Chapter 9 – Broomsticks and Duels
173 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On Monday morning, Terry and I met up with Fred and George in the Great Hall. We explained all of the secret passages and shiz to them that we had found, and they were amazed. 

"Yes! You've found them all!" Fred exclaimed.

"Join our clan! Please?" George pleaded.

Terry and I grinned at each other.

"Yeah, sure, why not?" We chorused. 

We even heard the twins gossiping about us to Lee Jordan later on.

"I swear, Daisy Potter and Terry Boot are the coolest firsties we've ever met!"

On the morning of the flying lesson, Neville received a package from his grandmother. He opened it and showed us a glass ball the size of a large marble, which seemed to be full of white smoke.

"It's a Remembrall!" He explained. "Gran knows I forget things - this tells you if there's something you've forgotten to do. Look, you hold it tight like this and if it turns red - oh ..." His face fell, because the Remembrall had suddenly glowed scarlet, "you've forgotten something ..." 

I sniggered.

He was trying to remember what he'd forgotten when Draco Malfoy, who was passing the Gryffindor table, snatched the Remembrall out of Neville's hand.

Harry, Ron, and I jumped to our feet.

"What's going on?" Professor McGonagall said. When did she get here!?

"Malfoy's got Neville's Remembrall, Professor." I said through gritted teeth.

Scowling, Malfoy quickly dropped the Remembrall back on the table.

"Just looking.' He said and sloped away.

"Just looking, my arse." I muttered.

"What was that, Miss Potter?" Professor McGonagall asked.

"Nothing, Professor, nothing ..."

~~~

"Everyone stand by a broom, please. Hurry up!" Madam Hooch said at our flying lesson.

"Stick out your right hand over your broom and say 'UP!'" She called.

"UP!" Everyone shouted.

Mine jumped into my hand straight away, as did Harry's. Floppy's was still on the ground, and so was Pratinson's.

I smirked at them, and they glared at me, saying "UP! UP! UP!"

When we all had our brooms in our hands, Madam Hooch told us to mount our brooms and grip them the way we think we should, and walked among us, correcting.

She nodded at Harry and I approvingly as she passed us. I low-fived him.

I laughed meanly when she told Draco that he'd been doing it wrong for years.

"On my whistle, kick off from the ground and fly ten feet into the air and COME STRAIGHT BACK DOWN AGAIN." Madam Hooch said. "Three - two -"

But before she had got to one, Neville shot off into the air.

"Come back, boy!" Madam Hooch screamed.

Neville flew very high into the air - and then slipped off his broom.

"Holy shit!" I cried. "Prohibere!" 

I had read about that spell in a book somewhere. Neville stopped falling about a foot from the ground, hovered for a second - and then dropped.

"Well done Miss Potter, well done! We'd better get you to the hospital wing just in case, though." Madam Hooch said to Neville, before leading him off.

"You leave those brooms where they are or you'll be out of Hogwarts before you can say 'Quidditch'!" She called behind her.

As soon as she left, Floppy and Dragon burst into laughter. 

"Did you see his face, the great lump?" 

The other Slytherins joined in.

"Shut up, Malfoy." Snapped Parvati. 

"Ooh, sticking up for Longbottom?" Pratinson said. "Never thought you'd like fat little cry babies, Parvati."

Did they know each other before Hogwarts?

"Look!" Dragon said, snatching a Remembrall off the grass. "It's that stupid thing Longbottom's Gran sent him!" 

He held it up.

"Give it here, Malfoy." Harry said quietly. Everyone stopped talking to watch.

Dragon smiled nastily.

"I think I'll leave it somewhere for Longbottom to collect. How about - up a tree?" 

"Dragon, give it HERE!" I yelled, but he had leapt onto his broomstick and taken off. He hadn't been lying - he COULD fly well - hovering level with the topmost branches of an oak, he called, "Come and get it, dorks!"

We simultaneously grabbed our brooms.

"NO!" Shouted Hermione. "Madam Hooch told us not to move - you'll get us all into trouble!" 

We ignored her.

We mounted our brooms, at exactly the same time, and kicked hard against the ground. We soared up, up like birds, only more graceful, and this was amazing - this was something I could do without being taught - the soaring sensation, the adrenaline, the whoosh - this was easy, this was WONDERFUL. I pulled my broomstick up a little to take it even higher and Harry followed suit, and I heard gasps and screams from girls on the ground, and an admiring whoop from Ron.

We turned our broomsticks sharply to face Dragon, who looked stunned.

"Give it here," I sneered, "or we'll knock you off your broom." 

"Oh yeah?" He looked a little worried.

I shot forwards like a javelin. Dragon only just got out of the way in time. I made a sharp about-turn and held the broom steady. A few people below were clapping.

"Two against one, Malfoy!" Harry called.

The same thought seemed to occur to him as well, for he shouted, "Catch it if you can, then!" He then threw it up into the air.

"I'll catch it, you cover me!" I shouted to Harry, who immediately began swooping around underneath me as I raced the tiny ball to the ground, diving, I felt like I had been doing this my entire life - and it was so fun ... about a foot from the ground, I caught it, then swerved upwards and tumbled from my broom, laughing and holding the Remembrall up. Harry, who was until a few feet from the ground (where he was swooping around me) was swooping under me, tumbled to the ground beside me where we both lay there, laughing.

"POTTER AND POTTER!" Professor McGonagall was storming to us from across the massive courtyard I liked to call the middle courtyard. It was a huge stretch of lawn in the middle of the castle grounds. The front courtyard was the one we crossed to get to the great double doors, and was at the end of the bridge. The back courtyard was the smallest one with a tree in the middle, which sometimes my group hang out on the branches of it.

I snickered to myself. 'Potter and Potter'.

"I've never seen anything like it - you could have broken your necks!"

"It wasn't their fault, Professor-"

"Be quiet, Miss Patil-"

"Malfoy-" 

"Enough, Weasley!"

She strode over to Harry and I and tugged us up by the arms. "Come with me!" 

She then dragged us to the castle, me looking over my shoulder at Ron and Shannon, and shrugging.

"Professor Flitwick, could I borrow Wood for a minute, please?" She asked Professor Flitwick when she stopped at his classroom.

Wood, a fifth year boy, came out of the classroom, looking at us two curiously. I shot him a cheeky grin. He shook his head in an attempt not to smile.

Professor McGonagall took us to an empty classroom - well, almost, as Peeves was there, chalking swear words onto the blackboard.

"Out, Peeves!" Professor McGonagall barked.

Peeves cursed and swooped towards the door, before he spotted me.

"Oh look, it's Potty!" We'd been meeting up all over the school, discussing ways to throw Hogwarts into chaos.

"Oh look, it's Peevsie!" I laughed.

We high-fived as he swooped out the door, passing me the chalk secretly.

Wood, surprised, glanced at the door and then me.

"Wood, this is Daisy and Harry Potter. Twins, this is Oliver Wood. I've found you a new Seeker and Chaser, Wood."

Oliver's mouth fell open.

"They're naturals. I've never seen anything like it. Miss Potter here caught a Remembrall after a fifty-foot dive, without a scratch on her! Charlie Weasley couldn't have done it. And Mr Potter here - flying like he'd been on his broom for decades! This is your first time on a broomstick, both of you?" She asked. We both nodded silently.

"Ever seen a game of Quidditch, twins?" Oliver asked eagerly.

"Wood here is the captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team." Professor McGonagall said.

"They're just the right build, too - light, fast - we'll have to get then decent brooms, too, Professor, Nimbus Two Thousands or Cleansweep Sevens, I'd say."

"I shall speak to Professor Dumbledore and see if we can't bend the first year rule. Heaven knows, we need a better team than last year. FLATTENED in that last match by Slytherin, I couldn't look Severus Snape in the face for weeks ..." 

Professor McGonagall peered sternly over her glasses at us.

"I want to hear you've been training hard, you two, or I may change my mind about punishing you." 

Then she suddenly smiled. I was all like, dafuq?

"Your father would have been proud. He was an excellent Quidditch player himself."

~~~

I was sneaking out of Gryffindor tower with Ron and Harry to meet up with Terry at midnight. We'd been challenged to duels, Harry and Dragon, in the trophy room, me and Pratinson in a conveniently large and empty room opposite a tapestry of some guy trying to teach trolls to dance. Dumbass.

We'd told Terry and Ron all about being appointed to the Quidditch team, and they were amazed.

Hermione had also came out with us, trying to stop us, being the interfering girl she is. Oh, Hermione ...

Then we also found Neville, who had been locked out of Gryffindor tower because he had forgotten the password.

So when we had met up with Terry, we all split up, Terry, Neville, and I going one way, to the large room, Harry, Ron, and Hermione going the other way, to the trophy room.

"Good luck!" We whispered to each other before setting off.

When we reached the strange, empty room, we leaned against the wall, waiting for Pratinson to come. She hadn't showed up yet.

The next time we checked our watches, they said 'quarter past twelve'. 

"I don't think she's coming." Neville spoke up.

"Either that, or she's chickened out." I added. 

"She's a Slytherin for a reason." Terry sniggered, and Neville and I giggled along with him.

Then we heard muttering from around the corner.

"They've got to be here somewhere, my sweet ..."

Filch. The guy and his cat I am going to prank about four billion times while I'm here.

But now, I wasn't thinking about pranking him, I was thinking about getting away from him!

"Run!" I whisper-shouted to the both of them. We sprinted lightly away from the room, around the corner, and to the trophy room.

"We were set up." I panted to Harry, Ron, and Hermione who were leaning against the wall. "I think you have been, too."

"Alright, then, let's go!" Ron whispered.

We crept out of the trophy room, Hermione furiously whispering about how this was going to get us into trouble.

"Filch!" Harry gasped, pointing to a dark shape at the end of the hallway. We sprinted lightly down the hall and arrived at a door which wouldn't open.

"Alohomara!" Hermione and I whispered.

The lock clicked, and we slipped inside.

Wait ... this was the forbidden corridor! Yes!

Neville was tugging on my sleeve. "What?" I asked, turning around.

There, behind us, was a massive three-headed-dog.

Wait ... WTF was a massive three-headed-dog doing at Hogwarts?!

We all bolted out of the room, down the corridor, and into the common room, Terry breaking off to go to his.

We all collapsed into armchairs.

"Well, I'm going to bed before any of you come up with another idea to get us killed, or worse, expelled." Hermione said, before flouncing up to our dormitory.

"Well," I breathed, glancing round at Harry, Ron, and Neville, "that was eventful!"

5