Chapter 3: Magicians and the New Society
210 5 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Status:
Comprehension
Level

'So, 'god', huh... Anyways, I'll start at Comprehension.'

Again, the voice of 'god' enters into Michael's head.

"I suppose I'll explain first. The world of Demacia is closer to the Source and therefor Ether leaks into and permeates the world. Ether is a substance which the magicians of this world use to exert power through their will. They comprehend Truths and infuse Ether into their will to mold the universe to their liking.

"A comprehension level under 1% is common among the people of this world, though the level they can put those comprehensions to use is minuscule. For example, if a commoner knowledgeable about the Truth of Flame desires warmth an unnoticeable spark may be produced. At 100% comprehension a Level 1 magician could stand on the same level as a Level 5 magician. As for Levels, just go and check it out when you're done. It's self-explanatory, so don't expect my help."

Comprehension
Emotion: Attachment: 100%
  Anxiety: 5%
Aversion: 10%
Desire: 0%
Distrust: 2%
Skills:  
Control: LVL:0-MAX
Life & Death: 50%  
  Skills:  
  Heal: LVL: 1
  Drain and Empower: LVL: 2
Space: 5%  
  Skills:  
  Compress: LVL: 1
  Expanded Senses: LVL: 2

'It kind of makes sense. After all, I died and came to another world. To have some insight into Life and Death and Space seems logical. But, the skills... Well, I can test that later. As for the emotions, it's probably that thing that god talked about before sending me here. But what's Control...'

As he was thinking, he was interrupted by a change to the status. Though, interrupted wouldn't be quite right, as he couldn't see nor hear the status. He only knew it existed and what was displayed on it, like it was constantly on his mind.

Control: resistance to the effects of emotions and control of other people's emotions based on comprehension level. Cannot control the emotions of those with a stronger will or those at a higher Level.

It's thought that emotions and thoughts can conflict. For example, a person who thinks only of survival could sacrifice himself for a loved one. While, if the person wasn't affected by the emotions which caused him to want to sacrifice himself, he might have acted differently. Of course, there's also cases of conflicting emotions, like when a person's fear overcomes their love and they abandon their loved ones for survival.

In the case of the Control ability, it would decrease the effects of emotions on the user, while also granting the ability to control the level of emotions of another person. So, Michael's will can no longer be bent by emotions of attachment. Of course, if he really wanted he could also choose to feel those emotions. After all, get rid of emotions which affect the thoughts of people and all that'd be left is the person's unaffected will.

'Hmm, okay, so that's why I feel very little for my past life. I've already let go.

'Anyways, Level.'

Level
LVL 0(Current): Can only subconsciously apply Ether to will.
LVL 1:(Next) Can guide and use Ether consciously.

'Okay, so I can only use some skills at certain Levels because some skills require certain prerequisites. Like I can't use Heal yet, as I can't consciously use Ether. '

As, Michael collected his thoughts he once again heard that familiar voice:

"Since you're finally done, here's the Flowing Heart Sutra. Which, ought to be good for you."

When 'god' finished, Michael felt a stream of information enter his mind.

"A human's heart is corrupted by the emotions and reservations they were borne into. Only by following one's heart can the impure thoughts and emotions be rid from oneself."

And so, the first of five realms of the Flowing Heart Sutra was implanted into Michael's heart and the chant along with it:

"Thoughts are impure, the world is impermanent."

The Flowing Heart Sutra's first realm is the Cleansing Heart Realm, while each realm had three stages, each the Beginner Stage, Intermediate Stage, and the Mastery Stage, respectively. The Flowing Heart Sutra is a technique which cleanses and trains a person's will, consciousness, and heart, with the first stage meant to cleanse the impure thoughts that were borne from emotions.

Though, when the chant entered Michael's heart he entered a trance-like state while continuing to mumble, "Thoughts... are.. impure..."


As Lucy Inton walks into class her thoughts being to wander, "I wonder how my brother's doing right now?"

Though, she's interrupted from her thoughts as she's asked by one of her peers:

"Bitch, where'd you go? You left before I could 'buy' you lunch. You think you can just ignore people?"

Replying, Lucy says coldly, "Monica, I went to get my own lunch today."

"It's okay. You can eat some more after class."

Just then, the teacher walks in. Though, he only spares a cold glance towards Lucy and Monica before saying, "let's begin, class."

"Now, we'll discuss the founding of the country and the doctrines with which the People's Religion is founded from. First, it's said that all people must contribute to the Collective Consciousness. The second rule is that right and wrong is decided by the Collective Consciousness. The result of the spread of the People's religion is that the country which we now know of as the Central Government is governed in a completely democratic way.

"The People's Religion and the Central Government looks down on those who don't contribute, and those who refuse to contribute will be forced into a place where they can do no harm to society: in our Small Town it's the eastern side of town. Though, in all areas, there will be a place where less desirable people will be placed.

"The people placed in the category of less desirable are, by the laws dictated by the Central Government, never to be allowed out of that category. Though, the descendants of the less desirables, are born as a normal citizen of the Central Government.

"Now, onto the history of the Central Government. The Central Government bloomed along with the rapid growth of the People's Religion, and in time they unified Pangea. Though, as problem's with governing such a large territory continued to show up one after another, a solution was devised. The Central Government was split into five territories, each possessing the power to self-govern and each possessing the power to vote on legislation which concerns the whole nation.

"Our Northern Territory, is one of the Four Cardinal Territories, while the Central Territory is the highest level of government. Any questions?"

Of course, there would be no questions. After all, the same sermon would be repeated  daily to the students of every class of every school in the Central Government. Though, Monica still asked, "Then Mr. Wilson, why does Lucy live in the eastern area?"

As though practiced, nearly all the student's in the class looked in Lucy's direction with a cold aversion and disgust. Almost like they weren't looking at a person, it seemed they were looking at garbage.

Mr. Wilson, as though he swallowed a fly, answered, "After all, Lucy's parents were caught not voting. And she's too anti-social..."


Up on the roof of the high school, as Lucy was nearly forced to eat a wadded-up, piss-soaked bunch of toilet paper, a student suddenly yelled in excitement, "Monica! Your dad is giving his speech! Apparently he's running for mayor now that the previous mayor's 10-year term is over."

The crowd of kids left while Lucy picked herself up and began to casually stroll out of the school towards her home. After all, it's not anything new to be treated like this as the descendant of a less desirable, so through the years she's grown used to it.

'Hopefully, big-brother is doing okay.'

And with that thought Lucy started on her way home to hopefully see her big brother safe back home.

4