Chapter 48 – Interlude: J
83 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Today was going to be a god day. The man felt it. He felt it in his… not soul, no… not heart either. He felt it in his pockets. That was the mood with which he woke up with. Stretching, yawning, the man looked around. His sheets were fresh, the sunlight was streaming inside his room quite beautifully and there was a tray set on a small table, next to his bed, full of his favorite choices for breakfast. Yes. The start of a good day.

Of course, most days had been good days lately. The last bad day the man experienced, had been quite a while ago. He didn’t feel all of them in his pockets, of course. Some days were good simply because se saw his daughter laugh at a new delight. Other were good because he received good news. But this one he was sure would be a good day for his pockets. It wasn’t a Skill, though. Just honed experience.

So, he got up, changed from his nightwear to his daywear and drank a Refreshing Draught. Good food, exercise and a healthy lifestyle were keystones to having a healthy body and a healthy mind. Or one could buy expensive Refreshing Draughts. You still needed everything else, but it allowed one to cut corners.

Finishing with his breakfast and his morning light reading, the man stood up and walked to his balcony. Resting his hands on the stone railing, he looked out and observed his kingdom. Or rather it should be said, his Barony.

***

“Your liege, I have prepared the list of activities requiring your counsel for today. Should I start with the most important ones or just go over them as they are?”

“Hmm. No to either.” The man cheerfully informed his majordomo.

Who was an actual |Majordomo|.  No sparring expenses in The Barony. And who was also used to his ruler’s whims.

“Of course, my liege. Do you have any activities in mind or may I suggest a few that might interest you?”

That was how most days in his life started. Narau, his |Majordomo| would present to him a lost of… things requiring his assistance. Chores, he preferred to think of them. And unless he already knew of them and they really were important, he would decline to take interest. At least for the first part of the day. Sometimes the entire day. And still his man presented them.

Which was why The Baron had chosen him to be his aide. Oh, he was perfectly aware of how others thought of him. A creature of comfort said some, a creature of vice said others. They were right too. It was part of his genius, the way he looked at life and part of what allowed him to succeed. But to rule, he needed minders. And Narau was the man for the job.

Especially because while he persisted in trying to make his liege take action the first thing in the morning, he wasn’t discouraged when he was always refused. Instead of sulking, he always offered his liege a series of more enjoyable activities to pursue, to… put him in the mood, so to speak.

I hit a goldmine when I found you, Narau. As I always do.

“I think I’ll visit my daughter first, Narau. Assuming she doesn’t consume all of my energy, I’ll see to attending those who require my presence.”

“Of course, my liege.”

“You may still inform me of any news on my way there.” The Baron informed him. “I’ve read the morning’s report, but some things always happen during the night.”

“Yes, my liege. Nothing important happened last night. The only thing of note was that a shipment of grain has been lost to bandits.”

“Hmm.” The Baron frowned. “I agree that a shipment of grain is not important, Narau, but I don’t like the idea of bandits in my lands. Nor of them succeeding in capturing what is mine.”

“It had already been handled, my liege. The bandits have been captured and imprisoned. The wardens will decide their fate, if you choose not to involve yourself directly. The grain has also been recovered intact.”

He nodded, while Narau continued.

“But something of note had happened this morning. A letter from the Kingdom of Amenor has arrived. It came alongside the payment for their last order.”

“Oh?”

“Yes. It is the same request as last time. Only this time, it was written and signed by their king.” The man said.

“That is interesting. And you are sure of this?” he asked, quirking an eyebrow.

“I am, my liege. Skills have been used to confirm this.”

So, you are doing something. And its important enough for a ‘king’ like you to stoop so low as to speak with someone like me.

It should be said that each kingdom, barony, local or great power had its focus. The Kingdom of Amenor is martially inclined. Oh, it has agriculture, of course. But its strength has always been in its swords and men. Not that it could use them in times of peace. So sad.

And lately and by lately this should be taken as more than a few years, Amenor has asked of the Barony to lend it weapons. The Baron refused. Then, Amenor asked to know if it could buy weapons from them. This The Baron accepted, but only at a steep price. After all, Amenor was not a well-liked kingdom. Where else could they buy their goods from?

Of course, while unusual, this wasn’t unnatural. Kingdoms sometimes had a surplus of certain goods and a lack of certain other. While direct trade between two monarchs was rare, it did happen. Especially since The Baron made a habit of ignoring all messages coming from Amenor that weren’t written by their ‘king’ himself. All important ones, anyway. Oh, the old man still tried to use his |Quartermaster| as a scribe, but The Baron could be as stubborn as he was brilliant.

So no, not unusual. Not in this regard. A couple of things were odd, however. First, Amenor had requested to deliver their payment in goods, rather than coin. It didn’t offend The Baron, his people could make a profit from working the price differences on those goods, but it did make him curious. Just what kind of a kingdom has such a surplus of raw goods? Food he could understand, but raw ore? Why not smelt it? Leather as well.

Second, while the kingdom of Amenor regularly requested shipments of arms, armor, potions and the like, it very recently started asking for artifacts. Arrows capable of piercing and burrowing. Swords that could cut even the best of metals. Wands that would kill indiscriminately, regardless of armor.

You are still fighting the same old war, |Lord| of Amenor. You have never stopped fighting it. What a fool you are… Still, a fool with deep pockets.

The Baron disliked war. It was bad for trade. But, if Amenor wanted to again wage war on their old enemy, who was he to stop it? Especially if The Barony made a profit.

Because that was what The Barony was. Who The Baron was. His kingdom was one specialized in trade. They had their fair share of artisans, but trade was what kept his people growing. His lands too. He had been born… not poor, but not nearly rich enough to satisfy him. So, he became a merchant. Then a |Merchant|. He was good at that. Gifted. Brilliant. It made him rich enough to buy his way into a marriage with a local noble house. The daughter of a lord became his wife. And he became a |Lord| in time.

If the story had ended there, most people in his place would have been satisfied. Most people. Not him. He wished to be ever greater, ever bigger. And the snotty fools around him disgusted him, being so proud of their blood that they failed to see the stagnation that was killing them. He swore that he would not end like them. So, he did what he did best.

He expanded. His father-in-law died, leaving him the lord of a very minor local power. He managed it. Nurtured it. Grew it until his ‘kingdom’ absorbed others. Not by war, though there had been a few who tried to attack him. No, simply by trade. First, starve the other powers of what they needed to thrive. Then, offer them a piece of the pie, if they’re willing to bend the knee. It usually worked. Usually. A few mercenary armies were sometimes involved.

Still, he grew so much, both himself and his kingdom, that the world itself recognized his efforts. |Lord| was no longer a fitting Class for him. |Merchant| did not fully describe who he was. He was not yet a |King|, but he was more that what his Classes told him he was. So the world gave him a new Class.

|Baron of Trade|.

Why Baron? He had no idea. He did like name, though.

Thus, The Barony was born. And The Baron with it.

***

“Father!” a voice called out.

Cheerful and loud, almost as loud as he himself had been in his youth.

Viola, his daughter, came running at him, only for her to be swept up from her feet by his hug. She was the spitting image of his late wife. But she never gave him angry looks. Never looked own on him. She loved him as he loved her. The Baron’s heart.

“Father, look at this dress! It finally came. I ordered it from the Seamstress of Leviou. No one on the kingdom has one like it. And I bet no one in the neighboring kingdoms either. I cost a fortune! But look at it!”

The Baron’s heart had a spending problem. And she was just a little spoiled.

Then again, when your father was the wealthiest man around and he himself was known for his creature comforts, one would forgive her for growing up like that.

“It does look wonderful, my dear. The fabric is exquisite, as is the cut. Enchanted, I suppose?”

“Oh yes!” she gleamed. “It’s enchanted to be lightweight, durable, the works. But it’s also enchanted to make sure the wearer, me, is instantly noticed. And it alters perception, to make sure the wearer is perceived as the fairest in any given gathering.”

“Such enchantments do not always work, in my experience. They do on commoners, but not if… say, a |Prince| would gaze on you. Or someone of high-level.”

Her cheerful look instantly turned troubled and that solidified The Baron’s suspicions.

You were planning on using this to awe someone of high-birth. Need to nip this in the bud.

Viola had reached, to The Baron’s immense wariness, the age at which she would receive suitors. Unfortunately, just like her father, she had high tastes. That, in and of itself, wasn’t a problem. One should have high tasted, he thought.

No, the problem was that even as rich as was, the old nobility still looked down on him and his daughter for his humble origins. Viola was pretty, he thought. He might be looking at her with a father’s eyes, but he did think her pretty. Not the prettiest, but fine enough for her to woo any potential prospects.

But if you’ve spent a ‘fortune’ on such a dress, the suitors making eyes at you are not the same you’re making eyes at.

“My dear, we’ve talked about this. There are some who… look down on us. Perhaps they themselves think we are not worthy, perhaps they are forced to think that way by their family. A dress enchanted to be… mind-altering is not something to use on a person if high birth. Even if it would work, once discovered it might cause accusations of manipulation. Which it is. Very much so.”

“But… father, I only wanted to use this to create an opening. You always say that the first step to getting what you want is to get your foot through the door.” Viola said, innocently.

Too innocently.

Wonderful. Now she listens to me. And her expressions are getting rather good.

“True. But the game cannot always be played the same with every player. Some of them take offense, even if you bested them rightly.”

She looked put out, so The Baron once more tried to obtain the information he had been looking for.

“However. If you tell me who it is you… wish to make your acquittance, I might be able to intercede on your behalf. I am quite high-leveled. My Skills work better then such enchantments.” He smiled.

Come on. Tell me who you’re after. Almost there.

His daughter was not one to easily fall into a trap. He taught her much to well for that. But she was also desperate. And he had not lied. If the one she wanted was not a vile, despicable sort of old-breed nobility, he would honestly help her. If he was, however…

Viola’s eyes darted back and forth, but she opened her mouth, as if to speak.

Which was when one of his guards blasted into the room, wide eyed and breathing hard.

Gods damn it, if this isn’t a catastrophe, I’ll demote this man to latrine duty.

“My liege, the |Guard Captain| has urgently asked for your presence. Something has happened. It’s- I do not know what it is, bu-“

“Describe it.” The Baron coolly ordered. “As best you can”.

“A… a pillar if light, my liege. To the east. It’s miles and miles away, but it touches the sky.

‘Catastrophe’. The Gods are mocking me.

***

He ran. The Baron was not a man who had reached as far as he did without learning to read the truth on a man’s face. And the truth on the guard’s face was simple. The man was afraid. He had trust in The Baron that he would resolve the situation, but he was terrified on the inside.

The second he saw that, he ordered the guard to take him where he was needed, sprinting down the hallways of his castle. He had shouted at Narau to keep his daughter safe. Lock her in her room, before coming to him. Viola would be upset, but she would understand. Like her, she was no fool.

The Baron only hired the best. He had the coin, so he could pay for top quality. His |Guards| had actual Classes. He made sure they were well trained before he took them into his service. They were not easily spooked, let alone terrified. His |Guard Captain| was experienced, a veteran of wars and insurrections. He would not ask for his presence lightly. That the man felt he needed to be present… to see.

The Baron ran. He was not old, just slightly over forty years in age. He was not fat. He was thin, though no one would call him fit. And still he felt his heart beating out of his chest, as he ran down stairs and up again, turning and twisting among hallways to reach his destination.

What has happened?

His answer came when he finally reached the balcony, where his |Guard Captain| had called him to. There were others there as well. Narau, since his |Majordomo| had a Skill that allowed him to easily be where he needed to be in the castle. But also his personal guard. A |Court Mage|. One of his two |Generals|. And more individuals of note. Apart from Narau, all of them were staring at the open sky. He understood why when he reached them.

Spreading from the earth to the sky, a pillar of light stood in the distance. The Baron couldn’t tell how far it was, but he noticed he couldn’t make out the start of it. It was obscured by hills. Far away hills.

“What is that?” he asked.

“We do not know, my liege.” The captain answered. “We have been able to discern its location, but there is nothing of note in the area. Just plains. The beam of light is obviously magical in nature.”

“It is, yes, my liege.” The mage hurriedly continued. “I have done an analysis, but I sense nothing harmful emanating from it. From what I can tell, it’s is just… light.”

“Light.” The Baron said. “Light that stretches from the ground to the sky. Does it pose a threat?”

Before the mage could answer, his general cut in.

“The magic users say it does not, my liege, but I urge you to close the city. I have never seen anything like this before. Even if it is harmless, such magic is not generated without purpose. Until we discover said purpose, The Barony’s safety should be top priority.”

It was a good thought, for a military man. Expected. But not encompassing enough.

“Closing the city completely would hamper trade, if not make it grind to s stand still.” The Baron said. “And trade is our life blood. Get your man ready, |General|. Be prepared for any threat, mundane or magical. |Guard Captain|, alert the |Watch Captain|. Instruct him to post sentried at each entrance and have the men patrolling through the streets doubled.”

“Yes, my liege.”

“At once.”

The two men hurried off, decreasing the crowd on the balcony.

The Baron stepped forward, resting his hands on the sculpted stone railing. Something was troubling him. This… magic was not something he had ever seen before. It was awe inspiring. It should have terrified him. So why did it intrigue him instead?

“My liege?” Narau asked, voice unsteady.

“Something the matter, Narau?”

“My liege, you… you are smiling.” He said.

“…yes. I guess I am.” The Baron said, one hand reaching up to touch at his face.

It wasn’t something he could easily describe. But if he would have tried, he would have most likely said it was an old and familiar feeling. A pull.

His eyes widened.

Yes. There was a tingle in the back of his mind. One of his most prized Skills was begging to be used. That normally wasn’t how Skills worked, but years of experience and a respectable level afforded one more tricks than could be expected.

So that’s what it was. Well… let’s see.

“|I See an Opportunity|” The Baron spoke.

And light a veil being pulled off from his eyes, he finally saw. Oh, he didn’t see what the magic was and it wasn’t that he somehow learned all the history and meaning behind the magical beam of light. But his Skill did allow him to learn something.

It told him that whatever that light was, it was important. That is should be something he should take an interest in directly, not only safeguard his kingdom from. And most importantly, it told his that whatever the light signaled, it was something he could turn into a profit.

His was a Skill befitting the highest levelled |Merchants|. And as a |Baron of Trade|, he had made use of it in the past, always coming out ahead of the competition. The Baron smiled.

“My liege?” Narau asked again.

“Narau, go after the captain and the general. Once they’re done securing our safety, tell them they have a new set of instructions.” The Baron grinned. “They are to prepare fifty men. Well-armed and on horseback. Their leader should be no less than Level 20. His and their Classes should be combat oriented, but make sure they have scouts and magic users among them.”

“At once, my liege. But… why?”

“The are to go and inspect the source of that light. Make sure they have a scrying stone or other means of communication in their possession. I would to be kept up to date at all times. Once this group is assembled, I want them to ride out towards the source of this pillar if light post haste.” He said.

He turned then, to his |Majordomo| and others still gathered there on the balcony.

“I sense this magical event to be an opportunity. And that is what my kingdom was made of. Whatever that thing is, my subjects, I promise you that The Barony is the kingdom that will make best use of it.”

Narau assured him it will be done and hurried off, while the others tentatively tried to ask him more questions. They were used to The Baron’s way of making decisions, but he was still their liege. He had no ears from them. Turning back to the light in the distance, he smiled.

That was the strongest pull to my Skill in years. I wonder what it will bring me.

Joviel Larue, |Baron of Trade|, leader of The Barony, looked out in the distance and smiled.

Today really was going to be a good day.

***

Some events affect some more than others. That being said, a giant beam of light should affect everyone the same way, one would think. It was a wondrous magical event. It should.

A knight looked out in the sky and felt none of the awe a certain Baron did. Oh, he was certainly curious. He wandered what it meant for his kingdom. A deeper part of his mind also secretly wondered if a certain rag-tag group of nothings had anything to do with it, but he quickly ignored the thought.

If this was something he should concern himself with, Merial would be informed of it. Until then, he was busy.

In front of him stood twenty men and women holding swords. He was evaluating their stances. Watching them train. Considering which of them could make the cut, which had the potential of becoming knights.

Not that it mattered all that much, not for what had been planned. Knights were good. Squires all right. Even soldiers would work.

The Kingdom of Amenor would not be wasting its talent on such a target, even if did need that village in their possession. How would that look for the people? Therefore, Merial had offered himself as the instructor for their attack force. After all, he needed to be there as well. He needed to regain his honor.

He watched them, trained them, bled them. He did everything in his power to make sure this attack force was as prepared as they could be. So they wouldn’t be taken by surprise and shamefully defeated. Like he had.

The Kingdom of Amenor was building an army.

And Merial would be leading it.

4