Reunion
1.6k 17 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was over.

Ming Yu was the only one in the room. The white walls reminded him of an hospital bed. He analyzed his clothes and surely they were strikingly similar to a patient's clothing so his concluded that he really was inside one.

Where was he? Was he really back home?

Or could this be ...

"No." How could it? That world was the last, this was reality. He's back.

There were no injuries in his body yet he felt heavily weak, sore and stiff. When he tried to pull himself up, the weight was too much for his arms to carry and he harshly fell back down.

The silence. He didn't like it.

With the room empty, Ming Yu's mind was taking him on a trip of memories. The silence was like a replay button that reminded him closely of a certain person that he would never forget. The years spent together with his significant other.

Tears slowly flew out but Ming Yu was smiling and patted his heart to calm it down. 

It was his right to wallow in his painful feelings for a bit. For a short while.

The door slid open and a man vaguely familiar to him came with a nervous grin on his face. The grin faded when their eyes met. He was crying and yet still Ming Yu didn't rush, gently wiping his own tears away.

"Ah ... Ming Yu ge, Yu ge you're awake?"

Who? Ming Yu was sure that he wasn't too familiar with this person to call him Brother.

The stranger handed him a card and Ming Yu suddenly had a fierce struck of realization of what the entirety was all about.

Shen Liangxi

Administrator and Subject Overseer

M.E.M.O.R.Y Project

Even after he was struck, it still confused him as his brain was only half convinced of the truth. Ming Yu's senses in that world were not false. Nothing felt unreal. Nothing at all ...

Yet his heart thumped as if it was telling him that this was in fact, the whole truth.

Shen Liangxi was nervous because he did not know how Ming Yu was gonna take this in.

A big part of the entire experiment was to check if the realism projected was close to reality. To make it so every second spent inside M.E.M.O.R.Y was true.

Now awake, Shen Liangxi was afraid if Ming Yu were to think of it as being lied to, swindled even.

A sophisticated lie.

Who could've thought that the contracted author and his own brother were to fall into a pink rose scented pit called romance making everything complicated?

"Ah, Ming Y- Yu ge. You might not recognized me since we've only met a few times before the project started but in  M.E.M.O.R.Y, It's actually me. Admin? ... how are you feeling?"

Ming Yu quietly stared at him after his introduction. His sight moved from his face down to his toes, slowly digesting the new information that just came out of his mouth. Admin. That damned admin was a real person.

"You don't sound like him."

"Ah that ... well it's a, bit awkward talking to you like this in person." And besides, Ming Yu was staring at him blankly. It was unsettling.

Brother-in-law, please stop staring at me like that. I actually want to curse and freely express myself in front of you but knowing how my brother is right beside this room...

This dog doesn't have the courage to bark.

"I'll be explaining what have been happening on our side right now but if you feel unwell, we can do the talking tomorrow." Awkward as it is, this standstill, he did not want it.

"It's fine." Ming Yu wished to hear what he had to say. He did not want to be left alone.

Shen Liangxi misunderstood it as Ming Yu wanting to know the truth behind the person named Shen Xihan. Strangely though, Ming Yu didn't ask either and only bought up things that had to do with the project's advancement.

Too calm and collected. Shen Liangxi had not expect this.

Even after he explained everything Ming Yu kept his silence and asked nothing more leaving Shen Liangxi puzzled. 

Is he not gonna ask about Brother at all? Is he not wondering where he is? what's with him or just anything concerning his husband? why? why are you not asking? 

whyyyyyy nottttt  (ノOAO)ノ

He readied himself for it and even wrote a prepared answer in case this question was to be bought up yet Ming Yu himself was giving off a disinterested attitude about it. This ... didn't seem right?

"Admin.  Are you not leaving?"

"Eh? ah y-yeah. Don't you have any questions? Is that really all?" This Brother-in-law didn't conclude his brother as dead didn't he?

"Mmn."

"Ah, ok. Then see you tomorrow." Ge! you're dead! you're wife has built a tombstone for you! 

The author who's tired decided to close his eyes and get some sleep. Unbeknownst to Admin who lost the ability to read his mind, Ming Yu's thoughts weren't sad yet now filled with hopeful thoughts.

-

Weeks of check ups and constant rehabilitation passed before Ming Yu was permitted to leave in full health. He received a huge sum of money that could let him decently live lazily for a long while. 

He also now have a new place to live in since apparently, his old apartment was sold therefore he had long been kicked out. Although he has money now, his body had been idle for too long and to keep it moving he chose to work part time and easily found a Cafe nearby for work.

His days was similar to how it was before but not as stressful. He worked mostly only half a day's worth sometimes till the afternoon and afterwards he could go home and do what he wanted with the time he had left.

Having too much freedom was a first and Ming Yu still hadn't figured out of what to do in his spare time after work.

At some point Ming Yu decided to pick up cooking again, learning new recipes and bringing it to the Cafe for everyone to share. He also started drawing and watching dramas to keep himself entertained in his free time.

Yet no matter what he did. It didn't fill the hole in his heart.

One day after deciding that it was time to clean his apartment, Ming Yu stumbled on the manuscripts that was hid away which he got back from Admin.

Gently, Ming Yu opened the box and took them out one by one. He sat on the floor and leaned his back onto the wall and started reading not missing each word. It felt strange as this was a version of a story that he couldn't remember.

It took him the whole day to finish. Afterwards, he called his boss and told her that he won't be coming for work the next day.

Ming Yu left for the Shopping Mall to get himself a new laptop. He went straight home afterwards and turned it on to let everything run. It took a while but soon as he got in, Ming Yu opened the built in writing program in a hurry.

He was about to get busy for he had so much to write.

Leaving the opened carton box and papers strewn around him, Ming Yu smiled as he tapped on numerous sets of keys even as the sky went dark.

-

On a regular day at work there were two customers that caught Ming Yu's attention.

Actually it wasn't just Ming Yu but his co-workers also noticed the seemingly shady old pair that kept staring their way.

"Yu ge, those old couple kept staring at you. Are you sure you don't know them?" Rong Yi slightly leaned on him to whisper it onto his ear yet soon as she did, the middle aged woman fiercely glared at her like a tiger that was about to jump out to bite her.

"Yu ge, she's really scary! Can you go and take their order instead of me? please?!" She grabbed his sleeve, coaxing him to do so yet this only fueled the fire. The woman stood up from her seat but the man beside her pulled her down, forcing her to sit.

Ming Yu agreed to it but before he could walk up to them, the two started arguing and the old man forcefully dragged her out stunning everyone inside the Cafe.

There was a bag left on the seat. Ming Yu hurriedly grabbed it and quickly chased them.

"Excuse me!" The couple was entering the car so he shouted. Luckily they heard him and stopped. 

The old woman was already inside the car yet when she saw Ming Yu approaching, she pushed her husband out just when he was about to get in and walked up to him in high spirits.

" ... you forgot." Ming Yu managed to catch his breath quickly and handed it to her.

"Oh my! young man how kind of you! Thank you! How can this old woman repay you?" the middle aged woman's eyes curved into delightful crescents. Despite the bag being expensive, she threw it inside the car and grabbed Ming Yu's hand, not letting it go.

"Young man, do you have time to chat with this old madam? I really want to consult you about something!"

"Pah! Sly woman you better get inside the damn car and not be a bother to other people!" Father Shen watched how his woman lost all face trying to force the young man who's half her age to listen to her.

"Shut up! If you don't want to be part of this then just sit inside and wait!" 

"The park is nearby ..." Ming Yu didn't want them to argue and relented.

"Oh good! Let's go! Let's go! Young man how about you tell me bout yourself ..." (/*°▽°*)/ OMG so cute. ehehehe~ i'm happy!

"Hmph!" (╬'益') Father Shen decided to stay in the car.

Mother Shen didn't stop happily asking questions about him as they made their way onto a park bench.

"En. Xiaoyu, you're a really likable young man. If only I have a son like you aye ..." I really want to talk about marriage but I need to hold back ah!

"..." Ming Yu didn't comment when she said this.

Mother Shen looked at the sky and closed her eyes to feel the cool breeze hit her face.

"You see. I have an older son that i'm really proud of. But that older son of mine had been through a lot and closed his heart ... even though it must have been hard alone he still chose that path and never relied on us..."

"Often I would look at the mirror and wonder if I had been a good mother to him. I know that he was hurting a lot yet couldn't do anything to help him ..." Mother Shen's eyes drooped down to look at the ground, the disappointment lurking on the air.

"Ah! But you know! Recently that son of mine called us saying that he's in love with someone! Ahh when I heard that, it really made me happy and was about to rush out to meet the person at that exact moment!" Mother Shen's mood switched faster than a magazine page and even smiled widely at Ming Yu.

"-but that older son of mine aye ... I didn't know when he'd become such a wimp and told me that they aren't together yet. When I asked him if that person loves him back he replied that their love was mutual. If it is mutual then what's the problem?"

"But then I realized that although my son was brilliant he still had some painful wounds that made it difficult for him to do what he likes. His probably having dark stupid thoughts about himself, i'm his mother! No matter how much he tried hiding it of course I won't fail to notice it! I know that husband of mine is helping him hide things from me too!"

"Still when I think about the person that needed to wait because of my disappointing son ... i got worried if that person had the patience to do so ... i know that it's selfish for me to think this way but i'm just afraid that ... ah! I'm getting old ranting out like this. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to."

Mother Shen grabbed the phone out to his bag to call her husband to pick her up.

"Auntie. That person really do love him so he's sure to wait as long as he could. Don't worry about it." 

Mother Shen was surprised when she heard this before expressing a knowing grin. "So I guess I didn't need to worry after all?"

Ming Yu looked at her square in the eyes and gently smiled. " The person he likes can wait. It's okay."

Mother Shen hurriedly pushed the call button to hear his husband's voice. Their chat was short as the car quickly arrived and Mother Shen pulled Ming Yu for a tight hug before letting him go.

"Someday, come eat with us. Here's my number. Tell me what you like eating so I know what to cook when you come over." Flowers seemed to have hung itself on Mother's Shen's background.

"Mmn. I will. Auntie take care."

"Xiaoyu! Let's meet again soon okay!" 

"Woman! Get inside the damn car already!" Father Shen shouted from inside the car.

At this distance, Ming Yu could see Father Shen scowling at her but was easily suppressed by a hug from his loving wife.

Mother Shen waved her hand at him and when Ming Yu was out of her sight, tears started streaming down her face due to happiness.

It was without warning and it sent Father Shen to panic. He grabbed the box of tissues that he had always kept inside their car since his wife was prone to crying easily. Rather than grabbing the tissue in his hand, Mother Shen fell on his embrace letting her tears soak on his expensive suit.

"He's a good kid ah ... Shen Xihan found a good kid ... husband ... don't be too harsh on them ..."

Father Shen sighed and lovingly patted his wife's back. " I was never against them in the first place. As long as they're happy ..."

For the first time in a while, the old Shen couple didn't bite and argue, riding the car home in harmony.

-

How long has it been since? Ming Yu couldn't exactly remember the date anymore. He was never invited back after that and recently, Admin had been busy with research and rarely contacted him. He needed a break from writing too.

Work ended for the day and it was time to go home. Home alone, there really was nothing left for him to do so he went to the usual park nearby and sit by the lake. 

On a busy weekday like this, not everyone would have the chance to leave work at noon making the place quite desolate. Ducks idly swam through the lake and Ming Yu who was lost on where to put his eyes could only follow their trail.

He heard something rolling past him. Bikes usually pass through the park so this didn't disturb him at all and focused his eyes on the ducks. Time passed quickly in silence and as sundown was approaching, he decided that it was time to go back.

He patted his pants twice and turned back. A person on a wheelchair was facing him. The man wore a dark blue suit and had beautiful bouquet of roses on his lap.

Ming Yu froze ... so did the other person. None made a move as they took their time to observe the one before them.

Shen Xihan opened his mouth only to close them. He had a lot of things to say, to explain yet his voice didn't wish to come out, stuck in his throat so he gestured the bouquet in-front of him.

Ming Yu found the courage to walk and took it away from his hand without breaking eye contact ...

"I ... " I'm Shen Xihan. I'm real and i'm sorry I didn't look for you straight away.

Oh God how dumb would that sound.

"Ah  Yu I'm ..." I'm sorry. 

Sorry for what exactly? Shen Xihan was lost on what he needed to apologize for first.

While fumbling to find the right words to say, Ming Yu who found his calm after sorting things inside his head knelt down in-front of him. 

"What happened to it?" There was no pity in his tone and was rather neutral.

"An ... accident." Shen Xihan reflexively answered him back.

"What took you so long?" Ming Yu asked another question.

"I went to see the doctor ... i didn't want you to see me like this ..."

Ming Yu raised his head only to see Shen Xihan trying his best to hold in his tears. Ming Yu raised his hand to wipe the teardrop away yet this only served as a trigger that send Shen Xihan into a crying mess.

"I tried to see a doctor but I couldn't ... I tried my best but it wasn't enough." Shen Xihan held Ming Yu's hand that rested on his cheek and kissed it as he continued to cry.

"I'm sorry I didn't come see you right away but I really just didn't want you to see me like this. I'm not as strong as you think I am. I'm pathetic."

Ming Yu himself couldn't possibly not cry after seeing Shen Xihan like this. He didn't like what he was hearing and shut that hurtful mouth with a kiss. It wasn't one with lust but deep desperate yearning. When the two break away, Shen Xihan caressed Ming Yu's face, engraving this face in his memory.

"I'm sorry. Sorry ..." He continued to apologize. 

Ming Yu shook his head and smiled. " I'll be by your side from now on. Let's face it together ..."

"So don't go anywhere without me from now on .. understood?" Shen Xihan nodded his head and pulled Ming Yu for another long round of kissing.

Before a beautiful lake were two people sitting on the grass sticking close to each other. Their hands were interlocked while closely hugging each other, watching as the sun slowly went down in passing time.

Each time their eyes would meet, neither could resist in kissing the other's lips that would make them smile and snuggle closer.

The people place was beautiful. The afternoon breeze was wonderful. Feelings were warm and mutual and the people within the scene were deeply in love, a love that was beyond what words could describe.

Shen Liangxi who was a good distance away snapped a photo of their backs and sent it to the similarly old couple back home.

A man like him who's single, this image was warm and lonesome at the same time.

He didn't wish to disturb them so he decided to read a book. It was kinda embarrassing for him to read but since he's in it then he might as well swallow it down and do it, right?

One look at the title and Shen Liangxi barely hold in his laugh. It wasn't anything creative like A Road to Remember or Diary of Two Lovers, anything cringeworthy but was rather blunt and straight to the point. For readers, it might came of as catchy but for Shen Liangxi who knew the whole truth, his naughty self would smirk each time he saw this book on a store's shelf.

"You idiots are so blind ah ... you fools doesn't even think that all written in this was all real."

He didn't dare read the title out loud.

[I Picked Up A Husband While Trying To Be An Author] - END.

42