Chapter 10: Fragment of Memory
436 0 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I entered the classroom and walked towards the back row. I put my bag down and took a seat. My friends started looking at me curiously.

F: "Hey, you good? You okay?"
A: "Yeah. Its morning, but you look a little sweaty"
W: "Did you miss the train or something?"
L: "No, I'm good. I rode a bike to school."
F: "Wait, really? How is that even possible, you live far from here."
W: "Impressive how you didn't get caught in an accident."
A: "What bike do you have?"
L: "Its a mountain bike, my cousin gave it to me."
A: "Cool. I wish I also have a bike."

 

We talked for a little while before our teacher finally arrived the classroom. We stood up and greeted our teacher before getting started with the class. I set my attention on the lecture and started writing some notes on my notebook. The class goes on, I kept my focus on myself and the lesson. Class was almost finished, and I barely even noticed. This is good, I got my focus back, I'm over with thinking about that girl. While waiting for the teacher, my friends saw me dozing off while looking out the window.

A: "Hey, El. You good? You're dozing off."
L: "Ah, its nothing. I'm fine."
F: "He's probably thinking about something, or someone."
L: "No, really, its nothing. I'm good."

The next teacher arrived and got on with the class. I cleared my mind once more and set my focus on the class.

("This type of focus feels nice. Was I always like this?")
...
("Hmm, I wonder why I'm only noticing it now. Must be from that girl, I kept thinking about her yesterday.")
...
("Anyways, that's over now.")

The class concluded, and I feel back to my usual self. My thoughts began to run in my mind again.

("I didn't even know why I suddenly felt about that girl yesterday. It just feels so uncannily familiar to me that I couldn't explain; that must be why I'm so affected by it.")

Suddenly, I got curious about it again. Not to the girl, but to myself.

("I feel as if I'm forgetting something, but at the same time, I don't think it actually happened.")

I thought about it for a minute, then suddenly the next teacher came. I cleared my thoughts for the upcoming class. I paid my attention to the lecture while writing some notes about the lesson. I remained quiet the entire class to keep my focus.

After finishing the lecture, our teacher told us to form groups for an activity. I grouped up with my friends, and of course, they made me leader. Our teacher gave us 10 minutes to do the activity, and which we immediately did after the teacher gave the instructions. We finished up the activity, then group after group started presenting their work. We were the last group, then proceeded to present our work. After grading each group's work, the class came to an end. The next teacher arrived at the room and started the class.

 

Our teacher finished the class and dismissed us early. Its almost lunch, everyone was talking about what to eat or where to go. I fixed my things and left the classroom. I was thinking of eating lunch outside the school since I have a bike now. I rode around the school and found a ramen shop a few blocks from the school. I went there and parked my bike at the front of the shop. I looked around after I got off my bike.

("Was someone following me?")
...
("People might just be coming this way. I should stop worrying.")

I locked my bike on a nearby post and went inside the ramen shop. I went for a medium order, since I got hungry from all that biking to school. Some customers came in the shop as well as some students. I paid no mind to the customers and focused instead on my food.

("This ramen is good, I might come here more often for lunch.")

I finished my food and paid the owner. I walked out the shop and unlocked my bike. I was about to get on the bike, but I thought on walking instead to digest my food. I reached the school a minute later and parked my bike. Other students from outside the school also started coming. I walked up the building to my classroom.

I went in the classroom and walked towards my seat.

A: "Loruel, you're here. Where have you been earlier?"
F: "Yeah, you suddenly left when the bell rang."
L: "I went to a ramen shop, not too far from the school."
F: "You should've invited us."
W: "Yeah, its nice to have ramen every once in a while."
L: "Alright, I'll invite you guys next time."
A: "You better. We rarely hang out nowadays."

After a couple of minutes, our teacher finally arrived and class started.

 

Hours have passed, we're almost done with our final class. Our homeroom teacher called the assigned students for today and dismissed the class. Majority of my classmates already left the classroom  while a few of us remained to clean the classroom. I was designated to clean the windows and board while the rest worked on the floors and chairs. I finished cleaning the board and went to get a cloth rag from the corner of the room. I walked towards the window and started wiping. While I was doing my task, I suddenly noticed a female student looking at me from the nearby building. I paused for a moment to look closely, but a bunch of students walked past the hallway and blocked my sight. After they passed, the student was looking for was gone.

("Where did she go? She just vanished. What?")
...
("I should just ignore it. I'll just get worried over nothing. I should finish my task so I can go home.")

I got a little agitated from what just happened. I usually don't believe in horror or ghost stories, and that fact remains unchanged. I was done with my task. I returned the rag and walked towards my seat. I fixed my bag and took my leave. As I descend the building, I kept looking at the other building to see if that student is still there, but she wasn't. I walked to the bicycle parking, unlocked my bike, and left the school

 

I was on the side of the highway, cars are quickly passing by me. I'm still thinking about earlier, something about a memory, which I've never felt before. Its awfully familiar, but I never knew. As I travel home, I suddenly heard a truck's horn, which struck me. I felt it again, but this time, its stronger.

("Something about that girl and a truck, huh. Very strange, indeed.")

 

Some time later, I finally reached our area and got off the highway. Its quiet and peaceful, and I like it very much. I slowed down my pace to feel the wind more, which is refreshing. I don't even feel fatigue anymore. I finally reached my house after a couple of minutes, I parked the bike near our front door and locked it. I removed my shoes and went inside to change clothes. 

"So, how was it?"
"How was what?"
"The bike, I mean."
"Oh, its was good. Its pretty fast on the road, which I like."
"Well, PJ told me that he bought modified gears for that."
"Figures, I thought it was a little fast for a mountain bike."
"Anyways, finish up changing. Dinner's almost done."
"I'll come down a little later."

I wore a tank top instead of a shirt since I got a little sweaty from biking home. I came downstairs and went to the dining room.

"That's all you're gonna eat, Lore?"
"I've had ramen earlier, so I'll only eat a little tonight."
"Very well. Clean your plate afterwards."

I finished dinner and cleaned up, then I went upstairs to rest. I laid down in bed, trying to connect those two thoughts.

("A girl and a truck, hmm.")
...
("What's with that? I can't see any connection in between")
...
*sighs* ("It'll just occupying my mind again, like yesterday. I'll just sleep and forget about it.")

I closed the door and light in my room and went to sleep.

16