Chapter VIII: Goldeneye
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Who did this to her?” Asked Erving Goldeneye, the captain of the Phoenix. “Who angered her?” He was strangely calm. The ship stopped burning by the time her captain got close to her. She wasn't damaged much, except for the sails, the painting turned black. She was groaning and whimpering like a wounded dragon.

“It was an accident cap'n.” Replied Hibe. “We didn't mean to. You know how hot tempered she can be.” She tried to explain.

I'm afraid it was me captain. You have my sincere apologies.” Confessed Dufrig. His party was standing behind him, feeling guilty and ashamed. The giant prince was standing next to Nolgrek who came along with some of his own soldiers. Maruth was there as well and the rest of the ship crew too.

Goldeneye smiled, then laughed loudly. “Well, I think she's very intimidated by your size.”

Dufrig sighed in relief and so did his party.

“What are the news of Eefran? Is your niece safe as the witch claimed my lord?” Vyrgal inquired of Nolgrek.

“All was true. Those fiends did try to besiege Zolciak. If it wasn't for the Vultures and Maruth we would've lost the castle and walked blindly to there trap. We were very lucky they were there.” Admitted the dwarf.

We owe you an apology lady witch.” Declared Wungrim.

Apology accepted, although being cautious is never a bad thing.” Maruth said amusingly. “Now, let us not waste time on good manners. We need to leave now. You need to decide who of you is going to accompany us to the west.”

Ay, we are running out of time.” Affirmed Goldeneye. “Trixter! Tolk! You two will stay here and help these poor people resist those invaders as long as you can.” He ordered, before pulling them aside to talk to them privately. “In no way you are to die here. It's an order. We will need you at the very end of this madness. Trixter, you can let Tolk go berserk as much as he wishes if it is necessary. Remember, God will drown us all one day, but death isn't allowed on dry land. Make me proud children.” The two wizards nodded and fist bumped each other. Trixter was smiling, not anxious not shy, he was confidently smiling. Meanwhile, Nolgrek was telling his kin and giant friends what happened and what they planned back in Eefree with the Vultures.

“Zion owns some unique powerful stone and according to Goldeneye and Maruth, the only way to defeat him would be this stone's sister. Some of their allies are already looking for it, but they will need some help. I cannot go with them, for I have things to look after here. I also need to lead our people in war.” Informed them the dwarf. “Listen my friends, none of you is obliged to go...”

“I will go.” Declared Wungrim interrupting his prince.

We're going as well.” Added Ubba and Vigo, the two were brothers, young and hungry for adventures.

Can I join them father?” Myga asked his giant father. Dufrig hesitated for an instant then nodded in agreement. His son was ready to prove his worth and this quest might as well be what the young giant needs.

“Have you decided yet?” Asked Maruth who walked towards Nolgrek.

Yes. Myga, Wungrim, Ubba and Vigo will go with you. They're strong and honourable warriors.” The dwarf declared, while the four advanced, proud and ready.

“I do not doubt that.” Agreed the witch smiling. “Cap'n, we’re ready.”

Erving Goldeneye was talking to the ship, helping her heal. He was a tall and strong man, with curly chestnut hair, his left eye was golden the other dark. And every time he spoke, his voice seemed old and full of secrets.

“Is she ready cap'n?” Inquired a female dwarf from the crew. She was dressed in leather, her bow hanged on her back.

“She is my child. We shall sail before sunset." Affirmed the captain. “All hands aboard the Phoenix!” He yelled. His crew of ten people excluding Trixter and Tolk, embarked the ship and each one of them ran to his specific duty aboard the ship.

“It is time.” Said Nolgrek.

Go my friends. May the blessings of our all father Brymhel be with you. Victory is nigh but the way is long and rough. Now is the time to show the strength of stone and iron flesh we’re made of.” Added Dufrig in that same deep and old voice.

Myga and the three dwarves said their goodbyes to their friends and lords, and walked towards Erving Goldeneye. He was still talking to Trixter and Tolk, before hugging both. The two wizards joined Dufrig and Nolgrek and the rest of the dwarves.

“Child, let them aboard peacefully.” Said the captain, putting his hand on the ship's keel. He then embarked the Phoenix.

Myga stood in front of the gangplank, turned to look at his father who nodded at him.

“Come on child.” Invited him Goldeneye with a smile on his face.

He stepped cautiously on the plank, remembering what happened earlier with his father. This time the ship was silent. That's a good sign I guess. He thought. The young giant was followed by Wungrim and the two siblings, who were just as intimidated as Myga.

Welcome aboard!” Greeted them Hibe. “I hope none of you is seasick.”

“Maruth my child, get us out of these sands.” Ordered the Vultures captain. “You might want to hold onto something my children. Maruth will levitate the ship.” He advised the giant and the dwarves.

“Row, row, row, beware the waters bellow, grip tight child of sorrow or down you sink, down you go where all hopes shrink. Row, row, row, steady and slow, hoist the sails of God's boat. Heave-ho! Break the waves and let it float! Row, row, row, we are sailing beyond every woe for death comes on the morrow.” Chanted a man from the crew and playing on his mandola, while the giant and his companions listened.

Hibe! Keep this!” Trixter threw one of his stones to the young woman who caught it. “You might need the sword. Do not lose my stone! Maruth can help you with it.”

Thank you little prick!" She smiled at him. “Don't die.”

He smiled back and bowed his head.

Maruth walked to the ship's prow. “Hold tight!” She yelled.

Myga and the dwarves were holding onto the main mast, confused and intimidated.
“Phoenix, if you may.” Maruth was holding a pink stone in her left hand. The ship groaned in what seemed to be an agreement, beneath their feet. The witch chanted a spell and dust burst out of the jewel to cover the entire ship and everyone in it. “Up we go!

Suddenly, Myga felt light and floating, everyone was floating and so was the vessel. Maruth was controlling the ship, she rotated her so that the bowsprit would face the horizon. The ship floated in the air for a while until they got above deeper water, Maruth seemed to carry the weight of everything. She was sweating and grinding her teeth. She was trying her best to set them on the water gently but she couldn't hold any longer. The ship fell violently and danced left and right, before resting calm.

Myga was face down, he hit his nose during the impact, the dwarves laid next to him, cursing and struggling to stand on their feet. The crew weren't as surprised as their guests, but some of them were unhappy as well. Goldeneye was laughing.

My bad. I can't move her on my own, usually Trixter and Tolk help me levitate her off land. She's very heavy. Sorry.” She apologized while helping Wungrim stand up, his injuries were still fresh. “You're bleeding!”

It's not you. Injuries from the battle of Watergul. We tried to tend to them as fast as we could in order to move faster. Most of us were planning to finish the work once we reach Zolciak, before knowing the castle was also besieged.” The dwarf lifted his pants, his right leg was soaked in blood. It was tingling and stinging him.

“Hood! We need you here!” The witch called out to the man who was singing earlier. He stood up from his barrel and walked towards them in drunk steps, still holding his instrument in his hands.

How can I be of use love?” He asked before noticing the dwarf's injured leg. “Oh heavens!” He looked away with disgust. “There's blood!”

Oh you noticed?” Replied Maruth sarcastically. “Look after his leg and quit your comedy.”

The man smiled, he had two golden teeth and a silver one. His beard was short and shaved on the sides. “I'm only joking sweetheart!” He leaned and tried to kiss Maruth on her cheek, she pushed him away and went to see her captain.

I'm Hood! Pleased to have you on board.” He shook Wungrim's hand, and then the other's. “Please sit down love.” He asked of the dwarf, who did so. He then seated himself, put his mandola next to him, lifted the dwarf's injured leg gently and put it on his lap.
Hmm, that's a nice and clean cut.” He murmured while examining the wound. His small eyes narrowed even more, his fingers circled gently around the wound. “Not too deep. I can fix you up quickly.” He said smiling. “These fingers can do three things like no other, play music, sew a wound and... well... women.” He laughed and snorted while Wungrim and his companions looked at him in discomfort. He coughed and reached for his shoulder leather bag. He pulled a jar out of it, opened it and licked his fingers. “Western honey, the best! Very good for cleaning the wound. This, my friend" He said while pointing at the dwarf's injury. “This small wound can kill you, if it's not cleaned, and honey is what you need love. It will also help with biding it.” He noticed how unamused the dwarves and the giants were. They were staring at him, waiting for him to finish his unnecessary speech. Hood grabbed a tube from his bag and a piece of dressing where he put the honey. He took his needle and a thread to stitch the wound before covering it with more bandages that he soaked in his ale.

You're good to go now, although you might need to go easy on it love. You need to keep it clean.” He stood up and helped Wungrim stand up as well. The man noticed Myga's nose as well. “Want me to fix that for you as well?” He asked him.

It's nothing. Thank you.” The giant wiped his bleeding nose.

“Hoist the sails! The wind is in our favour. Let's get this jewel!” Commanded the captain who was standing.

The vessel gently bent to the left, tacking her way through the deep waters. Myga stood at the right beam ends of the ship, staring vaguely at his motherland he left behind him.

Do you think they will be fine?” He asked Wungrim who was standing next to the young giant.

Frankly my friend, I do not know.” The dwarf answered. “I do not know. My heart wonders if we will ever see them again. I already miss everyone.”

Do you trust these people?” Asked the giant.

If Nolgrek does, so will I. And what else can we do?” Wungrim turned to look at Goldeneye who was standing next to the helm, steering it gently. “He doesn't seem like a bad man, although he doesn't strike me as a good one either.” He added.

He doesn't strike me as a man.” Replied Myga firmly. “Don't you think it's odd? That a man would lead a crew with wizards in it. How can a normal man surpass a warlock. We've seen what they are capable of. How come is he captain?” The giant turned away. “She lifted this thing with nothing but a stone and muscles. How is he more powerful than that?” Myga was eyeing Maruth, who was amidship, talking to a female dwarf.

He is probably wiser. Leading isn't about lifting weight or mere brutes. For all we know, he might be a cunning man. Wits break down walls better than hammers. This man can sail ships and captain crews of thousands wizards better than anyone. Have you not heard the tales and the rumours about the Vultures?” Inquired the dwarf of the giant.

Haven't heard much, except how his eyes were unique.” Answered Myga.

“Well, those eyes have seen hell itself, if we are to believe the rumours.” Wungrim carried on, while Myga listened carefully. “There was a rumour about their vessel being unsinkable, with no match to her speed or strength in all the oceans of the world. We already know she's alive, the rumours didn't do her justice.” The dwarf chuckled.

What's so funny Wungrim?” Asked Myga.

“People spoke of a demonic crew led by a creature from some cursed land.” He said jokingly. “Look at them, they're absurdly normal, almost bland. The only demonic thing about them might be the ship, other than that, they look normal, strong but normal.”

“Hoist the western colours!” Commanded Goldeneye. “Let us not attract unwanted trouble for once.”

A man from the crew ran to pull down the Phoenix emblem. He folded the flag and pulled another from a box next to the mainmast. He lifted up a flag with a dragon embroidered in it, the banner of the kingdom of Leidir.

The waves crept steadily towards them, murmuring their timeless chant underneath the proud ship, cleaving her path rhythmically through. The crew sailed between the giant blues of sky and ocean, undisturbed and determined. The sky began to dress in golden orange and pale pink with the setting sun, when Erving Goldeneye went to his cabin. Maruth sat on a barrel in front of his door.

Why do you think is she guarding the cabin?” Inquired Vigo of Ubba. The two dwarves were drinking on the bow.

“I don't know...” Replied his brother.

No one does, except her and Trixter.” Answered the female dwarf who overheard them. “And they swore to keep their secret for themselves and we swore to never ask.”

“Excuse our curiosity lady...” Said Viggo, unaware of the dwarf name.

“The name is Brymhel.” She acquainted amusingly. “I share our allfather name.”

“You must be very lucky then.” Said Ubba. “If you don't mind and you might tell us if you do, how come a Brymhel heir is sailing with such a notorious pirate crew?”

“Not at all, but the Vultures aren't pirates. We're people of sea with our own laws if that makes sense to you.” Her short bow was still hanging on her back. “My parents sailed with Goldeneye, and my grandparents before them.”

This can’t be true.” Declared Vigo in amazement. “Goldeneye can't live that long.”

“Are you calling me liar?” She asked.

He is a man, not even wizards can outlive two generations of dwarves. How is this possible?” Vigo was disturbed and didn't hide it.

Yet he did. How? That I can't answer, but ask anyone here and they will tell you almost the same thing. Most of us were born on the ship.” Brymhel left the two dwarves in their confusion.

I told you, wicked.” Said Ubba before finishing his drink.

Myga was seated next to Wungrim, listening to Hood singing on the quarter deck.

Oooooh cold is the water, but my heart is warm! Hands on ropes and strings, ooooh and I left my springs, for the waves and their charm, but wait for me I shall see you after, oooooh after I sail the timeless seas.” The sailor sang cheerfully.

Hibe was tapping her feet, swinging her head slightly and began singing along “Oooooh ice and snow won't slow me, for whisper tales of summer rock my boat, ooooooh and I shall see you again!” Hibe clapped happily when Myga interrupted her.

Excuse me lady witch, how long will it take us to reach destination?” He asked.

On a normal ship, a trip like this lasts fifteen to twenty days if the wind and the stream is on our favour.” She replied with that same enthusiastic tone she always had. “But with our Phoenix we can make it in seven days, whether the wind allows it or not.”

“Thank you lady.” Myga bowed his head gratefully.

Call me Hibe, sweet giant.” She said.

Only if you call me Myga.” The young giant smiled.

By that time, the sun casted its final and faint rays upon the blushing sky, kissing the horizon goodbye with the promise of a warm dawn.

0