Chapter 3: Some advanced research and a name?
13.1k 29 197
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After swallowing the first berry I almost questioned my sanity once again. I still ate it despite clearly sensing the sweet and sour taste it had, something like a weird combination of lemon and honey. The jelly-like texture was just a bonus to add to the list of how a normal berry should not taste like.

’Well... What's done is done. Not the first stupid thing I've done in my life. Heck, spending all my gems for several more chances on that SSR despite not getting it with hundreds of free shots collected in the spam of the entire month. That was stupid... Though, this is on an entirely new level of stupidity...’ 

Well, taste aside, the [Appraisal] description didn't say anything about being poisonous. If the berry was not ripe enough, it wasn't strange at all to taste a little sour either. 

I didn't know if I should give credit to my level 4 [Appraisal] but it wasn't like I had any other option at the moment. 

*sigh* 

Letting out a tired sigh, I decided to stick to the original plan of waiting to see if something bad would happen. 

I was lost. I was hungry. It wouldn't be long until I would be thirsty too, not to mention that I was in an alien world with an alien body. I couldn't afford to be picky at the moment. 

Resting my head on the thick trunk, I closed my eyes again and indulged myself in the silence of the night. This world was not good for my sanity. Even if I wasn't insane yet, that wouldn't be the case anymore if things continued like that for much longer.

Hmmm... Wait a second... I could have done... Well, that would be... whatever... what's done is done.’

If I wanted to check the veridicality of that [Appraisal] skill, I could have used it on a bunch of things with a high probability to be poisonous— like the mushrooms from earlier — and confirm it. Yeah, I could have done that...

’But it's too late right now... Well, it's not but I really don't feel like going down to do it... My head is already hurting like shit!’

.

.

.

’Shit! I think if fell asleep for a little bit.’

Thankfully, the blue moon was still up so it shouldn't have been asleep for too long. At least my head wasn't hurting that bad anymore. 

’I should really check that status thing though... I feel like so much would have been avoided if I was thinking straight from the start. Well, let's do that... First, the things that looked like some kind of statuses... Uhh...’

[Vitality: Represents the vital force for living beings. The higher it is, the higher the stamina, regenerative power, toughness, resistance towards external stimuli, and survivability in a critical situation increases.]

’Yeah... This seems to be quite an important one. A shame that I don't know if 77 is considered a lot or not. Judging from how tired and sloppy I feel this doesn't seem to be the case...

” Next is... ”

[Power: Represents the raw force for living beings. Power is also directly correlated with speed.

*Has a small influence on stamina and toughness.]

Pretty easy to understand. Let's see dexterity. ”

[Dexterity: Shows the individual's capacity to perform actions that require a certain amount of accuracy. The higher the level the better the result.

*Also the main factor for learning and developing skills that require handling a weapon or other skills of precision.]

And that was my lowest status... Was that the way the world chose to tell me that I was incompetent? Was I indirectly insulted by my status thing? Or was I more on the magic side? Well, not like I was opposing the idea.

Magic was exciting and judging by the next two statuses I was almost certain that it was a thing in this world. The last one was a status for mana for fuck’s sake.

” Ehem... First, let's check the spirit thing... ”

[Spirit: The principal factor when performing magic activities. The higher it is, the higher the mana capacity. It affects the stability and control over magic spells and also influences the learning process and advancement in magic-related activities.]

” Ugh... It's barely three points over dexterity... Shit... my dreams of being a mage... ”

That was depressing. My glorious fireballs, gone... It was almost physically painful... Unless I figured out how to max that spirit thing my glorious future was already destroyed...

” Next! ”

[Mana: Represents the magical power residing in a living organism or inanimate object. It is needed to fuel magical activities. 

*It is directly correlated to the Spirit status.]

Good... That took more than I thought it would be. After checking to see if there wasn't anything else hidden, I moved to the next section. 

’I already know what the [Appraisal] is doing. Next is... the passive ones?’

[Amissi Common Language: The common language used in the Amissi continent.]

[Elven Language: The language used by elves.]

’Yup... Not too much to say about these two. At least I should be able to communicate with these two... I hope.’

I specially left the racial ones for the last. These seemed to be related to my new race so I was quite excited to see if I would be OP or not. I sincerely didn't mind some badass cheat skills...

” Divine Tree, I put my hope in you. I will pick some nice fertilizer if I'm going to like the next ones.” I muttered a little prayer, half-joking and regretting doing it afterward. If there really was a Tree God or something like that, I was screwed. It wasn't a good idea to piss off your new boss. 

[Child of the Forest: Affinity for the natural elements increased. All abilities are enhanced in the forest environment.]

[Elemental Magic Affinity: All magic affinities related to the elements are increased.]

[Enchanted Senses: Higher sensitivity and better observation skills development.]

[Superior Bow Technique: Inborn talent with the bow. Highly increase the efficiency with a bow.]

Forest buffs, elemental magic buffs, high spatial awareness, and some sort of buff for ranged weapons. I must say that I was quite pleased. 

It was not a bad decision to chose the forest. Judging by that bow related skill, I was quite certain that it wouldn't be too hard to learn how to use one. Shame that I didn't have a bow to being with. 

’Well... Thank you, Holy Tree. And now I'm not even joking anymore... I'm not a religious person but after a day like this, I don't mind some divine assistance... If you are there somewhere I don't mind believing in you from now on...’

And... nothing. Not that I lost anything anyway... That was worth a shot at least.

” Hmmm... Now that I look closer to this status, why don't I have a name? ”

Well, I was a girl so my old one wouldn't fit anymore... Not to mention the race change... Mine wouldn't have worked anymore... probably... 

I needed a new one.

’But how... And even more importantly... what to chose for my new name?’

I didn't know this world’s naming sense, let alone what was common for elves... I didn't want to pick something weird sounding for the natives if I had to choose. Unneeded attention was the last thing I wanted. 

’I don't believe this world is too advanced. Medieval times or something similar should be the most plausible. I mean, I'm a freaking elf! I could not imagine an elf driving a car... And the [Appraisal] mentioned swords and there was the bow thing too... Nothing related to guns anyway.’

Coming back to the main issue, I needed something to fit in for my new name. Something to make you think about elves when it was spoken. I was quite sure that my actions and behavior wouldn't be quite elf-like, so at least my name had to be decent. I didn't know how to be an elf after all.

” Maybe something like holy-ish or churchy? Sophia or Emily? Oh, oh... Ellena fits there as well. ”

Maybe something more wizard-like would be better. I wanted to be a mage so that would be a nice one. A shame that I didn't know any wizards to know what was wizard-like and what was not...

” Hehe... Well, it's not that bad. ” I spoke out loud again and took a deep breath of fresh air. At least all the useless rambling made me relax a little bit.

The wild berry didn't seem to do anything to me. After a little nap and rest, I was quite good actually... Albeit still hungry...

Throwing another berry in my mouth, I took another look at the night sky. The blue moon was almost gone so I concluded that the day was up in several hours.

’Nope, I can't find anything... Maybe something more aloof? The elven race is supposed to be a prideful one, no?’

” Something noble-like then? Like Elizabeth or something? Ohoho, I like this one, I can even abbreviate it like Lizza. And I can...”

[*Ding: A name has been chosen!]

”...”

”...”

”...”

’Oh nooo. What the hell am I doing? Am I retarded? Oh, no, no, no. Let's be more specific, right now I have a name so...’

’ Status ’

  • Name: Elizabeth
  • Level: 1
  • Race: Elven
  • Sex: Female
  • ............

” Yeah, Elizabeth are you an idiot? Where de heck have you heard of  Elizabeth the elf... Oh... yes, you haven't! Goddamit. ”

And suddenly I felt like my head started to hurt again... And I wanted to cry on top of that too... 

’Why is this happening to me?’

 It was certainly not because my retarded-self played whit something I should have not. That was for sure.

197