Chapter 147 – The Lesson Learned
142 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The dome slowly began to break apart and in its place were three silver balls that floated returning to Alice's hand.

James and Mason noted that she looked weak in the knees and even stumbled a little every couple steps – clearly the earlier battle with the best was just too intense, if only they knew how much.

As for Elizabeth, she was currently wrapped around Zeel like a Koala – not loosening her grip one bit regardless of Zeel trying to pry her off.

'Attachment to the highest degree'. 'What a good relationship' Mason thought attempting to bring her camera to eye level, she desperately wanted to take a picture and immortalize this moment, but in the end, she decided to heed Alice's warning.

Zeel examined the island through a hologram for a couple of seconds. Never let your guard down, especially when you think that you have won.

Due to his constant precautions, he noticed several red dots scattered all over the island.

No doubt the earlier battle had resulted in the forced awakening of a couple of skullcrawlers but with Kong's capabilities, he would succeed in dealing with such minor inconveniences.

Zeel walked towards the nearby civilians and then turned his gaze towards Elizabeth, a brief code flickered across his pupil before he nodded in understanding "So you guys wanted to experiment on her?"

James, Slivko, Mason, Brooks, and San turned pale at that statement, but Alice was quick to intervene "Stop scaring them, they're already at their breaking point,"

Elizabeth giggled for a bit but decided one more trick should be done "Babe, he was always hitting on me,"

Elizabeth spoke with a coquettish tone of voice, while also looking as bashful as possible. Naturally, she was pointing at Slivko.

Zeel's eyes narrowed at Slivko who began to kowtow almost immediately; he grew confused at the action but was vaguely aware that ancient cultures of his world use to perform this action to demonstrate filial piety.

Zeel was truly weirded out at the intensity with which Slivko was kowtowing "Dude chill! I am not your father,"

Slivko paused briefly, before doing one more kowtow and scurrying behind James.

"You always make friends with weird people," Zeel said giving Elizabeth and Alice the stink eye; they were both offended by his audacity at calling others 'weird'.

'You're a walking personification of weirdness' they both thought internally but didn't have the guts to say it out loud.

Zeel decided that directness was always appreciated, so with no further evasive language or distractions, he stated his purpose "I need to speak to your world leaders in a week's time. This is my last saving grace towards your planet. Whether you listen or not is up to you,"

Each word that left his throat also pressed on his heart. Zeel was not one to show mercy or compassion because even the best of intentions could be twisted in the end – that's just the reality of the Multiverse and a lesson ingrained in him from his own homeworld.

This would be the last time he would allow Alice to be a bit wilful, should this behavior continue he would have no choice but to ex-communicate her from their group.

Which was essentially the same as killing her; should her Mbeamer be destroyed, it would be the same as deactivating the nanites that make up the majority of her body's functions.

Zeel preferred to take every precaution, the thing that kills you when you are all-powerful is not a powerful enemy, it is the mistake you made when you were five years old.

The moral was 'Things have a way of coming back to bite you in your ass when you're at the height of power'.

One Week Later

Zeel, Alice, and Elizabeth were standing on a stage in New York City, the conference was filled with world leaders from all over.

This is the location of a new peacekeeping collaborative of several countries across the world called 'The United Nations'.

Alice spoke first "Don't ask who we are or where we came from, just be grateful that we accidentally came here before anyone else,"

President of X country noticed the subtlety of her words and asked "You are saying that others may come in the future?"

Elizabeth nodded "Well yeah, though the chances are small, it is not impossible. Be grateful we came since other travelers would not be as kind as ourselves. Even then we were reluctant to help you at first,"

Zeel got tired of the entire proceedings, he was eager to leave this Universe since being beaten by a tail swipe from a Dragon, and only an idiot would pick fights with a Dragon that was in a weakened state.

"Here is the deal, nobody should go near that island for your own safety. If enough humans die at that location, their bodies will decompose and become energy for the things below. Now whether or not you listen is up to yourselves, either destroy yourself or save yourselves for posterity," Zeel said.

After finishing his common sense statement, Zeel grabbed Alice and Elizabeth forcefully activating their antigravity boots.

Alice was a bit irked by his urgency "What's wrong?"

Elizabeth looked at Zeel before nodding "She needs to see it either way. I have a similar mentality to her but less severe,"

Zeel nodded in turn as he tossed three silver balls into the air, the balls span in a circular motion causing a spatial distortion.

Soon the trio were pulled into the distortion and exited near the Itanga region of Africa.

"Where are we?" Alice asked a bit confused about what Elizabeth and Zeel had planned.

Zeel gestured and said, "Look!"

In the distance, the trio could see tribe grounds, thatches houses, traditional clothing that covered little skin, wooden spears, and everything else you would expect from the primitive tribe.

Then a horn was blown as everyone made their way towards a wide-open area spanning a couple of miles in diameter.

Drums were beaten, horns were blown, and adults of all ages were guided to the front-most wearing protective gear with determined looks on their faces.

Soon a savage battle started with guts and organs littering the mini-battlefield, the crowd cheering for their respective representatives. Alice watched this with little concern since she had seen such scenes numerous times before.

In the end, only two adults stood above all others – a man and a woman.

A couple of minutes later, the children of those who lost were gathered together, Alice's eyes began trembling slightly but Zeel froze her in place with the use of the nanites.

Elizabeth also looked a bit disgusted at what was about to occur but took it significantly better than Alice.

The children were executed one by one and later tossed over the fire with various seasonings – no doubt they had become the next meal.

Zeel explained with carefully chosen words "Any child of the parents who lost the right of succession are considered unprotected and must be shown the mercy of death so they don't die from the cold or starvation,"

Zeel looked at the red-eyed Alice and further said "This is survival, I made them kill all the kids. Usually, they would save some of the young girls to become toys for the best hunters.

The boys would be used as bait to lure lions away from the camp or into traps. The weaker would be ripped apart alive and eaten raw since they believed it gave them unparalleled strength.

Sometimes the parents would enter the succession battle and lose on purpose so their beautiful daughter could find a better life with a hunter as a slave.

Once you become a slave, the hunter should take care of you by law – the more you contribute to the hunter, the more your status elevates – sometimes the slaves replace the wife.

For the boys, once you can survive a lion attack then you can change from a slave to a hunter and begin your own rise to the top. This society gives opportunities in the face of death and there is nothing wrong with that,"

Seeing that Alice was looking at him with venomous eyes, Zeel could only sigh and hope that the next incident would show her the difference between the necessity of survival and pure wastefulness.

"If you want to come back and kill them I won't stop you. But you can only choose to kill one of the groups we encounter today," Zeel whispered with a look of disappointment on his face.

Zeel chose this primitive tribe to demonstrate the necessity of survival because his mom grew up in a similar environment.

While Zeel, himself, had training forced onto him by the Asheborn's in a similar manner to the tribe they just visited.

With a wave of Zeel's hand, the balls spun once more causing a spatial distortion that sucked them inside.

"Yeah, awesome!"

"Kill him!"

"This is excitement at its best,"

Appearing from the spatial distortion, Alice could hear the cheers of many people.

"What is this place?" Alice asked observing the cages alongside all the high-class people gathering around them.

Zeel looked around for a bit before saying "The main event is starting,"

Two glass cages were rolled onto the stage under the constant applauds of the crowd. Inside the cage was a man and a woman, who both wore wedding rings and gowns, no doubt recently married.

Elizabeth was very uncomfortable at this display since anyone could tell what was about to occur.

Alice did nothing this time, instead opting to just watch everything that was occurring.

The two glass cages were set right next to each other with a key in between and a beeping box in each glass cage.

Alice looked at it with little fluctuations in her emotions, Zeel decided to comment "I know you are not averse to seeing violence or the death of innocents. I know you have a hardened heart for such things but still would find the way with less sacrifice,"

Alice nodded slightly in affirmation as Zeel finished what he was saying "Ever since I met you, I have also tried to find the method with the least sacrifices but I also need to find the method that has the greatest chance of survival.

I don't hate that you always consider others, but I know that if you continue to consider others more than ourselves then we will soon die,"

While Zeel was speaking, Elizabeth and Alice were listening but also paying sufficient attention to the couple desperately trying to decide who would live, and who would die.

One key for unlocking their individual glass cages, so only one gets to leave in any given scenario.

The timer was about to hit nil but neither of them could come to a decision.

"They said until death does us apart," The husband said placing his bloodied hand on the class.

"I am afraid to die, but karma comes for us all," The wife replied, also placing her bloodied hands on the glass, matching that of her husband's.

Earlier the couple had tried to rip open the sharp ends of the glass using their bare hands. The glass dug into their hands, but the couple still desperately tried to reach for each other.

The bomb was ticking down, and at this point, even Elizabeth was poised to move but held herself back.

Alice was about to act but found herself still frozen by Zeel.

Alice, Zeel, and Elizabeth watched as the newlyweds were blown to bits by the bombs in their cages, the crowd of high-class men and women cheering at the exhilarating experience of witnessing a life or death struggle.

Elizabeth grimaced at the sight but then gave Alice the option in Zeel's place "You can kill the African Tribe for killing those children, even if it's their culture, it can still be considered morally wrong by our standards. Or you can kill these guys who killed a newlywed couple, not for tradition but for entertainment,"

Zeel added "I showed you to scenarios to show you the difference between doing what was necessary, and doing something for entertainment.

I feel nothing when killing others, but that also means I don't do it for enjoyment. I simply observe the best, and easiest way to solve a problem. I hope you can be more considerate of how I see things in the future,"

Alice didn't even say anything and raised her hand into the air in a gripping manner, the next thing Elizabeth and Zeel knew, everyone in the room fell to the ground after a huge 'crunch' sound echoed out.

Even the children that were cheering for the event were now dead.

"We need to leave this Universe; I know you didn't want to consider it but we are too weak to combat even weakened Dragons. We need to become stronger," Alice said, walking away with a stoic look on her face.

Alice was torn inside from what she witnessed.

It was not about the event itself, it was about the fact that everyone there was guilty. The moment Alice came to the event, her nanites began to scan the faces of everyone present.

Their records were constantly flickering across her pupil, everything they had ever done that was recorded in a database somewhere was also displayed for her to see.

The children present were known to have killed two of their classmates with pencils.

The children got off because their parents were wealthy.

The truth was the children came to these events with their parents and thought it was normal to hurt others if they could get away with it.

The newlyweds in the glass cages were also guilty since they often attended these events until the birth of their child a couple of years ago.

They too had condemned a couple to death in a previous celebration.

Everyone present here was guilty, and it baffled Alice how there was no right choice in this scenario.

"It's time to start using the knowledge Lorien gifted us to become stronger. I know you wanted to look for other options but at this point, it is either Gods or Demons…. all the other options take too long," Elizabeth said, walking next to Alice.

Zeel sighed looking at the bodies that loitered the floor, all their necks were broken in the same direction.

It was frightening to think that he could not tell how their necks were broken. There was no residual energy left behind by the action.

'Safe to say that Alice's abilities have reached the next level,' Zeel mused in his mind.

Zeel truly didn't want to take the evolutionary path of a God, but that was one of the limited options he now possessed.

There were thousands of ways to get stronger without becoming a god, but many of Zeel's enemies were expecting him to choose those ways.

Zeel stared at the chandelier above his head "Okay, we'll leave in a couple of days at most,"

Suddenly, a series of names started to flicker across Zeel's pupils. He was updating the list of enemies that wanted him dead. Of course, the list was arranged in an order of those who posed the greatest threat to his life.

Near the bottom, he added the name of the Dragon he spent the better part of 29 years with - Ragnir.

Currently, there were thousands of names on the list, and those were just the few that could act on their hatred.

Zeel sighed as he had already become accustomed to his life is under threat. All Homo-Superiors had a similar list, but Zeel was sure that his was the largest apart from his father's.

4