Chapter 15
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

By the next day, I was already feeling better. The backpain softened a little and I felt my mood improve when I looked from my balcony and saw how sunny and beautiful it was outside. I haven’t felt like that since before Day Zero. It’s strange how much a purpose, a scope, could change your life. I had a strong reason to live for and it was that which kept me focused. Hopefully, I would be ready to meet the day. And the next ones.

I carefully took a shower, brushed my teeth and combed my hair. I put on a long and wide red dress, deciding to take a walk in the garden, in order to meditate.

My hand was on the doorknob, inhaling and exhaling, getting ready to meet whoever the Universe would send my way.

And burn them like a steak.

No. No, no. Stick with the plan, Mia. Behave.

I just realized that the word ‘behave’ was on its way to becoming my mantra. I rolled my eyes and left the room.

The hallway was empty and so was the living room. Maybe they were training again, but I didn’t hear noises, only a grave silence. Odd. I had to admit that my heart was starting to beat a little faster than normally, due to all that silence. Or, perhaps, I was just afraid of meeting one of them.

I stood in the living room for a minute or so, inspecting the place, when a noise made me startle.

It was my stomach. Seriously?! I giggled at myself and started to search for the kitchen.

I headed to on to the mini-room, that was placed on the top of the smaller hallway and took a glance outside, as I did yesterday when I saw them training. No signs of human activity.

Huh.

Turning around, I saw a big door, the one I’ve already noticed yesterday. It was positioned on the left, next to the hallway. Looking at the next wall, I saw an enormous entrance with moving glass doors. Through the glass, I glimpsed a large dining room.

I silently checked the small door, hoping it would lead to the kitchen. Which it did, fortunately. Of course, I spent another minute, just staring at the big room. It had a dark wood island, in the center of it, with rounded ends and a white, wooden floor. There were also multiple cabinets, all in white.

Ok. Looks pretentious, but what do I know.

I opened the fridge and, as expected, a large amount of food was carefully compartmentalized inside. I took a yoghurt and a chocolate bar, found a spoon and headed to the garden, through the back entrance, when a sudden movement caught my attention.

I thought I saw someone who had just disappeared from view, going around the building that stood there, heading into the forest. Maybe I was hallucinating. But even so, something was pulling me in that direction, so I headed on over there.

Curiosity killed the cat, Mia.

“Hi there!”

I was so focused on my ‘mission’ that I let out a scared yelp when Lauren appeared from behind my back, dropping the things I was holding.

“Are you ok? Sorry if I scared you.” She said.

“No, I’m ok. I was just… lost in thought.”

“Were you on the way to the forest?”

“Yes. No. I was actually analyzing the building, trying to picture how it looked before becoming a ruin.” I lied.

“It has an interesting story, actually. A sad one too.”

“Sad? Why?”

“I don’t know if it’s ok to tell you the story. It’s not mine to tell…”

“Oh, c’mon. Someone around here has to tell me something. Please. I’m dying for details.” I complained in frustration.

She turned to me and laughed in surprise.

“What do you mean?”

“All of you are so… secretive. If that guy wants me here, maybe he should consider giving me more information about… this house, for example. About your intentions, scope… favorite meal, I don’t know, anything. Otherwise, I will literally lose my mind.”

“That guy?” She said, confused. “Oh, you’re talking about Alex?”

I nodded.

“Well, first of all, the story isn’t a secret, per se. It’s just part of Alex’s personal life. But I understand how you feel, so I’ll tell it to you. But you didn’t hear it from me, understood?”

“Yup. Promise.”

“Ok. That house was actually a hospital, for children suffering from cancer, built by Alex.”

“What?” I said in shock.

Not what I expected.

“Yeah… everything started when he accepted a project, in a city called Sanvia. He went there, with Andreas, and after every working day, he used to wonder the city, all by himself. He started with the poorer neighborhoods.”

“Why the poor neighborhoods?”

“To where it would be best to invest money. Better schools, decent clinics, more pharmacies and so on.”

“What did he get from that?”

“Nothing.” She laughed. “He was just doing that kinds of thing, that’s all.”

“I’m not buying it. Who told you that? Himself?”

“No, Andrea did. Now, let me finish and then you can jump to conclusions, alright?”

“Mhm. Ok.”

“One night, he heard some dogs barking violently and a boy screaming in fear. Apparently, the boy was an eleven-year-old orphan. Alex got rid of the dogs and took the boy, Tomi, to his hotel room. He fed him, bought him clothes and pretty much ‘adopted’ him.”

“Wait, what do you mean ‘adopted’ him?”

“Meaning that Alex brought the boy here and took care of him. He became attached to the child. According to Andrea, Tomi was a smart kid, full of life and looked like he had a big potential. They were always together, talking about all kinds of things, playing football and so on.”

I was… amazed? I didn’t know what to think. Or perhaps it is better said that I wasn’t thinking anymore, so absorbed by the story as I was.

“That all lasted until one day, when he got a call from school, informing Alex that Tomi was taken to the hospital. And there they found out that…”

“Tomi had cancer.”

“Yes. Alex did take Tomi to the hospital after he found him, had the doctors give him a general check, but everything was alright then. The boy was healthy.”

“How could that happen? It’s not normal. Cancer is not like a random flu, to appear overnight. They should have spotted it.”

“Yes, they should have. Alex knew that as well, but nobody could really explain it. He was… devastated. Tomi’s body rejected all form of treatments and eventually he… died. At home. In Alex’s room.”

Lauren looked away, hiding the expression on her face.

“After Tomi’s death, he built that hospital. Unfortunately, it didn’t have the chance to be of use. Because of Day Zero.” She said with a frown. “Now it’s just a ruin, which sometimes doubles as a training place for us.”

So that’s why he saved Turtle. At least, I figure it was one of the reasons. Being obsessed with Turtle’s blood tests, giving him an education. It made sense. I realized I wanted this story to be true. Because… if this was a lie, then these guys were some seriously sick and disgusting human beings.

Something was bothering me, but I couldn’t put my finger on it. Something about the tone of the story. Why did it matter to me so much? Why this story, from all of them?

“Mia, I’m sorry if I saddened you. It wasn’t my intention. Actually, I kind of hoping for our first conversation to be happier. Ah, friendly.” She grinned in apology.

“Don’t worry, I’m not sad. But it is a sad story, indeed.”

“Yeah. Anyway, let me make up for it. What do you say if I’ll go grab a yoghurt too and take a walk in the garden with you? I’ll tell you happier stories, I promise.”

She was being very nice, which got me somewhat suspicious, but it was the perfect time to find out more information about… well, anything.

“Ok, why not? I’ll wait for you in the garden.”

“Great. I’ll be back in two minutes.”

When I neared the place I stood with the A couple at, I saw Turtle. He was kneeling in front of the waterfall, massaging his temples. I couldn’t tell if that was another way of meditating or he just wasn’t feeling that well, so I didn’t bother him.

I sat on the bench, seeing Lauren approaching. Suddenly, she stopped, taking a careful look at Turtle. He turned around and staggered.

“Lauren.”

“Hi. Are you ok?”

“Oh. Yes. The temperature is just a little too high for me, nothing serious.”

“I see.” She said, peering at him with a gaze I can only describe as ‘intense’.

He looked back at her as well, standing like he wanted to say something, but couldn’t. The entire scene was uncomfortable to watch, but I was curious to see what happened next.

Mia, you nosy imp.

When I finally decided to turn around and give them some privacy, Lauren left Turtle without another word and sat in front of me. Well, that was a freaking heartless move. Can’t say I liked that.

“Goodbye, girls. Enjoy your day.” He said, smilingly.

“Bye, Turtle. Take care of yourself, ok?” I said.

“Of course, and you as well.”

And then he left.

I tried to calm down a little and think objectively about the whole situation. Maybe they had a feud or something. But it was hard to imagine Turtle offending Lauren.

*Trust no one, Mia.*

Hmm.

“Are you ok?” I cautiously asked.

“Yes, of course. Why wouldn’t I be?”

She appeared to be so confident and in control of her emotions, that I almost believed her.

Almost.

“It felt like Turtle upset you, but I probably misunderstood, since I don’t see him harming a fly.” I told her, trying to provoke a reaction.

She snorted in disbelief.

“How could he? He is a saint, after all.” She said mockingly.

Aha! Something did happen between the two of them. I was now trying to find out what. It was important for me to know if Turtle was indeed the gentle guy I wanted – needed ­– him to be.

“Please, there are no saints in this world. Sure, there are still good people, but even among them, some were evil assholes before. Bad enough they became aware of it and went on to ‘repent’ so that they didn’t feel as guilty about the scars they left on others. I could swear that might be Turtle’s story too. But you’re too kind.” I said, an angelic look crossing my face.

“Well said! Indeed, that is what happens to people in general. Including Turtle. Including myself…”

“Hey, who am I to judge? A few days ago, I found I took great pleasure in killing Selena. Don’t sweat about it. I understand.”

“Oh My God! I almost forgot about that. Yes, you almost killed Selena! Uhm… can I ask why?”

“Let’s say that I don’t much appreciate to be forcefully interrupted when I’m busy saving my friends’ lives, from the men who were actually there for me.”

“Ok. That’s… kind of… vague? Even if I understand the reason…ish.” She said, tone letting me know that she was in a complete state of confusion.

“Your boss sent her after me. She wanted to have a chit-chat, I said I’m not interested, she insisted and I insisted in return… Only, I ‘insisted’ by smashing her into a tree.”

She was staring at me like I was an alien.

“Oh… just like that?”

“Yes.”

She kept staring and staring and…

“Mia…”

“Lauren.”

“You’re crazy!” she said, and suddenly started to laugh.

“From time to time.” I replied. “But I didn’t expect you to react like this.”

“Like what? Losing my words?”

“No, laughing. I was expecting you to be mad, since Selena is part of your team. You know, girl power and all that.”

“Ah, that.” She smiled eagerly.

I knew, in that moment, that Lauren figured out what my scope was, but she answered anyway.

“She’s ok and yes, I don’t like what you did to her. But ever since the beginning, we had a silent pact, in which we agreed that we are all powerful enough to take care of ourselves.”

“Ok… so you don’t stand up for each other?”

“Oh, we do. But sometimes, we need to fight our demons by ourselves. And Selena’s feelings on this matter are the actual fight she has to win on her own.”

…we need to fight our demons…

Wait. Feelings?

“Selena’s feelings? About me, being here? Or about Alexander, keeping me here?”

She winced a little, but I noticed the twinkle in her eyes. I was getting close, but I did a mistake. If I would have asked only one question at a time, I could have known to which she reacted like she did.

And I knew that she wouldn’t be saying anything more than what she already did. Damn! I was being too obvious.

I had to save the conversation and decided to change the subject myself.

“Anyway, you said something about a painting of Andrea and I. Is that still on the table?”

She suddenly got excited and clapped her hands.

“Of course! OMG, are you serious about it? I would love to paint you two! We can do it anytime. Now, if you want.”

I was surprised by her enthusiasm, but it made me feel better, since she clearly didn’t seem all that bothered by my earlier ‘examination’.

“I think we need to talk to Andrea, before making a decision. But for me, tomorrow is ok.”

“Perfect! Andrea will be so excited! I have no doubt about it.”

She couldn’t stop herself from smiling and clapping. So much excitement. I analyzed her and realized she was cute. She had green eyes, short pink hair and an air of… I couldn’t say. She let me the impression of a sophisticated girl, who grew up in a huge mansion, surrounded by educated maids and the most expensive and intelligent teachers’ money could buy. She had tact, but also a stubborn streak in her, that probably made her fight for what she loved.

Yeah, I know, I’ve watched too many movies.

After we finished ‘breakfast’, we sat a little longer and talked about the weather, the fact that we both love the seaside and watermelon. Small talk.

I didn’t want to ask any other questions about her team, since I didn’t want to make her any more suspicious than I already did. So, I did my best to keep the conversation on a low level, chatting about random stuff.

After she left, I meditated for a while, being proud of the behavior I had around Lauren. I still needed to work on my strategies on finding information, but I was making progress.

I always hated these games. Play it cool, pretend to be someone you’re not, pretend to like something or someone you don’t like, only to ferret out a piece of information that should have been known from the beginning.

Transparency.

But, if this is how he wanted it to be, so be it. I’ll do what he does, and I’ll be what he is. An arrogant, lying motherfucker. Even if it disgusted me.

Ugh.

I was headed to the kitchen to grab an apple. Or just any other fruit. Maybe they had watermelon? Fingers crossed.

They didn’t have what I wanted, but I did find a bowl of cherries and some nectarines. While I was trying to decide what to eat, someone suddenly stormed into the kitchen so loudly, that I almost dropped the bowl in surprise. What’s wrong with these people?!

When I turned around to see who it was, I froze.

Selena.

She seemed as surprised as I was, and I don’t think any one of us was breathing anymore.

Now what?

I expected her to attack me and vice versa. It didn’t happen, unfortunately.

Behave. Behave.

Breath in – breath out.

Even if the rage inside of me was growing, little by little, I couldn’t help but notice she was all sweaty and pale. Shaking and breathing heavily. She trained too much, probably.

I took the cherries and focused on my steps when I left. She tried not to look at me, when I passed her by, I could see that. But she couldn’t help herself and gave me the coldest, sharpest look she did so far. I smiled menacingly at her, releasing a small current of electricity right next to her ear. The sound it made startled her and I saw her clenching her jaw.

That’s right, you idiot.

She should thank me for not killing her. Maybe it could become the second goal of my mission. “Kill the bitch. Eat ice-cream. Relax.”

Interesting.

*You’re turning into a psycho, Mia.* my rational voice said.

Yeah, but this is probably what it takes to become a survivor and save your family.

*This way is not the only way. Try different approaches, even if it’s harder. You chose this way, because it’s the easiest. *

Easiest?! I’m dying here!

No. No. No.

I was fighting with myself. This wasn’t good. I was definitely losing my mind.

Breath in – breath out.

Breath in – breath out.

Breath in – breath out.

Much better. I opened my eyes and I was standing in front of the demolished house, with the bowl of cherries in my hands. All of a sudden, the same strange feeling I had, after Lauren finished her story, appeared and gripped at my heartstrings once more.

Why? Why was this happening?

Because. Tomi. And Alexander. I was trying to imagine Alexander as a father, but it was borderline impossible. What kind of person was he before Day Zero? Was anything good left, from the man he used to be? How did he handle Tomi’s death and how many sleepless nights did he have? Maybe this is why he became a merciless, cold bastard. It must be horrible to sleep in the same room your ‘child’ died. And he did it every night. How can he still live there?

*And, most importantly, why do you care so much?*

I shuddered.

I don’t! But I need answers, before carrying on with my plan.

Geez!

I was getting anxious and all I wanted was to talk with Allaya. I hopped they were safe and sound. I missed them. I was even missing Ria, with that cold look in her eyes and the teasing we used to have from time to time.

I’ll find them. Someday, somehow, I will.

The cherries no longer seemed appetizing to me and I stood there, not knowing what to do next, or who the hell I even was, anymore. I felt lost and lifeless, despite the fact that the beginning of this day was the best one I had, since coming here.

I felt at my back, touching the bandages covering my right side, from top to bottom. A big and ugly scar, which will remind me forever of the worst moment in my life. A memento. A stigma.

Suddenly, it felt like I was being watched from behind and couldn’t turn to see who it was. Because I kind of already guessed – knew – who it was standing there, observing me.

“Mia?”

“Yes.” I said.

“I hope that one day, you will be able to forgive me, for causing you that pain.”

That pain? I didn’t know what pain he was referring to, but I heard myself saying something that surprised me.

“And I hope that one day, you will be able to forgive yourself for all the pain you’ve caused to others. And to yourself.”

I didn’t expect an answer. And didn’t receive one.

He stayed for a few seconds longer, before leaving.

I knew it was the right thing to say, even if it the reason was still unclear to me.

I didn’t know how I got back to my room, but something strange happened out there. My hands were shaking and all I could think about was the meaning of his words.

But what about mine?

1