Chapter 9: Bond of blood.
9.2k 19 183
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

From the moment I opened my eyes in this damn place and until now, I could say that I witnessed quite a bit of strange or straight-out terrifying stuff. But even so, to be bitten by a ring was a tad bit too much. 

After what I experienced outside, I was expecting most living stuff to be dangerous but I did not expect to be bitten by freaking objects too.

’This world is insane...’

What was next? Being attacked by furniture? Should I be cautious to not be stabbed by one of the books from earlier too? 

The more I thought about it, the more unreasonable it became. It was not right. It was impossib—

[*Ding: You have discovered an ancient lost item!] 

[You will be rewarded with a corresponding amount of experience points fitting for your current level!]

[*Ding: You have reached level 6!]

[*Ding: You have reached level 7!]

[*Ding: You have reached level 8!]

[*Ding: You hav...

...

[*Ding: You have reached level 15!]

[*Ding: A bond of blood has been created!]

[*Ding: You have gained the passive skill {Odder’s Black Ring: Bond of Blood}!]

That... explained quite a bit. If it was some lost, ancient, and whatever stuff the notification said, it was still acceptable to be bitten by it... 

’Nope... Not even close... And the problem became even complicated...’ While the levels were a good thing, what followed after that, not so much. 

I did not want to be cursed by some random ring.

Doesn't matter in which way I look at it, a bond of blood sounds like a full-time curse with the premium optional package.’

Was it because I made jokes about the Holy Tree earlier? Was it some sort of punishment?

’I'm very sorry. Please forgive me, Holy Tree!’

And... nothing. 

’Though, I should really stop making jokes about it... It won't be funny if the thing was real...’

*sigh*

Was I overthinking? At least, I didn't feel bad. I actually felt a little better... Was it the extra levels? Maybe I could find something about the ring in one of the books. It was there with them after all.

Feeling much calmer, I picked myself up and looked around after the ring. It took me a while in the dark chamber. 

” You little prick, to think that something so ordinary hides so many secrets... An ancient item, huh? ”

At least the ring wasn't looking like one or I might be in danger. I doubted that stuff like that was common and looking unremarkable helped quite a bit. 

’Let's see what my best friend [Appraisal] have to say about you.’

[Odder’s Black Ring]

  • [Odder’s lost ring. It was said that its magical power was unmatched and the craftsmanship without  peer.]
  • ???
  • ???
  • ???
  • ???
  • [Space Enchantment]
  • [Medium-Mythical grade]

​” Ohh... Oho... Oho ho ho... What. The. Hell? ”

No, no, no, no. Pause, pause. That was not possible. That was too good to be real. Was that some kind of illusion? 

” You can't casually pick a... What was it again? A mythical grade ring. ” 

It did not feel right no matter how you looked at it. I didn't even know what a mythical grade was but I did not even need to. If there was the word mythical in the description, for me, that was already enough.

And what was that (???) symbol. Some sealed abilities? Was the ring partially broken? Was I incapable of seeing the full thing with my appraisal level?

” Pfff... It's understandable that I can't. Why did I even expect to read a mythical grade thing with my level 4 appraisal? ”

But even so, there was still something that I managed to read.

[Space Enchantment: The space is modified and enchanted with magic to contain more than it might suggest.]

“ This is... No. If someone happens to find about this... Yeah,  extra careful with the ring from now on... But first, let's try it. ”

I placed it on my left hand and felt a pleasant feeling. Like how my thoughts were suddenly more clear.

’I like it more and more already.’

After playing with the ring a little bit longer, I remembered that I gained some kind of skill from my latest fight with goblins as well. Something about a spear... I was not sure. And there was the passive one regarding a blood bond that needed to be checked as well.

’Appraisal’

  • Name: Elizabeth 
  • Level: 15
  • Race: Elven
  • Sex: Female
  • Age:  17
  • ----------
  • Vitality:  91
  • Power:  53
  • Dexterity:  34
  • Spirit:  63
  • Mana: 204

----------------------------

As expected from around ten levels worth of progress. My statuses increased quite a bit. I was even happier since the spirit stat went through the roof. That was a good sign for my future as the greatest mage ever.

’Next... to the creepy cursed bound.’

[Odder’s Black Ring: Bond of Blood: A bond has been created between you and the ring. It can never be used by someone else as long as you are alive.]

Good news and bad news. It could not be stolen but the bad news was that it was still possible to be stolen If they murdered me.

’Ahh... no... It's not quite right. It is still possible to steal it but not use it... Soooo... there was not a single piece of good news.’

” Conclusion: Do not show the ring to anyone and if they ask just say it's a simple ring or something related to your deceased family. ” 

Emotional things could not be explained with logic so that made the perfect cover.

’Aaaaand the last thing from the list is... tam, tam, tam... the skill gained in the fight with the goblins. Appraisal.’

[Crude Spear Technique 1: The lowest form of technique for the spear. Usually self-taught.]

”...”

Why was I under the impression that the system liked to insult me? Was the same with my crafted stuff... I crafted that spear and club and I was proud of both of them. The system insulted me for no reason.

As long as the weapons did the job, I had no complaints.

.

.

.

With the ring equipped, I started to collect the rest of the books. It took me some time to select what was still in good shape in the dark. 

But a new problem presented itself.

’How do I put them the books in the ring now that i collected all of them?’ 

I was sure that there was a way. At least the description suggested there was and I was sure as hell that I could not carry all of them around on my back. There were at least twenty or thirty of them in total. 

And while searching the place for the rest of the books, I accidentally found three coins that looked to be made from silver. 

The coin's design was almost non-existent though... So I could not figure anything else about them.

’Back to the books, back to the books... How do I store them?’

I took a book in hand and thought that I wanted the book in the ring. In an instant, I felt my palm lighten and the book was gone.

”...”

’No fucking way!’

It actually worked. And on the first attempt. I almost felt like a genius. 

Playing with my new discovery a little more, storing all the books, and experimenting further, I managed to make them appear at will. It was... overwhelmingly enjoyable in a strange kind of way.

It seemed that you could vaguely search with some strange mental link through everything you stored in it. Quite bizarre but very useful. Also, the hand with the ring, or more precisely the ring itself had to be in contact with the objective you wanted to store for it to work.

Checking my status, I discovered that a little bit of my mana was used as well. But that didn't matter. The information was power and I intended to use it to the fullest. 

’Speaking of information...’  I willed a book to appear in my hand.

I hoped to find at least something useful regarding this word in these books. I could be from who knew how long ago but I didn't care. At that moment, everything was good enough for me. 

” Good. This will be my first base... soooo, I guess I need to climb out of here first... somehow. ”

183