Chapter 3 – Best Birthday I’ve Ever Had
311 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I sat up and blinked. One, how would you even get across to here, and two, who the heck is calling at this time o' night?

Another bang sounded at the door. This time, it shuddered as if it were going to break off its hinges. Dudley, Harry and I scuttled back from it.

Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon came scurrying through the door, my uncle with a gun in his hand. Somehow, I don't think it would really compete with the person outside. 

There was another bang at the door, and this time it broke away completely and fell to the floor. A practical giant stepped onto it.

He had an extremely long, messy brown beard, and matching hair. He had small, twinkling brown eyes on that massive face of his. He was wearing a very large coat, that was oversized, even on him.

The guy bowed his head down low and shuffled into the hut. He picked up the door and shoved it back into place. Then he turned round.

"Couldn't make us a cup o' tea could yeh? It's not bin an easy journey ..." 

He walked, or rather, strode across to the sofa were Dudley was perched. 

"Budge up, yeh great lump." Giant Guy said.

Dudley shot me a terrified look, squeaked, and dropped to the floor behind Harry and I.

"An' here's Daisy an' Harry, the Twins Who Lived!" Giant Guy exclaimed. I raised an eyebrow. Firstly, how did he know our names, and secondly, the TWINS WHO LIVED? Huh?

He was smiling. "Las' time I saw you two, you were on'y babies. Yeh look lots like yer dad, but yeh've both got yer mum's eyes." 

Uncle Vernon glared. "I demand that you leave at once, you are breaking and entering!"

"Ah, shut up, Dursley, yeh great prune." Giant Guy reached over and bent Uncle Vernon's gun into a knot, and threw it into a corner of the room.

Uncle Vernon squeaked just like Dudley had.

"Anyway, twins, I got summat fer yeh." Giant Guy reached into one of his many pockets and brought out a cake. It said, 'Happy Birthday Daisy and Harry' in wobbly green letters.

I looked up at Harry. My green eyes stared back, full of amazement, then we both looked up at Giant Guy.

"Thanks!" I said at the same time as Harry said, "Who are you?" 

We both looked at each other again. I sent him an eye message saying, 'That was rude, Harry!' (We have this thing where we can read each other's faces so much, and we know each other so well, we can tell what the other is thinking just by looking into their eyes) and he sent one back saying, 'You're always the polite one, Daisy!' He had a mocking look in his eye. I narrowed my eyes and sent him another one, 'It's vice versa, you wish you had my style!'

The corners of Harry's mouth twitched.

"Yeh're welcome, Daisy, and of course, Harry, yeh'd wanna know who I am. I'm groundskeeper at Hogwarts, Rubeus Hagrid. Jus' call me Hagrid, ev'ryone does. Of course, yeh'd know all about Hogwarts." 

"Erm, no, not ALL about Hogwarts, sorry." Harry and I said at the same time again.

"We've only read the letter-" I said.

"And we were quite confused by it-" Harry said.

"Does that mean we're magic?"

"Sorry." Said Harry quickly, for there was a thunderous look in Hagrid's eyes.

"What? No, it's 'em that should be sorry!" Hagrid turned to the adults, who shrank back into the shadows. "I knew yeh weren't gettin' yer letters, bu' I never thought yeh wouldn't even know abou' Hogwarts, fer cryin' out loud! Did yeh never wonder where yer parents learn' it all?"

"All what?" Harry and I asked simultaneously. 

"ALL WHAT?" Hagrid thundered. "Now wait jus' one second!" He jumped up. "Do yeh mean ter tell me that these kids - these kids! - know nothin' abou' - abou' ANYTHING?"

The Dursley's were cowering against the wall by this stage. Dudley had gone paper white and was trembling.

"Not even abou' yer mum an' dad?" Hagrid whispered down at us.

"No, but you see-" I said.

"We only read the letter, so-"

"Does that mean that Hogwarts is a school for magic people-"

"Like us?" 

"And were our parents like us too?"

"I bet they were-"

"So yes, we do know about our parents-"

"Technically-"

"And they died in a car crash-" I said, flinching as I said it.

"So yeah." Harry finished.

Hagrid was fuming. "CAR CRASH! How could a car crash kill Lily an' James Potter? It's an outrage! A scandal! Daisy an' Harry Potter not knowin' their own story, when every kid in our world knows their names!"

"Every kid in your world knowing our names?" We both said.

"Yeh're famous, twins. FAMOUS." Hagrid sighed, sitting back down.

Harry and I looked at each other. Our eyes were both full of excitement and wonder.

"But how?" I asked.

"What happened?" Harry asked.

"STOP! I FORBID YOU TO TELL THEM!" Uncle Vernon roared.

"I said shut up, yeh great prune!" Hagrid boomed. But he looked worried.

"I never expected this. I had no idea, when Dumbledore told me there might be trouble gettin' hold of yeh, how much yeh didn' know."

Harry put his hand on top of mine as Hagrid began to explain about our parents.

~~~

Really? Our parents had been killed by an evil Dark wizard named Lord Voldemort, and we had both survived his Killing Curse? That was why we had the scars? Awesome ...

A flash of bright green light flashed across my mind - a searing pain on my forehead - a distant scream - a yell of 'Avada Kedavra' - a high, cold, cruel laugh...

I looked to my left. Harry was sitting there, his eyes unfocused.

Hagrid was looking at us with warmth and respect in his eyes. I felt a blaze of proudness flare up inside me. I defeated the greatest Dark wizard of all time with my brother!

But Harry then said, very quietly, "I think you've made a mistake, Hagrid. There's no way I can be a wizard ... Daisy could, but I couldn't ..."

Hagrid laughed. "O' course yer a wizard, Harry! Think ... has anything unusual happened when you were feeling angry ... or scared?"

Harry nodded slowly.

Yes ... there was that time when I exploded the teacher's desk in year five, when he gave us homework ... when I shattered that mirror in the girl's bathroom in year two, because my friend was looking in it and not paying attention to me ... last year, when Piers Polkiss pushed me up against a wall and tried to kiss me, and I made his head inflate ... when I shattered the glass wall at the zoo, and all those times I made people ... suffer. Hurt.

"I can make bad things happen to people who annoy me." I murmured, not quite feeling myself. It was like there was someone else present in my mind ... "I can make them hurt if I want to."

Hagrid shifted in his chair. His eyes were watching me uneasily.

Even Harry looked a bit apprehensive.

"Well, anyway, yeh'll be goin' ter Hogwarts, an' yeh'll be under the greatest Headmaster Hogwarts has ever had, Albus Dumbledore-"

"I AM NOT PAYING FOR SOME CRACKPOT OLD FOOL TO TEACH THEM MAGIC TRICKS, SHE'LL BE GOING TO ST. MARIGOLD'S, AND HE'LL BE GOING T-" 

Hagrid seized his umbrella. "NEVER - INSULT - ALBUS - DUMBLEDORE - IN - FRONT - OF - ME!" He swished it down and pointed it at Dudley. He squealed, and, next second, he was clutching his bottom where a pig's tail was spiralling out from it.

I snorted, and Dudley shot me a rueful look.

I reached up to give Hagrid a high-five, and he ended up sending me to the ground.

"Sorry." He said gruffly, picking me up and setting me back on my feet. 

Well. I got my wish of not going to St. Marigold's!

11