Chapter 7: Laying down the hunter path.
9.9k 11 189
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That was traumatic.

After a while, I decided upon a relatively safe resting point under a big tree with a myriad of thin and long branches covered with matching long and green leaves. Soon after, the realization of what I just did stuck me. 

’I killed a monster...’ I couldn't believe it.

Despite all the facts being laid in front of me, there was still a part of me that wished to deny all of it. To ignore everything. And that was because if I were to acknowledge the facts, there was no turning back.

If I were to acknowledge that, there would have been nothing I could cling to. All that would have remained would have been the cold and merciless truth.

And despite all of that, the only option I had was to move forward, no matter what. Escaping reality was no longer an option.

’Aaahhhh... My head hurts... Hehe... This is soooo freaking funny... Who would have thought that killing monsters on a screen, seated in your comfortable chair would be sooo freaking different from killing them in person...’ 

Well, everyone with half a brain would have thought that, but it was just when you were facing it that you realize how badly you underestimated the situation. How dire the predicament really was. 

*sigh* 

I let out another sigh and moved my hand through my long and silvery hair. The whole encounter made what I had to expect from now on apparent. It wasn't pretty but that was how it was.

” At least, the goblin was not that strong despite the difference in levels. ” I whispered to myself while continuing to play with a strand of my hair. The action calmed me.

” Maybe the race is a big factor too... ” It was a possibility. Though I had a lot of advantages back then and everything went as it was planned, maybe even better. It wasn't exactly the best reference. 

At least I got two levels from that fight. It seemed good to me but frankly, I didn't know if it truly was like that or not. Not knowing what I assumed to be basic stuff for the possible inhabitants of this world would be a problem in the future.  More importantly, it was a really big issue right now as well. 

Actually, outside of the variety of monsters I already saw roaming around, I didn't even know what to expect outside of them...

Humans? Unless I saw one of them I couldn't even be sure if they existed in this world. Elves? I was the living example so no matter how hilarious it seemed, meeting elves around had a bigger probability than meeting a human...

’Not to mention the cultural differences... What if I stumble upon some kind of barbaric or savage race?’

The goblins proved to not be the most civilized or peaceful humanoids thus far. They had makeshift tools like clubs so they were something akin to cavemen... probably.

*Kuku keki ko* 

’Fuuuuuck... Not again! No, no... calm down...’ 

At that point, I was quite acquainted with that particular sound. And I still didn't like it at all.

I moved my head to the direction the voice was heard and peeked through the thick foliage. It felt like I was hiding inside of a green waterfall but it let enough visibility for me to still be able to see outside of it.

Two goblins stepped out of some bushes a dozen or so meters away from me. For some reason, they seemed to be rather agitated and one of them was limping with his left leg. They also had smaller fresh scars all over their bodies.

’What the hell... Appraisal.’

  • Level: 5
  • Race: Cave Goblin 
  • Age: ?
  • ---------

 

  • Level: 4
  • Race: Cave Goblin 
  • Age: ?
  • ----------

’That's... surprisingly low.’

But the problem was not solved yet. Something attacked these guys, and judging by their restless behavior it was still on their trail. 

’Shit! They're coming this way...’

They would definitely notice me if I were to run. The damn monsters were heading straight towards me so I could not retreat slowly either...

’What to do, what to... Oh, no... Those are bite marks. Wolves...’

The situation turned incredibly dire. Meeting wolves was the last thing I wanted to happen. I was pretty much sure I wouldn't be able to escape from them.

’Fuck it... Sorry guys, but between you and me, I'm pretty much willing to sacrifice you two.’

The moment the distance between us shortened enough, I stabbed the one that wasn't limping with my spear as hard as I could. I targeted him first because I wanted to have a chance at running if the circumstances needed it. 

*kikiki ki*

I stuck him right in the middle of his chest, the goblin let out a loud scream, tripped, and fell on his back with my spear still embedded in him. 

My ears were ringing from the sudden scream but that was my last concern at that moment. The other seemed to be still confused since all he saw was a spear striking his colleague out of nowhere. 

I grabbed my club as fast as I could and jumped from the foliage at the other one, not giving him enough time to fully grasp what the hell was even happening. 

Unfortunately, the goblin managed to move his body at the last moment and I missed his head, striking his shoulder. He was forced to take two or three steps backward but I didn't manage to make it fall.

*Kiikii KKikee*

” Ohh, shut up already! ” I screamed back at the goblin as my ears started to throb again. It seemed that I wasn't fully accustomed to my new body... 

’My ears were too freaking sensitive...’ I cursed again in my head and took a quick look at the other one. He tried to stand us but fell back down again. My spear probably caused much more damage than I initially thought. Maybe it hit something vital...?

Changing my mind, I ran to it and smug my club right to his head.

*Crack* 

The goblin was stuck down again while his head made a nasty crunchy sound. But that was not enough. 

” Again, damn it!  ”

I raised the club again and the hit stuck his head for the second time.

[*Ding: You have killed...

The notification popped up but I didn't have the time for it. It was necessary to get used to them, even more so when another angered goblin was right at your back. I instinctively jumped to the left while the thing missed me at a hair’s breadth. 

Actually, no. His claws still managed to catch my right shoulder but the wound left wasn't deep. I didn't felt much at the moment since I was still full of adrenaline, but I was sure that it would hurt quite a bit the next day.

I was lucky since the leg impeded him, he couldn't react faster and save his colleague. What I did was quite stupid, I realized.

And the situation turned to some kind of one-on-one. I still had the opportunity to run away since he had a leg problem. 

” To hell with it, die you little scum. For all the girls who can't sleep peacefully at night because of you. ” I didn't even know if that was the case but who cared at that moment? I just needed something to be motivated. 

I started to circle it and while the goblin was eyeing me with caution. It didn't try to jump at me again. Probably because I was aware of him. That proved that these things had some kind of intelligence at least. It wasn't just a mere beast, which was good and bad at the same time. 

Even so, it was still nothing compared to me. The makeshift club lost its rock head when I hit the other goblin the second time and at that point was just a piece of wood. But even that had its use. 

” Now, now... You stupid little freak! ”

As I approached the corpse and most importantly my spear, I throw what was left of the club at the goblin, buying enough of a distraction to take the spear from his deceased colleague. What I did not expect to happen was the club to actually hit him.

He was more wounded than I initially thought. Not wasting more time, I stuck with the spear right in his chest.

[*Ding: You have killed level 4 Cave Goblin!]

[*Ding: You have gained the skill {Crude Spear Technique 1}!]

[*Ding: You have reached level 5!]

” Haha ha...  Level 5 already? This is pretty good... I'll be OP in no time at this rate. Heehe—

*Awooooo*

’Ohh shit... I forgot about it...’ 

I turned to the direction from where the goblins appeared and surely enough, that was the place the howl came from. I ran away, not even looking back. The spear was on the verge of breaking and was covered with blood so I left it there as well.

At that point, I just hoped that the wolves would be happy with the two corpses and wouldn't try to search for the thing that killed them. 

My wounded shoulder wasn't bleeding that much either but I still had to clean it at least. I really needed a source of water. 

I changed my direction several times as I was running even though I doubted that something like that would work against their sense of smell. But it made me feel a little bit more secure. I almost stumbled upon some kind of red wild boar but I was lucky and the thing didn't notice me. 

The next hour or so I walked aimlessly, running from anything I saw, while not remarking that the terrain had changed slightly. The trees were more scarce and I felt like climbing a hill. 

Looking in the distance I could see that I was right. And to my surprise, it was not an ordinary hill.

It seemed that I had stumbled upon a hill with some weird temple ruins on top of it.

189