Chapter 44: A pair of siblings.
5.4k 17 91
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After I finished my little lecture, we started to move again since I didn't want to lose any more time pointlessly. 

If I remember correctly, the receptionist girls said something about their materials being pretty valuable as well. We managed to spend our money somehow so we had to succeed in this quest no matter what. 

We still had the other half of the monster bodies in my ring, the ones that Fiona didn't manage to work with yet. There was a lot of meat too but that wasn't enough. 

If we want to stick to this business, we should prepare some armor for both of us. Something light will be perfect since I couldn't picture ourselves as two walking lumps of metal. 

Since that was the case we had to prepare some extra money. If we had to do it, we might as well buy some relatively good stuff. 

There's no reason to be stingy when it comes to one's life.’

We wouldn't be mistaken for little girls that were lost like that pervert guard assumed at first. Almost all the adventures around there were wearing at least some basic kind of armor after all. Not to mention that I want to wear cool looking armor too. 

Despite my expectations, the road was quite peaceful. We didn't encounter any monster or wild animal even after we traveled for quite a while. If we exclude the two or three parties of adventurers who were returning to the city, we didn't encounter anything else. 

Maybe the reason was the large number of people coming and going for the quest. Since the road was used quite a bit these days, the chances to encounter something was low.

Since that was the case, we raised our pace in hopes of arriving here faster. The sole pause we made was for us to eat something. 

” Lizza. ”

” Hmm? What is it, Fio? ”

” I think it should be around an hour already. ”

” Okey. Then, we should set our camp for the night around here? ”

” Mm. ”

When we asked for some information at the guild this morning, they said that the forest was located two hours on foot from where the principal road was intersected with the closest village to the forest. 

We didn't want to camp too close to the forest, at least not on the first night. Instead, we decided to stop here. 

We took quite the distance from the road since we wanted to make a fire for the night. I started to gather some dry firewood from around while Fiona was preparing the place for the night.

” This much should be enough... What do you think, Fio? ”

” Mm... Enough. ”

” Mmmm, why did you take out the dagger? ” 

” We run out of materials. I want to prepare the others too. ”

” Oh... Are you sure? You need to be prepared for tomorrow. Maybe you should rest to be at your peak. ”

” I can't sleep that much. There's still around an hour before the sunset. ”

She had a point. Despite the time I lived in this world, I still forget sometimes that there was a blue moon and a red moon. Theoretically, this should count around midday or so. No matter how much I tried to get used to this, it was still quite strange for me. 

” Mmm... Okay, let me take out some of them. I should prepare my stuff too... Maybe... ”

” Lizza. ” an angry voice came from my back after I took out some monster corpses and I was about to take out my stuff too. 

As I turned my head to see what was going on, I was greeted with an angry-looking Fiona who was glaring at me for some reason. 

” What happened? ” I asked with a small voice. I wasn't used to see angry-looking Fiona to often. Even less one angry because of me for some reason... probably.

” Lizza, sleep. ”

” Huh!? ”

” Lizza need to sleep. You promised. ”

” Yeah, but... ”

” You promised. ”

That was not to good. I already break a promise back then and that didn't turn to good. I had to handle this with care. 

” I know. I said that I will sleep tonight but there's still an hour before the blue moon to show up. Didn't I tell you that? ”

” Mm, but... ”

” It's fine... When the blue moon appears, I will go straight to sleep. You can work with those materials and we will switch when the red one appears. ”

” Mm, but... ”

” Fio, since I can't do much while the red moon is up since I need to be more cautious in that period, you can sleep with your head on my lap. I'll stroke your head until you fall asleep. ”

I actually didn't lie about that. We couldn't be careless during that period after all so I had to be extra careful on my watch. Since that was the case I could bait her with it so I could finish the preparations right now. She wouldn't be able to resist such a deal after all.

” Mmmm. Okay... ”

There you are. Victory! Muahaha...’

I took out the arrows and the other materials and started to prepare them for tomorrow morning. 

----------------------------------------

-Elliott, the C rank adventurer’s POV-

 

Bullshit... So much bullshit...’

*bang*

I couldn't help but smack my hand on the table in annoyance. Bad news one after another. 

” Elliott, calm down. ” a feminine voice came from the other side of the table. 

She had long blonde hair pinned in a ponytail that was resting on her left shoulder. She had a well-proportioned face with a small nose and pink lips. Her eyes had a dark blue nuance that enchanted her beauty even further. 

Since we are pretty much together all the time and for some reason, our looks were completely different despite us being siblings she is often mistaken as my ’undeserved’ girlfriend. 

From the day our parents died in a monster attack seven years ago I was forced to become an adventurer to take care of us since she was just 12 years old at that time. 

It was her older brother's responsibility to take care of her even though there was just three years difference between us. 

*sigh*

I let out a sigh and shook my head as to forget about our sour past. But even though we are pretty good right now, there always must be something to spoil the mood like this. 

” Elliott, that's the situation... We could do nothing about it. ” 

” Haaaaaa... I know, but it still pisses me out. These garbage knights. This city would be so much better without them. ”

” Elliott! ”

” Yeah, yeah... I know. Things will get bad if they heard me. ”

” No. You don't seem to understand. Things wouldn't just get bad... ”

” Yeah, yeah... I'll shut up... Are you happy now, Silvia? ”

” Yes, thank you. ” she said with a firm voice and took another sip from her favorite fruit juice. 

At moments like these, I wonder who was the older sibling and who was the younger. Even though I bravely hit my chest in pride because I managed to protect her despite our misfortune, it was a fact that she was forced to grow up and mature from a young age. 

” Shit. ”

” Elliott. ”

” I didn't say anything wrong this time. ”

” Do you remember why we came here? You are spoiling my mood too. ”

” Yeah, yeah... Sorry. ”

She was right. We came here to eat something and forget about all that shit. She brought me here since this place was serving her favorite juice though. 

I had to remind myself from time to time that even if she's pretty much composed all the time, she had her limits as well. 

She's quite scary when angry...’

Shaking my head again, I took another bite from my grilled meat. It was already half-cold but I forced myself to eat it since I didn't want to admit that it was my fault since I complained too much and the dish turned like that. I had my pride too.

Then again... Things would be so much better without that bunch of buffons and that damn city lord. The guys from the guild had to work their asses off to assemble the Queen subjugation party but that greedy lord... 

Not just that he wanted to place his knights around the nest for backup, security, and bullshit but they dare to drag us back to. 

We need to wait for them another two whole days since they weren't even ready yet. 

’Goddamit! I'm pissed again...’

” Huuuuhh... ”

I had to calm down since Silvia’s expression was starting to change in something that wasn't looking good for my health. It was obvious that she was pissed too... 

It was just that she didn't show it on the outside but I know her from a lifetime... 

’Yeah, she's pissed too...’

” Do you want another cup, Silvia? ”

” No, I'm fine. ”

Yup, she's definitely upset... That's not good.’

” How about we pay a visit to Rebecca after this? Since these bastards can't move their asses faster we got some free time. ”

” Elliott... What did I say earlier? ”

” Yeah, yeah... I know... ”

” But that's not a bad idea. ”

Success!’

Since Rebecca was running some kind of clothes shop exclusively for women, it would be boring for me but I could leave them alone as always and take a stroll by myself. 

Rebecca's shop wasn't cheap by any mean but since we couldn't afford a lot of stuff when we were children she got this strange satisfaction in buying whatever she missed or craved for back then. 

I didn't mind either way since we weren't poor anymore. I was quite successful and if the damn city lord and the jerks from the knight order wouldn't steal too many achievements from us in this quest, she should be eligible to take a rank up after this. 

It would be much easier to take quests together if she would be promoted to rank C as well.

 

91