Chapter 37: Bonus Content
91 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Not a full chapter, just some bonus material that wouldn't fit anywhere without breaking the narrative.

Private meetings with the council were practically unheard of for ordinary people, Tinamoc only got one because of who he was related to, and who he had personally become in terms of his political significance. But Sudaj was a nobody. An obsessive nobody, but one with information that would make him somebody. To get this meeting he had to do only one thing however, he had to say he had vital information pertaining to Neia Baraja. She'd made a powerful and terrifying impression on the council when she'd met with them,
and the promise of information was nothing they were going to turn down. They had privately reasoned that if his presentation had no value, all it cost them was a few minutes, and they could always execute him for hampering government business.

Sudaj however, was not wasting their time.

"Before I tell you what I know, I will tell you what I want." He said loudly as he stood in front of them, his eyes locked on the center figure,  his had their attention, very few people dared demand anything of the council, the only ones who did, were either in a supremely powerful position...OR they had something the council desperately needed...which was basically the same thing as far as they were concerned. To open with such a bold statement spoke of either his stupidity, or his absolute rightness about the importance of what he knew.

"Go on." He was urged.

"I want forty chests of silver, the position of captain of the city's guard, a house in the interior, a title, and one more thing...I want Neia Baraja to be captured for what I tell you, not killed. You can make her suffer in the dungeon first, fitting punishment I think, but I want the right to take responsibility for her when I am ready." Sudaj said, his price was steep, they exchanged glances with each other, it was overwhelming compared to anything they had ever paid out of their treasury.

"If we deem what you say is worth that much, very well, but if it is not, your life is forfeit for presuming to ask so much. Do you accept?" He was asked by their military command.  The terms were meant to intimidate him, but Sudaj was not only no coward, he knew the value of what he had to say.

"I accept." He said flatly, stunning them into silence.

"Then say on." He was instructed, and as he spoke, they listened with rapt attention and uniform horror as he spoke of his conversation that afternoon with Neia Baraja, he laid out all he knew, and when he was done, he went silent for a moment. 

"My life or my reward, which will it be?" He asked.

"Reward." They said, one after another, it was unanimous, the very existence of their city was under threat from within. It required a response, but within the plans of Neia Baraja lay the answer.

When he showed them the voucher from Tinamoc for his assistance, there was some question about Tinamoc's involvement, however Sudaj answered, "If he was involved, she didn't mention it, frankly he seems to be oblivious to everything she does, he might approve of some things, but if he had any direct knowledge, well she didn't reveal it, besides, what would he have to gain, she probably got him to write this voucher with some excuse, or intimidated him into cooperating as far as he did."

This satisfied them, but that brought them back to the solution. Tinamoc's uncle was the one to speak it, "Go out and acquire the beer, but make it the kind given to children the sort with very little alcohol that they use when water becomes toxic, tell the soldiers to act drunk, to be out 'in force' but to give the appearance of being heavily intoxicated at the appointed time, we will turn this trap upon them, and we will punish them all for the temerity of challenging our divinely given place under the heavens, after we've ensured your 'trophy' has suffered enough, you can do with her whatever you want, make her beg for it if that makes you happy, but first this threat will be nullified."

Sudaj bowed deeply. "I will wait until after the crisis is passed to accept my reward, for now I will see to the beer, and leave the matter of informing the command about their orders to your authority."

There was a general agreement in the room, and Sudaj bowed, and walked out smiling, he expected he would spend a lot of time smiling in the near future, and he indulged in a private fantasy of a grateful Neia falling into his arms as he unchains her from a rack.

So this is filling in a short span of time, I had actually originally intended to put this into the previous chapter or the next one, but it interrupted the narrative in both places, so I made it a bonus instead, because I liked it and didn't want to NOT use it. Reviews feed me, don't let me starve. :) 

Also, don't forget, for my other stories visit my FF.net or Royal Road found here:

Fanfiction.net
Royal Road

If you are interested in the latest updates of my stories and wish to support my work visit the Overlord Fanfiction Discord. As a bonus "The One Who Stayed" is up to Volume 5 exclusively there and you can support the crowdfund for Volume 6 :

Discord - Overlord Fanfiction

Don't forget, if you want to Support and help crowdfund this and my other stories, don't forget to buy me a Coffee here!!

Kofi - Buy me a coffee and support "The One who Stayed"

0