Special Chapter: A glimpse of the distant past
72 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A blonde girl was tending the wounds of a soldier. Her name was Amelia Watson, a young doctor. She was considered a genius among geniuses. Amelia aced all of the examinations and became a licensed doctor at a young age of 15. Her life would’ve been a blessed one if not for the ongoing war.

The world was under a huge war. It all started when a king declared war on all of the nations. Normally, a country that would declare war against the entire world wouldn’t last long. However, the king had a strange power within him. Every soldier in his army were powerful Dark Mages and caused devastating damage. Many countries already fell and countless lives were lost.

It was called the Dark Times.

Amelia was working endlessly. Because she was a doctor, she had to treat everyone’s wounds. She always thought that the reason why she was gifted with intelligence was so that she could help everyone in need. That’s why despite her parents’ protests, she went to the frontline and tended to wounded soldiers all day.

“Dr. Watson. We have more injured soldiers on the third tent”, a medic told her.

When she arrived there, she was completely disheartened. There were far too many injured people and not enough medics. The mad king’s army was too powerful. Even a regular soldier from his army could take on a group of warriors. 

“Dr. Watson, your orders”, another medic went to her.

Despite being 15, Amelia had enough authority. She was the most skilled doctor in the area since the others wouldn’t dare to go to the frontline. Her intelligence already saved many lives and the other medics respected her for it.

“Prioritize those who are severely injured. If you think they can still survive, then make them low priority. I know it’s harsh but we have to let them grit their teeth while we save those who are in danger”, Amelia barked her orders and the rest of the medics ran around.

They diagnosed the injuries of every soldier and they prioritized treating those who were in danger of losing their lives. Most of the time, Amelia would be forced to choose between two soldiers who were gravely injured. And sometimes, she would fail to save the soldier she didn’t choose.

Amelia knew that losing lives was just part of war. However, her mind was still haunted by the faces of the soldiers she failed to save. She knew she wasn’t omnipotent and she was just a regular human but she wished that she could save every life. If it weren’t for the mad king, then she would have lived a peaceful life.

She spent the entire day tending the wounds of the soldiers to the best of her abilities. It was already night time and she was taking a short break. The other medics forced her to take a break since she was working nonstop. However, she still felt bad for wasting time when she could save another soldier.

“Kikkeriki! Hey, Amelia”, an orange-haired woman greeted her.

“Oh... It’s you, Kiara”, Amelia looked at her.

Her name was Kiara Takanashi. She was a phoenix. Normally, phoenixes didn’t have any allegiance but for some reason, Kiara volunteered to help out Amelia’s country.

“How is the battlefield?” Amelia asked.

“It’s pretty bad. Their soldiers are too powerful. We are getting pushed back. Even if I was around, I couldn’t turn the tides of the battle”, Kiara had a sad smile on her face.

Amelia knew about phoenixes and their powers. If Kiara couldn’t hold back the enemies, then the situation was dire. 

“I wonder why would the mad king do this?” Kiara asked.

Amelia met Kiara in the battlefield but she knew that the phoenix wasn’t a warrior. Kiara had a gentle smile and she would always claim that she was a pacifist. She didn’t want to become violent but the Dark Times forced her to pick up her blade again. If Kiara didn’t participate in the war, the frontline would’ve been overrun already.

“When all of this is over, I’ll definitely run a fast food restaurant”, Kiara said.

“Will this ever be over?” Amelia asked.

She was losing hope. Amelia knew that sooner or later, her country would fall. The young doctor wanted to believe that they could win but her smart mind told her otherwise.

“The sun will always rise no matter how dark the night becomes. Just believe that we will get over this. I’ll even give you a discount since you’re my friend. I’m thinking that frying chickens will sell well! I already have an idea on what kind of herbs and spices I will use in my recipes”, Kiara told her.

Amelia let out a sad smile.

“If we make it out of this alive, I would want to have a taste of your recipes”, she said.

“Of course. I’m thinking of calling it Kiara’s Fried Phoenix. Do you think it’s catchy?”

“Where phoenix is everything but on the menu?”

“Hey! That’s actually a good slogan! Do you mind if I use it?”

“Sure. But I’m counting on a lifetime discount for that.”

“Anything for you, my friend!”

They shared a laugh. Thanks to Kiara’s optimism, Amelia’s mood lightened.

“Oh. And by the way, the other nations are sending out a group of heroes”, Kiara said.

“A group of heroes?”

“Yes. I heard that the nations gathered all of their strong warriors and adventurers. They will be the ones who will put an end to the Dark Times.”

“Why aren’t you part of those heroes? Aren’t you qualified since you’re an almighty phoenix?”

“That’s true... But I don’t want to leave this place behind. I will protect this country to the best of my abilities.”

Amelia looked at the distance. She wanted to help out in the fight but she wasn’t strong enough. Despite being a genius, her mana manipulation sucked. It was because magic required perseverance and as a genius, she had little patience. That was why she chose to become a doctor instead of a mage. 

“Actually-” Amelia couldn’t finish her sentence when an eerie feeling entered her mind. 

Before she could say anything, the entire area exploded.

###

“Wake.... Wake up!!” Kiara screamed at her and Amelia finally woke up.

Her entire body was in pain and she could feel blood oozing out of her head. 

“What happened?” Amelia asked.

“The entire base was blown up by a huge dark magic. We are under attack”, Kiara told her.

Amelia noticed that fiery wings were behind Kiara and her arms and legs were on fire. She was using her phoenix powers.

“The general told all medics and other people to evacuate. Now go while we buy you guys some time!” Kiara turned around and there were three soldiers.

Hot flames shot from her sword and killed one. However, the other two raised their shadows to form shields.

“Are you saying I should leave you behind?” Amelia asked.

“Yes!”

“B-But!”

“Don’t worry! I won’t die... At least not permanently. If I die, then that means I’ll see Calli again. There’s a silver lining in that. Now go!” Kiara faced the other two soldiers.

Amelia knew that she was just in Kiara’s way so she ran. Her heart was heavy and tears were coming out of her eyes.

Why? Why am I so useless?! She cursed herself repeatedly.

A ball of dark energy hit her and before she knew it, she was surrounded by enemy soldiers.

“I guess this is it... Sorry, Kiara. It seems you need to find someone else to be your loyal customer”, she closed her eyes.

And then everything became quiet. Amelia opened her eyes and saw that everything was frozen in place. 

“Amelia Watson. Your desire has been heard”, a voice echoed.

“W-Who’s there?” Amelia asked.

  A glowing ball of light appeared and Amelia could feel its raw power.

“You are given a choice. Will you meet your fate here or will you shelter the responsibilities?”

“Responsibilities?”

“Know this! I am the Primordial Time! By forming a contract with me, you will be able to live on for another day. If you use me properly, you will achieve your desires! Gather your resolve!”

A pocket watch was in the center of the glowing ball of light. Amelia knew that if she would touch it, her life would be different. She would no longer be a normal girl.

But if that meant she could save lives instead of dying helplessly, she would gladly take the responsibilities.

Amelia took the pocket watch and everything around her glowed.

When the light died down, Amelia found herself in a different place. It was no longer the battlefield but instead, she was in a city.

She then felt a strong hunger wash over her. Amelia collapsed to the ground and was about to pass out when she saw a man approach her.

###

Amelia woke up in a bed to see that her wounds were treated. A loaf of bread was on the table next to her and she ate it. She was too hungry to even think. When her stomach finally had something inside, she noticed two men looking at her.

“I knew she was hungry but did she really not notice us?” the first man asked.

“Shellin... I told you to not judge people that easily. As a detective, you have to be considerate too”, the second man told him.

“W-Who are you?” Amelia asked.

“When asking for a name, aren’t you supposed to introduce yourself first? Or were you raised in an uncivilized place?” the man named Shellin asked.

“Shellin... Don’t be rude. It’s normal for this girl to be confused”, the second man asked.

“I-I’m sorry... My name is Amelia Watson. I’m a doctor”, Amelia immediately introduced herself.

“I’m sure you have a strange tale, Dr. Watson. After all, you appeared in front of me with those injuries. But let’s start with introductions. This rude man is named Shellin Burgundy, my student”, the man said.

“Did you really have to include the “rude” part?” Shellin asked.

“Student?” Amelia ignored Shellin.

“Yes... My name is Ranpo Doyle, a detective.”

###

A/N: Thus ends the special chapter. This was made because FAW finally reached 1k votes in Wattpad. Thanks for supporting it and I hope to continue satisfying your expectations.

And yes.. I am still on a break but I had to do this.

2