(Chpt. 19) Secrets?
7.1k 14 133
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Was this chapter ok?
  • No, it was more than ok. I liked it. Votes: 100 38.6%
  • It was ok. Votes: 30 11.6%
  • You did your best and that is all what matters. Votes: 119 45.9%
  • Meh. Votes: 10 3.9%
Total voters: 259
I really wanted to name the chapter bath time. But couldn't seeing the cliffhanger from the previous chapter.


How am I supposed to answer that? I can't just go like: 'Oh yea, I am the master craftsman.' As if that would work! Taking a look at her. She is now trembling and looking at the ground while fidgeting, and I am just wondering how to answer that troublesome question. I have to play it dumb.

 

"What do you mean by that? I am Yami."

"That's a lie."

 

She instantly answered without hesitation however she went back to looking at the ground. This is troublesome...

I decided to ask her ignoring her nervousness.

 

"What do you mean by that?"

 

She heard me. However, I only heard silence. She kept fidgeting on the spot until I heard some mutter, but I still could not hear her voice yet. After taking a long breath she finally said in a somewhat quiet and stuttery manner.

 

“I-I have never heard your name before… I am guessing you have reached level 100 already, t-that is hero levels of strength… Y-Yet you are not famous… Just, who are you?”

 

How do I even answer? Who am I? The master craftsman? My name is not even Kuro at this point… Haaa. Well, let’s see… I am a high-level beastkin right now. Now thinking about it, I am pretty much no-one aside from my classes and levels. Not a single person knows about me yet… Well, I guess I will just answer her.

 

“I don’t know…”

 

Hearing this Ari stopped moving, she slowly lifted her head to make eye contact, however, I just had an uneasy expression. Ari looked at the ground without saying anything.

 

“Then, can you tell me what you know?”

 

Haa? Well, I guess I can do that if it does not go too far into personal levels.

 

“I can answer your questions if I am able to.”

Ari hearing my reply quietly walked and sat on one of the chairs across me. After a brief silence, she decided to speak.

 

“Why are you such a high level.”

“I killed a lot of monsters.” I answered nonchalantly.

 

The Q&A session began, most of her questions had to do with. Why I had things like items that were [Rare] grade. However, there were some questions I ignored the ones I answered mostly came down to: ‘I killed monsters.’ Which was basically grind. Of course, Ari was unconvinced to pretty much all of my answers despite it being the truth. She did not question it for some reason. I wonder what is she thinking about?

 

“Who is Aizen?” She suddenly asked.

“... My sister.” I answered with a fractured smile… My sister… Haha… Such an annoying sister!

“Well… Yami… You and Aizen behave more like little kids than sisters…”

 

My heart... It hurts. She is merciless... Ari continued speaking.

 

“So, who is she?”

 

Haa, I guess I should at least answer this one.

 

“Well it is true we are technically family members. However, Aizen is not really human ra-”

“Of course she isn’t human, she is a half-elf!” Ari jolted from her seat while declaring with full confidence. Interrupting me mid-sentence…

“Aizen is not really a half-elf either or any other humanoid race for that matter…” I dismissed Ari’s declaration, she was frozen for a few seconds but she somewhat relaxed as time went by. She slowly sat back down. With all her nervousness gone. She asked.

 

“Then… what is she?”

“That is a good question… I do not know... “ Ari just looked at me with an open mouth and blinked a few times. After a few seconds. Ari took a deep breath and inquired.

“... So, what is your TRUE relationship with her?” Ari gave emphasis to the true part. I guess she should know at least a bit.

“Aizen is my ex-summoned beast.”

 

After my declaration, Ari’s eyes widened and she just sat there with wide-open mouth. She looked at me then at her. She kept doing it for what probably felt like an eternity.

 

“How does that even work!” She exclaimed in frustration while muttering things and holding her head in pain. ‘Haa, I wish I knew…’ I muttered. After a brief pause, I told her.

 

“… Well, I think you should ask her when you get the time.”

 

After the conversation was finished. Ari looked unsatisfied however her expression seemed to have some regret in it. I got up from the table and was going to check out what was in the door room. As I was walking, I heard Ari’s quiet voice.

 

“Yami… Can I really come with you?”

“Yes, we promised. Remember?”

 

I answered her, however, she was silent. I turned around only to see Ari pouring on the table with a downcast face and dark eyes… She slowly raised her head and looked at me, after a brief silence she started speaking an almost inaudible and trembling voice.

 

“... W-Will you protect me?”

“Well I do not know who you need protection from, but I will…” I gave a somewhat casual answer but rest assured I absolutely will. I decided I would take care of you. Even if I never told you anything Ari.

 

She was silent from hearing my words however her grim face regained some color, her eyes regained focus. She burrowed her face on her arms and kept crying.

 

I stood there watching her for a few seconds. ‘I guess that is fine… Although I do not understand.’ I muttered as I was turning around. As I was about to reach the door I heard the chair screech. I turned around to see what was happening. Ari was standing there looking at me with a gaze full of determination with slightly flushed and wet cheeks, her legs were trembling.

 

She declared while pointing her hand at me.

 

“I don’t care who you are. You are Yami to me!” Her voice became somewhat childish towards the end but I guess that was fine. I had a smile on my face for some reason. I turned around and finally opened the door. It was indeed a bath. When Ari peered in she reflexively questioned.

 

“A bath?”

 

Is it really that uncommon to even surprise her? Well, that is good I guess I can try to take a bath. I don't feel dirty yet but I want a bath. I have not taken a bath in? Ah… I have never taken a bath… VR did not allow it and... Real life? I could not feel it. I don’t even remember it… Well, first time for everything…

 

As I was about to enter the room Ari pulled my sleeve. She looked at me expecting something. Does she want to take a bath with me? No way…

 

“Ari, could it be you want to take a bath with me?” I asked jokingly.

“... Nn.” She slowly and quietly nodded.

 

A bath? With her? I do not want to go to jail!… Wait... is there even a jail here? Do I even have any desire? Ahh, so many questions to answer… Ari was looking at me wondering why I was standing still. I guess, I spaced out yet again.

 

I looked inside the bath, it was not very spacious but it had a somewhat spacious tub with a mirror next to it and what looked like straw baskets for clothes on a rack next to the door. The tub seemed that it could fit around two adults in it.

 

There was a drain next to the tub and a few buckets. I think I was supposed to wash myself before using the tub? It does sound very logical… As I internally nodded. Ari went into the bathroom before me. The floor looked rather slippery due to it being white ceramic. ‘Isn’t this rather luxurious?’ I muttered while walking into the bath. I noticed some pelts hanging from the wall. I am guessing they are towels?

 

I started taking all of my clothes off. Looking at my body I did not feel excited for some reason… Could it be… Nonono! I frantically shook my head at what I was thinking. I noticed Ari’s clothes on one of the baskets. I put all of my clothes on another basket and took the [Disguise] ring off. I shivered after taking it off. It was honestly fairly uncomfortable to wear. It just did not feel right at all. I left the other two rings on. ‘Both of them are important although they are important in different ways.’ I wryly smiled thinking about it…

 

“Yami, you are not coming?” Ari pulled me out of my thoughts.

 

“Ah, sorry I was thinking for a second.”

 

I apologized and turned around to go to the bath. The tub was already filled with warm water and the room was getting steamy. Ari was washing herself with one of the buckets. I noticed that the tub faucet did not have controls, as I was watching Ari touched the faucet and water came out. When she stopped touching it just stopped.

 

“Ari what is that?” I said while pointing at the faucet. She just tilted her head to the side in confusion. After she noticed what I was pointing at, she just tilted her head yet again.

 

“Yami, you are joking right?” Hearing this I just shook my head.

“Ha… It's a magical tool for baths.” She said while saying the obvious. Wait... magical-tool? Is it the same as that paper in the guild? I decided to ask, rather… I had to ask.

 

“Is it like that paper at the guild?” Ari slowly and awkwardly nodded as if I was saying something that is common knowledge… Well, the world sure has changed. I guess I will find out soon enough.

 

I headed towards Ari and grabbed a bucket. Just as I was about to touch the magic-tool faucet.

 

“S-Stop!” Ari raised her voice in panic.

 

Confused I asked.

 

“What is it?”

“Umm, Yami it is better for you to not touch it.” She said while fidgeting in a somewhat gentle voice.

 

Will it blow up or something? I tilted my head to the side.

 

“Why is that?”

“It will break because of your mana.”

 

Break because of my mana? Does it do something like drain your mana and make it into water? That shouldn’t be possible. Haha.

 

“Will it explode when I touch it due to it absorbing my mana or something?” I jokingly said, however, Ari did not move or even had a smile for that matter, she just slowly nodded…

 

Ah well… I guess I can’t do it.

 

I let Ari help me with filling the bucket, she looked at my body with sparkling eyes as if wanting to wash me but I decided to ignore it. As I was washing I noticed something… There was no soap.

 

“Ari is there soap?” She just tilted her head.

“Yami, soap is an item only for nobles.”

 

Wait... Is that how it was? I dropped my shoulders in disappointment. I kept washing while Ari was playing in the tub. ‘This feels rather nice.’ I relaxedly muttered. As I finished washing. Ari grabbed my hand and pulled me in with her.

 

I slowly entered the tub with the warm water, it felt incredibly nice. I just relaxed my body submerging it from the chin down. ‘This is bliss… How can it be I never got to try this?!’ I complained in my mind.

 

“Yami.”

“Yes?”

 

Ari was looking at me with a somewhat blushed face and dazzling eyes, however, she was fidgeting with both of her hands. ‘Is she embarrassed?’ As I was thinking I heard her stuttering.

 

“W-Will y-you let me touch your tail!”

 

Ha? My tail? Wait… I do have one now, don’t I? Looking behind me surely enough it was just like a cat’s tail. It was wiggling every now and then… It was rather cute. I honestly forgot I had one… I guess its fine for her to touch it however this is rather embarrassing.

 

“S-sure.”

 

I turned around facing away from Ari when suddenly I felt a jolt. She was stroking my tail… It felt way better than I thought it would, however, I would not say it would make me go ‘Nyaa!’ or something… I kept happily swaying my tail every time she touched it. Wait... What is this?! My heart is beating faster and faster…

 

Prrrr...

 

Wait?! I am purring?! This is too embarrassing!

 

I pulled my tail away from Ari and she looked rather upset from it. But I don’t care, as good as that felt... I am not a cat! That is Fenri’s role… Wait, where’s Fenri?

 

We continued washing without saying a single word due to the previous interaction. I dried myself with one of the pelts next to the door and so did Ari she got dressed in the same clothes. I put on the same clothes I was wearing because honestly, they were incredibly clean. I am guessing they don’t get dirty? That would be nice.

'I guess I can avoid using the ring seeing this is a small town? Besides, it feels like my lower back and head are continuously being pressed down by a mysterious force when I use it... It's uncomfortable, it does not feel good.' With those thoughts, I decided to put away the [Disguise] ring in my inventory. As we were walking into the main-room I heard scratching on the entrance door. What could it be?

I decided to open the door.

 

“Fenri?”

 

He was at the entrance. I was surprised. However, he was just looking at the ground and not wagging his tail. Could it be I left him outside?

 

“I am sorry Fenri.”

 

Fenri heard this but ignored it and walked into the room, he seemed rather upset. He just laid down next to Aizen basically ignoring me. There was a single bed for Ari and me. She petted Fenri while he was on the ground. I would pet him too, but I don’t think I should… Seeing he was giving me mean looks.

My head started hurting and I felt a little bit worn down.

 

'It is still so bright' I muttered as I looked at the ceiling and I saw the magic-tools that looked like some type of crystal. They basically lit up the whole room. I guess we should sleep? Although sleeping like this might be annoying...

 

I headed towards the bed and so did Ari, however, she followed me in a somewhat awkward and reluctant way.

 

I arrived at the bed and laid down leaving some space for Ari. She got into bed and clapped? At that time the whole room went dark. ‘Huh, rather convenient?’ As I was muttering Ari whispered.

 

“Yami, I am sorry.”

“About?”

 

I was at loss about what she was sorry. However, her voice did not change from the regretful tone she talked in.

 

“I-I know you shouldn’t really touch a beastkin’s tail. But I still asked you if I could and you accepted… So I am sorry about it, I heard a beastkin’s tail is something special for them.”

 

Special? I can see why… Yeah, never again… Ari was silent I think she was waiting for my reply. I talked in a somewhat soft tone because it was mostly my fault in my opinion.

“Don’t worry about it, just don’t do it again.”

 

Ari quietly agreed to not do it again. Seeing the whole room was dark now I was beginning to feel all of the fatigue from today and started dozing off. At that time I felt something warm press against me and wrap around me. It was Ari, she was hugging me.

 

“Ari?”

 

I decided to ask her, however, I got no answer. I think she fell asleep. ‘Well, I do not mind.’ I muttered as I dozed off.


The bath scene took way longer to write than the actual cliffhanger... whew. I would like to note that the cat behaviour is just based on the cat I used to have. So it might not be entirely accurate. 

Hey guys Azrie here. Thank you all for reading this far. I thought it was a great time to mention this but I have opened a Patreon you can now support me if you wish so. I am currently offering to read one chapter ahead. I have to say they are just the first draft so they are not as well edited as the ones I post here. I will add more chapters as I create a chapter buffer. 

I would also like to add that you can simply support me by clicking the favorite button or leaving a nice comment in general. 

Thank you all for reading.

133