Crown Of The Star-Rift
69 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alimar stood calmly, leaning on the balcony of his quarters and sipping wine from a golden chalice - watching. The elven city of Farweyn sat far below the castle. The white-gold spires below held nowhere near the magnificence of the castle that stood above it like a trophy of conquest. The inhabitants below looking like nothing but ants, scurrying from place to place, going through their daily routines. He often wondered what it was like to be so simple, the idea of it wasn't very appealing. Soon things would change and the race of elves would be held in higher regard, only he had the power to do it, only him.

His quarters were his sanctuary, the marble floors and the white-gold walls always gave him a sense of cleanliness. Seeing his reflection within was always a good reminder. He would often read ancient tomes by the fire in the late hours of the night, sipping a refreshing beverage and consuming all the knowledge he could. Those moments, to him, were pure bliss.

"Lord Alimar?" A voice spoke from behind.

"Ah Zek, welcome back. Did you acquire the gem?"

When he didn't immediately reply, Alimar turned to face the young mage.

"I-I have some bad news."

"Speak."

"The gem of Winter's Peak, it's, well... It's been shattered."

"What!"

A sudden fury engulfed Alimar and he grabbed Zek using magic, holding him suspended in the air. The boy dared not resist and that only made him more furious. He threw him into the wall of his quarters and slowly began to make his way toward the fearful boy.

"You're going to tell me what happened, not a single missing detail!"

"It was my fault," Zek said with a shaky voice, "A stray arrow hit the gem, the whole city was lost."

"I trust that you killed the one responsible?"

"With pleasure, my lord."

Alimar felt a great deal of satisfaction at the words and a smile crept upon his lips. He let the boy go and he fell to the floor panting.

"Get up."

Alimar knew it was time to remind the boy of what was at stake. He had no clue just how dire their circumstances were and had an inkling that a reminder would motivate him. He walked over toward his fabric-silk bed and pushed it aside with one hand. Under it was a trapdoor and within he removed a golden coffer.

"Come and see this," He commanded and he heard the boy's footsteps on the marble floor inch his way.

"This," Alimar said, gesturing toward the crown that sat in his hand, "This is the crown of the Star-Rift. The human's used this to control the monsters that made us retreat here in the first place."

The boy looked amazed at the crown's beauty. He couldn't blame him, the artifact was gorgeous. The crown's shape was circular as all were, it was plated gold and with a snake made of Emerald circling the crown. There were six pockets that dotted it between short sections of the snake where the gems would fall into place. A thing of beauty and wasted upon the humans that wore it. The crown's origins were unknown to him, some said it was made by the gods, others said it was made by an ancient race that existed long before elves or men. The origins didn't concern him, however, only it's power.

"How did you get it?" Zek asked. 

"Your grandfather got it for me. The thing was forgotten by age and it lay in a city ruin just waiting to be taken."

"My grandfather?"

He wouldn't tell the boy the entire truth. Regretfully, Alimar had the man killed shortly after it's acquisition. He knew that he wouldn't approve of the plans he held for it and he knew that they'd try and stop him. A waste of a Wayfinder, really.

"He was a Wayfinder, like you. Only people of his kind could cross worlds. He was a good man, held complete faith in my plans."

The boy looked starry-eyed as he told the tale of their people. The failure they left behind.

 "The war of the crown, our greatest failure. The humans, they got to it first and we had to flee from an army of monsters in their control. Your grandfather and your mother created the world leap that saved our kind. We were forced to leave the lesser elves to either die or be imprisoned by their human overlords. A regret I carry deeply, for I was there all those thousands of years ago. Do you understand now zek?"

The boy nodded slowly, to Alimar's amusement. 

"We need to take back our world from their dirty hands and this," He gestured to the crown, "This is the only way we can. The loss of a gem may prove to be a good thing, there are more than six."

"Why would there be more?"

"There was another artifact, useless now without enough gems. The crown will have to do."

Zek raised his eyebrows, "Another?"

"A sword lost to time, not even I know where it is."

The boy nodded and dropped to one knee, bowing before Alimar, "The elves will reign again, what must I do?"

"You already know what to do. Find the last four gems and for your and your sister's sake, I suggest you succeed."

Alimar could see the boy flinch at the mention of his sister. He knew that it would ensure his loyalty. Soon he would return and take back what was rightfully theirs, he wouldn't stop no matter how long it took and until he saw the faces of the greatest kings of humanity break into fear, he wouldn't be satisfied.

"Begone with you, boy and make sure you bring one back this time."

He watched after the young elf as he hastily left the room, the sound of his footsteps fading away. Alimar returned his gaze the crown before him. He could feel the power emitting from simply placing two gems within, he couldn't begin to imagine the power he'd wield once the others joined. He returned the crown to the golden coffer and made his way back to the balcony to gaze upon the city once more.

Soon, everything would fall into place.

3