Chapter 1: Should I Die Before I Wake
123 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Turf war: A battle over territory by spraying as much of the ground as possible with your team's ink color. Ever since I first saw the sport on television, I've been enamoured with it. The adrenaline, the bright colors, the fast-paced action, it was enough to get my blood pumping. I vowed to get in on the action, whether I was allowed to or not.

There was a Dynamo Roller on my left and a Blaster on my right. I was trapped, but a good fighter keeps her wits about her. I held my Splattershot Jr. tightly, a gun that's mostly used by newbies, but I wasn't about to let this detail phase me. I jumped backwards, firing my weapon in the direction of the blaster weapon.

He quickly shrunk into the form of a squid, diving into his own ink, and uh... I lost him. I looked around frantically, firing my weapon at the ink, replacing its green color with the purple reserves in my tank. Where was he...? I couldn't find him at all. He had to be in this ink somewhere.

"Newbie! Move your butt!" an angry voice shouted, confusing me. Move? Why? That's when I remembered... I forgot the roller. I turned around to see it. Closing my eyes, scared, I screamed. I thought this was it for me, but instead of getting ran over by the giant paint roller, I was pushed out of the way, a splatting noise filling my ears a second later. One of my teammates had sacrificed himself for me.

The whistle rang, and that was it. The game had ended, and I already knew the score. We had lost. I heard footsteps in the ink behind me, and I turned around to see him, the one who had pushed me out of the way.

He had brown-toned skin, and his haircut was rather weird, a bowl cut style. To accompany that style was a beret, purple from his ink color, his black v-neck t-shirt, black shorts, flip-flops, and his leather fingerless gloves. His yellow eyes looked me over, and then he gave me an odd look, as if he were disgusted with me. "Geez... You newbies. Why didn't you go squid?"

I knew the answer, sadly, but I couldn't tell him. "I um... I forgot what to do," I lied.

He rubbed the back of his neck. "Hm... I guess that's an okay explanation," he said. "Bet you were pretty scared of messing up. I used to be like that. Just gotta practice. When I first started out, I sometimes messed up this form. Ever have six fingers? Feels pretty weird."

I laughed as genuinely as I possibly could, nervous. I wasn't supposed to be out here, but... I couldn't resist proving a certain someone wrong. "No, I haven't," I replied.

"Yeah, it's pretty freaky," he said. "Anyways, I gotta go. Next turf war is starting at the Sturgeon Shipyard. You comin'? I can show ya the ropes."

I was about to say yes when my watch suddenly beeped. "I'm sorry," I said. "I gotta go, too. Um... Maybe meet up later sometime? Do you have a number?"

"Way ahead of ya," he said, taking a blue smartphone-like device from his pocket. Here, they call them squidphones, oddly enough. I took my pink squidphone out as well and we tapped them against each other, transferring numbers. It was a very convenient feature they had, and the squidphones even had a databank of information on other competitors if those competitors allowed their info to be shared.

Looking at my screen, his alias immediately came up as Ace, which made me wonder if it was his real name or if it was the name he chose when he first started participating in turf wars. He looked down at his own screen and commented, "Amelia, huh? Nice name."

"Thank you," I said. "I'll meet you later!" I shouted as I began running out of the Kelp Dome, a place normally used to grow plants in. How these inklings were allowed to have their games in here astounded me.

It took me hours, but I finally made it home. After sneaking through alleyways, making sure I wasn't seen by a certain someone, a certain someone who I knew would be furious if they had found out I snuck my way into a turf war. Climbing up the apartment stairsteps, I made my way to Room 208. Reaching under the mat, I grabbed the spare key and, just as I was about to stand back up to unlock the door, it opened.

"I knew it. I knew it!" an electronic-like, but not monotone voice said. It was Nem-Nem. She's basically a humanoid version of an anemone, and she's very protective of me. Of course, she's not as bad as she seems. She just gets worried whenever I'm out without her. Having lived in Inkopolis for four years, I've gained many fond memories with her.

Even if those memories were mostly indoors.

"Nem-Nem! You're back early!" I said, surprised. She told me earlier she'd probably be out shopping all day, but it was only noon.

"You promised not to do this! Get inside!" Nem-Nem shouted, her pearlescent, milky white pupils staring at me with anger. She was so pretty, it was hard to take her seriously most of the time, but I did my best to listen to her. Her tentacle hair was straightening out from her fury, the shiny purplish surface reflecting light in such a way that it was often mesmerizing. It even complimented her light blue skin.

"Sorry, Nem-Nem," I said.

"Sorry, MA'AM," she corrected.

"Sorry, ma'am," I responded, looking down. Her voice was so weird, too. It always sounded like a robot, but always glitching, making it not as monotone as one would expect it to sound.

"What am I gonna do with you?" Nem-Nem complained.

"Come inside," she said, grabbing my arm. She very gently guided me in, taking me directly into the living room. For a small apartment, it was still a comfortable place to live. As I sat down on the couch, she sat in her chair, adjacent from me. "You could've gotten hurt," she said. She grabbed my arm and lifted it, looking at the Splattershot Jr. "Is this a shooter?!" Nem-Nem shrieked.

As she took the shooter away from me, I looked at the mirror across from me on the wall. My eyes, green as grass, were the only things I actually liked about myself. My dusty blonde hair barely stuck out from under my cap. I really needed to get it cut again. By now, Nem-Nem was a wiz with scissors. I never really liked my hair color. It could never be as bright as the colors in this world.

"I... I can take care of myself!" I said without full assurance. Nem-Nem was right. I could get hurt out there. That roller almost got me, and I can't come back like the inklings.

"Uh huh," Nem-Nem replied sarcastically. "And I suppose you can go squid, too!"

I stayed quiet. I had no argument against her. I'd seen them on television. Those inklings, they were something else. They had no bones, no fear, extreme flexibility and the ability to hide in their own ink. I was a human, someone who had bones to break, and I certainly wasn't as flexible. And to transform? That was a trait I could never hope to possess.

Suddenly, a sea of doubt was drowning my very being. I held back my tears as best I could. "But I can't stay inside all the time!" I choked out. For four years, I've been kept mostly inside, only allowed out with Nem-Nem by my side while wearing a good enough hat to hide my hair. I took mine off, looking at the brand name on it. It read 'Skalop', and it was a very efficient cap, allowing me to keep my hair hidden.

Although I used to have long hair, I had to have it cut in order to keep any from falling out of place. As for why it was such a big deal... A voice on the television answered that question, reminding me of why I had to keep hidden.

The reporter's voice on the television became more coherent as I focused on it. "...discussing various topics, including extinct species, such as monkeys, gorillas, and even humans. Tell me, Dr. Scalpel, why do you have such an obsession with humans, and how do you intend on reviving them when there is no complete DNA sequence to even sort through?"

The camera focused on a very scary-looking Doctor, his hair being made up of a mismatched assortment of white and black tentacles, and his eyes were bloodshot, making him look as if he hadn't slept in days. "Clearly," he said, "I'll find one. If Judd, our beloved turf war judge, came from a freezing coffin, then I have no doubt there are more with other animals inside, maybe some coffins even holding a human!"

"And why would you even want to revive one?" the pink-tentacled reporter asked. "Their intelligence is said to be limited compared to ours."

Dr. Scalpel's gray eyes stared at the reporter through his wireframe glasses, looking insulted. "I believe there to be bias in our studies," he said. "Only true intellects can separate fact from personal opinion."

The reporter giggled. "And do you intend to dissect one? That's what you do, don't you? I've heard wacky stories of you doing stuff like that."

"Well, they don't call me Dr. Scalpel for nothing," the scientist replied.

I winced at his cold tone. Nem-Nem, upon seeing my discomfort, stood up, then went over, turning off the television. She then approached me and sat next to me on the couch, pulling me into a hug. I didn't do anything. I just stood still. I felt a mixture of bad emotions: sadness, uncertainty, even a tiny hint of anger at my own situation.

"Nem-Nem, I've been inside for the longest time," I whispered, fighting back tears. "I can't stay in here forever."

Nem-Nem loosened her grip, then said to me, "Amelia. You know that I only want what's best for you. Ever since I was entrusted with you, I've been trying my hardest to keep you safe. I know you want to be outside, and I know you want to compete in turf wars."

I waited for the 'but' in her sentence.

"And I think it's finally time I let you," she said, much to my surprise. I looked up at her, and she looked back with a small smile. "I'm sorry... I've just been really scared of losing you."

"Y-You're really letting me do it?" I stammered out.

"Yes," she said, looking uncertain. "That's why I was out today. I was getting you a proper disguise."

"A proper disguise?" I repeated. She actually went out of her way to get me a better disguise? "But why now?"

She sighed, and then looked me in the eyes, her expression stern as she tried to battle her own feelings. "Well... inklings generally start participating around the age of fourteen, and considering your birthday was last month, I had a mental battle with myself. I didn't want to lose you, but I know you've been wanting this for a long time."

My heart nearly skipped a beat. This was the day I'd become an active competitor. "But aren't you supposed to be mad at me?" I asked, a little confused at her sudden change in behavior.

"I am," she answered, her eyes narrowing as she gave me an unapproving look. Nem-Nem could be scary sometimes. "You don't get dessert tonight."

!!!

Having lived with Nem-Nem, there was one thing I absolutely loved more than anything else, and that was Nem-Nem's homemade desserts. One wouldn't be able to tell at first glance, but Nem-Nem was actually a very skilled pastry chef, and it was a job that paid her well, considering inklings and other creatures of the deep loved culinary treats just as much as humans once did.

"N-No, Nem-Nem, please!" I begged. I had admittedly become addicted to sweets during my time here, and it was a habit I'd need to break later, but now...?

"Sorry," Nem-Nem replied, "but I won't stand for it. You snuck out, and you could've gotten hurt very badly. I nearly had a heart attack when I found out."

I frowned, giving her the best puppy-eyed look I could. "Please?" I whimpered.

"No," she said firmly. I couldn't win, and so I just gave up.

"I'm sorry," I said.

"You should be," she said. "Now stay here, I'll be back."

After she left the room, I thought back to when I had first arrived here. I was around nine or ten at the time, and I was very scared, having just woken up from a cryopod. A cryopod is a means to prolong the body, to keep it frozen until a specific amount of time passes. For me, it was ten thousand years.

Ten thousand years ago, my father, an American scientist, was working for a very special organization in Japan. He was in charge of overseeing the cryopods that would be used for their president and a small troop of soldiers.

Times were difficult, and I often remember the times my mother would yell at dad. She was always angry with him, but she was also very stressed. I couldn't really understand much except that the water was rising slowly every day. We were on the brink of extinction according to him.

During those days, my older brother and I were very close. We'd play so many of our little made-up games. I miss the times when we used to pick up old sticks on the shore and pretend to be pirates.

I guess you could also call him a nerd at times, as he would often read dad's books over and over, front-to-back. He was obsessed with science, and dad would spend all week with him, teaching him everything he knew, leaving only the weekend for my brother and I to play together.

Finally, the day had arrived. My father had brought me along with him, but not before making me say goodbye to mom. She was very upset, and she was crying very heavily. Although I didn't know it at the time, I know now. She knew what was going to happen. After our heartfelt goodbye, my brother and I went with dad to the research facility.

There were two pods for my brother and I...

I was sobbing hysterically. I didn't want to leave my dad. I didn't want to leave my home. My dad hugged me tight and told me my brother would be there when I woke up, and so would dad.

It was a lie.

Dad never went with us. He had to operate the controls, as there was no automated process. My brother went in first to show me it was safe. And then it was my turn.

It was cold.

The pod closed after I entered. I tried to remain calm, but I couldn't. I was too scared. I pathetically pounded on the seal with my small fists. Dad was calm, and he was smiling, and even though he was, I could see tears dripping down his cheeks. He typed at the computer and I could hear a beeping in my pod. An icy blue gas of some sorts. I could feel my body going numb, my heart rate slowing down, my thoughts barely coherent. My last thoughts were of mom. What would she do when dad came back?

And so I slept.

It felt really odd to sleep for ten thousand years. It felt really short, and I had to admit, I did have a few nice dreams, dreams of my brother and I playing together on the shore like we always did. It was almost as if I had never entered the pod.

And I awoke once more.

My pod was found by an archaeologist ten thousand years later, and although they couldn't care for me, they knew someone who would, and that was Nem-Nem. Although the archaeologist visits once a month, it was Nem-Nem who I formed a bond with.

I remember when I first met her. Her odd hair really scared me at the time, and at night, I'd lock the door, just to keep her out in case she would've tried to hurt me. At the time, I couldn't understand their language. It was all so foreign, and so I was still afraid they were going to do something bad to me. Because of this, I was always very wary of Nem-Nem.

Boy, was I wrong about her...

We eventually got to know each other that following month. I was out shopping with her one day and, to be honest, I got lost in the Inkopolis Plaza. I was really worried, freaking out a little.

All the alien creatures I saw terrified me. I couldn't stay around any of them, fearful of them attacking. Eventually I stayed in an alleyway, hiding from the rest of the public. It was there that she found me again. I tried not to let her see me cry, but then...

She held me like mom did.

She had wrapped her arms around me, holding me like mom did whenever I cried. From then on, I stuck by Nem-Nem, never leaving her side. I looked up to her for protection, fearful of this strange new world.

Over the next four years, she'd teach me the inkling language. Although it was difficult, I inevitably got the hang of it. It was soon that I'd be speaking at the same rate as any other sea creature. Though I still do mess up my wording from time to time.

As for that archeologist... He's a bit of an odd one. He only comes by once a month to check how I've grown. Afterwards he just leaves, mumbling something under his breath. When I could finally speak their language fluently, he explained that I was to be kept secret, that he knew of a community of scientists who would do anything to get their hands on a human or any other extinct mammal. Dr. Scalpel was one of those scientists, so it was very clear why I had to remain hidden.

I was suddenly snapped out of my train of thought as Nem-Nem came back with two paper bags. She reached into one and pulled out what looked to be a beanie and a cloth mask.

"What is that?" I asked.

"This is what the squid kids call a Sneaky Beanie." Nem-Nem explained. "It's got one main ability chip attached to it."

An ability chip was a special piece of inkling tech that would somehow increase a user's abilities in some way, shape, or form. It didn't matter what species it was or what weapon they were using. As long as the chip was properly installed into a piece of clothing, it would improve performance.

"What kind of chip is it?" I excitedly asked, a grin on my face.

Nem-Nem looked inside the beanie. "Oh. It's a, uh, Sub Power-Up. What's that for, splat bombs?"

"Yeah," I confirmed. "Sub Power-Ups can help strengthen smaller stuff like splat bombs, curler bombs, and other sub weapons." I was such a nerd when it came to inkling weaponry. I did everything I could to study their rules, their previous splatfests, even the competitors and their history.

"I want you to keep your gear on at all times, okay?" Nem-Nem warned. "Those ink shots can hurt you, you know. Remember last year?"

I did remember. There was an incident last year where I was pelted by several ink blobs coming from a Kensa Splattershot. From what I recall, they were much like being hit with the paintballs my brother used to have laying around. I remember back when he let me use his old paintball gun. It was hard to handle, but it felt exhilarating just to shoot it.

Nem-Nem handed me what appeared to be a regular grape-colored t-shirt. This... wasn't what I was expecting. "Um, Nem-Nem? Is this really compatible with the ability chips?" I asked.

"Huh?" Nem-Nem looked at the shirt. "Yeah? Why wouldn't it be?"

I looked closer, then saw two small circular slots inside the collar, a perfect fit for an ability chip. One of them had already been fitted with an ink saver ability chip. That must have been the main chip for this particular bit of gear. "Oh," I said. "So it is."

And then, she brought out what I never would've expected. A pair of Toni Kensa Black Hi-Tops, one of the most expensive brands. I stared at her, a look of shock on my face. She smiled back. "Didja really think I'd let you go out there without proper protection?" Nem-Nem asked.

"B-But this is 3-star gear!" I exclaimed, my smile finally appearing and catching up with the rest of me. "How did you get these?!"

"Oh, just a friend from college," Nem-Nem said. "He owed me for something I did for him a while back during finals week, the little cheater."

"W-Wow!" I shouted happily. I was bouncing up and down, excited to have my first set of gear. Most inklings would've had to have entered a few turf wars before being able to purchase this stuff. Wait... "Nem-Nem? Were you in a turf war?"

Nem-Nem blinked, surprised by my question. "Well, when I was younger, yeah. I grew out of it after a while because it just wasn't really my thing."

"Well, why not?" I asked.

"It just isn't. Too much going on at once, and it tends to really get to a person," she explained. "I still don't know how these kids keep up so well." Nem-Nem then looked me in the eyes and smiled. "You got this, okay?"

I nodded, then yawned, looking down at all the gear. This was, without a doubt, the happiest day of my life, and I couldn't have asked for anything more than this. Except maybe my brother.

That was another thing... When I woke up, the lab was in such a bad state, with everything having been covered by plantlife. The pod next to me was empty, my brother missing. I begged the strange archaeologist to help, but he didn't understand me at the time. When I could finally speak to him, he said the pod was overrun with vines when he got there, meaning my brother was gone for a long time.

I still wanted to find out what happened to him. Maybe now, since I could go out with this disguise, I could do more research. I looked up at Nem-Nem, giving her a sad little smile, then yawned again.

"Alright, it's bedtime," she said, grabbing my arm. I wanted to object, but to tell the truth, I was very tired. She gently led me to my room in the east part of the house. It was small, but cozy, with posters of turf war competitors all over the wall. Nem-Nem led me to my bed, then tucked me in.

I looked up at her, her eyes and tentacle hair glowing in the dark. Her hair was such a brilliant purple, and the light would pulse slowly, almost entrancingly at times. She smiled at me, and I smiled back. "Goodnight, Nem-Nem."

She patted my head. "Goodnight, Amelia. Sleep tight, okay?"

I nodded, and she got up, leaving the room. Before she closed the door, she looked at me one more time with the same warm smile. The door then closed, and I was left by myself in the dark, sleep taking me over.

2