Chapter 2 – Receiving the Best Letter Ever
314 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Your baseless two star review won’t stop me uploading, hun ;)

I stared at Aunt Petunia. 

"Aunt Petunia-"

"No! You can't have it! I-it's just - addressed wrongly." She said.

"ADDRESSED wrongly? ADDRESSED wrongly?! How can it be? It's got our exact address on it, where my bedroom is, and my name!" I exclaimed. "What are you trying to keep from me?" I asked shrewdly, studying Aunt Petunia.

"Nothing dear, nothing. Now, let's see. Yes, there are no decent girl's schools anywhere nearby, so your uncle and I decided to send you to St Marigold's." She said fondly, trying to change the subject. It worked.

"WHAT?!" Dudley, Harry and I yelled in unison.

"She can't go there - she's the best cousin ever, it would be so boring without her-"

"She's my twin! My TWIN! You can't just send her away from me-"

"I'm not going to an all-girl's stupid boarding school, that's ridiculous, I WON'T go-" 

"Enough, children!" Uncle Vernon shouted. We all fell silent.

"She's going. It's for her own good. It's luxurious, and it will offer her a great education. It will ensure her a place in Cambridge!" 

"But ... I don't want to be separated from my friends, my cousin and - and my twin. My BROTHER!" I insisted. "I want to have fun, it won't be any fun if you send me to an all-girl's school, some girls are catty if there's no boys around!"

"You're going and that's that! Just be grateful we aren't sending you to Stonewall, like him!" Aunt Petunia said.

"Yeah, what's with that? Why do you hate on Harry so much?" I demanded.

"None of your business." Uncle Vernon said.

"You ARE going." Aunt Petunia said softly. 

I stood up, then walked out.

---

What could be in that letter that could get them so worked up? I'd been wondering that all night. I couldn't sleep. It was half one in the morning, and I was lying spread-eagled on my bed in my normal clothes.

I wouldn't go! I'd- I'd find a way out of this - even if I had to take Harry and run away! It'd suck, having to leave Big D behind, but if we took him, his parents would be sure to look desperately for us. One, I wasn't that mean to his parents, and two, if we needed to run, he probably would not get too far, no offence to him. 

But if it was just me and Harry ... they'd be glad to get rid of him. It would be the perfect excuse to get him out of the house once and for all, yes, they'd have to do it at a cost, (not looking for me) but they probably hates Harry enough to leave us alone.

Yes, I'd do that. I'd try to persuade them otherwise, though. No point leaving if I could stay! I was staying with Harry, whether they liked it or not!

---

The next morning, I told my plan to Harry, who nodded grimly and was happy enough to proceed. He hated the Dursley's. He was happy about it.

I didn't tell Dudley. He'd probably try to follow us. 

Another two letters came through the letter box. Uncle Vernon ripped them up and threw them in the fire, with Harry and me watching.

Then, when I'd found the pair of them in the same room together, Aunt Petunia, Uncle Vernon, and I shouted and screamed the house down about St Marigold's. It ended with me storming out, them adamant about their side of the argument, and packing my bags. I packed a small bag for Harry when I sneaked down to his cupboard, and it was kinda sad to see that my twin brother had only a few possessions.

Harry was out being forced to work in the garden. When I stormed out the door with all my bags and Harry's, Uncle Vernon stepped in front of me eyeing my bags.

"Where do you think you're going?" He demanded.

"Nowhere." I said, stepping round him and continuing walking to Harry.

"What's all those bags for, then?" 

"Nothing."

"Tell me!" 

"I'M LEAVING, ALL RIGHT! I'M NOT GOING TO ST. MARIGOLD'S!" I shrieked.

I ended up being locked in my room, Harry screaming for Uncle Vernon to let me out, Dudley shouting that this wasn't fair, and Uncle Vernon successfully yelled at them both to shut up.

I was feeling so angry, I just directed my anger at Uncle Vernon, and I heard him yelling in pain on the landing. I peered through the keyhole and saw him him writhing on the ground, his face contorted in pain. I felt so much POWER. I can make him hurt. I can make all of them hurt if I want to ...

---

I wouldn't be surprised if the Dursley's hated me as much as Harry then! What Uncle Vernon didn't know is that I could pick locks with almost anything. I had taken out a paper clip from my school bag, and I was jiggling it round in the lock. I got tired of this after a bit, when it was being stubborn with me, and I gathered up all my energy and released it at the keyhole. It burst, and I silently cheered. This is awesome, this magic stuff!

And yeah, about cheering, I used to be a cheerleader until I decided that wearing pink and ponytails all the time does not suit me, and so Aunt Petunia signed me up for ballet classes.

I was actually pretty good at both, if I did say so myself.

Anyway, it was a few days later. I had picked the lock several times before to talk to Harry and Dudley.

There had been more letters each day. Wow, someone's persistent. 

I opened the door, and sneaked down the stairs. I skipped the stairs that creaked. 

I paused outside the living room door.

"No post on Sundays." I heard Uncle Vernon say.

I smirked to myself. I don't really think that the person who's sending these letters is gonna let that stop them ...

Just as I thought that, I saw a rush of letters come tumbling down the chimney. I sprinted into the room and began snatching up letters and shoving them in my pockets. So far, the two adults hadn't seen me. They were too busy staring at the chimney.

Dudley and Harry were doing the same as me. Then Uncle Vernon turned to Harry and began snatching them out of his hands and pockets, and trying to persuade Dudley to hand his over. I dived behind the couch, tearing open a letter. It was mine.

I began shifting the parchment out of the envelope. Wait, parchment? Huh?

It seemed that Aunt Petunia had snapped out of it. She was shrieking and flapping her arms around. I peeked out from behind the couch. That was a mistake.

Uncle Vernon saw me and abandoned Harry.

Shit!

I made a break for the door. I burst through it, and he chased me down the hall. I sprinted upstairs and dove into Dudley's room. I heard him go charging down the hallway past his room. I hid some letters under his mattress.

Then I snuck out and went into my room.

I hid some under my mattress, then took up the loose floorboard and hid some in there, just in case Uncle Vernon found the ones in Dudley's room.

Then I snuck out again and sneaked down the stairs. Then I went into Harry's cupboard.

I hid some under his mattress, then got out one of my own and ripped it open.

It read:

'Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore

(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc. Chf Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed of Wizards)

Dear Miss Potter,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on the first of September. We await your owl by no later than the thirty-first of July.

Yours sincerely, 

Minerva McGonagal, Deputy Headmistress.'

What?! 

Who's this Albus guy? Who's this Minerva person? A school of witchcraft and wizardry? Owl? Say WHA?!

Does this mean I'm some sort of witch? And Harry ...

I opened one of his. His was the exact same, except for the Miss Potter thing, of course.

Then the door opened and Harry flopped down on top of me.

"Aaargh!" We both said simultaneously. Twin powers are awesome!

"Harry. Meeting in Dudley's room. Now." I said. When us three needed to have meetings, it was almost always in this cupboard, or my room, (when I needed to show them my new pranks) and sometimes in Dudley's room.

---

I had shown them the letters and they had agreed with me that us twins were probably a witch and wizard. 

But before we could really do anything other than that, Uncle Vernon told us to pack, because we were leaving. 

Then he dragged us out to the middle of nowhere, on an island out at sea, to a tiny, run-down shack. 

It was cold. And it was Harry and I's birthday in just a couple of minutes.

We waited in silence, the three of us. The adults were in the other room.

Then Dudley and I's watches ticked round to midnight.

"Happy birthday, Daisy, Harry." Dudley whispered.

"Happy birthday, Daisy!" Harry hissed.

"And happy birthday Harry!" I grinned.

We both blew out the candles on the dust-cake we had drawn in the dust.

'I wish that I won't be going to St Marigold's!' I whispered under my breath, closing my eyes.

Just then, there was a massive bang at the door.

12