Chapter 5: Conflict and A New Acquaintance
150 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The ruffian slowly made his way towards Michael. A strange smile across his face, he gave off the feeling of a sadist. And while making his way over to Michael, he said:

"After I'm done with you, I'll go for your sister. There's no place for you people here."

Michael remained silent as he had nothing to say. Although he wasn't afraid of pain, he doesn't like being forced by other people's will. The problem is that he just arrived in this world. Although he got some memories from the previous owner, he's still clueless as to some things about the world and about the life of the previous body's owner. That, and the only time Michael really fought was when the intruder broke into his house. That scrupple, couldn't even apply to Michael's experience as he forgot most of it. Further, Michael only killed the assailant by chance.

So, as the ruffian approached Michael had no clue how to defend himself.

Though, when the ruffian got close to Michael a slow clap interrupted them: "Clap...Clap...Clap... Wow, a slow walk. So scary."

Walking into the men's shower was a woman in her mid-30s. She wasn't too pretty, but she had a free and mature aura about her.

"Bitch..."

Before the man could continue the woman threw a small knife and pierced his throat. Eyes wide-open, the ruffian fell onto the ground.

"Now that he's taken care of, I'm Maryanne. I've come to represent Small Town's Underworld Party branch to 'ask' for cooperation between us. As you got a job working as an assistant to a Manager of Public Image I want you to provide us with some information every now and then."

Michael though was still looking at the ruffian in a mixture of shock, sadness, and revulsion. Though, he still felt no fear. He didn't feel anything for the ruffian's death either.

Though, that he didn't feel anything caused him a great amount of sadness and shock. After all, it would be the only person who he's seen dead and remembers and he felt nothing. He felt a sort of self-loathing for not feeling anything. But, after hearing what Maryanne said, he slowly broke out of his stupor.

Maryanne, noticing his gaze, said: "Don't worry, I'll have a few people take care of him."

Shifting his gaze away from the ruffian, he looked at Maryanne's calm gaze. Thinking about what happened to him in his last life and thinking about this new world, Michael decided that it's perhaps better to not feel anything when seeing his first dead body. So, Michael regained his calm, and asked Maryanne, "and, if I don't 'cooperate'?"

"It'd make me feel a bit irritated. This guy here irritated me, too." She said, glancing at the scar-faced ruffian, lying breathlessly in a pool of blood.

"So you're threatening me?"

"No, of course not. Why make it sound so bad. I'm merely stating my position while asking for 'cooperation'."

"Sigh, whatever, let me ask you some questions first, Maryanne, and I'll tell you everything I know."

"Okay, you can start asking first."

"How many people from the Underworld Party are in Small Town?"

"There are only a little under 20. Our fading presence here is no secret."

"Why do you want information from me?"

Hesitating a bit, Maryanne answered, "The Underworld Party mainly thrives in the undeveloped areas for the less desirables. That said, the Underworld Party couldn't continue existing without connections to the Central Government. So, in many areas the Party controls politicians. It just so happens, that control over Abe Lincoln will help me out of this Small Town and onto a bigger stage.

"Especially now that, he's running for Mayor. You just so happen to work for Frank Wilson, his Manager of Public Image."

Nodding, Michael, asked again, "What's your position in the Underworld Party?"

"I'm the boss here."

"Okay, Miss Maryanne. A pleasure to make your acquaintance. "

Though polite, Micheal felt an increasing sense of anger. Though, he only let it show on his face as Maryanne turned and said, "Indeed, a pleasure. I'll come to find you later to ask my questions. After all, it's late and it's improper for a man and a woman to be in a place like this."

Though perhaps knowing of Michael's anger, as Maryanne walked out she sneered, saying: "Don't get full of yourself. If I were another person, perhaps I'd just take you to the base for reconditioning."

With Maryanne now gone, the ruffian's body getting cold, and the floor covered in blood, Michael sighed, "Perhaps, I'll shower in the morning."


Walking out of the shower house the next morning, Michael thought of how clean the showers were this morning. He also thought of what transpired in the shower the night before and the memories he gained from tapping into them before sleeping. He would've also tried cultivating that night, but after coming to a new world and experiencing what he had he felt it better to just sleep.

"Sigh, perhaps it would've been easier to fade into oblivion on the sidewalk in the snow. Perhaps, this world will be even harder to live in than my last. And, my sister..."

Though, arriving at his new place of work Michael stopped his thoughts and moved to thinking about what to do about the Underworld Party and his job. His new workplace was a big office building. For a place like Small Town, it was quite a good building.

Further, Michael understood the Underworld Party's actions. After all, they could only continue thriving with the grace of the Government. So, having more control over those people who controlled their fate would be an extra measure for protection. Though, those thoughts of his were stopped by a backhand slap along with shouting.

"Boy, you dare to come late when I was nice enough to hire a thing like you!"

While talking spittle flew from his mouth and he had an air of imperiousness. Michael, recovering from the slap, saw that it was his boss Frank Wilson who slapped him. Now, looking at this man Michael's eyes had a cold glint in them. Also, looking at the clock he arrived half an hour early.

"I came thirty minutes early."

"Boy, it's time for you to work when I need you to work. Mr. Lincoln is coming here with his daughter, so I need you to change out of those clothes and not open your mouth or annoy them."

Although furious, Michael still had no idea how to control the powers he got so he just nodded and went to the changing room in the office. After all, these people working in the building were always on TV and they needed a place to change and freshen up for TV. Though, what he didn't know is that Frank had sweat down his back and a look of fear in his eyes. His heart beat unevenly and he trembled ever so slightly.

'What was that feeling?'

He felt that after he slapped Michael, there was an uncontrollable surge of fear, and a bit of anger too.

2