Chapter 4: Preparation for an illusion
789 3 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

    “How many times have I already told you? I can help with the investigation!” a blonde woman was arguing with a knight.
    “Civilians are not allowed in this high-risk area”, the knight argued.
    We arrived at the scene to see a girl in a brown coat and hat arguing with one of the knights. Her description matches with what I’ve read.
    “Ah! You two must be the knights in charge! Let me help you catch the thief!” the woman said.
    “And you are?” Captain Reagan asked.
    “Amelia Watson, a detective. For a phantom thief like this, you need a detective to catch her”, she grinned.
    “Captain Noel. She could help us out”, I vouched for her.
    “Are you sure, Mikage?” she asked.
    “She’s the real deal”, I nodded.
    “Have you heard of me?” Amelia asked.
    “Yeah. You’ve been pretty active in the 13th unit’s area. There were reports from our knights that you’ve been helping them catch robbers and find missing items for the past month.”
    “Really? How come I’ve never heard of her?” Captain Noel asked.
    “It’s because you don’t do your job of reading the reports. Her name keeps on appearing on the knight’s reports as a great help for the investigations.”
    “So are you saying we should trust her?” Captain Reagan asked.
    “In my opinion, we need all the help we can get. Heck, even me, who’s just an administrative officer, is here. We’re in no position to reject a helping hand”, I answered.
    He thought for a while.
    “Okay then. Amelia Watson, you’re in. Mikage, you keep an eye on her since you’re the one who vouched for her”, Captain Reagan said.
    “Alright! So what do we know about her?” Amelia asked.
    “She is a phantom thief who relies on magicless tricks to steal her target. She sent us a message declaring that she will steal the White Star”, Captain Noel said and showed her a piece of paper.
    “Hmmm... Artix Grace! When the moon divides two people, under the name of White Star, pushed by the waves, I will arrive. -Spade Echo”, Amelia had a serious face.
    “From what we’ve decoded, she will definitely strike on Artix 1, the day of Artix Grace. We don’t understand the rest of the code”, Captain Reagan said.
    “Hey. What’s Artix Grace?” I whispered to Temma.
    “Artix is the god of entertainment and mischief. Artix Grace is a day where people would joke around and do harmless pranks on each other. It happens every first day of Artix”, Temma answered.
    So it was like April Fools huh? It’s kinda weird how some holidays in my world reached this world. For example, they have Snowfall, an event that happens on Deus 25 where people give gifts to each other and also have Day of Love, a Valentine’s Day-like event on Ferrus 14.
    “Hmmmm....” Amelia was staring at the paper real hard, “What are your plans until Artix 1?”
    “We’re going to tighten the security of this hall until Spade Echo appears. But it is bothersome that we don’t know what her message meant”, Captain Noel said.
    “I’m going to take a look around, is that okay?” Amelia asked.
    “As long as Mikage accompanies you, you can go anywhere”, Captain Reagan said.
    “Well then, let’s go!”
    I followed her around as she walked all over the place. Sometimes she would take a look at the coded message and rub her chin then she would continue walking around.
    “Do you have any idea what her coded message meant?” I asked her.
    “Nope. Not a clue. I’m just trying to look around and see any possible place she would arrive”, she answered.
    “Hey, Mikage. It’s almost time for lunch! You wanna grab a bite or something?” Temma approached us.
    Amelia then ran to the nearest window and took out a pocket watch.
    “What are you doing?” I asked.
    “I’m trying to know the direction using my clock”, she answered.
    “You could do that?” Temma asked.
    “Yeah. It’s actually simple. First you have to point the hour hand to the sun. Because Westa is in the northern hemisphere, the south is between the number 12 and the hour hand.”
    She then grinned.
    “Hey, Mikage. Do you have an Excellular?” she asked.
    An Excellular was a device that could send text messages and call other people. It was similar to a cellphone back in my world except that it uses magic.
    “Yeah”, I answered.
    “Let me see it”, she said and I gave it to her. She looked outside the window again and then pressed the buttons.
    “I placed my contact there. I also registered your Excellular to mine too. I’ll call you if something’s up”, Amelia said and began to walk away.
    “Wait. Where are you going?”
    “Back to my office. I’ll see what I can find out about Spade Echo. If something urgent happens, don’t hesitate to call me.”
  


    It was currently 11:30 in the evening of Marth 31. Most of the knights were at the exhibition hall guarding the White Star. Meanwhile, I was in the barracks doing the paperwork. Unlike the other knights, I was not that good in fighting nor do I have an experience of catching thieves. That’s why I told Captain Noel that I’d stay behind and do administrative work even if she wanted to bring me along.
    My Excellular rang and when I looked at the screen, it showed that Amelia Watson was calling me.
    “Hello?” I answered her call.
    “Ah! Mikage! Are you busy right now?” she asked.
    “Not really. Why?”
    “I need to go to the rooftop of Westa Monument Tower but I need someone with authority to allow me to go there. If it’s okay with you, could you accompany me there?”
    “Is this related to Spade Echo?”
    “Yep.”
    I looked at the time. Why would Amelia need to go there? Well, she was my responsibility so I guess I should follow her. And besides, this would probably help her out in the investigation.
    “Okay then. Wait for me there”, I said.
    When I arrived at the Westa Monument Tower, Amelia was already waiting at the entrance. I went to the front counter and showed them my Knight Crest so we were given permission to go to the rooftop.
    When we arrived there, it was dark and empty with only the light of the moon and stars shining on us.
    “Why are we here anyway?” I asked.
    “Why? It’s to meet Spade Echo of course”, Amelia said.
    What she said surprised me.
    “What? She’s coming here? How did you know?”
    “She said it herself on her message.”
    “You decoded it?”
    “The “two people” in the “When the moon divides two people" must be a satellite and the sun. "The moon divides" refers to the eclipse created when the moon gets in between the two. After researching a bit, I found one satellite that fits the bill on Artix 1, which was the Westa Satellite. It fits since its initials are WS which is the same for White Star, hence the “under the name of the White Star” part of her message.”
    That’s right. Satellites exist in this world. They were used for broadcasting the television channels and communicating all over the world. The satellites were created from a mix of magic and science.
    “From “Artix Grace”, Spade Echo should be arriving between 12:30 to 4:30 AM on Artix 1 when the satellite forms an eclipse. The “waves” in "pushed by the waves" mean magical waves produced by the satellite so she would be coming from the direction of the WS broadcast signals. Westa Satellite signals are sent south west, 42.3 degrees above sea level. The only place that is within view of Westa Exhibition Hall from that direction is the rooftop of Westa Monument Tower”, she continued.
    “Then why did you only bring me here? If you told Captain Noel or the others, we could have trapped her”, I said.
    “No worries. I got it all planned”, she showed me a rocket and a lighter, “and besides, I’m kinda curious about the thief who would boldly give that much information.”
    I tried to remain calm and looked around. It was currently 12:28 AM and if Amelia’s deduction was correct, she should be arriving soon.
    And when I looked behind me, I saw her.
    Without disturbing the stillness of the night, she landed silently in front of my eyes, along with that fearless smirk that said she had foreseen everything.
    The phantom thief Spade Echo arrived.
    

25