Chapter 1: The Forbidden Land
547 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.


Wooo this is finally started!
CW-ride put in emergency mode

CW-food mentioned

If I miss a content warning please tell be so I can add it.

Disnomia Pagodin and her parents, Albus and Patsy Pagodin were on a flight from Maine to Arizona. Their eventual destination the city of Gilded Springs for Disnomia’s 10th birthday. Gilded Springs is a huge magical city, and home of the first public magics school, The Academy of Forbidden Magics. A school Disnomia has an interview for on her birthday the 26th.

They finally arrive in Gilded Springs after midnight on August 24th 2020, exhausted from the travel and minor lack of sleep. They barely paid note of the floating streetlamps on their way to their motel. Disnomia did pay more attention and bounce on her feet slightly in excitement at the magic light fixtures floating over the posts, there was nothing like that where they lived. Her parents crash on one bed, and she on the other, not even changing into pajamas.

Disnomia wakes first at 6:00 out of excitement. Not having slept enough she lays in bed for about an hour, then gives up and starts getting ready. She grabs clothes for the day and her toiletries bag, then heads to the bathroom. On she puts her t-shirt, and jean shorts, expecting it to be very hot. She brushes her wavy black hair and appraises how it looks in the mirror, framing her face down past her shoulders, and cut into bangs over her forehead.

Back outside her parents have awoke and started getting ready. Both with black hair, her dad’s cut short, and her mum’s long down her back. Her mum is being practical for visiting the amusement park in the heat today, also in a t-shirt and jean shorts, her dad not so much. He looks rather silly next to them in a button down shirt and slacks, refusing to buy clothes just for this trip.

Patsy: Morning Dis, are you ready for today?

Albus: Morning.

Disnomia: Am I? I’ve only been waiting months to be here, let’s go!

Patsy: Wait a second. I can excuse not showering for today, but I know you didn’t brush your teeth, get back in there while I pack a bag with the water and snacks we brought.

Disnomia: fine.

Albus: Is everyone ready?

Disnomia, Patsy: Yes.

Albus opens the door and they walk out into the scorching heat.

Disnomia: This was a mistake let’s go back inside.

Patsy: Ya are you sure you want to goto school here? /s

Albus: Come on you wimps it’s not that bad, let’s get some fans or something at a store.

Patsy: I’m sure the park will sell those little mister fans. They might be expensive but so would a tourist store that has them.

Albus: You’re right, let’s be off then.

They walk to the bus stop near the motel and get a ride to the park, checking they have their tickets they printed out earlier at home, and their pack of food and water. Barely taking in the sights of the city as they passed by, out of excitement. Vaguely noticing the street lamps are off but still floating, stopping that everyday must be more difficult than letting them float.

Arriving at the park the first thing they see is the tall observation deck ride, which is supposed to give a great view of the city and surrounding desert. Followed by the entrance with the ticket booth, and the great sign that says The Forbidden Land in an old school font, and a long line flowing out of it.

After waiting in line patiently in excitement for a while, bouncing on her feet on and off Disnomia is startled by another kid getting her attention.

Kid: Hey is it your first time at the Forbidden Land?

Disnomia shyly draws back a little and looks at her parents unsure.

Patsy: It’s alright Dis, say hi to them sweety.

Disnomia: H-Hi, I’m Disnomia and these are my parents… This is my first time here. (she gives a small smile) What’s your name?

Charlie: I’m Charlie, this is my second time here. My parents sent me some money so I could go during break.

Charlie was wearing jeans somehow, and a t-shirt, he wears glasses and has orange unruly hair.

British voice: Don’t forget about me.

Charlie: Oh, and he is professor Ashen. He’s my chaperon.

But there was no one else too near Charlie to see, except, a wolf?

Ashen: If you’re going to introduce me you could explain I’m a werewolf, look at how confused they are.

Ashen looks about how you’d expect a wolf to, shades of grey, some black, yellow eyes, and quite large for a canine.

Albus: Oh one of my clients was a werewolf. Though not as far along as you, he used magics to talk too. It’s nice to meet you professor… Um do you shake?

Ashen: Do I shake? Losing his focus he gave what must be the sound of a wolf laughing from his physical mouth, be sure not to phrase it like that to every werewolf you meet, better to just offer. And please don’t talk about how far along a werewolf is, it’s rude. Yes, I do shake, don’t pet me without asking though. It’s nice to meet you…?

Albus while shaking his paw: Albus Pagodin, my wife Patsy, and our daughter Disnomia.

Patsy: It’s nice to meet you, as well as Charlie. You must teach at the school Dis wants to goto then?

Ashen: I teach basic magics at the Academy of Forbidden Magics. You must be the prospective student Alcaster is going to interview for short notice eligibility this year. It’s very nice to meet you Disnomia.

Disnomia: It’s um… It’s nice to meet you too Professor Ashen.

She looks to her parents then back at him.

Ashen: You want to pet me don’t you? It’s alright, go ahead, but just this once.

Charlie: Lucky, no one ever gets to pet him.

Disnomia scratches behind his ear while he pants happily. His fur is surprisingly soft and fluffy. Then she withdraws before it becomes too awkward when she remembers she’s petting a human, sort of.

Ashen: Now to business. I’m sure Charlie would like someone else to play with as I can’t ride most of the rides. Disnomia, would you and your family like to join us?

Disnomia already reassured by her parents: Yes. I would love to.

Charlie: Awesome, oh sweet we’re next.

They all turned in their tickets and got wristbands, Ashen giving the workers a death glare that says “Do not try to put that around my neck.” They opted to inform security there’s a werewolf chaperon in the park instead as it would have problems staying on one of his ankles. Finally entering the park...

Charlie: I have a whole plan of my favorite rides if you want.

Disnomia: That sounds good, let’s get a path from the expert.

Charlie: Then we’re going straight for the moon experience.

Disnomia: I saw that one on the website, let’s go!

Disnomia and Charlie started running, forgetting their adults.

Patsy: Hey kids wait up for us. We’re watching you, plus we wana ride this one too.

Disnomia: Sorry, lead the way slowly please Charlie.

She sticks her tongue out at him.

Arriving at the large hemisphere that is the outside of the ride, with an even larger one next to it.

Charlie: Aww the Mars experience is still under construction. I was hoping it would be done by now. Anyway let’s get in line for the Moon experience.

After waiting like 40 minutes, not entirely boring thanks to conversation about the ride, and moon themed sites and announcements to hype you up for the ride, they were at the front of the line waiting their turn.

Operator: Alright if all of you would put on these space suits, don’t worry we have one for you too professor, people really like to bring dogs in here for some reason. Remember these are magically reinforced, but this ride can still be dangerous, you will be in an actual vacuum, with actual equivalent moon gravity.

Refrain from sudden movements, or running to prevent falls. If your suit develops a leak do not panic, an operator will come in a buggy to bring you outside. If the leak is severe or you have broken your helmet, breath all the way out immediately while the dome opens to emergency vent air in.

Alright I certify you all astronauts, in the airlock you go.

Disnomia is quite freaked out at the long safety speech, as are her parents. They apprehensively follow Charlie and Ashen who seem unperturbed.

The experience was amazing, it really did look and feel like being on the moon, at least as close as anyone could tell, there was even earth in the fake distance. For all of 5 minutes anyway. While they were getting a speech near a lunar lander replica, there was a very quiet thump through the ground into their suits. Alarms started flashing and blaring in the room, and in their suit radios. The fake sky and moon gravity having turned off as the dome opened with a massive rush of air.

A voice was telling them to stay still while an operator comes in on a buggy to get everyone out, while Disnomia hugs her parents for comfort not really paying attention. A buggy eventually picking them up.

Operator: Hello I’m Cheryl, don’t worry no one is seriously hurt. Some teenagers decided to prank their friend by increasing the gravity under them higher than earth’s while they were mid jump. They landed hard and cracked their helmet open. There are day vouchers for the park for this incident in the container in back with you, we do invite you to experience the other attractions, this one will be closed for the rest of the day. Here’s our stop, pass through the airlock, return your suits, and enjoy the park.

Patsy: Is everyone all right?

Charlie: Aww man, I love that ri...

Announcement: Reminder that magics is not to be used on rides except by operators or to aid disabilities. Anyone that harms the operation of a ride with magics will be banned from the park.

Patsy: Wow they work fast. Oh Dis, are you ok to go on another ride?

Disnomia (visibly shaken): I think so, It was just scary with the alarms and the very loud rush of air as the roof opened.

Ashen: Charlie, why don’t you show us something more laid back to catch our nerves.

Charlie: We could do the observation deck, as long as none of you are scared of heights. (He looks down worried after the first ride of the day went poorly)

Disnomia (apprehensive but sure): That sounds fun. We might have to leave my dad at the bottom. (Whispered) He’s a scaredy cat.

Albus: I’m right here I heard you.

Disnomia: I don’t hear you fighting it.

Albus: Show the way, I’ll ride this thing!

Charlie: Follow me.

Albus: Um it looks a lot taller from the base.

Disnomia: Are you backing out?

Patsy: You’ll never hear the end of it if you do.

Disnomia sticks her tongue out mockingly.

Albus: Let’s do this.

Ashen: Well we have to wait in line first, it’s worth it though. The view is most excellent.

While the five waited in line Albus grew more anxious at what he’d agreed to. Almost considering backing out to the last second till they were in, where he stayed pressed against the back wall while the ride ascended.

Disnomia slowly wiggling a little: Wow this is amazing.

Patsy: Albus come look.

Albus: I can see plenty from here thanks.

Charlie and Ashen pointed out various things of interest, like the old church from the cities’ founding as a small town, and the Arcane Institute, the next stopping point for many graduates of the Academy, though more like an extension of the research side of the Academy in operation.

Their stay at the park continued much like this, with no more interruptions like in the moon experience. They rode things like the log flume, scrambler, and levi-cups. Of particular note was the invisible roller coaster, and the gravity fun house. By the end of the day they had depleted most of their water, and all of their snacks.

Finally they got ice cream in the frozen parlor on silver street, where they said their farewells.

Charlie: It was nice meeting you, I’m glad I had someone other than the professor to play with.

Ashen: Likewise I enjoyed your company.

Patsy: We’ll have to do something again sometime, what do you think Albus and Dis?

Albus: I would like that, I had a great time talking with you about werewolves Ashen. Thank you for being so open with me.

Ashen: I wasn’t that open, but you’re welcome. It was enjoyable to educate someone so interested.

Disnomia: Yes, though I’ll see both of you at school in a few months if I’m accepted right?

Charlie: I’ll be in my second year so you’ll only see me outside classes, but ya, and Professor Ashen teaches the lower years so you’ll see him a lot.

Ashen: Now we must be going, farewell Albus, Patsy, and Disnomia.

Albus, Patsy, Disnomia (Not necessarily at once): Goodbye.

Charlie: See you later.

Stepping out of the park they realize they forgot to buy fans as the waning heat hits them as they leave the magically cooled park. Lamenting their forgetfulness while waiting for the bus back to the motel.

Back inside where they can think

Patsy: So how was your day?

Disnomia: That was great, thank you so much for bringing me here, you too dad.

Patsy: Now sweety, it’s time to shower and then rest so you can be fresh for seeing the city tomorrow. Looks like we’ll have to get fans or some other cooling solution from a tourist shop anyway.

One by one they showered and watched what they could find on the TV before going to bed, mostly they watched cartoons.

 

This is mostly introducing characters and fluff, but don't worry we'll get to some more direct magics in the next one. Still more fluff though.

5