Return To Source – I
42 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The turquoise sky still hung above Ren with twinkling distant stars that seemed like torches in the ether, so small yet so bright. All surrounding the small plane that he stood upon as it continued floating aimlessly in a void of nothingness. He watched the river that lead nowhere as the gushing water fell off the edge and disappeared below. This was the place he made his home. He followed the river and stood at the edge of the world, peering below into oblivion.

The color of the sky faded like a setting sun, then there was nothing but blackness at the bottom of it all. He wondered what there was beyond it. If he were to fall would he be falling forever, or would he land somewhere else? Such trivial things lingered in his mind always. 

Time was meaningless - irrelevant in the place he found himself. Even if it were slowed on the outside, it didn't mean much since he was beginning to feel that he'd never leave anyway. Even with the progress he'd made on learning magic, it was meaningless if he were to live out the rest of his days here and he was getting tired of eating fish. 

He clicked his fingers and stared into the flame that lingered in the palm of his hand. He was still amazed even now at the idea that he could cast magic but he was getting impatient waiting for a way out that may never come.

He was eager to fight, to prevent the disaster at Winter's Peak from repeating, to help Tycon and Ambre. Taren knew that he was becoming restless, though he didn't do much to hide it. She was just as eager but insisted that they use what time they had to teach him. For it may be the most they'll get in a long time.

"You're not planning to jump are you?" Taren suddenly spoke from behind, startling him. 

He felt like his heart had leaped from his chest and instinctively clutched a hand on it as he gasped, he could hear her chuckle at his reaction. 

"No, not at all. Just wondering what lies beyond."

She walked over by his side and stared down below with him, "Not even I know. I'd assume it's just nothing -  a void - emptiness."

He felt her hand touch his and he instinctively jerked it away but then settled in her grasp without a word, looking to the void below them in silence. 

"We'll get out of here Ren, I know it," She said softly, almost in a whisper. 

"I hope you're right," Ren replied, "I'm beginning to lose hope."

She squeezed his hand, "We will just hold on,"

A  sudden strong breeze blew his brown hair into his eyes and he brushed it back with his free hand. He glanced up above to the trees rustling overhead. They thrashed together wildly as the wind began to pick up. It was odd to witness, the wind never hit this hard - ever. His stomach turned and something began to swell within his heart, a feeling of fear. He squeezed Taren's hand tighter. 

What the hell is going on?

The wind began to grow even stronger and he could barely hear his own thoughts above the sound of crashing trees and the howling wind.  Taren turned to him with a frown and he began to feel himself being pulled ever so slightly with the wind. He watched as leaves, as well as twigs, began to fall behind him and they turned to see a large glowing blue doorway appear from thin air. 

"A portal!" Taren exclaimed in disbelief, shaking Ren as a tear fell down his cheek. 

A way out, finally, a way out.

Had Tycon found him? That was the only conclusion he could come up with because nobody else was coming for them. He let himself be pulled towards the glowing doorway. It didn't matter where he would end up, as long as he way away from this place and able to live again. A thousand thoughts spun in his mind on what he would do once he returned.

He would, for one, continue working on his bestiary, he wished he had brought it with him. Despite there being no monsters, he would have liked to document the flora that lingered in the plain between worlds. The world needed to know how best to fight back against the monsters and now he was able to do it again. 

He thought of returning to his home, to Winter's Peak and checking what had changed since he had last been there. As much as he wanted to do that, getting back to Tycon and finding the gems was much more important. He wasn't sure how he would find him again, if he were to at all. Maybe Taren was able to help him. 

Their walk towards the portal quickly became a run. Hand in hand they made their way to the gateway, not looking back for anything. Wherever they were to end up, Ren was ready for what was next. He had achieved something he had never dreamed would happen. He had taken his first step into the world of magic, but there were many hills yet to climb. 

With one last look at Taren, they both stepped through, disappearing and leaving the plane in silence with the trickling river to flow forever.


The City of white-gold, A beautiful beacon of prestige in the morning light. The air was fresh and the golden railing of the balcony was wet with dew. Zeke looked down at the marble and quartz city below as he took in the morning sun. He liked to watch from above and clear his mind of invasive thoughts. The act became somewhat of a ritual for every morning and night. A moment to clear his head and just think of nothing, letting the weight of responsibility relinquish itself from his shoulders. 

Too much time had passed since he'd last searched for a gem and Alimar was getting restless. He had been on Zeke's back ever since he returned from the forest empty-handed - from his sister. The thought of her caused him to lock in place as it invaded his mind once again. Every day he tried desperately to push the memory of her away. She wouldn't join he and Alimar,  locking her away was her punishment. But seeing her in that state left a bad taste in his mouth. All this time he was under the impression that she was imprisoned, not having her life essence sapped from her at the same time. 

A part of him wished he had freed her from that dastardly place. But he knew if he dragged her back here, Alimar would have her and the human killed. If he were to send her back to Sciolyn, they'd work against him. In conclusion, he could only leave them to find their own way out and pretend he'd never been there in the first place. He still felt guilty, no matter hard much he tried to justify it.

Why couldn't she see what he did? Why couldn't she just understand what the humans did to them and why they deserved to be put below the Elves?

Her imprisonment was supposed to be temporary and wasn't meant to lead to her death, that's what Alimar had told him. Ever since Zeke returned he had begun to feel resentful towards Alimar, though he remained loyal to his ideals and his goals.

The man, as he was, was becoming someone Zeke despised, but he was not entirely powerless. Alimar needed him, he was a Wayfinder, one of the few who could tear open portals between worlds and without him, Alimar couldn't launch an assault on Sciolyn. Zeke had a feeling Alimar already knew that, but would he suspect Zeke to overthrow him?

He slammed his balled fist on the railing, letting the dew splash on his face. Choosing between his heart and his beliefs - his duty. Would he really be willing to betray Alimar to free his sister? And what then? He wasn't convinced that he could get her to join his side. If he freed her, she'd just come up against him. 

He wasn't sure if he could really kill her if it came to it. 

There he was, trailing off in thought again. He shook his head to try and clear his mind then took a deep breath, watching it turn to fog as it left his lungs and fell into the cold fresh air. He stood there for a moment longer watching all that transpired below, the people walked through the streets, looking like patterns on the back of a moving snake. These were the people he was fighting for, the oppression in Sciolyn was what he was fighting against and it was time the humans learned how it felt.

"Sir," A male voice called from the door of his quarters. 

Annoyed, Zeke sighed and turned his head to face the man, "What is it?"

"It's Alimar, sir. He requests your presence at once."

Zeke swore under his breath. The impatient fool wouldn't give him a second of peace. He had no doubt he was going to hound him about searching for another gem but he didn't understand that it took time, Sciolyn was a big place after all. 

The man closed his door without another word and Zeke stood for a moment before he pulled on a black and gold silken waistcoat and made his way out the door towards Alimar's quarters.


The marble halls were as quiet as ever with the echoing of his footsteps being the only thing masking the place from feeling hollow. It wasn't long before he arrived in Alimar's quarters to see the familiar sight of the man with his back to him, staring off into the city below and circling wine in a golden chalice. He seemingly had not noticed his presence. Zeke bowed to him anyway and waited to be acknowledged before speaking. 

"So, Zekhalin. How goes the search for the gems?" He asked, not turning to look at him. 

"I'm yet to locate an area with a distinctively strong magical presence. With all the monsters roaming around, it has become quite difficult."

Alimar didn't reply for a moment and Zeke could feel his own desire to cut his throat intensify. 

Smug bastard.

"Well then," Alimar said, finally turning to face the young elf, "Perhaps you should do a little fieldwork? We have four left and I'm beginning to grow tired of your excuses. Get to work or I'll have your sister slain."

Alimar rose from his chair and made his way slowly towards Zeke with a grin on his face, "And I'll make you watch it," He hissed.

It took every ounce of willpower for Zeke not to call him out for planning to kill her anyway. The idea of him executing her was no longer something Alimar could hold over his head, he knew where she was now and he had come to a decision. Zeke had every intention of getting her out if only to imprison her somewhere safe, but first Alimar had to die. He had to take advantage of what little time he had before making a move. 

He would try one last time to convince her to join the cause, he still loved her. But the question still remained. Would he be able to kill her if he really had to? Are his pride and resolve so strong that he'd be able to sever a family connection for the sake of it?

"Of course my lord," Zeke said through gritted teeth.

"Good," He replied, "We are getting close, Zekhalin. Soon everything will be set right."

Zeke simply nodded and left the room in silence while the anger raged within him, rattling his bones and locking his throat. He tried his best to throw the rage aside and think with a clear mind. He had an idea that there were people eager to invade Sciolyn and the waiting was beginning to wear them down, he needed the bodies to throw at Alimar's guards - A distraction and his death would be blamed by Usurpers. Perhaps he would take a walk through the City streets and see if he could recruit a few people to rally behind him. Zeke, of course, was a Wayfinder and who else would deserve the throne more than him?

Because of that fact, he had a feeling that he wasn't going to have too much trouble getting some people behind him and he had a one-way ticket to Alimar's quarters. His days were numbered and he'd be lucky for it to get past one. 

0