Chapter 14: Acting like a hero is not easy.
8.3k 27 186
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

’No, no, no, no... Why the hell are you jumping in the water? Hmmm... Probably because I was retarded and blabbered about useless stuff while she was in danger... That was why!’

And besides the departing fluff, I got extra problems on top of that because the wolf’s attention was redirected to me. Not exactly to me since I was hidden, but they were alerted and wouldn't be much until I was found. 

’ Shit... I don't have time for this right now... two more. Come on... ”

The wolves would pick my scent so I took out another arrow to shot at the second wolf. I was hoping to disable or at least wound it. 

The arrow flew at the closest wolf and penetrated right through his neck but that was not enough. The beast was still standing. The other one had discovered my position and sprinted at me.

I was a little anxious since I was not used to engaging with more than one or two at a time. I took the spear out and directed it in the wolf's direction. I had always taken a defensive approach and waited for the enemy to come at me, but there was no time for that. 

I had to kill these wolves fast and hurry after my possible new pillow...

.

.

.

That wolves were tougher than I assumed. If I wouldn't have wounded the first two, I didn't know what would have happened. Even with a single one of them in good shape I was barely able to emerge victorious without hurting myself. 

It also took way too long. 

The ability to end a fight quickly was not one of my fortes. I was used to waiting and taking any advantage I got. To disable the enemy from a distance and to pick just the fights that I was certain of winning. 

’Note for the future: You lack any kind of experience with offensive fighting... Try to train with it!’

After catching my breath for a few seconds and stored the wolves, I rushed after my new pillow. 

I was lucky that the river currents weren't too fast on that part of the river. In five to six minutes of running, I spotted the girl floating on her back. She most probably fainted but at least her face was above the water level. 

’But that doesn't mean that she can't drown even like that... I need to take her out before she swallows too much water.’

I jumped after her and grabbed the girl with one hand to take her out. It was harder than I thought since her body was practically limp and I had to be sure that her head stayed above water. On top of that, swimming with just one hand was not easy either. 

My respect for the people who rescued drowning people as their job was growing with every second of struggle. I doubted that I would be able to take out a panicked person that would struggle in desperation... From the two options, I still preferred for my target to stay put and let me save her. 

The first thing I did after we managed to successfully arrive on the solid ground was to check if she was still breathing. 

” Pfiuu... All good for now... No need to apply my questionable rescue techniques... ” I said and thanked to the Holy Tree for that. Other than some highly questionable TV-learned techniques, I feared that could not do too much...

The wounds received from the wolves were not too deep. She had quite a few scratches and small cuts. I checked for broken bones or if she had wounded her head. I saw a few rocks emerging from the water and I wanted to be sure that she did not bump her head in any of them.

As I finished checking, her wounds already stopped bleeding. I did know that my body had had some impressive healing abilities but compared with this girl, it was nothing.

’What the hell... Her vitality must be ridiculous...Now that I think about it... she took down quite a few wolves on her way to the river... She must be quite tough.’ 

I made a mental note to be prepared in case of something unexpected. She was not as powerless like I assumed at first.

’Though... I saved her, right? That must count as something at least... I can't back down after all of this anyway... I can't let her here while unconscious.’ 

Making sure that the wolf-girl was in no danger anymore I quickly refined my water reserves. After that, I took her in my arms in princess-carry mode and make my way back to the temple. 

I made sure to not stumble upon anything while doing so. I already had quite the experience in that part of the forest and it wasn't that hard. 

After we arrived, I put her on my improvised bed and decided that was better to make a fire and prepare some meat for when she would wake up.

’Strategy number 1: If a stranger offers you food out of nowhere that's definitely not strange...’

” Yeah... This plan already seems like a failure... ”

*sigh*

’Do not hesitate me! If you save someone and after that you offer some food is another story...’ I was hoping for it. 

In all the stories with rescued girls in the wilderness, the hero would cook something at the fire and wait for the rescued girl to wake up. 

’And looking cool in the meantime for a good impression... Yup, Let's proceed with it. Cook the wolf and try to look cool while doing it.’

After some internal struggle, I decided that even with her wet clothes it was better to not strip her. Instead, I moved her and the improvised bed closer to the fire.

Nobody would feel good being undressed by a stranger while unconscious. I wanted to play as safe as it was possible. I was sure that everyone would have thought the same in my position.

As I was pondering about unnecessary things like usual, I caught a little movement from her. Her finger was slightly moving.

” Ohh... oohhh... She's starting to awake. ” And I was not prepared. And I wasn't cooking stuff while looking cool either... That was a mess.

*sigh*

’Calm down, me! Go, check the girl! Yeah, yeah... check the girl... I will do exactly that.’

I took my place opposite her, checking for any movement, and continued to cook the stuff as of plan B. She slowly opened her eyes, after a few moments she looked at the unfamiliar ceiling and around the place. I could see the confusion on her face.

” It's alright, no need to worry. ” I said slowly and with clarity to not startle her. She moved her head in my direction and glared at me intensely. 

I could see another round of confusion. If we analyzed the situation, she just jumped into the river— while being chased by wolves— after which, she found herself in some abandoned ruins with an elf-girl who she did not know.

Of course, she was suspicious of the strange development. Who would have not been suspicious about something like that? It was still not as suspicious as a man clad in black offering candies to the kids who followed him in his car. Not that suspicious, but suspicious enough. 

What was I supposed to do in that situation? She was glaring at me, obviously waiting for an explanation. So I had to provide one.

” You were chased by the wolves. I happen to be nearly and follow the tracks. I saw you just as you jumped in the river. After that, I killed the remaining wolves and took you here. ”

Not that bad... It was not that bad... It wasn't a hero level explanation but it was decent. But I wasn't even finished with my internal praise and I saw her brows raising in surprise.

” What is an elf doing... being nearly in this forest? And more importantly, why did you help me? Is this some kind of joke? ”

And the situation turned ugly without even doing anything stupid yet. It looked like she accused me of doing stuff I didn't even know I was doing... Was I not supposed to be there? 

But that was not even the worst part. The worst was that it seemed like I was strange for me to help her.

’Ohh my Holy Tree... What the hell were my elven brothers and sisters doing to actually be strange if I were to try and save someone?’

I could literally see how my fluff chances were smashed to the ground. I almost cried there... But I had to be strong.

” It doesn't matter that much what I was doing here and it is unimportant for the moment. Regarding the helping you part... What's so strange about saving someone who is attacked by wolves? ”

Her eyes widened in shock and surprise. It was to the point that she stopped her attempt of standing up to process my answer. It seemed that I messed something again. 

’Holy shit! No... no, no, no. Do not tell me that there is supposed to be some kind of war between elves and what she was... Or any kind of hate between races...’

My fluff chances... Slowly fading away... I almost cried again... 

” What is an elf doing so far from the Zylfir forests is not my business and personally, i don't care. I should not have asked. But what is a proud and high elf doing, saving and bringing me here as if all of that was the most normal thing to do? ”

’Ohh damn... My race personality is garbage. They had just ruined my fluff chances here...’

At least, there was no war between our species. Maybe I could get through it somehow... 

186