Chapter 17: Post-date Ride
353 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

You went to the counter to pay for your things and left. I'm still standing in confusion, but I hurriedly followed you on the way out while maintaining my distance. You walked in a steady manner towards the station, and I follow you little by little. You were exactly like that, the day after that happened. Its almost as if your memory resets, which I never thought I would think about. Because I believed that you would never forget me after that happened, but I'm like a stranger to you the following day. Now I know how it happens, I have to learn about it further.

 

You finally reached the station and stood in line as you waited for the train. I queued in another line, just beside the one that you're in. I was acting rash to have a closer look at you, but you don't seem to notice me. You were always observant of your surroundings, especially in public. You were always wary of the people around you, but this time, you don't seem yourself. This is the first time I'm seeing you like this, seemingly brain-dead without a care in anything. I'm feeling curiosity and worry about you simultaneously, and you still have a pretty long trip home.

The train finally arrived, people started boarding the train. I made a mistake, I should've queued in the line that you're in. We boarded in different cars, but that'll be fine. As usual, you didn't take any seat and just stood by the door even if you're carrying something. I stood by the door on the gangway connection so that I can easily go over your can once enough people go off. The train finally departed from the station. Its a little crowded, but thankfully, I can still see you. You were looking out the door as the train goes as you always do, and little do you know, that your stern expression with a straight posture is very attractive. Well, at least for me.

 

After a few minutes, the train finally reached a station. Some people got off the train while a few people boarded. Some seats were still unoccupied, then you sat down just before the train departed. I went through the connection and went in your car. I know I'm trying to keep my distance from you, but somehow, I feel like I need to get closer to you. I walked over to the door near your seat, and immediately, you stood up to offer me your seat.

"Here, you can take my seat."
"Oh, no. Its okay, you don't have to stand."
"Its fine, I'm still two stations away."
"No, I meant...umm...you can sit..with me."
"Are you sure? Won't you get cramped or something?"
"No...no, its..fine."
"Hm, very well then."

You removed your bag from your shoulder and held it on your lap as you sat down. I tried to keep myself from leaning my head closer, when you suddenly spoke to me.

"We go to the same school as it seems."
"Ah, yes."
"I see."
"Actually, my class is just right beside yours."
"Hm."
("Oh no, I just revealed myself. This is bad.")
"..."
("...maybe not. Why are you so quiet?")

We sat together in silence as the train goes. Some people are looking over to us, they probably think we're in a relationship. Having that thought in my head makes me flustered. After a while, the train stopped at my station.

"Well, this is my stop. It was nice being with you, Loruel."
"Okay, then. Farewell."
("What was that? Why did I call him by his name? He probably doesn't even remember me, he might suspect.")

I boarded off the train and walked home. I live on my aunt's house, which is only two stations away from the school.

 

 

 

My name is Yumi Makimoto. I was raised by my parents in a peaceful place on the country side. I was an only child, so I've been indulged with attention and love. However, as I grew up, my parents slowly teach me not to be selfish just because I grew up without any siblings. I understood that, but still, I can't seem to depart from myself the mentality of having things for myself and having such importance. I grew up happily with my parents, providing me with my needs, playing with me when I get home, all sorts of things. Years passed, I finally graduated from elementary and entered middle school. I wasn't as extroverted at first, since I've changed schools, and only a few of my friends from elementary came to the same middle school. I guess you can say that I'm shy, but I'm quite friendly once you get to know me.

 

It was my second year on middle school. The first year went by so quickly, I didn't even notice the previous school year until it was over. My classroom was assigned to the other end of the campus, where I first saw Loruel. I thought he was just some ordinary boy at first. He had a lot of friends during that time, which I thought was so cool. I was amazed at how he easily fits in every peer. Almost everywhere, someone knows him. I assumed that he was a popular guy or some rich kid that everybody wants to be friends with, but no. He's often alone by himself almost everywhere he goes. Sometimes, kids will just greet him as he greets back, then they leave so soon. I watched him for a while, and I slowly start to understand. Its not that he's friends with everyone, he's just everyone's casual friend. He doesn't have any close friends in particular, nor does he belong to a group of friends. But, in spite of his solitude, he always looks so happy every time he's approached. He always smiles back to anyone, and from that thing, I start to notice something in me. My feelings towards him began to bloom, until one day, I confirmed it.

"I...I think I like him."
...
"Yeah, I like him. Very much."

11