Chapter 2: Gilded Springs
303 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.


Woo I'm so happy to have finished another chapter!. No content warnings that I know of.

If I ever miss any content warning please tell me so I can add them.

Exhausted from yesterday no excitement could wake Disnomia early, in fact her parents woke around 8:00, and she not until around 10:00.

Disnomia: ugh, hey what time is it?

Albus: It’s almost ten, your mom is out to get us air conditioning jackets from this store called Crystal Dreams.

Disnomia: Crystal what?

Albus: It’s a magic store we found online while you were asleep. They’re supposed to have cursed clothes that keep you cold, we think. Their website looks like an abomination from the 90s.

Disnomia: Wow that’s cool.

Albus: Hey you said it, not me.

Disnomia scrunches up her face in disappointment at the pun, while Patsy walks in with their jackets.

Patsy: Oh good morning Dis, here see how this fits.

Disnomia (smiling): Good morning, thank you.

She tries on the jacket and it fits pretty well, but it’s only making her slightly cooler.

Disnomia: Why do I only feel a little cooler?

Albus: Because you can only be so cool.

Disnomia, Patsy: ugh.

Patsy: Anyway I was getting to that, the description reads:

“This jacket has been cursed to maintain about 24C on the inside, while excess heat is vented to the outside of the back. Remember to give it an hour of sun once a week or charge its magic battery yourself if you can. If you fail to do so the curse will run out of power and break.”

Patsy: It’s only a little warmer than that in here, so the jacket won’t do much.

Disnomia: I see. I’ll go get ready then.

While Disnomia was getting ready in the bathroom, she could still hear her parents.

Albus: How does the jacket moving heat to its back cool you off, won’t that just concentrate heat there?

Patsy: Hmm, put yours on.

Albus does as instructed and patsy feels his back, a slight breeze starting to blow off it. She also noted the back as thicker, probably to insulate from the heat better.

Patsy: Ah, it seems to make a breeze to bring heat away from it as well.

Albus: Well all right then.

Disnomia finished getting ready soon after, today wearing a t-shirt and skirt. She appraised how cute she looks with the slightly baggy jacket and left the bathroom ready to see the city properly.

Disnomia: Are we all ready?

Albus: We should be, let me just check the food and water pack real quick. Yep we’re good, let’s goooo.

Patsy: Someone’s excited.

Albus: All this magics stuff is really cool, I might need to change professions.

Patsy: Maybe Dis can teach you magics once she’s in school. /s

Disnomia: Come on let’s go.

Albus (at the door): Ya mom let’s go.

Albus: Oh wow the jacket does work, this is so much nicer than yesterday.

Patsy: You said it wasn’t that bad you liar… Wow heat is already coming off your back, let’s not stand behind each other.

Disnomia: Good call, these jackets don’t do much for our faces ugh.

With that they were off to the nearest and least exciting thing for the day. The original wooden church built with the town in 1902.

On the way they passed an eclectic mix of building styles, ranging from the early 1900s to the early 2000s, there were even 1 or 2 fully modern style buildings under construction. There were also many clearly magical buildings that followed their own trends depending on the era they were built.

Things they noted is at one point floating towers were common, at another point grotesques that move around the building and eye people nearby. A probably more modern development is the weird holographic signs and banners everywhere, they act like cloth but look hard and plastic, while giving off light.

Startling the Pagodins, a grotesque landed in front of them, Disnomia grabbing her mum’s hand before realizing it’s fine. It was just offering an advertisement for a magics show at the Grand Mesa theater.

Disnomia: Can we go?

Albus: Ya this does sound pretty awesome.

Patsy: Let’s see, it would be, oh wow it would only be $60 for all 3 of us, ya let’s do it. We have plenty of time to see the city as well, it’s not till 20:00.

Albus and Disnomia high five while Patsy gives a smirk. She hasn't seen them bond quite like this before.

Finally they make it to the fairly boring looking church. It really is just an old weathered wooden church, brown in color, though with some remains of white paint it once had on the horizontal siding covering the outer walls, with dark wooden shingles, and a little bell tower they just heard chiming 11:00 a few minutes ago on the roof.

Albus: This is it?

Patsy: Hey don’t be rude, it’s cool a building like this still exists, especially with all this wonder around us.

Disnomia: I wana touch it.

Patsy (With a smirk): Well it’s still used, we can walk inside. No one is gonna stop you.

Disnomia walks in followed by her parents. Feeling the rough yet smooth split and aging grain of the wood. Smiling to herself.

The inside of the church is much like the outside, wooden, small, old. A podium at the front, pews for people to sit at, church stuff. There’s also some posters on the walls detailing church activities, and plaques on the wall from 1952 and 2002 commemorating 50 and 100 years respectively.

Satisfied with the church they move on to their next stop, The Gilded Museum of Magics. Thankful for their jackets as they step back out into the sunshine.

This walk is a bit of a trek, but they wanted plenty of time there, and the Arcane Institute would be on the way to the Grand Mesa Theater this way, according to the maps in their phones anyway.

About 2 hours later around 13:20 they arrived at the museum, and worth it the walk was. The absolutely astonishing building is made of some kind of shiny black bricks, lined with gold, a large silver dome on the roof.

Their trip is much longer, but we will only be checking in on the most noteworthy exhibits.

Our first stop, the wands of some of the first to attend the Academy of Forbidden Magics. Kindly donated after they died:

Frank Gilded’s plain stick

Arthur Pax’s knife

Minnie Mar’s pen

April Mar’s turned and engraved wand

and Alcart Nag’s doll

Albus: Interesting that so many things can be wands.

Disnomia: It says here that just about anything can be made into a wand, and they are glad this collection demonstrates this, while being parts of history.

Patsy: I don’t like that doll, it’s creepy.

Albus: You think all dolls are creepy. Come on Dis, let’s go before your mom wimps out. /s

Patsy slaps his arm affectionately as they goto the next exhibit.

Our next stop, a patch of silk grass, a single flower made of silver, and in the middle of the room, a tree made entirely of gold.

Albus: Holy shit.

Patsy: Language, but yes wow.

Disnomia just looks in wonder and wobbles her shoulders.

Albus: Let me read the plaque for us:

“These artifacts created by very old to ancient monks using magics are originals from the grounds the monastery part of the Academy of Forbidden Magics originally sat on in Italy, very kindly donated as part of international magics outreach. In return the Academy paid for the monastery and ship Alcaster and Nazzareno stole, and gave their original wands to a similar museum in Italy.”

Huh, uhhh, that was quite the unexpected history lesson. You’ll have to tell us about it when you learn about it in school sweety.

Patsy: If she gets in. She isn’t in yet, but I have high hopes.

Disnomia pulls on their arms to get their attentions.

Disnomia: I’d like to stay here a little while if that’s ok.

Patsy, Albus: Of course.

They all stood appreciating the artifacts, mostly the tree, for about half an hour.

Our next stop is a diorama of Gilded Springs as it was when it was a small gold mining and farming town. This diorama showing around 1910 specifically.

Disnomia: Aww it’s so cute, and look there’s the church we visited.

Albus: Ok fine the church is cool now that I see it in this context.

Patsy (with a mischievous smile): I told you soooooo.

Our final stop on the exhibits they saw is the original magical ship Alcaster And Nazzareno technically stole as well.

Disnomia: Oh wow it’s a floating ship. I wana read this one.

Albus: Go right ahead Dis.

Disnomia: Here I go:

“This is the cursed floating ship Alcaster and Nazzareno used to get back to Arizona after teleporting the monastery to the Academy of Forbidden Magics. It actually only floats over land, and requires a mage to propel it with magics. Unlike many curses you see in Gilded Springs which are solar powered, its curse is much older and requires a mage keep it powered. However its battery is huge and it can last a month just sitting idle like it is before you.”

Oh and it says here we can board it. But where do we do that.

Patsy: Dis right there, they have stairs up to it.

Disnomia: Ohhhh. How did I miss those.

Patsy and Albus smile in amusement.

They board the ship, which has guides to answer questions and watch people on it.

Albus: Oh wow this is so cool, but I am wondering why they didn’t just teleport themselves with the monastery?

Guide: Well you see you cannot teleport humans. It’s more complicated than that, but we don’t need to go into detail with children present. (Noting the other children in on the ship, not just Disnomia.)

Albus: Ah fair enough, thank you.

Guide: Of course, you’re welcome.

In the gift shop.

Disnomia: This mini gold tree is how much! Aww it’s so expensive.

Patsy: It can’t be… Oh, oh wow. I’m really sorry sweety but we can’t buy you that. Is there anything else you want in the gift shop?

Albus: Holy shit.

Patsy (With a shocked scowl): Albus.

Albus: Sorry.

Disnomia: I’d like to be able to see a gold tree again, but I did also really like the ship, it looks like this mini floating ship is only $20, ooo and it’s heat powered so you can keep it indoors easily.

Patsy: Done, at least we got you something to remember the museum by.

Outside the museum, while appreciating the building before they go to the Institute.

Patsy: Did everyone have a good time?

Albus: Oh yes, that was excellent. I would love to come here again sometime. Dis?

Disnomia (wiggling a little): I loved it, thank you both, you’re the best.

Patsy and Albus hug her while saying thanks.

Albus: Wow it’s already half past 17. We better get to the Institute if we wana see any of it and have time for the magics show.

Patsy: This way!

They make it to the Arcane Institute at 18:00, just in time for the last tour of the day.

Jesse: Hello I am your guide Jesse. Behind me you see the eclectic Arcane Institute. You may have seen some of the things developed here, like the banners on the buildings, and the remaining floating towers. Remaining because there were many accidents before those were perfected. Anyway on we go.

The tour turned out to be pretty boring and not have much of substance unless you like watching mages think. The only highlight being a demonstration of ripping matter from another dimension, the crowed assured there was nothing alive in this dimension to object. The point being to use it as a basically limitless resource for magics that need matter like extreme transformations. However right now it takes way too long to do to be practical, and only makes a small cube. It takes about a month as an excessively boring ritual to do once, praise the existence of automatons. They were lucky to be there to see it happen with a massive flash of light and a loud bang.

Back outside with half an hour to spare before the show.

Disnomia: I can’t believe I was excited for that, it was so boring.

Patsy: Ya I was expecting them to just show us flashy stuff without much purpose the whole time.

Albus: I guess they really are just a research institute haha. Now lets get to the Grand Mesa to hopefully still get good seats.

They had a very pretty walk to the theater with the floating streetlamps on, and the banners giving a soft glow.

10 minutes later. The Grand Mesa being one of the floating towers on another building, with a large set of pink lights under it, and pink lights at the very top too. It also had grotesques sitting idly on it to save power, the sun having set.

Albus: I was not expecting the Grand Mesa to be one of the floating towers on one of the buildings.

Disnomia: How do we even get in?

Patsy: Is this thing even safe, that guide said these have had accidents?

At that Disnomia froze up and looked at the tower apprehensively.

“Doorperson”: Hey easy, I’m Rick and all the towers still up are extremely safe, I would trust my family in one of these. And to get in, you just have to stand here and I’ll run the ritual to levitate you up and onto the entrance part of the tower.

Disnomia: idk, I’ve had a long day and idk if I can trust this.

Rick: What if I go up it and come back down, will that help?

Disnomia: Ya I’d like that. Please.

Rick: Alright, I’ll be right back.

They go up and back down the levilift.

Rick: Are you all ready to go back up now?

Disnomia: I think so, can we go up together?

Rick: I’m afraid only two people can go up at once.

Disnomia: That’s fine, will you go with me mom?

Patsy: Of course sweety, come here.

They hug while the levilift brings them up, and gently sets them down on a small railinged patio, soon followed by Albus, with Rick.

Albus: Thank you so much Rick, here’s a tip for being so kind with us.

Rick: It’s no problem, thank you.

Patsy: Oh shit you’re afraid of heights, I’m so sorry we left you to do that alone.

Albus: It’s alright, you were helping Dis, and I had Rick to bring me up. Also language Patsy. /s Now let’s go see this show.

After paying for their tickets and getting seats with an ok if not spectacular view in the middle towards but not at the back. The great red curtains are opening. To reveal a single person in a flashy costume.

Magician: Hello, I am the great Rick and--

Patsy (whispered): No it can’t be.

Rick:--showing you wonders beyond your wildest imagination.

For my first trick, I shall need a volunteer, you there small child with your hand raised, you will do. Come on up.

Now pick a card--

Albus (whispered, while the crowd groans): Really? I can do a card trick.

Rick:--Now the deck is shuffled, is this you card?

Kid: No.

Rick: How about this? (They “pull” the card from the kid’s ear.)

Kid: Yes.

The crowd boos.

Rick: What? I thought you came here for a magic show?

Some person: We came her for a magics show, give us some real magics!

Rick: Oh you want some real magics do you?

Crowd: Ya!

Rick: Louder!

Crowd: Ya!!

Rick Louder!!

Crowd: Ya!!!

Rick: Perfect!!!

And with that they directed the kid away to safety with them, and released the captured sonic energy of the crowd into a massive roaring dragon of fire on stage to applause and cheers, sustaining the dragon for a bit longer while it flew over the crowd and fizzled out.

Rick directed the kid back to their seat with a smile on their face.

Rick: Now, who here can do magics? Oh quite a few of you. If you have your wand with you, please raise it and direct magical energy into this box.

Most of the people who raised their hand did as instructed. Until Rick put his hands up telling them to stop.

Rick: Thank you very much, now what I’m going to do with this energy, is… The box vanishes.

Rick: Hey I needed that, which one of you did this?

The crowd chuckles at him.

Rick: It’s not funn… The box falls on their head and covers it.

Mmmmph, mmm, mmm, mmmph… They finally pull the box off.

Rick: Ok who did that!

A mechanical rabbit leaps from the box then turns around to eye Rick.

Some of the crowd awws at the cute rabbit.

Rick: Huh, hey little buddy.

Rabbit (In a weird computery voice): Hello Rick, you forgot to bring me to the show.

Rick: Mr. Fluffles we talked about this, I wasn’t going to bring you anymore.

Mr. Fluffles: Rick without me you have a big dragon and then a box. What can you do with a box other than summon me?

More crowd chuckles.

Rick: Well I, I. Hmm you have a point. However what can you do now that you’re here?

Mr. Fluffles: ATTACK MODE ENGAGED, IT WAS NICE WORKING WITH YOU.

Rick: What how dare you betray me like this. Condensation.

And with a flick of their wand the air nearest Mr. Fluffles condensed into water and he apparently short circuited, acting erratically before falling over and shutting off.

Rick (Falling to their knees): What have I done! Mr. Fluffles nooooo!

Mr. Fluffles’ ghost: But Rick, I am still here, and I’ve brought a friend.

The fire dragon returned in a glorious materializing blaze, and “ate” Rick who disappeared under the floor. To great applause from the audience.

Rick (having returned to the stage): Thank you all, and may you have a good night. I will be giving autographs while I lower everyone back down off the tower.

Albus: Hey that was pretty cool, should we get their autograph?

Patsy: You can get it if you want. I’m good.

Disnomia (smiling): Why not.

Albus: Alright, I’m getting one.

Rick: One autograph to my friends Albus and Disnomia. I’m glad you enjoyed my show, take care.

Patsy: Dis do you need one of us to go down with you?

Disnomia: No I’m fine. But I think dad might want someone to go down with?

Albus: Thank you sweety, let’s go.

Getting back to the motel room was a blur, they were too tired at this point to even talk much about the show. Everyone exhausted, immediately crashed when they hit their beds around 21:33.


Disnomia touching the church is actually based off me visiting a faux western town with actual old wooden buildings. Also I almost had her lick it which would have been funny but out of character.

3