Chapter 32: A delicate situation.
6k 13 124
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*splash*

” Ouch... ” my voice slipped a bit due to the jolt. One of the front wheels passed over a little pit and splashed water in all directions. 

I wouldn’t care too much about it if the carriage was equipped with something to prevent these jolts. Of course, the reality wasn't going to mold after my wishes and a random merchant wouldn't have such a carriage. 

My sore butt was begging me for help even though I already had three blankets under it. Fiona wasn't doing better either. I could tell it judging by her unhappy expression. 

” Fio, this isn't enough. We still have two wolf furs in the rucksack. Take them out so we could stay more comfortable. ” I said while standing up and massaging the aching butt. 

The merchant peeked at us from the coachman seat but I didn't care. My little butt was at stake there. I had to save him at all costs. Fiona didn't hesitate to take them out and put them on top of the blankets. 

I nodded at her and we sat down again. After the initial conversation, the rest of the trip was kind of boring.

The carriage was covered with some king of cloth material and had just two entrances. One was in the back but that was currently blocked to ensure that the cargo was safe and the other one was in front.

*splash*

” Haaaa, much better. Don't you think, Fio? ”

” Mm, much better. ” she said and leaned her head on my shoulder, looking at me expectantly. I sighed internally and wrapped my arms around her like usual. 

Though, she instinctively kept her tail in the opposite direction from me. I didn't know why, but she didn't like her tail to be touched. A pity but I wasn't going to give up that easy.

*Cough* *Cough* 

Our nice embrace time was rudely interrupted by the loud coughs coming from Albert. As I turned to look at him, he was coughing trying to gasp for air. I obviously panicked a little and decide to ask what might have happened.

” What's wrong, Albert? Something bad had happened? Are you alright? ” I said and tried to stand up but he signaled me that everything was fine.

He coughed another two or three times and finally stopped.

” It's nothing... ” he raised some kind of waterskin. ” I thought I saw something... unexpected. Some water got the wrong way, nothing serious. ” he said and turned back to his job. I caught him peeking at us from time to time after that, but since we just met it was understandable to be cautious.

Or he was just curious about me being an elf and all that... Back then, in that village, most people stared at me as well. That worried me a bit. I didn't even want to know how many people would stare at me in the city. I definitely had to wear that hood there. Better to be the weird person nobody wanted to approach than the center of attention.

But that was for later. Since Albert was alright, and there was still time until we arrived at the city, I shifted my attention back to Fiona. I grabbed her by the shoulders and put her head it in my lap. Knowing what was going to happen, she just closed her eyes and I could swear that I saw a faint smile for just a second.

I started to play with her hair and scratch the base of her ears... She loved when I did that for some reason. 

”Mmmmmmmm...” she let out a little moan and cuddled on my lap like a little puppy. Even though she was practically a wolf... 

I just ignored that and started to tease her ears even further. Unfortunately, that didn't last long and we got interrupted again.

*Cough* *Cough* 

It seemed that poor Albert was at it again. Being interrupted was a bit annoying, but the carriage was his so I had to be polite. 

” Are you sure you are alrigh—

I tried to ask again but Albert was looking at us with big and round eyes... He looked like he saw a ghost or something. 

Even though I was an elf, that was a bit excessive...

Oh no... no, no, no, no... Don't tell me he thinks that we were doing questionable things behind his back...’

Judging by how shocked he was, I couldn't think of any other reason. But I just gave Fiona a lap pillow and patted her head for a bit. It wasn't that strange for two girls to do that, right? 

Even so, I wasn't willing to be labeled as a shameless person. I didn't know what kind of cultural norms they had, thus, I stopped and tried to push Fiona out of my lap...

”Mmmmmm, Lizza... Why? ”  she protested, clinging to my lap as if her life was depending on it. Of course I had no fucking chance of removing her if she really didn't want to. And she didn't.

I turned my head toward the merchant again... and the situation worsened. His mouth started to hang open even though words wouldn't come out of it. 

I tried to push Fiona again but she didn't move an inch. 

’How is she soooo strong? My Holy Tree, please, help me!’

The carriage started to approach the edge of the road since his coachman was just staring at us. What the hell? I had to do something about it before to deviate from the road.

” A-Albert, the road... Look at the road. ” I said and pointed my finger to distract him from us.

” Haa? What... Oh, ohhh noo. ” he snapped out of his blank state and finally remembered that he was the one in charge of this carriage.

” Fio, we can't do it right now... The merchant was staring at us. ” I whispered before Albert could turn back for a new staring session. 

Fiona opened her eyes, clearly unsatisfied whit how little caressing she got. If the situation wasn't as embarrassing as it could have been, her pouty face would have looked kind of cute.

She finally let go of me and get up from my lap. The look she was giving to Albert... 

Anyways. I remembered I still had something to do.

 ” Fio, I have something to speak with Albert. I’ll go there for a bit. ”

She just switched her attention from glaring at Albert, to less-but-not-that-less glaring at me.

” Uhm, I also want to do a little training too. We didn't have anything else to do after all. ” It was also kind of true.

” Traini... Ohh, like when you walk barefoot sometimes? ” 

” Yes, like that... ”

 ” Or that time when you walked naked through the rain? ” she said and nodded while looking at me with judging eyes.

’Please, please... make it so that Albert didn't hear that. Don't make me look like an even bigger pervert.’

” Fio... Didn't you promise me that you'll forget about that? ” 

” Oh, Mm... Sorry... But Lizza, we were in the carriage and there's no rain either. ” 

Oh, fuuuuuuu... If that wasn't on purpose, I didn't really know what it was. Apparently, she reaaaaally didn't like the idea of letting her alone there. And the rain... That was a mistake that would never see me light of day ever again. 

Actually, screw it! It never happened. Water? What water? There was no attempt at getting [Water Manipulation] by doing such thing.

” Just... Just forget about the rain. Okay, Fio? And wait here for me. It won't be long. I promise that I'm going to give you lots of hugs after the sun go down and he wouldn't be able to see us. Alright? ” I pleaded.

The carriage wasn't moving too fast. But even so, it was enough for me to feel the wind. I couldn't miss such an opportunity. [Wind Manipulation], here we go!

I stood up and took one of the furs with me. Albert noticed me approaching and moved a little to make more space for me to sit. 

He seemed to be a little restless but it was understandable after that scene so I didn't mind.

” Sooo, Albert... ”

” Oh, yes, yes... What is it? ” he said with an akward smile.

’Ohhhh Goddammit. This isn't going well.’

” I just remembered what you said about the wolf fur. And the rest of my materials, but especially the fur. ”

” Hmm, yes... That was a very good deal. I already said that the Silver Wolf can't be found in this country. ” he switched to a business attitude at a lightning speed after I mentioned the materials. As expected from a merchant. 

” But that is the problem, Albert. You see... If we were to sell these materials randomly... Hmm, let's say that the place from where we just came wouldn't be hard to guess. ” I tried to imply my concerns without actually saying it. Fiona was still having the collar on, and I didn't know what would happen to her if she was found out.

” I can't say that I don't have a guess too. And I'm almost sure about it if we count that slave collar as well. But I don't see the problem. Import is a thing, you know? I was just lucky and got them at a good price. Nothing more, nothing less. ”

That was a relief. But even so...

” Say, Albert... This is a very good trade for you, doesn't it? ”

” Of course it is. Let alone the price, just the simple fact that I sell materials from import will boost my business. I must say that this was a fated encounter. ” he said and laughed as a true merchant would do.

” Then, what would you say if someone will sell you a lot more... Not all at once, of course. Another batch after we arrive in that city. After that, you sell some of them and after some days, you will receive another batch, and so on... ”

” That... doesn't sound so bad. Do you still have that many? ” he said with a serious face.

” Who knows. If you can get rid of them without attracting attention to me, or link them to me, I might have... ”

” In that care, we got another deal, Miss Elizabeth. Even if I can't sell them so fast, I can borrow money from my acquaintances. I want to make a profit. I can't sell to much at a time. ”

” I understand. I hope you can keep your promise. Oh, and I will stay a little more here to feel the wind. Do you mind? ”

” Oh, no, no, no. You are my guest... Stay how much you like. ” he said with a broad smile on his face. After a deal like that, who wouldn't have one?

I shut down my eyes and started to concentrate on the wind. I had that racial skill, [Elemental Magic Affinity] which probably helped me to gain fire and earth already. Maybe the ring was involved as well? I didn't know exactly since I couldn't appraise it completely. 

My attempt for [Water Manipulation] was a total mess but that might be because I didn't try hard enough, who knows? 

I had a huge advantage regarding magic thanks to my race. It was a pity not to use it. Not to mention that my ring boasted my Spirit status which was already pretty advanced compared with someone who just started to learm magic.

  

124