Lock 22: My Valentine
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fast Forward

"Do you have a date for tomorrow?" Liam asked.

"None. I do not intend to roam around after my class, and if you would mind giving me my privacy. The other customers are waiting for you at the counter," I politely said with a smile.

I'm at Café Blanca now, trying to relax, yet Liam is bothering me. I am not annoyed. However, he keeps on talking about things that do not make sense, as he says he would court me. I don't believe Liam or his words so much as I think he is only telling a bluff. I mean, he would say it as if he is so sincere about it, then when he gets back at his station, it becomes a different story. Liam is back to his usual self as flirty to every girl customer, and he enjoys playing fire with them. Yeah, he is a straightforward guy, and that is something I like about him, but my heart is already taken by someone else, and that person is Shane.

Wondering why Liam is asking if I have a date tomorrow? It's because love is in the air. It will be Valentine's Day when the clock strikes 12 midnight.

I'm at my same usual spot with my same order slash favorite on their menu. What I'm doing here? Nothing. Just want to waste my time doing nothing. Sightseeing, I guess. I am looking through the glass panel, there's a bush outside, and it is my first time recognizing its presence for the longest time visiting this Café. This bush is somewhat familiar. My observation of its few, round, and blue fruit, there is no doubt it is a blueberry plant. A gray-colored bird is nibbling on it. That may possibly be the reason there's a little fruit left. I am mesmerized while watching that bird that I don't know off eating the fruits of that plant. Such a mischievous little creature.

Valentine's Day

I woke up like any other day, went to the bathroom to clean myself, get dressed, have breakfast, and left for school. On the way, I met Ley, not really because I had taken only a few steps away, his house is up ahead, and he was sort of waiting for me.

Ley was leading the way, and I was following him. However, when we reached the school and only a few seconds since we have entered the vicinity, the people started to swarm Ley, mostly female students. I was pushed back, making me get separated from him. Girls from all over the campus are waiting for Ley. They have chocolates, cards, and even flowers in their hands to give to him, and some also got banners. It looks like there's a fan club dedicated to him. Having this situation, I sneaked out and left Ley be surrounded by his fanatics. He's a grown-up, and I'm sure that he can take care of himself more than I can to myself.

I need to get my books at the locker first before going to the classroom. Walking down the hallway, everyone seems busy with their business, their love interest. Today is Valentine, and it's the perfect occasion for such things. I'm not being a bitter person here. I'm just a hopeless romantic.

I'm in front of my locker now. As soon as I opened the lock, a card welcomed me, sitting on my books. It seems just a greeting card that you can buy at any bookstore, but together with it is a piece of sunflower that makes everything exceptional. I tried reading the letter, and it really is just a greeting card, yet another gift from Mockingbird. I look from left to right to see if anyone is acting weird or suspicious, but they all seem unbothered. This person knows my residence, and now we are schoolmates. He is getting creepier. I placed the flower inside a book, sandwiched between its pages.

Walking to my room, it's getting more and more crowded as I get closer. When I finally get inside, I realized that this pack of individuals is all coming for Shane. More people are gathering here than those of the people flocking Ley earlier. What a scene they are making. Shane's table is full of chocolates, cards, flowers, and gifts. I don't have something for Shane, and I've done my part already of letting him know that I like him. It's all up to him now.

My classmates are all looking at me, not really unto me but on my desk. I was standing next to my table as I also cannot believe it. There's another sunflower on my desk and a photograph of a bird too. It's like the bird that I saw yesterday. I flipped the polaroid film to see the back part. There's no message written on it, but it is signed with Mockingbird. Then I take a look at the picture for the second time. I now have two sunflowers.

"What does it say? Who gave it?" this girl smells gossip. It's Charm trying to take a peek at the photograph.

"It says Mockingbird." I casually said what I saw written at the back of it.

"I know it's a mockingbird. I'm not asking what kind of bird is in the photograph. I'm asking if there is something written at the back?" Okay, she did not get it.

"It's really Mockingbird. Look!" I emphasized it while letting her see what's on the back of the film. Now, we're talking.

"Owww, get it," the reaction she responded.

"I got some tea to spill. Hear this, aside from being the name of a bird in the photograph, it is also the pen name used by an anonymous person who sent me a gift since last holiday. It has been bothering me who it was," telling her the story behind this Mockingbird. Not the bird but the pen name.

"So, you are telling me that you have a secret admirer?" Charm asked as she analyzes things.

"I don't actually consider it that way, but if that's how you interpret it, then maybe it is a secret admirer of mine." Expanding the thoughts she initially has.

The teacher came in, and the crowd outside seems to have vanished in an instant. Shane's desk is kind of disturbing as it overflows the gifts he receives from his admirers.

We have a spontaneous regular class discussion, and everything seems to went well.

~

We have been dismissed, and I'm now waiting for Ley. I'm outside of their team's locker room, and he said he'll take a shower for a bit since he is sweaty from practicing.

We go to school together, and he sends me home single every day. If he has practice, I will wait for him. It's has been like this since the incident happened. I told him many times that he doesn't need to do it, but he never listened. He is taking it as a serious matter, and to a point, he had become overprotective. I'm grateful that he is worried, but sometimes I think that it is too much. He shouldn't be wasting his time on me. He should find a girl to be his lover, and that wouldn't be hard for him.

Someone went out, and I thought it was Ley, so I prepared myself to leave, but it was Shane in school's PE uniform. He is handsome as ever, and I was stunned when he came to me. He looks around as if he is searching for something before handing over me a sunflower that he was hiding in his back. How does he know that I like sunflowers?

"Don't think of something else. I just picked it from the ground, and it would be a waste to throw it in the garbage."

I am dumbfounded. Is this really happening? I cannot say a thing.

My dumb self accepted the flower, but the next thing I did not expect he would do is when he leans forward close enough to have met our eyes. It is only an inch apart before our nose touches.

I am blushing, and I cannot look straight into his eyes. Is he going to kiss me? That's impossible.

He smirks, but then, little chuckles escaped his lips as he tries not to laugh.

"Happy Valentine's Day," he said and left.

I was astounded at that moment. All I have in my mind is, "Thank you, my Valentine."

0