Return To Source – IV
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The marble halls were empty as usual. The cold open air made them feel as if they were a tunnel in a void. Not even the reflection of daylight could warm the air around him. Farion shivered as he stepped along the hard floor, listening to his footsteps echo until they fell to nothing. Zeke's quarters were only a few meters down the hall and he was beginning to feel anxious. Things were starting to happen and he'd gone too far to turn back now, he was in it for good.

 
He arrived at the patterned wooden door; spirals twisting in the wood, coiling together until they became flowers. He placed his fist upon the door to knock but hesitated. He looked to the floor for a moment trying to compose himself, hoping that the nerves would dissipate. He took a deep breath, cleared his throat, and finally knocked.
He waited a few moments before he heard Zeke's voice from inside summoning him and he stepped through. The elf was standing on the balcony with his back to him. Even as he heard Farion enter, he did not look back. His gaze remained solely on the city of white-gold. Farion approached and soon stood by Zeke's side, looking upon the city with him in a brief silence before Zeke turned to him.
 
"Anything to report?" He asked.
 
Farion stood straight and rigid with his arms by his side; his expression hard and blank.
 
"I've made contact with some 'Rebels' and the weapons have been shipped," Farion replied. Zeke held up a hand signaling to be at ease and he let his shoulders drop with a low sigh.
 
Zeke let out a brief smile and returned to his gaze to the city, leaning on the railing, "What's your estimation of when their attack will take place?"
 
"A couple of weeks."
 
"And their numbers?" Zeke turned his head slightly to peek an eye on Farion.
 
"Three," He murmured, embarrassed of the low numbers.
 
"Three?"
Farion nodded and Zeke let out a defeated sigh.
 
"They're gaining numbers fast," Farion quickly added, "You have no clue just how fed up the people are. It won't be long, trust me!"
 
"If I didn't trust you, you would not be here. Do they suspect you're a spy?"
 
"No, I told them I'm a tailor in the upper district. When I disappear in the day, that's where they assume I am."
 
Zeke stood up straight and faced him again, "You get their date of the attack and report it to me the moment you learn of it. I'll be ready and waiting, you're dismissed."
 
Farion turned to leave but hesitated. He wanted to ask him about the city, the truth of it. He wanted to know why they were being lied to. A piece of earth floating in the void, nothing beyond but shadow and stars. He had a feeling it was to avoid panic, to keep the masses calm but in the end, they became restless nonetheless.
 
"I need to ask you something, Zekhalin."
 
Zeke made an annoyed sigh and turned from the city and back to his quarters where near the fireplace Farion stood.
 
"What is it?"
 
"The city," Farion started, "I know why we're not allowed to leave. We're floating in a void surrounded by plains just like this one."
 
Zeke took a few steps towards him, eyes wide in surprise, "What? How did you learn this?"
 
He was confused at Zeke's reaction. Farion was under the impression that he knew all along.
 
Farion wiped the sweat that had begun to pour from his brow, "There's a breach in the wall. The three I spoke of, they know too."
 
Zeke's face of shock and surprise quickly turned to a sinister smile. He raised a finger and pointed to him, the smile not faltering for a moment, "I have an idea!"
 
"What do you have in mind?" Farion asked.
 
"We can turn the entirety of the city against Alimar in one fell swoop. If this information gets out to the residents of every district, the upper, the lower, and beyond; Everyone will panic and eventually revolt. Their desperation will be amplified tenfold."
 
It took a moment for the realization to dawn upon him. What he'd learned the other night was exactly what they needed, the truth that Alimar hid from them all would come to light and everyone, even the other generals would turn against him. The only problem was whether the people would believe them or not.
 
"What if they don't believe us?"
 
"Why else would we be locked inside the city? There's no other reason for this order to be enforced. Once the truth has been spread, Farion. Order your men to tear open the golden gates."
 
Farion placed a finger on his chin and thought for a moment, "The other generals are still loyal to Alimar, they won't stand for it."
 
"I will announce the truth myself," Zeke replied determinedly.
 
"That will make you a target of Alimar."
 
"And Alimar will be everyone's target," Zeke said, "This has worked out better than I'd hoped. When this is all over, you'll be my second in command, you've earned it."
 
Admittedly, Farion was taken aback by the sudden promised promotion. He didn't hesitate to take him up on it. More power meant more control over the troops and a higher pedestal to watch the return of the elves unfold. He tried his utmost to hide the smile that he felt creeping upon his lips but he came out flustered.
 
Zeke put a hand on his shoulder and grasped it tightly, "Our return is close, Farion. Send more weapons to the rebels and withdraw your men from the other districts. We don't want the rebels distracted from gearing up." He paused and smiled again, "And when the truth comes to light, they'll all fall on the same side. No loss of life except Alimar."
 
Farion saluted then bowed to Zeke, "It will be done."
 
"You have a day until I tell them all. Be ready when that time comes."

"Fire up the forges!" Farion shouted as he entered the barracks.
 
All his men turned their attention to him, stopping what they were doing and standing straight in mere seconds.
 
"What's going on?" A soldier called.
 
"Prepare for war!"
The moment those words left his mouth, the men looked to each other and spoke in hushed whispers. Soon they began scurrying about the large open marble room like insects. Sharpening blades and polishing armor as if time itself were against them. They only had a day before the storm but he wanted his men to be ready for the portal jump.
 
He had no doubt in his mind that the invasion would begin the moment Alimar had died and being unprepared simply was not within reality for him at all. They were either prepared early or not at all. His men knew that and the way they moved across and out the room proved that.
 
He stepped outside the barracks and stood above the stone steps of the castle, watching the sunset as it moved behind the horizon of buildings and spires. He heard the distant hiss and tapping echo of the forges being worked as the noise fell into the wind. He brushed his long hair back and began making his way down the steps where a wagon sat with his men surrounding it.
 
"What's going on here?" He shouted as he crossed the last step.
 
A man clad in white-gold plated armor looked to him and his eyes within the 'V' shaped visor of his helmet widened at his approach.
 
"N-nothing, sir. W-we were just wondering what the crate of weapons inside the wagon was for."
 
Farion studied the man's armor. The round pauldrons that sat snugly over his shoulders were dirty and the welded patterns of roses upon them were so grimy he could barely make them out. The chest plate with the coiling snake in the middle was just as, if not, grimier than the pauldrons. He could say the same about the gauntlets.
 
"Perhaps you should work on maintaining your armor and weapons before asking questions," Farion dragged a finger across the pauldron and inspected the grime upon it and looked at the man.
 
"O-of course, sir. My apologies," The soldier replied and scurried up the steps, the plate mail rustling as he did.
 
Farion looked to the rest of the men who stood around the cart. They stared back with plain expressions, waiting for their orders.
 
He pointed at two of them, "You two. Take this cart to Lief in the lower district. The rest of you, polish your armor and sharpen your blades."
 
Without another word, the men left to do their duties whereas the other two began carting the weapons outside the castle gate and disappearing into the city beyond.
Lief and the others would get their weapons and the moment the truth was revealed they'd be rushing the castle with blades in hand. The pieces were falling into place and he would be there to tear open the gates and he would be there to see Alimar's fall. A peaceful ending wasn't an option. There would be no way Alimar would step down without a fight, not after all this time of being their leader - their king.

Zeke paced in front of the fireplace in his quarters, lost in thought. The time had come, in one day everything would change. They were finally going to return to Sciolyn and he needed a plan of action once they were there. He glanced at a map he had acquired during his time in Meliora, it sat across the room and against a wall by his bed. He made his way over to it and studied the layout quietly, lost in his own head as he bit his lip and pondered at it.
 
Meliora was in the East and Selenicar on the Western coast. He didn't have any ships at his disposal but he could acquire some if he were to take Selenicar. Unfortunately, Selenicar's main defense was their navy and he stood no chance attacking from the water. The city was still likely recovering from the loss of Duchess Ellington so their morale would certainly be worn thin, even with a Duke on the throne.
 
He thought for a moment and decided to attack from the East, taking Meliora first and spreading through the desert and beyond from there. He would have ten-thousand men at his disposal and he intended to spread them across all of Sciolyn in halves then quarters.
 
He drew the lines across the map in his mind. Meliora first with ten-thousand and then a split of five thousand North, to Winter's Peak, or what was left of it, and five thousand Southwest to Halcyon in the center of the continent - taking all the towns in between. Then he would hold the northeastern quarter of Sciolyn which would buy him time and spread his army wide enough to continue the search of the gems.
 
Once all the gems were accounted for, he would use the monsters to make up the rest of his army.
He was satisfied with the plan and stepped back to sit upon his bed gazing at the map dreamily. This was it, their return and his heart thumped with excitement but beneath it, was a desire to get his sister back and convince her to join him. He would make her submit, no matter the cost.
 
A sudden weariness overcame him as he gazed out to the balcony where the sun had begun to set under the horizon. He lay on his back and closed his eyes, sleep was necessary for the coming day will be the largest of his life.
0