Return To Source – V
28 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A freezing breeze swept across the balcony Zeke stood on as he once again looked down upon the great city. His heart was thumping hard, repeatedly until his chest felt tight - He was nervous. Nervous for what he was about to do, to tell all the people of the great city the truth of it all. The truth within lies; the storm that would follow would not be fleeting, nor would it be silent. The people would come in droves to demand an answer from their king and when that happened, he would strike. 

He glanced down at his shaking hand and clenched it tightly, hoping the shimmering feeling within would subside. Everything was coming to a head and they would finally make their way to Sciolyn. He was excited and nervous at the same time, however, he would not show it in front of his men. He had to be a leader - a warrior for them. They would never see even an inkling of weakness from him, not before they were all dead and gone. 

He gazed upon the city and took a deep breath then looked at the palm of his hand.

Still shaking - dammit.

Suddenly there was a knock at his door. It startled him and he withdrew from the thoughts that lingered in his mind. He snapped a glance at the door and cleared his throat. 

"Come in."

The door squeaked open to reveal Farion at the other side. The golden-haired elf stepped in, his chiseled jaw clenched and his silver eyes stared back at him; speaking on their own. They told him that he was ready and for the first time, Zeke could read that Farion wasn't afraid. 

Farion was now clad in the white-gold armor of their army. The shiny circular pauldrons that arched over his shoulders sat snugly in place and the bulky chest plate covered his usual slender form, making him look a lot larger than he really was. Zeke noticed that the tabard bearing the snake was missing. He guessed it was somehow symbolic of his new allegiance. Farion stepped through and the plated metal boots tapped loudly upon the marble floor with his steps, only stopping when he reached the rug. 

Farion gripped the hilt of his sword that sat on his hip as he bowed to Zeke, "My lord, are you ready?"

Zeke stepped from the balcony and back inside his room, "I am. Have you mustered the men at the gates."

"I have," Farion nodded, "Though the men are quite confused at their orders. I have no doubt that will change once the announcement echoes throughout the city."

"Good, the sooner we get this done; the better. Go now to the gates and be there with your men to witness their reactions."

Farion bowed again, "As you wish my lord. The time has come for the emergence to begin."

Zeke saluted the general and he returned the gesture. As quickly as he entered, Farion left and Zeke was left alone again to return to the balcony and watch the city for the very last time. He decided he would do so in complete and utter silence and with a calm heart. As he stood, he looked into the horizon where distant spires stood proudly; Monuments to what they had built soon to be left at their backs as they disappeared back into their home. The sight of the sun looming at its zenith brought on a sense of peace, a calm before the storm and he let that overcome him as the hour flew on by. 

The wind whistled as it blew his hair gently and he took a deep breath and clenched his fist. Using magic, he amplified his voice. 

The time had come. 

Attention people of Farweyn, the great city of white-gold. This is Zekhalin, son of Zanathar and Wayfinder. I speak to you now in regards to a great truth I've come to discover. A truth that will break the very foundations of this city and all of you who inhabit it. Your king; King Alimar, a veteran of the war of the crown and the man behind the construction of this great city. A man who is now no longer fit to be king. For thousands of years we have built this city, watched it grown and I'm sure every single one of you has wondered what lies beyond these walls. 

I hate to disappoint you all... But what lies beyond is nothing. A great void of stars and colors; an endless chasm leading to nowhere. We are alone, drifting aimlessly in oblivion as your leader does nothing. He bides his time while we suffer from enormous population growth; a problem that has come to no longer be sustainable. People are dying and we're out of room, I call for you all to make haste towards our great golden gates and watch as they finally fall to reveal what I say as truth. 

Alimar has lied, we suffer for nothing. I call for a return to Sciolyn - A return to our home and I call for it now!

Soldiers! I order you to tear down those gates.

And like that, he had done it. He ended the announcement and took a deep breath then let out a beaming smile. Zeke knew at that moment he was Alimar's number one enemy. He darted into and across his room to a dresser and pulled a dagger from one of the drawers. He studied the blade and ran his finger across it, smiling to himself then slipped it into his belt. 

A sudden and exhilarating burst of adrenaline surged through him, he was determined to finish this and finally show Alimar who really deserved the title of king.

He stepped from his quarters with a spring in each stride and he looked ahead with a hard stare to the end of the marble hall where behind the elegantly patterned wooden door Alimar would be waiting for him and he was ready. 

I'm done with holding back. I'm done with waiting. I'm ready to end this and begin something anew.


The rage and disbelief could be heard echoing throughout the city streets and the steps of hundreds of townsfolk began trampling towards the gate where just above - on the wall - Farion stood watching with a wide smirk upon his face. It had been done and he was absolutely ecstatic and couldn't wait a moment longer to break open the gates and show them all the truth of Alimar's lies. He glanced down to the soldiers that were posted by the gate and called them to attention. The soldiers looked up to him, waiting for his order. 

"Open the gates! Open them now!" He called. 

The soldiers nodded and began smashing at the large padlock wrapped in chains. 

The crowds began cascading down the street like the flow of a river. Some appeared enraged whereas some seemed confused or curious. At the end of it all, every single one of them would change to hatred and fear. It was for the good of them - for his people and it was a necessary change, he told himself that again and again. He was proud to be the one by Zeke's side as they changed their world and soon to be the next one too. History would look upon him favorably as a loyal servant to the true king and a true leader who helped overthrow Alimar and subsequently lead the charge back into Sciolyn. 

Farion closed his eyes and listened to the jumbled hysterical conversations of the city folk - waiting for the crash and jingle of the lock falling to the stone road. He opened his eyes and there it was... With a loud crash, the lock dropped and the gates opened with a loud groan that drowned out the voices of the city folk. He turned and watched from the wall as they scattered amongst the open fields like runaway slaves searching for the truth. Once they learned that what Zeke said was true, they'd be scurrying to surround the castle in droves. It may have seemed like a plot to overthrow a king but Farion would rather think of it as liberation because that's exactly what it was.

"You!" A voice called from below the wall. 

Farion turned to see Lief standing staring up at him with both Fyr and Zon by his side. 

"Looks like you got what you wanted," Farion said with a smile. 

Lief didn't return it however and continued to stare at him until finally, he spoke, "You did this, didn't you?"

Farion frowned, "I thought you'd be a little happier."

"Oh, I am," He nodded, "Just didn't expect a soldier - much less - a General of the army of Alimar to be behind it."

"Let's just say I saw things your way and leave it at that."

There was a long pause and Farion was about to say goodbye before Lief spoke again. 

"There's something I wanted to ask you," Lief said, avoiding Farion's eyes. 

"What is it?"

"Since we're now likely serving Zekhalin, we wanted to join the fight in taking back our home."

Farion raised an eyebrow and held back a cackle as he looked at the three, but the look in their eyes told him they were serious.

"You want to join us? Now isn't the time, Lief," Farion cocked his head towards the outside of the wall, "Perhaps we should wait until later. There's quite a lot going on."

"Of course," Lief bowed, "But I expect to see you after this is over, I'll hold you to that."

Farion bowed back and returned his attention to the people as they disappeared behind the horizon. By now they'd likely have learned the truth and that meant it was time for him to make his way back to the castle. His men could handle it from here and he needed to back up Zeke if something went wrong. He pointed to a few soldiers that were loitering down by the gate and called out to them. 

"You, you, and you. You're coming with me, we're heading back to the castle."

The men saluted, "Yessir."


The door creaked open loudly as Zeke stepped inside Alimar's quarters. The room felt cold, like an aura of ice was floating around him and his face felt like stone. He gripped his dagger tight as his gaze fell on Alimar who once again, had his back to him. He stood there dressed in a golden waistcoat with black pants and he cocked his head at the sound of the door. He did not say a word for a moment and slowly turned to face the young elf. Zeke watched his eyes as they glanced at the dagger still held firmly in his hand and Alimar let out a weak smile. 

"So, you've betrayed me then?" He said casually as if the whole ordeal was a mere inconvenience.

Alimar's uncaring attitude irritated him and he could feel a trembling in his arms as rage began to boil within. 

"I've seen through your lies!" Zeke snapped, "You ride on the coattails of all great kings before you."

"I saved our people," Alimar shot back, "We had nothing and look at what we've accomplished," He threw an arm out behind him, gesturing to the city that stood beyond the balcony. 

"All I see is stagnation, death, and suffering as we all wait for your call to leave this place. The city needs a king of action, one who will not waste time as their people suffer!"

Alimar arched his eyebrows and frowned, "I had a plan! Biding time was the only way to gain enough force and power to ensure the least amount of lives lost at our return."

"People are dying here anyway!" Zeke cried, "You imprisoned my sister to keep me in line while I did your dirty work. I followed you like you were my father and convinced myself that what you did to Taren was necessary. My every breath was for your cause until I realized that I should fight for what I believe in, my own cause, my way. You are nothing but a pretender standing in my shadow, I have more power and by right I should use it for myself."

Alimar stood silent, letting his words sink in and Zeke watched as anger began to rise within him. His face turned red and his jaw locked up, in a split second he reached behind his back and drew a dagger.

"Look at you," Alimar muttered, "A spoiled child with a power you never earned! It matters not if I kill you, I still have your sister and unlike you, I will make her obey."

That was the last straw. Zeke felt the surge of magic flow through him with a flaming intensity that grew much stronger with his rage. He curled up a fist and pulled it behind him as if he were gearing up for a punch and pushed forward with his hand open, throwing a telekinetic blast of magic forward. The moment the blast left his hand, he dashed forward ready to plunge the dagger into his throat. Alimar blocked the attack leaning forward with his arms crossed but wasn't prepared for the melee follow up. The best Alimar could do was stop the dagger with his left hand and Zeke saw Alimar watch with horror as the blade pierced through and spatters of blood spread across his face. 

Alimar threw Zeke off him with a shove and grabbed him with a magical grip, throwing Zeke up into the ceiling, holding him suspended in the air for a moment before slamming across the room and into the wall with a loud thud. He felt the breath leap right from his lungs but managed to drag himself back to his feet with a gasp. 

Zeke was painfully aware that Alimar had much more magical knowledge than him but he had something Alimar didn't - teleportation - and he had full intentions of using that to his advantage. By the time Zeke made it to his feet, Alimar began throwing every bit of furniture his way with magic in a vicious frenzy of both rage and desperation. Zeke dodged by teleportation, disappearing and reappearing in flashes of blue light, gradually getting closer to his adversary as he continued to launch attack after attack, be it telekinesis or flame. 

Zeke had reached halfway across the room before Alimar stopped his frenzy, pausing only for a split second to charge up a fire blast. He hesitated to launch himself at Alimar in fear of being hit by the blast and it cost him an opportunity to strike. He ducked quickly under the fireball, feeling the molten flames singe the tips of his hair before continuing his advance. Alimar would never expect such a bold strategy of a straight advance, he was a cautious man, and Zeke was not; he was a man of action. 

Alimar knew he was getting too close and switched into a melee combat stance with his dagger held in front of him, ready for the blades to clash. Zeke tensed his arm and slammed the dagger forward as hard as he could but instead of the leathery feeling of splitting skin, there was only the hard clash of metal and a hiss as the blades slid across each other. 

Alimar followed the block up with a hard punch to the gut, Zeke coughed but returned with a sharp blow to the face with the pommel of his dagger. Alimar stepped back with a grunt and in a daze as he tried to recover from the blow, leaving himself wide open and Zeke went in with his dagger pressed forward, ready for the final blow but Alimar was baiting him. He suddenly kicked the dagger from Zeke's hand and quickly followed up with another punch in the gut, then another. Zeke could have sworn he felt a rib crack on the last one and he fell to the cold marble floor breathless, coughing, and heaving in desperate attempts to catch his breath.

"You see now, Zekhalin?" Alimar said with a sneer, " You're too weak to be a leader."

Zeke clenched his teeth, his words were like salt in the wound of his pride. He wouldn't lose, he wouldn't let this be the end. He had to suck up the pain and let it fuel him; let it be the source of his power. He no longer took orders from anyone and the only way he could be his own person was to cut out the leech that kept him suppressed.

I won't lose... I can't lose. 

He hid his pain, deep down, and let it fuel his rage. He glanced to his left and saw his dagger lying on the marble floor and it was close enough to grab, he had an idea. In the blink of an eye, he launched himself towards the dagger, grabbing it tightly before Alimar could react and then teleported. Reappearing in the air above Alimar with the dagger held up behind his head and the tip pointing down, ready to stab. Alimar only managed to react and lookup for a moment before the blade pierced through his throat and out the back of his neck. Zeke pressed the dagger in as deep as the blade would allow him and when they fell to the floor, he only let go of the hilt when the blood began to spread across the white floors and Alimar's gurgling stopped. 

When he let go, Zeke looked to his hands as they trembled uncontrollably. He glanced down at Alimar, the man's eyes still wide as if the shock still hadn't left him even when he took his last breath. He sat there beside him for a moment as he let the adrenaline wash away, only standing when he heard the loud crashing of metal footsteps quickly approaching the door.

"Zekhali-" Farion cut himself off at the sight of Alimar's corpse as he rushed through the door, "So, it's done then."

Zeke nodded, "It is," He paused for a moment, "Rally the men and settle the citizens, the time has come. We leave for Sciolyn in four hours."

"What about him?" Farion pointed to Alimar.

"I'll take care of it. You have your orders!"

Farion saluted, "Yessir," And marched from the room.

Zeke waited until Farion's steps faded away before he turned his attention back to Alimar's corpse then grabbed the fabric of his coat and slowly dragged him to the balcony. Once he was set in place, Zeke clicked his fingers and a flame burst to life on the coat and he watched as the man he once followed slowly burned to ash, gone with the wind, and forever left with the city he built. A city that would someday be long forgotten, just like him. 

He watched as the ash was carried away in the wind and gazed into the sky and let the wind overcome him. He had done it, what he needed to do and for the first time in a long time he felt liberated, he felt whole. There was only one more thing left to do before he left for Sciolyn. He held his hand out and made a cross-motion with his index finger and a blue shining portal appeared in front of him. A few moments passed before both Taren and the human, Ren, emerged looking confused and bewildered then eventually enraged when their eyes fell upon him. 

"Alimar is dead," Zeke said without hesitation.

Both Taren and Ren were tense, eyebrows arched, and ready to make an attack at any sudden movement he made. 

Taren's expression softened and she stepped forward, much to Ren's disapproval, "Does this mean you've changed your mind?"

Zeke shook his head, "No, I haven't. But Alimar is gone, he no longer controls us and this kingdom is ours and all of Sciolyn and beyond can be ours too," He reached his hand out towards her, "We can make things the way we want them to be. Please, I'm giving you one last chance to join me."

She almost seemed tempted, furrowing her eyebrows as a glistening tear began to roll down her pale cheek and slowly reached her arm out.

"Don't listen to him," Ren called from behind her. 

"This does not concern you, human!" Zeke snapped. 

He watched in saddening silence as Taren's hand slowly drifted back down to her side, tears flowing like rivers and she shook her head.

"Why can't you go peacefully? Why is your heart so full of hate?" She said, her soft voice quivering, "Let go! He's gone now."

In a fleeting sense of sadness he almost considered her words but reality soon took its place. He was a leader and the humans still hadn't paid for what they'd done. He tried desperately to let go for the sake of her but he couldn't. He knew she would come to understand in due time, she would submit to his cause. 

"It's too late now," He said apologetically, "If you're not with me, then you leave me with no choice."

He raised his hand but Taren was quick to react. 

"Ren!" She called, and he placed his hand on her chest that followed with a bright beam, "Go now!"

In an instant she held out her hand and did a crossing motion. He knew what it was and lunged at her in an attempt to stop her but he was too late. The portal opened and with a thrust of magic Taren threw Ren inside before turning her attention back to him. 

"Don't you go!" Zeke shouted over the portals hum.

He reached out and tried to grab her with magic but she resisted. He was surprised at her determination and he clenched his hand tighter as the grip around her strengthened. Her arms were held close to her sides but he was surprised to see her flick her wrist and open her hand and at that moment he knew what was coming next and if he were to block, it would risk her getting free. She had won. 

He braced and the next thing he knew, he was thrown across the room by an invisible force, losing his grip on her and slamming hard into the wall. When he came to, the last thing he saw was Taren looking back at him with a cold sadness in her eyes. He could see the finality on her face and that was when he knew she would never be coming back. She made her choice and the next time he'd see her, it would be on the battlefield. His heart sunk when he saw her step through the portal and disappear in the shining blue light, and for a moment he let himself weep privately. 

I'm so sorry. I can't let go...

 

 

 

 

 

0