Chapter IX: The Alliance
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Where are you? Talk to me now! You knew about this! You used me once again! Show me your face!

The battlefield was a chaotic symphony, steel whistled, cries and groans chanted pain and anger, whilst hooves and footsteps played drums on the bloody grounds. The air was heavy and every breath was deeper than the one before it. The front flank of both armies advanced and met each other in their slaughter. Valkai fought each other for their kings' greed and dominion. The right flank of Sahr I led, waited for my signal to advance and I waited for Reynar's, who stood proudly in front of the second wave of the middle flank.

Where are you? The deity answered that day, with death and mischief. It was too late to do anything against the allied Sahr. I had to swim with the stream. I nodded at the soldier holding the signal flags and he raised and waved a blue one.

On the other side of the army, I saw a blue flag flying in answer to ours. Edward's army raised two as well.

Here it comes. I remember thinking. The first march of Sahr. Although I failed to see it coming, I somehow felt proud. I might not have taught Edward's Sahr magic, but I knew someone of my own kin did. My kin left their meaningless and boring life to find a purpose. I ignored their motive, but they challenged our curse and dared the laws. We made the wizards, we gave them power and I tried to find solace and pride in that.

The left flank advanced first, to meet the Sahr of Edward's army. Both kings didn't know about the alliance, they both thought they were going to witness a magical war, when both enemy flanks merged into one and stood still in the middle of it all, facing the slaughtering of Valkai. Confusion rose in both sides, when Reynar gave me the signal to march as well.

“Now!” I yelled.

The right flank I was leading forged on and I was ahead of it. To end this war and start a new one. The Titan king's army moved ahead to meet us, led by the tallest Sahr I have ever seen. He dismounted his white horse and pulled it from its lead.

Prince Grigori.” He said when met each other. “Sahr will not fight each other. We're under your command.” He took off his helmet and we shook hands.

We will stand as one. We will not interfere with their little quarrel. King Reynar... My father will take some time to realize what is happening.” I replied.

What do we do if they decide to fight us?” Asked the soldier I talked to earlier.

We fight back!” Answered the tall Sahr. “We will show them how they are no match to us.”

Bad, this is bad. Maybe if I sooth him to think otherwise. No, it is inevitable. I can't sooth an entire army. I thought. “Fighting will do us no good. We need so send emissaries to the kings.” I demurred.

The tall sahr looked at me in distrust. Even this alliance isn't that strong. I thought. Seeds of doubt aren't easily reaped.

“I think that is wiser. Fighting should be our last resort.” He finally agreed. “I shall go talk to King Edward, you decide who will go speak to your father.” He mounted his horse and left after whipping it and urging it into a fast trotting.

“I will go speak to king Reynar. You're in charge until I come back." I ordered the young sahr soldier then mounted Grigori's mar and left. When I reached Reynar, he dismounted his enormous mar, angry and confused.

What in the damned worlds are you doing? What is going on?” He asked furiously.

My liege... father... Sahr will not fight. Neither will I.” I answered hesitantly.

What do you mean you won't fight?” The king rushed towards me with fiery eyes. “Careful now. You might be my son but treason I will not stand.”

“This is not treason, father. Sahr will not fight Valkai. We're not kindred anymore. You can fight Edward, but we will not interfere.” I hurled back.

On the other side of the battlefield, tumult rose up. I saw Edward dismount, and grab the tall Sahr by the throat. This is not good. I thought.

When the sahr broke free of the king's grip, he pulled a stone and used it against Edward. A yellow light hissed out of the magical jewel and pierced the titan like an arrow through the heart. Edward froze in his stature, sword in his hand. The Sahr swirled his blade, beheading the king. And before anyone could do anything or realize what was happening, the Sahr emissary held King Edward's head and tossed it in the air towards his army. He then rod back to the flank, leaving behind him a leaderless and confused army of Valkai.

Both middle flanks that fought each other froze in bafflement. “The king is dead!" You heard them cry. “The Titan has fallen!”

What have you done you fool? I thought.

Indeed. We are not kindred anymore Grigori. I did not father a turncloak. You brought ruin upon you.” King Reynar looked at me, thrilled with war fever, he mounted his mar and cried as loud as he could. “Valkai of the south! Follow me! Follow me to justice! Death comes tomorrow!”

I remember rushing back to the right flank on Grigori’s mar. The soldier I left in charge was puzzled.

What have you done?” I asked the tall Sahr.

“I just put an end to this war.” He replied confidently.

Is that what you think?” I felt anger eating me inside. “You fool! You didn't end anything! You made it worse for Sahr to walk away from this tangled ground. Tell me how are you going to deal with his soldiers?”

We will slaughter every single one of them if they dare fight us!” He answered.

When Reynar joined his middle flank along with the rest of his army, Edward's Valkai fell back and withdrew. He then rode alone and confidently towards them.

Valkai! Hold your grounds! Stand!” He yelled at them, passing by Edward's lifeless body. “I am not your enemy! Why should we be fighting each other? If it is my kingdom you want you can take it! For years we have shared this good earth and we can keep doing so! In peace! Your king is dead! And he wasn't killed by a Valkai!” He turned, looking for me, his son. His eyes locked on me and I felt his sadness. He pulled his long axe and pointed at where I stood. “They did! Sahr murdered him! Now you decide on who your enemy is! Will you fight for land or fight for vengeance!?”

Edward's army who were falling back in fright and despair, gathered once more, confident and angry.

Ride with me and avenge the fallen Titan! And above all else, avenge our kin!” He cried and many answered his call.

I remember feeling frightened and for once in a long time I feared for my life, and it thrilled me.

My prince! What should we do?” The young sahr asked me. They all reeked of fear. They're still not aware they're stronger. They're not aware they already won this battle.

I remember feeling oddly satisfied and alive, I spread my arms and cried “YOU CAN STAY WHERE YOU ARE! YOU CAN KEEP HIDING FROM ME! JUST REMEMBER! I WILL BE RULING OVER YOUR SHEEP AND BE THEIR GOD!” I laughed hysterically. “WE WILL SLAUGHTER YOUR VALKAI! WE WILL BRING THEM BACK TO THE SOIL AND FEED THE EARTH WITH THEIR FLESH! I WILL COME FOR YOU ONE DAY!”

Reynar's army assembled behind him like a great wave guided by sheer force.

SAHR! BEHIND ME! FORM RANKS!” I yelled. “You! Give me your names!” I ordered the two sahr I talked to earlier.

My prince are you alright?” The young one asked.

“I have never been better! I am not Grigori!” I shapeshifted into my Veer form. “I am Doom!”

The young wizard fell in fright unlike the tall one who advanced towards me.

You are like Erving! Where is the prince? What have you done to him?” He inquired.

So it was Erving who taught you falak. I'm glad that merchant of cheap dreams is not out of business.” I spread my wings and I saw my shadow covering the tall Sahr. “I am Mahavhar and I will take you to glory. You still haven’t given me your name.”

I am Salem. You still didn’t answer my question, what have you done to Grigori?” He asked once more.

“I killed him. Now is not the time for storytelling . If you survive this battle, I can tell you about your prince and more.” I said.

He looked at me in disbelief and confusion. The other soldier was still laying on the ground and shaking in fear. Salem grab the other Sahr and shook him by the shoulders. “Get a hold of yourself Sheshonq. First we survive this, then we deal with him.”

Are you done whimpering? They are coming!” I yelled at them.

FORM RANKS!” Ordered Sheshonq.

Shields! And brace yourselves!” added Salem.

The Sahr grabbed their stones in one hand, each one of them chanted their own spells, different coloured shields appeared in front of every one of them. On their other hands they held their weapons tightly. Waiting for their leaders commands.

Raise the red flag! ADVANCE!” I yelled and flew above them.
Sheshonq did as I ordered, the left flank answered the call. And from the skies I saw them march to meet Reynar and his thousands warriors. They were surrounded by all kind of colours rising from the wizards’ stones. It was a beautiful sight, the kind of beauty you hate to see, for you know it can’t be right. Never did death look so mesmerizing.

I know you’re watching and I know you only used me to reach this, but I am not mad at you. Not this time. On the contrary, I am grateful. God, you gave me a purpose after all and now my desire of seeing you is stronger than ever.

When the troops met each others, they merged into a chaotic flow. It sounded like irony waterfalls. I saw many Valkai fall instantly, but so did many Sahr. The wizards were vulnerable in close ranged combat. Their shields were strong but the Valkai's steel was strangely stronger, or was it their grudge? I couldn’t tell. The left flank was doing better at first, and the battle I thought was easily won took another turn.
They’re strong as well. So far, they’re even. This is not right. I thought. I have to do something. I flew above the troops and looked for Reynar desperately. If I take the king’s life, things might be easier.

It was then, when I decided to kill Reynar that I heard that voice. A voice inside of me.

Why are you doing this?” The voice asked me. “Are you enjoying this slaughtering? This bloodshed is fruitless. You’re breeding hatred and violence in every single soul beneath you, and you know God will not interfere with this. Even if they kill each other to the very last, even when no soul remains on earth, the Deity will only make stronger beings and curse you again for your deed. Are you willing to pay once again? Are you ready to go through the same meaningless life?"

“Who are you?” I remember looking around me. Searching for whoever was talking. My wings started to shake and so did my hands. The voice sounded familiar. I am scared. Because I somehow knew I was looking for nobody.

“I am you. I am everyone. I am the trees. I am the soil and the wind. I am everything for I am you and everything you see is you. I am you and everything you do is what makes me. And you already know that.” The voice echoed in my head, it seemed like it covered everything around and inside me.

I held my head and felt dizzy. The voice was deafening. “Am I going mad? Stop this. Shut up.”

You know this is wrong. End this. You are not a tyrant.” The voice insisted.

ENOUGH!!!!!!!” I screamed so hard that the battle underneath me halted. “Shut up!"

Make it right.” The voice said, louder this time.

Shut up! Please! Enough!” I begged.

“End this or I will haunt your thoughts forever. You know it. You will never know peace if you don’t give them theirs. You are not evil, you never were and never will be. You know it... I am not. I am not evil. I should end this.” The voice soon became recognizable. I am not evil.

When I snapped out of my inner conflict, I was still shaking and flailing around. I was tired.
What have I done? How did it come to this?” I felt sad. “Marid.” And angry. “He started this.” With what was left of the strength I had, I flew higher in the skies, quivering my wings. “And I shall end it and make it right!” I dived rapidly and vigorously. I landed aggressively in the battlefield, right between King Reynar and Salem, who were charging at each other. The flapping of my wings drove them away and all who were slightly close to me, with their arms protecting their eyes from the flying sand.

It’s over.” I said firmly. “There will be no more of this. This war end now.”

0