Chapter 13
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day began terribly. I was woken up by the sounds of people fighting and screaming. Powerful thumps that felt like small earthquakes. The screams by themselves managed to make me think of Day Zero. I sat up, scared and confused by all that. In seconds, I was already thinking that perhaps the assassins had found us and that if I looked outside, I would see a massacre.

When I got out of bed, I instantly got dizzy and almost fell down. It took some seconds to calm myself down and think of about a plan of attack. After my breath came back to normal, I summoned my power, to see if I was able to use it, without hurting myself in the process.

Surprisingly, even though my body was still weak and in recovery, my power was stronger than ever. Or maybe, it just felt like that due to my poor physical condition. My back was still badly injured and it was flaring out in pain, every so often. Be it as it may, it still made me feel more confident and less scared.

I carefully opened the door and stole a quick glance of the hall. Nothing there. The living room was empty as well, with all things in their place. Nothing seemed out of the picture.

Strange.

The noises were still coming from the backyard. I went downstairs and took a right, through a small hall, located between the stairways and the living room. It faced another room – another hall, or a waiting room? - with a back-exit door. I turned left and saw yet another large door. This house was like a maze.

I exited via the back door, quite tense and ready for a fight. My lightning surrounded me like a shield. I took a last deep breath and opened the door.

What I saw wasn’t exactly what I was expecting. It took me more than ten seconds to understand the scene playing out, in front of my eyes.

First things first, I had absolutely no idea that the backyard housed another building. Well, building is too generous a term. It was more like a demolished grand house, sitting almost halfway between the villa and the woods.

This place was enormous. It seems I still haven’t come to terms with that.

The second thing that caught my attention was not a thing, but a person. Andrea was fighting a guy, with shoulder-length brown hair. And when I said fight, I meant she seemed intent on killing him with…

…lava?!

She was surrounded by ditches and a hefty amount of lava. She was using it to relentlessly attacked the guy, who was, in turn, absorbing all of her power.

So, this was the fellow who was absorbing my power, that day I woke up in pain. Interesting. But even more interesting was Andrea’s power. What surprised me the most, were her eyes, during the fight: solid, black eyeballs. It looked like she was possessed and seeing that send a chill down my spine.

Out of nowhere, a loud bang sounded. Looking around, I noticed it came from three figures, standing some way from me. They didn’t look like someone I’d met. A girl, with a strong looking body and pink hair, caught my attention when she went running away from her opponents, by stepping on water. Water, which happened to just appear at a distance of a few centimeters from the ground.

She seemed to be very focused on her movement and I sensed a strong self-confidence emanating from her attitude. Every movement and attack she executed was precise, always reaching her target. I had to admit, I envied her a little. She looked young, but there was something about seeing her in action that made me think she might be older than she looks. Well, I guess I could put two and two together. I supposed she was Lauren.

When I was finally able to take my eyes off of the pink haired girl, my attention was drawn to her opponents. The same two guys from the forest. Those bastards. One of them stood still, watching her float on water, before she entered the demolished house.

“Second floor, center of the right room, the one with the big windows.”

He said that to the other guy, who just went on to hit the air with his fist, like they’ve done this a thousand times before. I didn’t know what to think, watching them, but I had to admit it was somewhat hilarious. In a pathetic way. My reaction lasted just until the house wall got smashed, making the girl run away from that room.

What? Did he…?

Huh.

“Matt, she’s heading for the woods. We need to follow her, otherwise it will be a lot more difficult for me to see her clearly.”

I see. Matt is the one who kept on hitting me, in the forest, until he managed to break my shoulder. And this other fellow, had been supplying him with informing about my position and location.

Really, really interesting. Matt’s crushed face, as a return favor from my side, would be even more interesting, though.

Behave. Behave.

Speaking of assholes, I saw Alexander. He was training with Andreas, who was surprisingly agile. The dexterity of his movements and his perfect balance on top of that, looked very impressive.

They were engaged in a tight, hand to hand combat. I was literally staring at a fight between two professionals. The speed and accuracy of their hits, their flexibility and strength. They’d managed to put on quite a show.

Even without taking his shield into consideration, it seemed that Andreas was also a good fighter, with a dexterity that could have only come about from long sessions of training. I sighed. My foxy friend got a smart, badass and distinguished guy and I couldn’t be happier for her.

Right?

Still, all of them were strong and they were hard at work to become stronger. I wanted to do the same. To practice and get powerful. To discover the real strength of my power and use it accordingly. The sparing sessions with Bill helped me, but these guys were at another level. A level I was planning on reaching too. I might even surpass them later on.

I left them to finish their training and headed to the majestic garden, I had visited before. It was just beautiful during the day, I was happy to notice.

The cherry trees welcomed me into this peaceful land and the floral scent calmed my thoughts, while my anxiety faded away, little by little. This garden was like a center of mindfulness and meditation.

Heaven.

On my way through the garden, I happened to see a skinny teenager, who was doing what appeared to be yoga, next to the waterfall, with both eyes opened. Odd. I stopped walking at once, warry of disturbing him. Yet, since I also didn’t want to leave, I thought it might be a good moment for me to meditate as well.

I sat down comfortably and quietly with my eyes closed. Relaxing my muscles, first in my feet, calves and thighs. I continued by shrugging my shoulders and rolling my head and neck around. For the first minute, I stood in a yoga position quietly, with my eyes closed and doing absolutely nothing other than breathe.

The thoughts were coming more easily now. I was aware of them and I let them leave me, with each and every exhalation. A gust of wind touched my face and shoulders, making me smile. It was refreshing. Harmonious.

During the meditation, everything seemed so insignificant, like I was the only vibration on the entire planet. Me, nature and the Universe. Thus, being in such a deep state of relaxation, I barely heard the rustle besides me.

I slowly opened my eyes, half asleep, noticing the teenager who was looking at me. He smiled shyly and I returned it back.

“Hi!” He said.

“Hi!”

“I’m sorry for interrupting you. I tried to be silent on my way back, but it didn’t work, apparently.”

“No, don’t worry. I was almost done, in any case.” I lied.

“I’m happy to see someone who has the patience to meditate properly. A rare sight.”

“I don’t believe meditation is about patience, as much as it’s about the urge to heal yourself.”

“Nicely put. Indeed, when you lose yourself and can’t find your way back, meditation can be one of the answers.”

“What are the other answers?”

“Accepting your flaws, being kind with yourself, having the will to change the negative charge of your thoughts and perhaps distancing yourself from the toxic people surrounding you. That and so many others.” He smiled.

“Great answers.” I said. “I’m Mia.”

“Hi Mia. I’m Turtle. Nice to meet you.”

He sat next to me and we shook hands.

“Turtle? You are so different from what I had imagined, so far.”

“I suppose Andrea told you about me, if you already had a picture of me in your head?”

“Yes. Though, she told me about a guy named Turtle, nothing more. Actually, the only person she talked to me about is Lauren.”

“Oh, yes. Lauren.” He said thoughtfully. “What kind of person did you imagine I was?”

“Well… in my defense, Turtle seemed more like the name of a guy who’s lazy and eats junk-food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Dressed like a hobo, into gadgets and stuff… And fat. I thought you’re fat.”

“Oh my God!” He laughed. “I’m both vexed and amused by your imagination.”

I shrugged.

“How long have you been here for?” I asked.

“I don’t know precisely, but right after Day Zero. Alex found me.”

“How?”

“I’m an orphan. After the incident, I lived on the streets. But I didn’t feel alone, since everybody was, literally, living on the streets. The difference was, of course, that they had each other.”

“Didn’t you have any friends at the orphanage?”

“I did. I had a couple of friends, but they died.”

“Oh… I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. This is what life is, sometimes.”

“Sometimes, life sucks and too many things aren’t fair. If this is life…”

“Don’t hold grudges on things and people that have hurt you. Everything is about balance and lessons.”

“Aha. Have you always been like this? All… optimistic and peaceful?”

“No. Quite the opposite, in fact. I was anxious and furious on everyone and everything. I was blaming God, my friends, strangers… everyone really. Blaming them for being abandoned and constrained to live a miserable life.”

“It’s hard to imagine. What changed? Wait. Is your power to be calm and… I don’t know, Buddha?”

He laughed.

“No, it’s not. Thought that would be funny, if it were true.”

“Among other things.”

“Yeah, I’ve heard. But let me answer your question. The change occurred when Alex found me. He helped me and stood by my side, until I was able to live in harmony with myself.”

“Ugh, this guy again.” I rolled my eyes.

“That’s interesting. Everybody liked Alexander from the start. What’s your story?”

“It’s a long one. But tell me, how exactly did he find you? Let me guess. Invading the privacy of your thoughts and sending vague messages that made you think you’re insane?”

That, I sense to be your story. However, it is not mine.” He grinned.

Smart kid.

“Carry on.”

“I was on an abandoned alley, when a pack of dogs surrounded me. Perhaps they were hungry, since they seemed ready to eat me alive. It was dark and nobody was around to help me. One of the dogs attacked me and bit my leg. It… hurt quite a bit. I managed to punch him in the head and it fell down, unconscious.”

“Another two attacked me, trying to bite at my arms and legs. I was desperate and suddenly, they were set aside by an invisible shield. What I didn’t know, at that time, was that the shield, which was more like a shell really, made me invisible as well.”

“Invisible? How?”

“Invisible. My power is to create a strong and large shell, that makes everyone who stands inside it, invisible. You see, these houses, along with the land surrounding them, are not visible to people outside my shield. Only we can see it.”

I was stunned.

“Nobody can see us?!”

“Only if I want them to. And so far, I saw no reason to let them.”

“Then, what do they see?”

“Nothing. An empty land.”

“But what if someone tried to step through your shell?”

“That someone would be stopped. No one can come here, without my permission.”

“How about getting out?”

“Oh, you can get out whenever you want.”

That was interesting.

“Because you allow it. Correct?”

“Correct. Though, to be specific, this is actually what Alex wants. But I got the meaning of your statement.”

“Wow. You have a great power. But tell me, how exactly did Alexander find you? It seems like you saved yourself, not him.”

“No, it was him who saved me. As I mentioned, I knew nothing about my power. I was invisible and he was passing by and stopped, when he saw the pack of dogs. It seemed strange to him, to see some dogs, standing in a circle, barking furiously at an empty place. Alex made all the dogs go to sleep and came near me. He touched my shell and instantly knew that I was there. Then, he stayed and talked to me, until I managed to calm down enough for my shell to disappear.”

“I see. I’m glad he found you.”

“I as well. It was hard to trust him and the others, at first, but they were kind and supportive. Alex helped me better understand my power. He helped me evolve. He educated me and eventually, I became what you now see before you. I couldn’t be happier.” He laughed then. “I do, however, remember him forcing me to do an almost infinite number of blood tests, at different private clinics. He’s overprotective, I’ll give you that.”

“I’m happy for you. Honestly. It’s seems like you took an important step into your consciousness and it made you more mature than I am, most likely.” I laughed sourly.

“You’re mature. But also, furious and you carry that fury like an anchor around your ankle.”

“So much wisdom, master.” I laughed. “How old are you, anyway?”

“I’m 20.”

“20?! I could have sworn you’re 16. Hah. This world is insane.”

“And worth it.”

I laughed in disbelief.

“They’ve almost finished training. In half an hour, I think we’ll be getting called for lunch, so I have to leave you, for now. But I’ll see you in the dining room, alright?”

“Oh… I don’t know, yet. But see you around, anyway.”

“It was a pleasure, Mia. Take care of yourself.”

“Namaste.”

He smiled and left.

I stayed there a little longer, thinking about Turtle and his way of living. It must be wonderful, being as mentally strong as he was, capable of so much self-control and calmness in such amount short time. Who knows? Perhaps someday I’ll be capable to be just as he is now.

Yeah. Sure.

I spotted someone heading toward me and felt my pulse quicken, but I didn’t turn around to see who it was.

“Hi there! Would you like to have lunch with us?” Andrea asked.

“Hi! You were wonderful back there, you know? Ferocious and volcanic.” I faked a dangerous expression.

“Ha-ha! You saw me. Yes, well, I like hot stuff, what can I do?” She winked and started to giggle.

“Yes, I’ve noticed.”

“So, are you joining us?”

“No, thanks. I’m not really hungry.”

“Yes, you are. It’s ok though, I’ll bring something to your room, later.”

“Thank you…”

“Don’t mention it. I want you to feel at home, here. By the way, when you’re feeling ready, you might want to officially meet the rest of us.”

“Actually, I’ve just met Turtle. I like him.”

“Really? I’m so happy you liked him! Yeah, he’s a really good guy. Wise and strong.”

“Yes. And funny, spiritual. He’s… colorful.”

“Ooh, look at that! So, you do like people. I was starting to wonder. And you can also do compliments? Who knew?” She nudged me with her elbow.

“Of course. I’m not monster.” I half-complained.

“Yeah, I don’t know what to say about that.” She said laughing.

“Ha-ha! Andrea Petersen, ladies and gents.”

“Oh, c’mon.”

“Stop talking and let’s go. You need to eat and take a shower. A long shower.”

We got up and lazily started to make our way inside.

“Shut up. I can’t wait to see you training. Then, we’ll talk.”

“Hm… train, here, with you all?”

“Well, yes. Though, only after you get better, of course.”

“Maybe…”

“Have you thought about what we discussed a few days ago?”

“Staying here, forever? I don’t know, Andrea. I don’t feel like I belong here, you know… I miss my friends and I think my place is right there. With them.”

“I understand and I don’t want to come off as nagging about this, but actually, you do belong here, Mia. You have no idea how much.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean… you being here, Alex searching for you when you were being hunted… All of that can’t be just a coincidence. I think you and my brother are-”

“Andrea!” Alexander said, out of the blue.

We looked to the right and stopped, near the house, waiting for him. I wanted to keep going, but I was curious about what happened to upset Mr. Bossy, this time.

“Andreas was looking for you. He’s still outside, in the backyard. I think you should go to him.”

Andrea rolled her eyes, but nodded.

“Mia, I’ll bring you the food after I check in on Andreas.” She said and left.

I was looking disapprovingly at him, with my arms crossed across my chest.

“Can I help you?” He asked.

“No, you did too much of that already.” I said, faking a smile.

“Always happy to be of service.” He replied, before entering the house.

Ugh! He was so annoying. Too annoying. Arrogant.

Why didn’t he enter by the back entrance, anyway? Was he following us or what?

Asshole.

I went to my room and waited, until Andrea brought me lunch. I was starving, but I did my best to act like a lady and didn’t throw myself over the food, even if I was drooling. Literally.

“Thank you again, Andrea!”

“My pleasure, sweetie. I hope you like what our cook prepared for today.”

“You have a cook?”

“Yes. We don’t have the skills, not to mention time, to cook for so many people.”

“Ok. Seems legit.”

What else did they have? Personal chauffer, masseuse, a maid?

“Alright, then. I’ll go to take a shower. Enjoy your lunch and I’m sorry I can’t stay with you.”

“Don’t worry. See you later.”

She gave me a quick peck on the cheek and left.

I was heading to the table, when someone knocked on my door. I looked on with regret at my food and went to open it.

What I saw, made me lose my appetite.

“Can we talk?” Alexander asked.

1