Paradise, Part 13 The Yakuza
1.5k 7 49
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 14

 

POV Archer

 

The commander was scary to say the least. At first glance, you wouldn’t think that she could be so strong or threatening. Standing at…well…very short, she’s probably one of the least threatening looking person you could encounter. That is until you meet her of course.

 

When we were first introduced to each other, I couldn’t really believe that a little girl was going to be my commander and my men. Naturally, I challenged her in order to take back that right…and ended up waking in the hospital wing a week later along with most of my men. The scary fact would be that I could tell she was going easy…no, she was deliberately holding back in order to not kill us. I don’t know her origins, story, or anything but she is easily one of the most powerful individuals in the world. How GrandLine managed to get someone like her is beyond me.

 

I was skeptical about her leadership and ability to take charge in a raid or stressful situation but it turns out there really wasn’t much to worry about. She was a true natural at leading the team and making us function like a perfect team, a well oiled machine. Second, there was never a stressful situation. Due to her overwhelming strength and her tendency to go in alone, we never found ourselves in true danger or risk. Of course, neither I nor my men were complaining about this outcome; we were paid good money for doing this and if the commander was going to make it extra easy for us? Why not.

 

For months, I lead the my squad across the world (mostly Eastern Europe) to clean out the market and rats before the GrandLine enters the business. Being called to Japan was just another one of the usual. Meeting up with the Commander once we arrived there along with four other teams, we were given the list and information of what we were to do.

 

Over the next week, we cleaned out approximately two dozen groups of rats in the city. As expected, it was easy…too easy. With the Commander in the lead, each raid never lasted longer than ten minutes and the cleanup crew began to (jokingly) complain about how they were behind schedule because of us.

 

This day wasn’t really different except that our target was out of the ordinary. Groups that we usually raided and cleaned were thugs or gangs that were trying to crawl out and enjoy the sun with the death of you-know-who; this was a yakuza. I’ve heard plenty of Yakuza stories and even more Yakuza movies but in reality, Yakuza’s are different from your average gangster organization.

 

The biggest answer was their chivalrous behavior. Perhaps it was their rumored origins from Noble Samurais who protected villages (for a fee) but their rules of conduct were strictly maintained and protected as they called it their ‘Honor’. Thins other crime families or Mexican Cartels might profit on was deemed ‘incorrect behavior’ by the Yakuza such as the use or selling of drugs. Thefts and robbery was met with punishment internally and any ‘indecent’ acts what would bring ‘dishonor’ to their group was frowned upon as well.

 

Due to this behavior and mindset, the Yakuza are a tricky group for a nation’s police and legal force. They were bad, but had honor and morals. They scammed, but they were honest in their dealings. Heck, the bigger Yakuza organizations even had their own lawyers to protect them legally!

 

They were driven by money and were willing to do anything to get it…except ones that would bring more trouble than it is worth. Namely, trouble with the government. They would often exploit the powerless and nameless who were already abandoned by society. That way, the government couldn’t really do anything about it and nor could the victim. Their front businesses were shady…but legal, although barely.

 

Yakuza’s were tricky as they were smart.

 

On their backside, most of them were experts in avoiding detection. Twisting their ‘sacred’ code, they organized prostitution, gambling, loans, arms deals, stock market manipulation, and many many blackmails against influential members to gain the upper hand on anything they could.

 

Yakuza’s were tricky as they were cunning.

 

So why were we here? Sure the Yakuza’s did the things there could be considered ‘immoral’ but they made sure that their blood never reached the streets. They exported money…but they paid their taxes and licensing fees and acknowledged rights of others…as long as they weren’t a rival group.

 

Ironically, it was the Yakuza’s who were first to help the common people after the many natural disasters in Japan (Earthquakes and Tsunamis to name a few); even faster than the government or any emergency relief organizations. A true paradoxical criminal organization. At this point, can it even be called a criminal organization?

 

No need to worry about them since no Yakuza would be foolish enough to see the GrandLine in the same stage as they are in. Especially since the diminishing number, size, and influence the Yakuza have since the appearance of quirks and villains.

 

I was feeling morally conflicted.

 

Me: *sigh*

 

I must be getting old to get the feels for doing something like this. It’s not like I haven’t done ethically disgusting acts in the past. Besides, I was getting paid big bucks for this job and GrandLine made it very clear that it was my job to carry out orders, not ask them.

 

It would be in our best interest to play ‘ignorant but good solider’ and continue our jobs and everyone I care about would come out safe and insured.

 

As the rest of us brought out their firearms, the Commander walked right up to the ‘Shie Hasaikai’ Yakuza organization’s main gate before ringing the doorbell.

 

*ring* *ring* *ring* *ring*

 

Commander: If they don’t answer another time, we’re busting in.

 

*ring* *ring* *ring* *ring*

 

Letting the bell ring for a couple more seconds, she calmly walked away from the bell before directly facing the wooden gates. Getting the signal, the rest of us also backed away before raising our guns in case of resistance…well, not like the Commander would need it anyway.

 

Commander: *smirk*

 

??

 

She let out a smirk just as she produced a massive force blade that bisected the entire gate…and the man who had just opened the gate. As the gate splintered into pieces, the yakuza gang member’s blood began to seep onto the wooden remains and the grass in the courtyard.

 

Ignoring the fact that a possibly innocent gang member was murdered, the commander walked directly through the splintered and bisected remains as the rest of us followed. We formed a clock formation as we made our way through the rather well-kept front yard, traditional Japanese style. Finally reaching the door, we were greeted by an old man.

 

Commander: … Why hello there. I would have appreciated it if you had sent your minion to answer the door faster. We had no choice but to take violent action, you see?

 

A couple of men behind the old man got loud and began shouting but the old man held up his hand, silencing them, before addressing the commander once again.

 

Oyabon: I am the Oyabon (boss) of Shie Hassaki. Normally when strangers first meet, they introduce themselves but I guess that is too low for important people such as yourselves?

 

Was that a diss or a self-diss?

 

Oyabon: I know very well that you knew that my man was behind that door when you killed him. While I do admit that it infuriates me for your actions, your provocation will not work. I am no fool to attack the GrandLine. I know where our organization stands and we want no part of this operation your enterprise is doing.

 

Commander: … I don’t care. Your organization’s involvement with Trigger in the past is enough reason to remove you. You might have cleaned your hands from that business but your connections and knowledge still remains. I’m afraid we can’t have that.

 

A man wearing a Plague Doctor’s mask behind the boss began to breathe heavily as if he was holding something back. As if he was trying to calm down his rage.

 

Oyabon: Now now, I’m sure you are making a mistake! We’re not like those villains roaming the streets. We have no connection to the Underworld Emperor or any quirk related businesses! We’re no threat to you!

 

As the boss raised his hands, we too raised our guns and aimed them at the men. Ready to fire on the commander’s orders.

 

Kai: You…you compare us to the villains? Those fools roaming around with no sense of honor or chivalry? Those COWARDS??!!

 

Commander: *chuckle* Is there a difference?

 

Oyabon: Chisaki! Calm yoursel—-NOO!!

 

The Plague mask wearing man (Kai) lunged forward with his hands towards the commander. Big mistake. Like always, the commander’s body bent at an impossible angle as she dodged his hand before tripping him down.

 

He got up immediately before trying to catch her. As he began to rapid fire his hands trying to land a hit, the Commander dodged every single one of them…all while her two feet stayed still on the ground.

 

Watching this, the Oyabon became pale as he began yelling at Kai to stop this at once, but Kai nor the Commander wasn’t hearing any of this. Mid-dodge, the Commander sent us the hand signal that meant

 

Shoot

 

Just as our guns began to blast, a hand shot our towards one of my subordinates (Heavy) as it connected and he exploded into a shower of blood and gore. But the strangeness didn’t end there as suddenly there was a tiny cube of transparent pink around us as somehow it looked as if time was being rewound for Heavy. His bits began to return to their original position as he was being rebuilt. Drop by drop, shred by shred.

 

All of us watched in fascination and awe as the dead man seemingly came back to life…just moments after combusting.

 

Looking towards the commander, I could tell it was her that had done something as her hands were flicking around before the pink light disappeared. While normally this would be where the drama ends, it was just beginning.

 

The air got oppressive and got harder to breathe (even with our masks on) as if a heavy force was pressing down on us. While my team found it hard to breathe, we looked to the yakuza’s to see that they were literally on the ground, holding their throats in hope that they could force air down into their lungs.

 

The air sparked as black lightning began to manifest around the commander. Although I couldn’t see her face due to the gas mask (like always), just from the aura alone I could tell that she was furious.

 

Commander: Well this is embarrassing. Was I just…ignored?

 

Oh this was bad, this was horribly bad! As a rule number one, you never anger the commander. She was never known for her restraint or her manners to begin with…this wasn’t going to end well was it?

 

Commander: When you choose to attack me bird, then you keep your attention on me. You don’t go for my subordinate or did you perhaps think you can actually take us? Also, do you know how annoying it is to bring a concept back into existence?!

 

She stepped forward slowly. Each of her steps cracking the stone underneath, unable to endure the pressure she was emitting. Kai’s body and face was pressed down flat on the ground, his plague mask flattening on the side as it began to smoke from the crackling air.

 

Our commander grabbed him by his hair before forcibly pulling him up to his knees. A look of anguish was shown on Kai’s face before the lightning intensified; now it looked as if he was simply trying to stay conscious in her presence.

 

He reached forward with his hand and touched her stomach…but nothing happened. A look of pure shock was shown on Kai’s face as whatever he did to Heavy did not work on her. Of course it wouldn’t, it was the Commander.

 

Syrup: No no…we’re not playing that game anymore. Let’s play mine instead. I hit you once and you try not to die, got it?

 

One arm holding the poor man in place, her other arm got ready for a punch. As she held it for a moment, the air around her arm rippled before cracking with the same black lightning.

 

I wasn’t even able to see her hands. It was simply one moment his head was there and the next moment he was gone…except he wasn’t. Somehow he put his hand on his head the moment her punch connected. Just as it splattered into nothing, it was assembled back together again. One more man who had experienced death and came back.

 

Commander: Dismantling and Assembling. What an interesting combination.

 

Kai: *huff* *huff* What…what are you!

 

The Commander obviously. Someone you just don’t fuck with.

 

Commander: You died. I sensed you die, and yet you are alive. I guess this is a tie since I killed you but you managed to resurrect yourself somehow.

 

With that, she let go of him as Chisaki Kai crumpled onto the ground, The Boss let out a sigh of relief seeing as the biggest source fo conflict was no over.

 

Commander: Alright, I’ve made up my mind. GrandLine’s medical takeover has already been completed but we’re not ready to enter the Quirk market yet. Preparation and securing everything will take at least 6 months. Until then, it’s our job to make sure no scum, rats, or dirty scavengers are around us.

 

She pointed at the now-unconscious Kai

 

Commander: Normally I would kill you, him, and this entire organization but he’s quite strong. So I’ll make you a deal. We will pass our responsibilities onto you to secure this location. Until our Branch quarters are built in Japan, we will be using your place as a temporary base seeing that the location is quite good.

 

Oyabon: But…but…

 

Commander: If I hear any sound of betrayal, misconduct, or information leak, or failure to abide by our rules and expectations…well, there are reasons why nobody survived to tell that tale.

 

She turned back and signaled the truck to come pick them up while opening up her phone and made a call. The receiver was whom surprised me greatly.

 

Commander: Kyudai? I’ve found the perfect place to continue Project Nomu.

 

49