Chapter 8: Transition and Clubs
37 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I'm so sorry this one is so late after the last one. I ended up not working on it for, *checks date* over a month.
I hope you enjoy it as I find it a fun chapter where a lot happens.

I don't think there are any CWs, if there are please let me know and I will add them.

Along with Alceste, Alma, and Uriel for support, Disnomia is on her way to the appointment with Doctor Alexandra.

Last night she had thought hard about what she wanted to do about medical transition. She hadn’t really considered it, assuming she would only get the option of blockers at her age, and hadn’t really made a decision yet.

Alma (walking backwards to look at Disnomia): Are you ok Disnomia? You look nervous.

Disnomia: Huh? Oh, Ya just. j-j-j-j. Just I tried to think if I only want to start puberty blockers now, or start the right puberty now with hormone therapy. I, I didn’t think I’d get even the option to start that so soon, and didn’t think about it before.

Alma: Well I’m here for you, I mean it.

Disnomia: Thank you.

Alma trips and falls while continuing to walk backwards as they enter the main building.

Disnomia: Alma! Are you aright?

Alma (while Disnomia helps her up): Ya.

Disnomia (smiling): Maybe you shouldn’t walk backwards silly.

Alma (pouting and crossing her arms): hrmph.

Alceste: Come on we’re almost there.

Disnomia: You seem excited, and the appointment isn’t even for you.

Alceste: I’m excited for you silly.

They arrive at the door to the hospital.

Disnomia: Well here we are.

Alma: Do you want us to go in with you?

Disnomia: No, your support is great, but please wait for me in the lobby.

She starts walking in, but Alceste stops her.

Alceste: Oh no you don’t, group hug time.

Everyone hugs Disnomia.

Disnomia: Thanks, you all are the best.

Alma: I’m gonna remember you called me the best.

Disnomia sticks out her tongue at her as they all end the hug. They then walk into the hospital and Disnomia checks in. They find a corner to sit in while they wait for her to be called in.

Alexandra: Disnomia, it’s good to see you. Right this way.

Alexandra leads Disnomia through a white and green hallway to her room. Disnomia sits on the medical bed thing as directed.

Alexandra: So before we start, did you think about what you want? I apologies for not giving you much notice… I just wanted to give you the option since you’re a rare case where I can even though you’re so young.

Disnomia: It’s ok, I-i. I’ve d-d-d.

She takes a deep breath, in and out.

Disnomia: I want to start puberty now.

Alexandra: Fantastic, I will need to do a quick scan of your body for basic vitals, and current hormone levels.

Disnomia (while Alexandra pulls out her simple rounded steel rod of a wand): Quick?

Alexandra: This is The Academy of Forbidden Magics, you think their hospital wouldn’t have mages?

Disnomia: Oh. Duh.

Alexandra: Now this might feel very strange, I apologize.

She begins scanning Disnomia with a spell.

Disnomia (uncontrollably laughing, while trying to hug herself though it): Why does it tickle, and it’s so cold.

Alexandra: I know I’m sorry… and done.

Disnomia shakes out her arms and legs.

Disnomia: Ugh that was awful.

Alexandra: I’m sorry. You can opt for blood tests instead later.

Disnomia (immediately): No I’ll stick with this please.

Alexandra (with a smirk): Alright.

Alexandra points her wand at a stack of papers and says “write”. The stack then populates itself with the result of the test.

Alexandra (looking over the results): Your vitals look good, and I know just what to prescribe you. While I prepare that, please look over these documents, and sign them when you’re ready.

Disnomia (contused): My parents don’t have to sign them?

Alexandra: They gave you that right with your other school papers, I checked before our appointment. Anyway those are for your informed consent. They specify what the medicines are, what they do, and side effects they can have. As well as things to watch out for. If anything on the list, or unexpected does happen, you come right to me.

Disnomia: Ok, thank you.

She reads over the documents, and signs them.

Alexandra: Of course. Now with everything done, we should have your medicine in, in a day or two give or take. Do you have any questions?

Disnomia: No, not right now.

Alexandra: Ok, don’t hesitate to find me, or other medical staff if you do.

Disnomia: Wait how are you going to tell me when I can get my medicine?

Alexandra: Oh it will be sent right to your room, anything else?

Disnomia: No, that’s it. Uh, thank you.

Disnomia hugs her.

Alexandra (returning the hug): You’re very welcome. See you same time in about 6 weeks, on the 14th of November, just to check how things are going.

Disnomia puts a reminder for that in her phone as she leaves back to the lobby, greeted by her curious friends.

Alceste: Well?

Disnomia giddily sways back and forth, then shakes her forearms in happiness.

Disnomia: I’m getting hormone therapy soon!

Alceste cheers as she rushes over to hug her, followed by Alma and Uriel.

Uriel: I’m really happy for you.

Alma: M-m, me too.

Disnomia: Alma are you tearing up?

Alma: It’s nothing, I’m just happy for you.

Disnomia smiles at her.

Later after lunch, along with Charlie, John, and another of his friends Ally, who has long black hair, and is wearing a t-shirt and jeans. They go outside to find the professors have setup booths all over and around the outside classroom area to sign up for the various clubs.

Alceste: I’ll catch up with y’all later, I know exactly what I’m signing up for.

Uriel (teasingly): What could that be?

Alceste: Oh you know very well it’s fitness and sports.

Uriel: Of course I do, It’s sarcasm silly. I’m signing up for that too. I’ll see everyone else later.

Disnomia, Alma: See you.

Alceste and Uriel walk off for the desired booth.

Charlie: So what does everyone else want to do? I’m gonna continue Italian which I had last year, and I’m thinking of doing Orchestra too.

John: I’m the one that convinced him to do orchestra. You’re looking at 1st chair violin.

Ally: We’re only in the young orchestra, boaster. I play viola by the way, but I’m thinking of doing dueling on top of, or instead of orchestra this year.

Disnomia: What-

Alma: What is dueling like!

Disnomia (smiling): Someone’s excited.

Alma: You know it.

Ally: It’s basically just extra dark magics classes with a focus on offensive spells.

Alma: Sounds good, are you in Disnomia?

Disnomia: Sure, why not. What about theater too?

Alma: Huh, are you asking if I want to do that too?

Disnomia: Ya. It would be nice to have a friend in both my clubs.

Charlie: There isn’t actually a limit. You could technically do all of them, but you’d probably have to skip a lot of sessions in each. Ya only two is a good choice haha.

Alma: Hmmm, why not. Let’s go sign up then!

They all walk off to their respective booths and sign up for clubs. Lucky for Disnomia and Alma, theater is on Mondays & Thursdays, while dueling is on Tuesdays.

Later that night Disnomia’s parents call her while she’s in her room.

Albus: Hello sweety. We just wanted to check in, and remind you we’ll be stopping by tomorrow morning at 8:00 to say goodbye before our flight home.

Patsy: Hello from me too!

Disnomia: Hey mom and dad-

Patsy: Ha she said mom first.

Albus: Oh you silly butt, let her speak.

Disnomia (bouncing on her bed): Hey I got approved for hormone therapy today. Dad getting my birth certificate changed so early really helped.

Patsy: Oh wow!

Albus: That’s amazing sweety!

Disnomia (smiling, and still bouncing a little): Ya I just have to wait for the medicine to come in. Anyway I’m tired, I’ll see you both tomorrow.

Patsy, Albus: Goodnight sweety.

Disnomia: Goodnight.

After breakfast the next morning Disnomia and her little group of first year friends goto the edge of the Academy to say goodbye to Disnomia’s parents. Startling said parents as they suddenly pop into view outside the invisibility barrier.

Patsy, Albus: Gah!

Albus (slightly disappointed in himself): I was prepared for that too.

Patsy: So was I. It didn’t help haha. Anyway come here sweety!

Disnomia rushes over to hug them.

Disnomia: I love you.

Patsy, Albus: We love you too sweety.

Disnomia: What have you been doing the past few days?

Patsy: Oh you know, just exploring the city, especially its magical wonders. Your dad insisted we see a couple more magics shows too.

Albus: Ya and they were mostly good, one was a normal mundane magic show which we didn’t realize. It kinda sucked in comparison.

Patsy: It was a very good magic show Albus! Have some respect.

Albus: You’re right, sorry… Oh hi Disnomia’s friends.

They cease hugging, but Disnomia still holds one of each of her parent’s hands.

Alceste (waving): Hey

Uriel: Hi

Alma: Hello Mr. and Mrs. Um…

Patsy: Ms. please, and it’s Pagodin, but there’s no reason to be so formal. You may call us Albus and Patsy.

Alma: Right, hello Albus, hello Patsy.

Albus (smiling): She’s getting there, haha.

Disnomia: Oh ya, Alcaster is giving me a couple extra lessons to get used to lightning magics. I made great progress on Friday, well except for the part where I fainted.

Patsy: What you fainted!

Albus: Are you ok?

Disnomia: Ya, The doctor that saw me said I just exhausted myself by doing too much powerful magics… I-I- I took a break yesterday, and will be more careful today.

Patsy, Albus: Glad to hear it.

Albus: Sorry to cut this short, but we really must be going.

Patsy: Ya, goodbye sweety, I love you.

Albus: I love you Dis.

Disnomia: I love you mom and dad. I’ll see you for Christmas right?

Patsy: Of course, though you’ll be riding the plane home by yourself. You’re ok with that right?

Disnomia: I don’t see why not, thanks for telling me now so I can be ready for that. Goodbye mom, goodbye dad.

She and her friends wave as they walk off, Patsy and Albus waving back, and nodding to her friends as they turn around.

Alma: So who’s ready to see Disnomia blast stuff with lightning?

Disnomia: Wow someone’s excited.

Alma (under her breath): N-no. It’s just cool is all.

Alceste: We have quite a while to wait until 10:00 lol.

Alma: Ugh right. Oh wait that spell Professor Eli gave us for extra credit! I forgot about it. Does anyone want to learn that while we wait?

Disnomia, Alceste, Uriel: Sounds good.

Alceste: I forgot too. As I think we all did haha.

Alma: Let me get that sheet, aww he didn’t give us imagination instructions. And the spell is a curse, called, Aberro?

Alceste: Who care’s what it’s called, give that here and let’s see the incantation and motions.

Alma: You’re not gonna like it.

Alceste: What is this. Does it even need to be this complex?

Alma: Don’t look at me, no wonder this is worth extra credit.

Uriel: Ok I’m out, I’ll just watch you try this.

Disnomia: Let me see. It wants us to do all this, and it strongly recommends doing this incantation at the same time? What is this in Latin?

Alma: idk but it’ll be impossible if we don’t get the pronunciation mostly right.

Disnomia: Wait really?

Alma: Ya, variations in accent are often fine, but as I learned from my parents, if you’re too far off from the person who made the spell, it won’t work.

Alceste: We could just go find Eli and ask him.

Uriel: Do we have to?

Alceste: You don’t have to, I’d like to though.

Uriel: Alright let’s go.

They find Eli in his classroom office, which he lets them into after knocking.

Eli: What can I do for you today, shouldn’t you be playing?

Alma: We were looking at the extra credit spell you gave us, and were wondering what language the incantation is in, and how to pronounce it.

Eli: You can count yourselves among the few students who came to me for help, and didn’t just give up upon seeing that. It is in Latin, the name of the spell, means to divert, or to stray.

Alceste: Do the incantation and motions really need to be so complex?

Eli: Yes, especially because this is a powerful very specific curse in what it does. The more precise you are focused on getting it correct, the higher the chance you successfully cast it. And I find this the best way to maintain focus.

Uriel: You are aware we don’t speak Latin right?

Eli: So even more reason for you to focus then! Here’s a classical pronunciation guide, have a good rest of your Sunday you overachieving scallions.

They leave the office with the booklet he handed them, which he evidently has copies of.

Uriel: Did he just call us onions?

Alceste: I think so... let’s just go find a quiet place and work on this.

After about an hour of great difficulty and no success, they realize the booklet has a ritual on it to speak audio examples of the pronunciations. This helps them, but only so much. Before they know it it’s time for Disnomia to practice lightning magics with Alcaster.

Alcaster: Alright Disnomia, if you don’t mind I’d like you to try something more complex today, really stretch the meaning of your wand following your instructions.

Disnomia: Sure, why not.

Alcaster: Great. I’ll put this can of soda on the ground, and I want you to make a cage of lightning around it, but not touching it.

Disnomia (to her wand): Make a cage of lightning around that soda can without touching it.

Lightning spontaneously forms in a cage around the can, making a medium soft crackling sound, not that Disnomia or Alcaster can hear it with their earmuffs on.

Disnomia: Oh I forgot to tell it to come from the wand.

Alcaster: Huh, I didn’t realize it could do that. The cage itself is amazing, but so is it being disconnected from a source so easily. Hmm, I wonder what else you could do then.

Disnomia (looking at a bird flying overhead): Wait can I? Stop the cage of lightning. Make the shape of a bird like that one, and move it where I point the wand.

The wand obliges this request, though the bird it makes is in a static soaring shape. Still Disnomia is very happy with the result and waves the bird around in the sky to the delight of her friends, and Alcaster.

Alcaster: Wow that is just delightful, but I’m afraid I have to ask you to stop.

Disnomia: Aww, ok. Stop the bird. Why’d you make me stop?

Alcaster: I just wanted to check on you, make sure you don’t overexert yourself again.

Disnomia: Oh, ya that was a little tiring actually. But we did just spend a few hours trying to do Professor Eli’s extra credit spell.

Alcaster: Extra- Oh I know what spell he gave you. Here I’ll even demonstraight it by cursing the can with it.

While also extending the telepathy to everyone present, Alcaster demonstrates the overly complex Aberro spell, leaving the can with intricate gold lines on it.

Alcaster: Disnomia, if you would try to strike the can with lightning please.

Disnomia does so, the bolt being forcibly directed away from the can into the ground.

Alcaster: Now I’d like to show you the downside of using curses this way.

Alcaster strikes continuous electricity at the can until the curse runs out of energy and fails, the can exploding as it’s finally hit by the electricity.

Alcaster: You need a large battery to be able to rely on these, also anything redirected can hit people near you. Anyway good luck to you all, he sure doesn’t make it easy to cast. Though the upside to that is it won’t fail you as long as it has power.

Now back to you Disnomia.

The lesson continues for about 2 hours with no issues. Disnomia becoming very comfortable with lightning magics by the end, and notably not fainting, between her paying attention to her own fatigue, and Alcaster making sure she takes breaks.

Alcaster: Good job today. I’m happy to do more sessions with you, but you look like you’re having fun and don’t need me anymore.

Disnomia: Hmm, I guess I am. Oh what about that muffling spell you promised?

Alcaster: I’m sorry, I haven’t had time for that, I wanted to translate what’s in the library into something easier to cast. I remembered what we have wrong, and it’s much too complex and difficult for what you need it to do. I will get it to you sometime this week. Have a fun rest of your day, all of you.

Disnomia: Thanks Alcaster, you too.

Alceste grabs Disnomia’s arm and starts dragging her to the cafeteria.

Disnomia: aaaaaaaa hey!

Alceste: I am starving, and I bet you are too after all that, we need lunch, now.

Disnomia (smiling): ok ok ok, you don’t need to drag me.

Alceste: Sorry, I’m just excited to get back to that spell we were working on earlier after Alcaster demonstrated it. We even got Uriel to try it a little while we were watching you.

Alma: Which was a waste because we kept messing up because we were watching you.

Uriel: Hey I swear I almost got it.

Alma: Ya and then lightning from the sky and bam, no cursed jacket.

Uriel: Well I’ll get it, you’ll see after lunch.

Uriel however did not show her after lunch, none them did until Charlie, John, and Dorcas found them and offered to help.

Dorcas: Ok it’s obvious you need help, what are you working on?

Disnomia (While Alceste hands her copy of the spell to Dorcas): Wouldn’t that be cheating?

Dorcas: No. This is just Eli’s silly unfair first day extra credit. He only cares that you can do it. Please let us instruct you.

Alma: Fine. (under her breath) We could have gotten it on our own though.

Dorcas: Maybe if you had an extra few days. Come on, all of you try it, and we’ll show you where you mess up.

By the time dinner was being served, everyone had successfully cursed their own copy of the spell with Aberro. Leaving similar intricate golden lines covering each one. First Alma, then Alceste, Uriel, and finally Disnomia.

Disnomia (jumping with joy): Yes, wow that was hard!

Charlie: Ok now we make sure it works, all of you charge those up as best you can so they don’t die immediately, and we’ll try hitting them with a spell.

Disnomia: I can do that.

Charlie: If it fails and you hit it with electricity it will burn.

Disnomia (disappointed): Oh, right.

Charlie: Is that everyone charged up? Alright then, Dorcas, John, when you’re ready we’ll blast each one with a force gust. I’ll do two since there are 4.

Charlie blasts a strange green bolt of magical energy at Uriel’s, then Disnomia’s, both of which are deflected away with no issue.

Charlie: Good job both of you.

Alceste and Alma’s achieve similar results.

Dorcas: Perfect.

John: Good. Remember to charge these before bed if you don’t want to recast this tomorrow. This spell looks for things attacking all the time, draining energy.

Disnomia: Will do, thank you all so much for your help!

Dorcas (while Charlie and John nod along): It was no problem, you’re very welcome.

John: Now please let’s get some dinner while there’s any left.

Alceste (Smiling): Haha ya, sorry that took so long. Let’s go.

That night after charging her various growing collection of cursed objects, especially the Aberro paper; Disnomia goes to bed very happy, having gotten much more used to and done amazing things with lightning magics, successfully cast Eli’s Aberro curse, and got to spend another day with her friends.

Seriously who the hell calls someone an overachieving scallion xD

0