Vol. 1 Extra 1
385 3 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I’ll expose that Su Xia and tear off that mask he was trying so hard to desperately hold on to!

 

At least, that was Mao Yijun’s plan, anyway.

After the first week of being appointed Su Xia’s newest servant, he decided to play simple ‘pranks’ on the older male, to try and make him rage and throw off the disguise he was hiding under. The first thing he thought of was to tell a simple lie. After looking for the preteen for almost half an hour, how Su Xia managed to hide himself in a building that wasn’t all that big Mao Yijun would never figure out, he finally found him sitting in one of the empty rooms, sipping a cup of tea while silently reading one of the few old books he owned.

With a pleasant smile on his face, Mao Yijun approached him. “Young Master?”

Su Xia slowly blinked as he lowered the book, meeting Mao Yijun’s gaze with his indifferent one, something that still unsettled Mao Yijun no matter how many times their eyes met. “Mao Yijun? How may I help you?”

Mao Yijun forced down a shudder at his obviously faked concern and kept his smile on his face as he spoke, “Young Master wishes to get along with everyone here, correct?” When he got a small nod in response, he continued, “Young Master also likes to cook, correct?” Another nod. “Then, why doesn’t Young Master make food according to the servant’s favorite tastes?”

Su Xia’s eyes lit up dimly, as if that idea had just occurred to him. “I see… That’s a smart idea.”

“I heard Elder Brother Qin Hong’s favorite foods were spicy foods,” Mao Yijun continued, striking while the iron was hot. Whether or not Su Xia truly forgot his memories mattered not, the Su Xia from before never bothered learning his servant’s preferences so telling a small lie like this wouldn’t trigger him. It was common fact among the servants, however, that Qin Hong absolutely despised spicy foods and actively avoided them whenever possible.

Su Xia listened to his words carefully, his eyes lighting up with understanding as he nodded. “I see. Thank you.” With that said, he got up and walked out of the room, missing Mao Yijun’s widening grin. This will be fun to watch!

 

“Young Master, what have I done to upset you?” Qin Hong cried out, hurriedly gulping down water as he fanned his mouth with his other hand.

Su Xia watched him, guilt practically radiating off his person as he apologized, “I’m sorry… I thought you enjoyed spicy foods.”

“Young Master, I hate spicy foods!” Qin Hong complained, eyes watering and face contorting in pain.

“I’m sorry… I must have mistook it for someone else.” Su Xia said quietly, the guilt and shame clear in his eyes though his facial expression remained stiff.

Qin Hong smiled bitterly, “It’s fine, Young Master didn’t know! Though, the only person who enjoys spicy foods here is Madam Hou Lin. In fact, those are her favorite types of food!”

Su Xia’s eyes lit up while Mao Yijun’s widened. Mao Yijun, Su Xia, and Qin Hong all stood in the kitchen, Qin Hong cooling his fiery mouth with water after eating the spicy meats Su Xia had served him. Mao Yijun had taken a seat at the table a little while after Qin Hong started complaining and, while dissatisfied with how anticlimactic it had turned out, was pleased to find out Madam Hou Lin’s favorite food.

While he certainly could have asked her in his previous timeline, Mao Yijun felt as if he didn’t deserve such personal knowledge about anyone, so he refrained from asking. Not only that, but Madam Hou Lin was not a picky person by any means and thus showed no signs one way or another towards favoring something. While one may think that he could have just asked her upon rewinding, there were a few problems with that.

One, it was still only his ‘first week’ there, and thus they were still practically strangers. Two, in the Liang Continent, asking such ‘personal’ questions were seen as an attempt to court the person you were to ask, such as one’s favorite foods or color, and so Mao Yijun wouldn’t have asked even if he had been working in this place for years! The reason being because, once one were to learn of them, they would try and woo the other by wrapping gifts in their favorite color or preparing their favorite foods, whether it be personally or taking them to a place where they served them.

While, as a child, it was easy to be forgiven for asking people older than themselves or other children around the same age, one was taught the importance of asking such questions at the age of thirteen by their parents and other adult figures in their lives. Seeing as how Mao Yijun was mentally older than his appearance by hundreds of years, he felt too awkward to ask anyone such questions no matter what.

Qin Hong left after cooling his mouth and left Su Xia and Mao Yijun alone, both silent, as if waiting for the other to speak.

After some time, Su Xia spoke up, “It seems you must have mistaken Qin Hong’s tastes with Madam Hou Lin’s.”

Mao Yijun remained silent, silently cursing both Su Xia and Qin Hong in his heart. Mistaken your sister! He knew perfectly well that Qin Hong hated spicy foods! However, this was the perfect time. He waited to see Su Xia rip off his mask and beat him then and there, even sparing the other a quick glance. Mao Yijun was surprised when he noticed the other was looking at him as well, two pairs of eyes locked with each other.

What shocked him even more was that, not only did Su Xia not snap at him, the person known for hating lies on an extreme level, but even dared to ask one of the dumbest questions Mao Yijun had ever heard:

Su Xia: “Mao Yijun, what are your favorite foods?”

Mao Yijun stared at him dumbly and then let out an incredulous huff before turning around and storming off, a light blush on his cheeks. That Su Xia! Asking him such a question just to humiliate him! Just you wait! He’ll rip off that mask yet! He slammed the door shut, leaving a confused Su Xia standing there, alone, wondering what he said wrong.

17