Chapter 6 – The Tower
54 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Felix watched patiently as Cole and Lucy ran towards the wall. He continued concentrating his amplify magic as they got further away, waiting for his chance to strike. Felix knew he stood little chance of defeating a platinum adventurer in a fair fight, so he resorted to using his most potent ability from the very start. The moment her attention seemed to sway, he’d pounce.

When Lucy and Cole got closer to the inscription on the wall, it began to glow purple. To Felix’s surprise, a large portal radiated out from it, similar to the one he’d taken when entering The Tower. Regaining his focus, he continued to wait for an opportunity. As if on cue, an arrow struck Cole in the leg.

Now! Felix thought. Preparing his still frozen sword, Felix bore through the pain of the numbing ice. Releasing the mana he stored in his legs, Felix closed the gap between himself and Lucy within a second. He brought his arm forward, swinging his sword up to Lucy’s hip. His blade had been dulled by the ice but was still able to easily cut through her... far too easily, at that.

Felix had expected resistance as his blade connected with Lucy. To his surprise, there was absolutely none. His sword passed through her as if nothing was there at all. Felix was left off balance by this, overshooting his intending stopping point. He fell forward, this time connecting his head against Lucy’s back. Again, Felix could feel no noticeable resistance. He passed directly through Lucy, falling to the ground flat on his face. Regaining his composure, Felix watched as Cole and Lucy ran directly past him.

What? Felix thought to himself. How is she still moving? As Felix sat in awe, Cole and Lucy made their way into the portal, disappearing out of view. Felix tried to get up and give chase, but the portal was quick to close behind them.

“Damn it!” Felix yelled, hitting his hand against the ground. “If I can’t even kill a demon like that…”

Cole may have seemed weak, but he was a demon nonetheless. Felix figured he’d been tasked with infiltrating The Tower, forcing Cole to keep his magic a secret. Lucy’s intervention ended up being the demon’s saving grace, but why would a platinum adventure help a demon? Were they partners from the very start?

Regardless of how he felt, he’d lost this battle. Hearing footsteps approaching him, Felix looked up to see Azula.

“What?” Felix asked, sulking from his defeat.

“You should have listened to me,” Azula said, unsuccessfully trying to hold back her anger. “Look what you’ve done. All we had to do was wait, but you took matters into your own hands.”

“I thought I had her,” Felix replied. “How did I miss?”

“Are you even listening to me?”

“I’m sorry,” Felix said, looking up at Azula. “I let them go. That’s my fault.”

“That’s not the real issue here.”

“But how did she avoid my attack? I swear I cut right through her.”

“Your sword definitely hit,” Azula replied. “After you fell forward, it looked like you passed directly through her. Unless it was an elaborate mirage, I’d guess she can use more than just ice magic.”

“She can use two magics already?” Felix asked, flopping on his back. “That’s cheating.”

“More importantly,” Azula said, “you need to be more rational. What if she’d decided to kill you? Better yet, what if Cole was lying? Do you really think he’d just let you kill him?”

Before Felix could reply, the portal that Cole and Lucy had left through reopened. It shined with a brighter purple than before, immediately grabbing the attention of the room. Felix turned to it, ready to continue his pursuit. However, in Cole and Lucy’s place, a tall figure exited the portal. The man appeared to be in his thirties, having short, well-groomed hair and a well-kept goatee. His entrance closed behind him, removing the purple hue from his appearance. Heads taller than Felix, the man easily examined all the faces in the room.

“Who are you?” Felix asked, narrowing his eyes. “Where have you taken the demon?”

The man turned to Felix. Scanning him up and down, the man looked unimpressed. A pocket watch was hung by a chain at his waist. It swayed slightly, slowly coming to a resting position.

“My name is Sensei.” The man finally said. “Welcome to my tower.”

Sensei allowed his words to hang in the air. The various groups of people around the room began to talk among themselves.

The Sensei?” Azula asked, a hint of awe in her voice.

“Is there another?” Sensei asked, glaring at Azula.

“U-um, I-” Azula stuttered.

“No need to be so nervous,” Sensei said, his expression softening into a smile. “Yes, I am ‘the’ Sensei.”

“So,” Felix said, still wary of Sensei, “You’re not on the demon’s side?”

“You’re being rude,” Azula said, hitting Felix in the shoulder, “Sensei is a titled adventurer. Show some respect!”

“Thank you, Azula,” Sensei said, “there aren’t many these days who know much of tired adventurers like myself.”

Sensei looked back across the room. Those who’d been keeping their distance began to join the crowd approaching the inscription. However, they all stopped short of getting near Azula and Felix.

“So, you’re supposed to be as strong as Slayer?” Felix asked.

“Of course not!” Azula replied. “Sensei is probably leagues stronger than Slayer. I bet he could beat him as badly as Lucy beat you.”

“Take that back! Slayer is the greatest adventurer to have ever lived.” Felix said, turning to Sensei. “This guy is harboring a demon! How can we trust anything he says?”

“You don’t have to trust me.” Sensei said. “In fact, I’d take everything I say with a grain of salt. However…”

Sensei trailed off. He grabbed his watch, flipping it open. His brow furrowed as he read the time.

“My apologies, it seems I’ve spent too much time here.” Sensei sighed. “Everyone here is clear for entry. I’ll leave the rest to you, IQ.”

Abruptly, the portal Cole had left through reopened. Sensei began to turn around, signaling his departure.

“Wait, Sensei,” Azula said, “I need to ask you something.”

“So do I,” Felix said.

Sensei turned back to see the two intently staring at him. He sighed, checking his watch a second time.

“Will you bring the demon back?” Felix asked.

“Oh,” Sensei said, dropping his watch back to his side, “that is an interesting idea. I-”

“Sensei,” Azula interrupted, “Do you know anything about my-”

“I already know your question, Azula,” Sensei interrupted, “and, it’s not something I can answer so easily.”

“But-”

“However,” Sensei said, “I’ll give you both a choice. The first is something you’re already planning to do: climb The Tower. If you can manage this feat, I’ll answer any questions you have.”

Felix looked to Azula. She seemed to admire Sensei, but looked unsatisfied with his answer. Whatever questions she had, Felix assumed they must be pretty important to her.

“The other?” Felix asked, turning back to Sensei.

“Land a single hit on me,” Sensei replied, “though, it won’t be for whether or not I bring back Cole. If you can manage it, I’ll make you an obsidian adventurer, right here, right now.”

“You’re joking,” Felix said.

“If that’s what you wish to believe. I take it you both pick the former, then?”

Azula nodded her head, attempting to hide her disappointment. Felix, however, was still unsure of whether or not to trust this Sensei person. He’d showed up out of the blue, declaring he could make them obsidian adventurers on the spot. Even if Sensei was strong, landing a single hit didn't seem like much of a challenge. Isn’t he just stalling for Cole?

“I pick the duel,” Felix said, locking eyes with Sensei.

“That’s brave of you, Phallus, but I wouldn’t-”

“Felix! It’s Felix!”

“Ah, my apologies,” Sensei said. “Felix, are you sure of your choice?”

“Of course,” Felix replied. “I’m ready when you are.”

Felix reached down to grab his ice-covered sword. He felt a great deal of pain as he brought it to his side, but he bore through it. With such an opportunity before him, Felix couldn’t let a small injury get in his way. Besides, Felix thought Sensei looked pretty weak from his appearance, meaning he was most likely lying about being a titled adventurer.

“Are you sure, Felix?” Azula asked, seemingly concerned.

“I’ll be fine,” Felix said, turning to Azula. “We don’t even know if he’s the real deal.”

Felix turned back towards Sensei but was surprised to see Sensei towering over him. Taken aback, Felix immediately swung his sword at Sensei’s side. Before it could connect, Sensei’s hand flashed to its center. His hand squeaked around its dulled edge, easily shattered the frail weapon.

Taking a step back, Felix tried to regain his composure.

“I’ll warn you once,” Sensei said, intensely locking eyes with Felix. “The moment you come at someone with the kind of intent you showed towards Cole, expect it to be returned with far greater vitriol.”

“Wha- AH!” Felix yelled.

Sensei grabbed Felix by his arm, pulling him closer. A sudden, sharp pain went through Felix’s liver. It was too much for him to bear, forcing Felix to vomit from the pain. It took all he had to remain standing. Looking down, Felix saw Sensei’s fist firmly against the right of his ribcage.

“If you want to defeat those two,” Sensei said, “you’ll need to learn to hit where it will have the biggest impact. Take this as a lesson.”

Before Felix could reply, Sensei grabbed both of his wrists. Lifting up Felix’s hands, he saw clearly the damage he’d sustained from Lucy’s ice magic. It had given Felix some pretty serious frostbite.

Given the use of his magic, Felix was able to handle it better than most. However, it was still severely painful. If he were to enter The Tower as he was, Felix would be at a disadvantage. Taking note of this, Sensei grabbed both of Felix’s wrists together in one hand. Felix tried to resist, but it was futile. Sensei reached for his watch, clicking its button twice.

As Felix continued to struggle, he noticed something. The pain in his hands was fading, along with the pain in his stomach. Looking at his hands, Felix watched as the coating of ice gradually disappeared. Turning his eyes back to Sensei, Felix looked deep into his piercing gaze. Even the vomit that Felix had produced faded into nothing. Felix began to realize just how much stronger he’d have to become to obtain his coveted rank of obsidian adventurer.

“Now that you’re in a more ideal condition,” Sensei said, “would you like to continue?”

“No,” Felix replied, calmly accepting his loss, “but why did you help the demon escape?

Sensei let go of his hands as the ice was fully removed.

“When did I help him escape?” Sensei asked. “He’s now confined to my tower, which is as hard a place as any to leave. Would you be willing to track him down for me?”

“O-of course,” Felix replied, unsure of what to think.

“Good, good.” Sensei nodded, turning his gaze to Azula. “I expect great things from the both of you.”

“Thank you, Sensei,” Azula replied. “We’ll do our best.”

“That goes for the rest of you, too,” Sensei shouted across the room. “It will take everything you have to climb my tower. I look forward to meeting you there when you do.”

Sensei looked back to Azula, nodding his head slightly. In the short time it took for her to nod back, Sensei had already disappeared.

0