Letter 7 – 10/30/1977
315 1 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

10/30/77

Dear J,

I hope you don’t mind me calling you J. I know that we don’t know each other well yet, but Sam told me that you wouldn’t have a problem with it. I’m sorry if you feel we’re not close enough for that yet, I’d hate to anger you only two words in. I’m going to be honest, I have no clue how to start this letter without it seeming awkward or like I’m working off of a script. This is my third attempt at writing this and I still fear it’ll come off as weird. I guess the best place is to start at the beginning?

There’s honestly not much to be interested in. I was born and raised in Dayton, Ohio. My dad left my mom when I was about three or maybe four, the age changes depending on who’s telling the story, and it's just been her, my sister, and me ever since. Nichole, my sister, basically raised me since our mom had to work so much to keep us housed and fed. I owe a lot to her and my mom. I’m a science major, specifically biological sciences. I want to be a doctor, even if medical school is going to cost more than half of what my family makes in a year. I just wanna help people and I think that being a doctor is one of the best ways to. What else? Oh, Sam told me about your love of monster movies and which one your favorites are. I have always loved the Bride of Frankenstein too. Elsa Lanchester is just absolutely breathtaking. I swear, the first time I saw her on screen I was just enchanted. 

I guess I should explain. I am what you call one of the lucky ones. Sam told me about how you feel about people like me and I think it’s downright adorable. I guess we are lucky. Let me tell you though, I sure didn’t feel lucky when I realized. I was terrified. Nichole was thankfully supportive when I told her and my mom’s indifferent. It's not that she doesn't want me dating, she’s just not around enough to notice if I am. I’m not though, at the moment at least. Never had the desire in high school, you know how rumors can be, and I just haven’t found anyone here who’s made me want to drop everything for them yet. I’m still hopeful though.

I’m rambling aren’t I? I’m rambling. I’m sorry for that, but I just don’t know what else to write. The first letter is always the hardest. After the first letter we have a rapport semi-established, but first we have to create it and oh God I’m doing it again. Sorry, again. 

If you’re okay with sharing I’d love to hear about your family. Sam mentioned a Mary in passing once or twice and I believe she’s your younger sister? I may be mistaken though, as he really hasn’t mentioned her much. She sounds nice though. A couple of stories from your high school days have been brought up in group meetings though. Did Brandon really do that to a squirrel and a cat? I can’t believe he was never punished for that. I don’t want to believe it at least. Makes me sick to my stomach. We never had anything like that in Dayton. A couple of pregnancies sure, but nothing that disgusting.

On that downer, I think I’ve rambled on enough. I hope I hear from you soon.

Sarah

20