Chapter 2
1k 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Upon returning to her isolated room, Luka gently dropped herself onto the edge of the bed. It was during this time that she had yet to bear a child. Lifting both of her hands, she pondered in deep thought. Trying to focus her energy, she came to the conclusion that there was no such thing as mana, or magic, in this life of hers.  

In her second life, though she was an orphan, she was picked up by a mage who lived deep within the mountains. In that world, magic existed, and under that mage’s guidance, Luka was able to cultivate mana and transform it into magic. When the mage passed on, Luka inherited all of his teachings and became the one people called Empress of the Mountains. In the mountains, her rule was absolute and she had a legion of magical beasts that were under her command. But because of the mage’s teachings, she remained compassionate, benevolent, cheerful, but at the same time, knew when to draw the line between what was acceptable within her principles.  

Though there was no such thing as mana or magic in this world, Luka was certain that she could sense her life force was much stronger than it was before. In her second life she had a much bigger physical body, but in this life, because her body was a lot smaller, her movements were a lot more fluid, flexible and faster. Confirming her doubts that she perhaps brought her life force and energy from her second life over into this one, Luka began assessing her situation. 

In three days, Daniel will invite her to participate in one of his sick games to entertain his close friends, and after the game has ended, that is when Luka will find out that Lillian has also entered into the palace.   

Dressed in her oversized, off-white satin robe, her long, luscious hair was all gathered to one side, toppling over her left shoulder as she sat, pondering. Suddenly, the tall majestic doors to her lonely room opened and a string of maids walked into the room, six to be exact. But before Luka could even start to assess her situation, she needed to figure out who were loyal to her – and immediately, Luka knew all six were not. Luka’s eyes narrowed in contempt as she languidly leaned back into a slouching position.  

One of the maids poured tea into a cup and brought it over to Luka. Taking the cup, Luka looked at the tea with an indifferent expression. Lightly taking a sip, her brows slightly twitch. 

*trickle, trickle, trickle, splatter, splatter* 

The sound of pouring water caused all the maids to look up to the person who sat upon the round bed. With legs crossed peering out of her robe and one arm supporting her, she gracefully tipped her cup of tea as it spilt onto the marbled floor with crisps sounds that echoed through the room.  

“My lady?! What are you doing?” the maid who poured the tea, Layla, questioned with a harsh tone. 

With the indifferent expression looking at the split tea, Luka languidly replied, “Is this how you treat your Queen?” Slowly blinking, she blinked her thick lashes as she looked over to Layla. “Cold tea?” 

Layla lightly scoffed as she bowed her head, “Forgive my negligence.” 

Luka lifted a brow and shifted her position so that one elbow rested on her knee, supporting her chin. “Come forward, Layla.” 

With a rather annoyed expression, Layla did as she was told. 

“Yes?” Out of the blue, Layla felt a piercing pain hit her stomach with the sound of shattering porcelain following. Layla cradled her stomach as she fell to her knees.  

Though it was just a porcelain tea cup that hit her stomach, it packed an unimaginable immense force of power that caused her to hurl over and gasp for air. It was as if she had been punched by someone. The other maids all shrieked out in shock.  

Looking up to meet a pair of cold eyes that was a bottomless abyss, reflecting nothing but emptiness, Layla felt a chill run down her spine as she continued gasping for breath. 

“This... is where our eyes meet,” Luka’s clear and melodious voice sounded through the hollow room.  

Sensing the menacing aura exuding from Luka, all the other maids got down on their knees as well. “Please have mercy, my lady!” they all said in unison. 

“Mercy?” a trace of ridicule could be heard in Luka’s voice. “What have you all done to deserve such a thing?” Her voice placed an invisible weight upon their shoulder as they all began to break in cold sweat. 

Thinking back to their previous actions for the last four years, they have never truly tended to her as if she was their Queen. The first year under her, they may have treated her good, but as the other three years flew by, that attentiveness faded. They only did minimal work as it was their current king, Daniel, that allowed them to slack off. Their loyalties lied with Daniel, as well as their bodies – yes, Daniel has slept will all six of them at least once. 

“And who are you calling ‘Lady’? I am the Queen. Am I wrong?” Luka asked in a soft voice and calm voice.  

One of the other maids, Susan, snapped. “You are no Queen! Everyone in the palace knows that even King Daniel does not see you as such! You have no title as Queen of Deus! It is all just a front! You-!” 

Before Susan could even continue, her face snapped to the right side. Seconds later, her left cheek began to sting. What happened? It all happened so quickly that it took Susan a moment to process that she had just been slapped across the face. Slapped so hard that Luka’s handprint was forming on her skin, and Susan was certain she heard a *crack* sound.  

Gripping Susan’s cheeks with an unfathomable force, Luka mercilessly turned her back to face her, “You dare to repeat that?” 

Luka looked down at Susan with a condescending look but still held grace within her expression, one worthy of being deemed noble. The icy look made Susan shiver. “D-Don’t think you’ll get away with beating your maids! King Daniel will not allow it!” 

“Do you think I’m scared of Daniel? Do you think he’ll actually believe you all that I, Luka Haines, who has always been known for being timid actually raised a hand against my maids? Why? Because you all slept with him? Don’t flatter yourselves. You aren’t the only women he has slept with. 

After all, you are only just maids. While I, even if it is just a front, am Queen of Deus. How can you low-class beings even compare to that of a Queen? Oh~, don’t tell me, you are also saying that you have more power than the king himself? How hubris of you,” Luka smiled gently.  

Though it was a gentle smile, it raised fear in the maids’ hearts. The Luka today for some reason seems very different from the Luka they have tended to for the last four years. But why? The Luka right now had such an imposing aura, nothing like the timid, push-over Luka in the past. Could this be a result of her father’s death? That was only viable reason for this change. But the change was too drastic!!  

Tightening her grip on Susan’s jaws, Susan began struggling and whining in fear as she tried to escape Luka’s grasps, but to her surprise, despite Luka’s petite and slim figure, she was unable to break free, causing all sorts of red flags to go off in her head. It was as if Luka was a beast, and she, a feeble prey, shivering in fear as it can only await to be devoured completely.  

Bored with Susan’s futile struggles, Luka flung her aside, sweeping her gaze over Susan as if she was not there. “Clean up that mess. You are all dismissed for today.” 

Without delay, the maids cleaned the broken cup and split tea and scurried out of her room and closed the doors. Luka was certain this was going to be reported to Daniel however, she didn’t care. She wasn’t planning of faking or hiding anyways.  

=== 

Ambiguous groans escaped Daniel’s sleeping quarters, however, that did not stop the maids from knocking and entering. 

“My king!” Layla and Susan cried. 

Finishing his last spurt, he groaned out in ecstasy before pulling out of the woman who enjoyed every second of it, Lillian. “What is it?” his husky and low magnetic voice questioned. 

“It’s Lady Luka! She-! She-! She slapped me!” Susan ran over to the bed and kneeled beside the bed as she gingerly touched her stinging left cheek.  

“Luka did what?” Daniel brushed his sweat soaked golden hair back as he looked over to the pitiful maid kneeling on the floor in disbelief. “Luka slapped you?” 

Susan nodded her head pitifully with teary eyes, hoping to get his empathy.  

“There’s no way she’d slap you. I’ve known her for years. She isn’t one to use violence. Moreover, she has no combatant skills whatsoever,” said Daniel as she shifted himself so that he was sitting on the edge of the bed.  

Behind him, Lillian crawled up on him, kissing his bare skin with her pouty lips, making a trail from his lower back up to his neck, turning him on once again. 

“But she did! She even threw a teacup at Layla!” Susan exclaimed. 

Examining the palm imprint on Susan’s cheek, though it was swelling, Daniel could clearly make out the shape of the hand print, it indeed belonged to someone with rather small hands. 

“I’ll look into it. For the time being, just put up with her. You both know how much hopes I have placed in you both to break her spirit, right?” said Daniel. 

Both maids blushed and answered in unison. 

“How devilish of you~,” Lillian’s sweet voice whispered into his ear. 

“You both can leave,” Daniel ordered and the two left the room. 

“Say, do you really think it was Luka who did that? I doubt it. She is just a simple push-over. There’s no way she’d actually hit someone. Take it from someone who knew her since we were children,” Lillian snickered coquettishly as she continued planting kisses on him. 

“That’s true. But who would have slapped her then? I’ve only assigned them to Luka; no one else.” 

“Who knows~? Maybe it’s just to get your attention. After all, you know that every woman desires you,” Lillian smiled.  

Flipping Lillian onto her back, Daniel gave her a charming smile as he leaned in, capturing her lips. 

=== 

Though that was their intention, Luka made it a living hell for all six maids, oppressing them to all means. Punishing them every time they slacked off or made a mistake, pushing them to the edge. Luka wanted to test to see which maids were going to last until the end despite her acts. And her methods of punishments were not light; broken bones, swelling bruises, cuts from knives, any pain imaginable that not even Daniel has ever given them.  

When all of this began circulating for the next three days inside the main palace, disbelief was what filled everyone’s hearts. Everyone knew Luka was naïve and a simple girl – not capable of harming anyone. Even though the maids were seen with such injuries, every one believed they inflicted those upon themselves to grab Daniel’s attention. After all, everyone knew that all of the palace maids have at least once, slept with Daniel.  

Hearing the knock on the door, Luka allowed whoever it was at the door to enter. 

When a middle-aged man opened the door, he was greeted with the sight of Luka eating an exquisite fruit as juices dripped down from her lips and down her arms. Luka recognized the man right away. It was the head butler of all the servants of the royal family, Nick June. 

“Oh~, Head butler June. What pleasures do I owe to have you personally pay me a visit?” Luka licked one of her fingers, not caring for her appearance. 

Despite the unrestrained appearance, her actions and manners still held elegance. Nick had to clear his throat before speaking. “Um, my maids that were assigned to you, seems like they were not to your liking. But please, restrain from damaging them too much. This is the only job they have.” 

“Is that so? Well, they can always go to the red-district for a job, considering that they’ve slept with my husband. And do you really think I’m capable of such actions?” 

“Please don’t tease them too much,” Nick bowed his head. 

“Since you’re here, I’m assuming they don’t want to serve me anymore?” Luka’s voice sounded, making it hard to decipher if there were any hidden emotions. “That’s fine. Just find me a new maid. Just one is more than enough. As to who it is and their skills, I believe Head Butler Nick is capable of choosing the right person for the job.” Though it was a simple statement, it sounded more like an absolute command, making Nick glance up to Luka. 

Luka sat at the round table dressed in a royal blue kimono robe with golden peonies embroidered into the fabric with one leg crossed over the other as she rested one elbow on the table, supporting her jaw. There was a slight smile on her face, making her look languidly elegant.  

“Is there anything else?” she asked. 

“Ah, yes. His Majesty has invited you to the Dream Meadows this afternoon.” 

Hearing the announcement, Luka’s smile deepened. 

12