Chapter 75-Breakthrough
325 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Breathe in, breathe out. And repeat for an hour. 

In actuality, that wasn’t quite what I was doing. The task I was really trying to perform was the act of taking mana from the atmosphere and absorbing it into my body. But since I was getting nowhere with this, I was doing little more than sitting with my eyes closed. And while pleasant, my magical ability remained very unchanged. 

“Azel, try to imagine sucking in the mana around you through your head,” Zeph offered with an apologetic look. 

Although she had been giving me this advice for a while, I haven’t been able to make much use of it. Of course I don’t blame her. The act of taking in mana is just something people figure out through instinct. And while the general  process has been documented, every mage still has to figure out the process using their own instincts and luck. 

Another few hours passed without a single change. With that, Zeph and I returned home with nothing to show for our efforts. Well this has been going on since yesterday already so we were already getting accustomed to it. 

In addition, I was taking an extended break from my job as the temporary Doux of Damask. While Minerva had suggested a weeklong break, I was enjoying my rest quite a bit and decided that a few more days wouldn’t hurt. 

More importantly, the local priestess of Sol affirmed that I was free of Aentaerope’s influence. As such, I could return to work whenever I decided to. 

When I got home, Zeph and I parted ways within the lobby. I went to cook dinner while Zeph went to her room for a quick nap. And I was busy making dinner, I felt a pair of arms wrap themselves around my waist.

“Welcome back dear,” Sekh giggled cheerfully. “So what do we have for dinner today.”

Turning around, I reached for Sekh’s fluffy feline ears and gave them a good rub. 

“I’m making porridge with the leftovers from lunch and some of the smoked meat in the storage. After that I’m washing some fresh vegetables to steam.”

“I’ll take care of the vegetables then,” Sekh declared, her tail waving about excitedly. “And don’t even think about stopping me. I can take care of this much at least.”

“I wasn’t going to stop you,” I told her. “Well, I do require that you wear an apron while in the kitchen.”

Sekh tilted her head to the side with a cute expression on her face.

“But you don’t ever wear one. Wait. I know now. I’ll get to it right away.”

Just like that, she bounded out of the kitchen excitedly. Within minutes, she came back with a thick apron over her regular clothes. While there was the possibility that she would opt to go naked and wear just an apron, Sekh knew that I wanted a mature, almost motherly, look the most.

“Alright dear, I’m ready,” Sekh declared happily when she got inside the kitchen in her new outfit. “So dear, how do I look?”

I threw a smile her way while stirring the pot of porridge. 

“Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous.”

With that, Sekh began to giggle uncontrollably, clearly enjoying my praise. 

“By the way Sekh, have you wondered what it might be like if you had paws instead of feet and hands?” I asked her as we were cooking. 

“It would be inconvenient at least,” she replied. “Honestly, it would be really odd now that I think about it.”

“That makes sense,” I commented. “Though it would be really sexy.”

“Ok, Azel, calm down,” Sekh said worriedly. “You’re supposed to fuck me, not an actual cat.”

“No need to get jealous,” I told her jokingly. “I’m not that much of a degenerate. Not that much.”

“That’s true,” Sekh chuckled. “By the way Azel, how do you feel about magic lessons with Zeph?”

“I’m not sure,” I answered. “Nothing’s happening so I guess I would say that it’s boring.”

“Well don’t feel down about it,” Sekh consoled me. “Even if it takes forever, I won’t think anything less of you. In fact, I really admire how hard you’re trying even though progress is slow.”

“Thanks,” I replied warmly.

I think Sekh was most likely concerned that my ego had taken a hit from my relatively slow progress. Well, I was mostly comparing myself to Zeph and Mikhail who aren’t necessarily ordinary mages. Still, it took me longer than the average mage to sense mana. And if that trend continues, I have a few more days before I can even start manipulating mana. 

Another day went by and I was showing no signs of progress. Well, it was to be expected based on my prior rate. 

However, the good news was that the next day was a break day. And that meant that Minera and I had time to go with each other to the bookstore. 

That morning, I woke up to my usual routine of training with Zeph. In regards to progress, Zeph has been making small improvements here and there. While she’s still a rookie with the lance, she’s certainly better than before. If she makes enough progress, Gregorius plans to teach her swordsmanship to round out her training. So much for not being his squire. 

As for my own progress, I’ve noticed that the way I handle my spear has changed ever so slightly. Although not extreme, my movements have become more efficient than before and I feel that I have more tools to use for future situations. 

But that’s not quite so important now. Because in front of me was a blushing Minerva wearing a purple cotton shirt and white pants. I had expected her to go in a dress, but I was certainly open to seeing Minerva in such a cute outfit. 

“You look wonderful,” I complimented her. “Though I’m curious why you haven’t worn this outfit before.”

“I didn’t even know I had this dress,” Minerva told me. “When you told me to dress up for our date, I started looking through my wardrobe. Then I found this set hidden away. I probably put it out of view since I didn’t think I would find myself in a situation where it was suitable.”

“Well you’re in such a situation now,” I jested, prompting Minerva to nod happily. 

The two of us walked side by side together to the bookstore. Granted we weren’t holding hands, so we looked more like two close friends. At least we would if Minerva wasn’t pretending to be a cherry. But I found it cute so I think it worked out. 

When we arrived at the store, the clerk happily greeted us, clearly relieved that Minerva was back. After Minerva apologized for not visiting in a while, the two of us went to the library portion of the establishment to do our usual thing. 

“What do you think about this character, Azel?” Minerva asked me as we were discussing a story.

I scratched my cheek for a moment while I considered my answer. 

“Well I can’t really relate to her on a personal level. I think we simply have different morals, because in her situation I would certainly kill someone who hurt the people close to me. If not out of anger, I would at least prevent similar occurrences happening later. But I think that her decision to not kill someone is the right thing since she’s only 15 at the time of that event. And her personality as well as life experiences clearly indicate that she is someone who wouldn’t kill a person unless deemed absolutely necessary. In fact, letting the villain live out of hope that she will change for the better captures the youthful innocence and optimism of the character.”

“I absolutely agree,” Minerva declared as loud as someone could in a library. “I really hate when people want characters to sacrifice their established character just to fulfill a power fantasy for the readers.”

“Yeah, I feel the same way,” I replied. “Though I do like a fantastical world where things go your way once in a while.”

“That’s a bit funny coming from you,” Minerva chuckled. “After all, most people can only dream of having powers like you. Though I guess it doesn’t really make your life easier.”

“Actually, it does make my everyday life easier,” I answered with a light laugh. “Though the issue is that it introduces other occasional problems into my life. So it overall balances things out.”

“My point stands then,” Minerva offered with a cheeky smile, causing me to laugh which led to Minerva laughing along with me. 

After discussing till around noon, Minerva and I left the store to get lunch. But instead of going to the regular establishment, Minerva decided to try out a fancy restaurant for the city elite.

“Azel, I’m paying today,” Minerva informed me when we were walking through the streets. “You already gave me a gift so consider this a sort of return gift. And don’t worry, I make about as much money as you do.”

“That sounds fine,” I replied. “Though I might just have to get you another gift in that case.”

Minerva sighed upon hearing this, an exasperated look appearing on her face. 

“Please, don’t start a gift giving cycle between us. You know how bad those things can get.”

I flashed a teasing grin at Minerva, making her pout in the process. 

“Yeah, yeah, I know. But, I do want to treat you once in a while. So you don’t have to feel like you owe me anything.”

“A little is fine,” Minerva mumbled. “But I absolutely can’t stand the thought of leeching off of you.”

“You aren’t,” I assured her. “Honestly, I might be leeching off of you considering how much you’ve done in my absence.”

“Azel, that would be considered relying on others,” Minerva informed me, provoking a light chuckle from me. 

The restaurant we arrived at was truly one meant for the rich. The layout of the dining room resembled a dance hall more than a restaurant with the rich drapings and numerous chandeliers. All the tables were arrayed in a circle around a raised platform where musicians performed. In addition to the live music, high quality paintings populated the walls and the tables were richly decorated with fine cloth and scented candles. 

Since Minerva and I were well recognized within the city, we were quickly ushered to one of the more luxuriant booths which sat near the back of the room. 

“Have you been to establishments like these before?” Minerva asked me when we sat down.

“Hardly,” I answered. “Well I had to attend quite a few ceremonies as a hero but I never really enjoyed them. It’s not as though I stick out in such an environment, I just don’t enjoy it.”

“That makes sense,” Minerva commented with a cute grin. “I’m not one for these places either, but I’ve received plenty of training on proper etiquette.”

“I guess you could say that we’re pretty similar in that case,” I remarked jokingly, the two of us sharing a laugh afterwards. 

Our waiter arrived shortly after, bringing us a bowl of bread and nuts to snack on while we waited for our main course. 

As for what we ordered, the two of us decided to share a duck roasted with herbs, spices from Fars, and lemons. Along with the duck, we were also sharing a wine from Megara, a salad of greens and crushed, as well as rice cooked in rich broth with spice. 

Naturally the both of us ate normally instead of feeding each other like we did at home. Still, I found myself enraptured in smalltalk with Minerva the whole time.

On a side note, I’m quite happy that the restaurant provided us with a large duck so I didn’t have to worry about not leaving enough food for Minerva. Though I think they were quite surprised when I managed to eat everything, with a little help from Minerva of course. 

“You know Azel, I honestly like it when you cook more,” Minerva told me as we were walking back home. “I don’t why it just seems to taste better to me.”

“Either your taste buds are broken or it’s just bias,” I teased, tapping her lightly on the mouth. “Because I can’t cook anywhere near the level of the chef at that place.”

“It’s bias then,” Minerva declared happily. 

Despite the atmosphere between us, Minerva had declined to hold hands with me. And while unfortunate, I didn’t want her to start emitting steam during the middle of the day.

The two of us got back to the Bureau a few hours after noon and were greeted by the sight of Sekh absolutely rolling everyone else in the building at a game of cards. And although Minerva and I immediately received invitations, the two of us declined and retired to a room upstairs to cuddle. 

"So when are you returning to work?” Minerva asked me as she rested her head against mine on a sofa. 

“Maybe in a few days,” I answered, causing Minerva to look somewhat glum. “Is something wrong?”

“No, I’m just being selfish,” she told me. “I really do like getting spoiled by you everyday, but I know you have to start working again.”

“That doesn’t mean I can’t spoil you,” I suggested while nuzzling my cheek against hers. “Though it means I can’t do it as much.”

“That’s the problem,” Minerva sighed. “But don’t worry, I understand that you can’t just stay home forever.”

“At least not now,” I told her. “Whether or not that stays true in the future is completely different.”

For a while, the two of us snuggled against each other in peace. At least until I realized that I had training with Zeph during the afternoon. 

While I would like to believe that such an eventful day with Minerva would lead to some breakthrough, I made absolutely no progress that day. 

Instead, it took me another four days until I finally made my breakthrough. As I was sitting still and focusing on the mana flowing around me, something just clicked. 

The mana that was once just flowing around suddenly traveled into my body. And it felt awful, it genuinely felt awful. It was as sickly, almost putrid, feeling as the mana soaked into me. Unable to hold back, I bent over on the grass and almost vomited. 

“Azel, just stay calm and breathe” Zeph told me while rubbing my back to ease the sickly feeling. “I know it feels terrible but it’s going to subside, trust me.”

Well, it did subside. It just took thirty minutes to happen. I guess that’s why mana is considered toxic to people.

“Zeph, is it normal for it to take this long to recover?” I asked her when I no longer felt the desire to regurgitate my entire previous meal. 

“Roughly,” she answered. “Based on how long you took to recover, your mana threshold is probably around average. Maybe less.”

“Well that sucks,” I sighed. “Really feels like a poor reward for resisting an actual god.”

“I agree,” Zeph replied. “But that doesn’t mean that you’ll be useless. It all depends on what your magical ability is. Even if your threshold is somewhat low, that just means you can’t constantly use your ability. That’s bad for some abilities like water, but more for something like lightning it just means you have to be more cautious with your usage of magic.”

“I’m saved then,” I chuckled. “Because I think a destruction based ability shouldn’t require constant mana usage.”

“Hopefully,” Zeph said. “But in any case, let’s take a break for today. I don’t think you should push yourself more now.”

Still somewhat nauseous from my experience, I nodded in agreement as Zeph lent me her hand. 

13