13 – Mano-a-Mano
109 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Max floated on the lake. He escaped his death with his wounds closed. His effort in gathering the minuscule amount of chakra saved his life. That little bit of chakra he gathered was focused on the wounds, accelerating the closure of the wounds. Not enough to heal but enough to stop the bleeding.

He peeked to his side and saw the green wolves lying on the shore. They had stopped growling but they were still waiting, patiently. Persistent bastards. He smiled. Then he turned his attention to the thing down below. Time for a little dip. He took a deep breath and then he plunged into the deep water.

It was a blur. Yet the glowing thing on the bottom was his guide. He stroked his arms, diving deeper into the lake. The emerald water was all around him and yet his sight never left the glow. He pushed the water to the top, keeping himself submerged as the glowing thing was within an arm's length. He stared at the blurry sight of glowing reddish algae. The algae danced in the water, serene and graceful with dense chakra swirling around it. He used Identify.


Blood Light Algae

Type: Etheric Flora

Effect: Potent HP recovery, effectiveness differs from one person to another. Mild effect in MP recovery, effectiveness differs from one person to another. Can be utilized in a chemical process.


Jackpot. It’s a Spirit Herb. Another term he used during his second life. It was more or less the same thing but with different names. Max made his move. He snatched the algae and swam back to the surface. He emerged and took a breath. He threaded water on the spot and looked at the plant in his hand. His lips arched into a trace of a smile and his eyes glanced at the source of loud growls. The green wolves were getting riled up after Max's sudden activeness. Hail to the Alpha. He was impressed by how loyal these green wolves were to that Alpha he fought.

But now his attention was to the Blood Light Algae. I can turn this herb into a pill but now? I don’t think that’s possible. The place and time weren’t appropriate for a focus-driven activity. He got a few tricks in things like alchemy and to him, it would be a waste to use the Blood Light Algae as it was. Should I just run for it? He wasn’t obligated to defeat the Alpha since he was only here just to vented some stress pent-up stress. And considering he had a treasure in his hand, he thought of a wiser approach to the situation.

Max scanned the number of opponents on the shore and it was less than a dozen. He could handle them but not through a direct confrontation. His tanks were empty and his HP was on the low side. If he took a nibble from the algae, he might recover most of his HP and MP. Not gonna waste a treasure. He was determined and with a smile, he swam to the opposite end of the lake. He swam with everything he got and the howls from behind signaled to him that the wolves were moving.

Okay, let’s go through the plan. Get on the shore and take them down one by one. He reached the shore and armed himself with the combat knife in a reverse grip. His eyes traced the sight of those wolves who were coming closer and closer. He got into a stance and prepared for another battle.

The most eager of the bunch pounced, baring its fangs and claws. Max didn’t move and waited for it to come. He dodged it by a hair-breadth and jabbed the knife right at the neck of the green wolf. It whined and struggled on the ground, squirming with blood pouring out from the hole in its neck.

One down and more to go. The green wolves came in drove. He incapacitated two more green wolves before he jumped back into the lake. They learned their lesson and went in like a pack. Max bit down on the knife as he swam to the other side, close to the treeline of the woods. He pulled himself up on the shore and tracked the pack. They chased him with no one leaving the pack.

Plan B. He ran into the woods. The woods where the greenery was still lush and vibrant. The woods where he left Tori all on her own, taking refuge at the treetop. He got inside and climbed on top of a tree. He hid among the leaves on a branch and waited. Then they came.

Max jumped and went for an ambush. His whole weight and momentum made the blade of his knife sliced right through the skull of the unfortunate green wolf. He dislodged his knife and gave a roundhouse kick at a pouncing green wolf. The green wolf whimpered into the ground and Max made his escape. He jumped back on a tree and watched from on top of a branch. “Chase me,” Max taunted them. He leaped from one branch to another and the green wolves gave chase from on the ground.

Max took another jump to a branch and rather than landing on it, he fell lower and grabbed onto the branch. He swung his whole body using the branch like a high bar. He spun around and let go of the branch, propelling himself in the air, shooting himself above the green wolves. He dropped on the other side and rushed at the closest wolf. They confronted at the same time, fangs against knife. But Max was quicker. The wide jaw was snapped shut, he stabbed the green wolf right below its jaw. His other hand guided the green wolf to the ground as his knife stabbed a few more times, leaving bloody holes on the green wolf’s underbelly.

Another green wolf came to save the day, it tackled Max to the ground as its jaw reached for Max’s flesh. They tussled on the ground with Max’s legs latched onto the green wolf’s body. He squeezed it tight as the green wolf writhed in pain. Max took his chance and struck. He slashed it at the neck as blood gushed out like a fountain. It splattered against him as Max got up and jumped back to his cover on the tree. The rest were too late as they stared at their enemy with rage. They growled at Max who stared them down from above.

So three more, huh? He let out a grin. Three won’t be that hard. He jumped and the moment he landed, two jaws were a yard away from him. I give you guys an A for teamwork. He ducked but another struck from below. He rolled and before the green wolf’s fangs reached him, Max’s knife met its flesh first. He got up and ran the blade straight through its green fur. He ran as two green wolves chased him. Max turned and unleashed a roundhouse kick. He smacked one right at the head while the other bit Max on the shoulder. The fangs pierced through his flesh but it stopped before it could get any deeper. It went limp and fell, with blood coming out from a hole in its underbelly. Max wasn’t going to let a green wolf had a taste of his flesh.

The one he kicked didn’t wait long and went for an attack. But a one-on-one confrontation was a battleground perfect for Max. The result was expected. Max came out as the winner and now another lone wolf stood across him, bleeding from its side.

Max cocked his head to the side a bit. “So what about it?” He gestured at the green wolf. They had a staredown for a couple of seconds before the green wolf turned and made a run for it. Sorry, mutt. Not this time. He chased it and using the stunt he pulled from last time, he used the tree branch as a high bar. He struck from above and stabbed it right behind its neck.

Time to clock out. He finished the job and it was time to go home, while he could. He thought about leaving right away, but he wasn’t going to waste his kills. Let’s just hope I’m luckier this time. He knelt beside the carcass and readied to dismember it. His knife went closer but he stopped. A scream shattered the air. He turned to his back and ran with everything he got. His forehead puckered with the anxiety building up in him.

He reached the meadow and his whole body froze. “John!” Tori screamed. Her only leg squirmed around above the ground as her hands tried to get loose from a strong furry grip. “John!” she called for Max. Fear and worry gripped her in the heart. She knew she was at the border of life and death as she felt her heart knocking on her ribs.

Max glared at the werewolf who was standing fifty yards away from him. The hand that held the combat knife trembled as he felt intense rage fueling his heart. He felt the hate against that burnt werewolf and in his eyes, the two-legged beast mocked him with its fangs-filled smile. Once more, he underestimated these monsters. It was no game and to his surprise, it was well beyond intelligent. Who would have thought a werewolf would take a hostage.

The werewolf stood there with Tori in its grip. Half of its body was scarred by the flames of Max and it was now to get its revenge. It picked up a scent while fighting Max, a separate one from him. It followed the scent and found prey. Better yet, a perfect bait.

“Let her go!” Max shouted to the top of his lung. He took a step forward and he stopped. “Argh!” Tori’s scream shattered the silence. The werewolf stabbed Tori in the leg with one of its razor-sharp claws. Tori squirmed, trying to fight against the pain. The werewolf pulled out its claw and arched the corner of its jaw. It was a sign to Max. A sign not to approach even for a step.

Fucking dog. I should have kill you while I’ve got the chance. “Okay!” he responded as he took a step back. His jaw was clenched, trying to calm himself down. He made love with that woman and he wasn’t going to let her go. He glared with hate and for the first time, he was eager to kill something.

“It’s you and me. Mano a mano,” Max said, challenging the Alpha of this Rupture. “Let her go and let’s…” His eyes turned wide. “Stop!”

But it was too late. The werewolf brandished its claws and took a huge chunk of meat right at Tori’s flank. “Ahhh!” Tori screamed in pain as blood gushed out.

“No!” Max ran at them. The werewolf threw Tori to the side and as if it was smiling, it dashed at Max. They collided with the knife against the claws. But Max lacked the strength for a head-on confrontation. His feet were off the ground and the werewolf flung him across the air. He rolled a couple of times on the ground before he got his feet back up. Yet the dark green blur flashed in front of him. It was the werewolf. He saw the trajectory of the claws and fell himself to the ground. The claws hit empty air and Max rolled back before leaping off from the ground.

The werewolf angered from missing its mark and chased after Max in the air. Its speed was unrivaled against Max. It kicked Max right at the stomach, plunging him down to the ground. Fuck. He cursed at the vengeful werewolf and as he glanced to Tori, his heartbeat quickened. She was hanging on to her life and Max had no other choice. The werewolf walked closer to Max, taking its time, relishing the moment of superiority.

He pulled something from his pocket. The crimson color algae. Max chomped down half of it and chewed it in his mouth. Time for payback, bitch.

1