Chapter 15 – I Show Not Your Face But Your Heart’s Desire
170 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"It was Snape," Ron was explaining to Harry, Fred, George, and I, "Hermione and I saw him. He was cursing your broomstick, muttering, he wouldn't take his eyes off you. He mustn't've been able to curse Harry's at the same time he was cursing yours."

"Rubbish." Hagrid said, who had come up to the hospital wing about five minutes after my group had came. "Why would Snape do somethin' like that?"

I was sitting on a hospital bed, my foot slowly healing due to a potion Madam Pomfrey had made me take. The group were all around me. Harry was sitting beside me with his arm around my shoulders. Fred and George were perching on the edge of the bed on the other side of me. Terry had collapsed into a chair beside the bed. Hagrid was standing at the foot of it. Ron and Hermione were leaning against the wall, and Draco was still here, oddly, as he had never got on with my group. He was leaning against the wall with Ron and Hermione, and had been talking quietly to them before Ron had spoke up. He was shooting me worried - and admiring? What? - glances every now and then.

Ron, Hermione, Harry and I did a four way glance at each other.

Then Harry spoke up.

"I found out something about him." He told Hagrid. "He tried to get past that three headed dog at Halloween. It bit him. We think he was trying to steal whatever it's guarding."

Harry had gone to get a book off Snape that he had took off him earlier that day, only to find that Filch was taking care of a wound on Snape's leg, and that he was saying, 'how are you supposed to keep your eyes on all three heads at once?'.

"How do you know about Fluffy?" Hagrid sounded shocked.

"FLUFFY?" The four of us chorused. Terry, Fred and George looked up momentarily, before going back into a hushed discussion.

"Yeah - he's mine - bought him off a Greek chappie I met in the pub las' year - I lent him to Dumbledore to guard the -"

"Yes?" Harry said eagerly.

"Now, don't ask me any more." Hagrid said gruffly. "That's top secret, that is." 

"But the greasy slimeball's trying to STEAL it." I said.

"Rubbish." Hagrid said again. "Snape's a Hogwarts teacher, he'd do nothin' of the sort. An' you shouldn' call him a slimeball, Daisy." Though I saw his beard twitch when he said that.

"So why did he just try and kill Daisy?" Draco cried. "If what Weas- uh, Ron- said was true, then ...?"

"I know a jinx when I see one, Hagrid, I've read all about them! You've got to keep eye contact, and Snape wasn't blinking at all, I saw him!" Hermione exclaimed.

"I'm tellin' yeh, yer wrong!" Hagrid said hotly. "I don' know why Daisy's broom acted like that, but Snape wouldn' try an' kill a student! Now, listen to me, all four of yeh - yer meddlin' in things that don' concern yeh. It's dangerous. You forget that dog, an' you forget what it's guardin', that's between Professor Dumbledore and Nicholas Flamel -"

"Aha!" I grinned. "So there's someone called Nicholas Flamel involved, is there?"

Hagrid looked furious with himself.

~~~

One morning in mid-December, I woke up to several feet of snow. I saw it through the window in my dormitory.

I leapt up, and piled on layer upon layer of school clothes to keep me warm, and charged down to the common room. Fred and George were already there, bundled up like me. They grinned at me as I came up to them.

"Let's go!" They chorused, and they marched on either side of me as we made our way down to the Entrance Hall.

We scurried outside. I spotted Professor Quirrell taking a stroll, with his turban still on. He hadn't taken it off all year, the weirdo.

The twins and I whispered excitedly, then, before he knew it, Quirrell had snowballs flying into the back of his turban.

My scar was starting to twinge. I ignored it.

My wand was vibrating slightly, and was warm. I could feel energy coming off it, and I felt sure it was giving me adrenaline. Dogwood, I remembered. Dogwood likes to play pranks.

I smirked evilly and waved my wand in a circular motion at the snow again. Another snowball began to form, and then I flicked my wand upwards. The snowball rose, and then I swished my wand in the direction of Quirrell, and the snowball whizzed through the air and hit the back of his turban again. He was looking around, cowering slightly, for the culprits of the snowball-enchanters. 

Fred, George, and I low-fived.

Then three snowballs hit us from behind.

"If you're all having so much fun, why didn't you invite me?" Terry grinned as he dashed quickly over to us. He was wearing layer upon layer of clothing too.

We all began enchanting again.

"But wait!" I whisper-shouted. "What about if we-"

We all huddled together in discussion, then broke apart, grinning mischievously.

We enchanted the snowballs to follow Quirrell around for the day, hitting off the back of his turban.

All four of us got discovered and a detention.

Then, later, Amy, Shannon, Suzanne, and I sneaked out to Hogsmeade to buy Christmas presents for everybody.

My list was like this:

Harry: sweets (duh xD) and a globe of the moon, because why not :p

Ron: sweets (obvs) and something Muggle-y, like a poster ... that DOESN'T move xD

Hermione: lots and lots of books!

Terry: Zonko's products (Dungbombs, multiplying rabbits, etc) and a wizard watch, because who doesn't like them XP

Fred: Fireworks. Obvs.

George: Fireworks too. Because we're going to need a lot for our last-prank-of-the-year ... >:D

Amy: lots of awesome banners for the Tutshill Torandos, and cool merchandise, because she obsesses over the Tornados like no tomorrow, weird child ...

Suzanne: a plush toy badger ... because she loves badgers, being a Hufflepuff and shit :P

Shannon: fancy quills, because that girl loves quills, and is the strangest girl ever ... apart from me XD

Lee: Zonko's shite XD

Seamus: a toy leprechaun >:)

Dean: another West Ham footy poster ... to annoy Ron with :D

Neville: marijuana. Jk! A magical plant, instead XD

Lavender: some lavender, obvs.

Parvati: a cute ornamental butterfly!!!! Yay!!!

Katie: a toy broomstick xD

Leanne: sweets, because she loves sweets xD

Lewis: more sweets xD

Kurt: yet more sweets (god, my group are fat!)

Ernie: quills and ink, bc that boy likes to study, the weirdo.

Justin: a Pygmy Puff. He's always wanted one of those XD

Michael: a stuffed eagle. Nah, not really, just a plush eagle, because RAVENCLAW!

Anthony: an alarm clock ... hehe ...

Padma: an ornamental bird! Bc YOLO!

Aunt Petunia: flowers :P

Uncle Vernon: a drill. Because he likes drills, doesn't he? That's what his company's all about. Drills.

Dudley: a plush pig. To remind him of Hagrid. XD

(Then there was the bottom of the list ... Draco ... )

Draco: (?) let me tell you a secret ...(I have no idea what he likes!!! O.O)

I looked up from my list. 

"Alrighty, let's go to Honeydukes first!" I said. We bought loads of sweets, not just for presents, but for ourselves as well.

"So many sweets!" Shannon gushed, her eyes sparkling as she looked down into her bag.

"So many colours ..." Suzanne giggled, her eyes sparkling too.

"So much sugar!" Amy grinned, already stuffing her face.

"So many hyper firsties!" I sniggered, before we all broke into the Shrieking Shack and camped out there, eating sweets.

Then, when we'd out-giggled our hyperness, we resumed shopping.

We had all soon bought what we needed, except for me. I was still one present short ...

Then I saw it. It was in the window of one of the shops. It was a beautiful glass daisy, something which you would put on your windowsill, and when the light of the sun hit it, it would send rainbows all over the place, only this one was more intense, because it was magic, I suppose. It sent rainbows, yes, but it was sending something else, too. Little images were sent everywhere, moving. One showed Dudley giving me a piggybag in a forest park. Another showed me and Harry giggling with our arms around each other in a corner in the common room. One showed Hermione and I hugging in the girl's bathroom. Ron and I sniggering at the Gryffindor table. Fred carrying me to the hospital wing. Me and the team after we won the Quidditch match. Terry and me searching for secret passageways in our first week. Me and the twins enchanting snowballs. Shannon, Amy, Suzanne, and I in the Shreiking Shack, giggling. Draco and me staring into each other's eyes after the troll got knocked out. Fred, George, Terry, Ron, Hermione, Amy, Suzanne, Shannon, Draco, Harry, and me, just together. Laughing. 

The sign beneath the daisy read, 'This shows your happiest memories, so that in bad times, or times in which you are away from your friends and loved ones, you'll remember the good times.' 

I went in and bought it. Yeah, I wanted it, but I wanted to give it to Draco.

I think he'd like it.

When I sent it off in its box with Snidget to his house, Malfoy Manor, I remembered the note I'd sent with it.

'Dragon,

This daisy, I hope, will remind you of me. Because it shows your happiest memories on the walls when you put it in the sunlight. Hope I'm one of your sunny rays!

- Daisy'

~~~

Harry, Ron, Hermione, and I had been searching the library ever since Hagrid had let slip Nicholas Flamel's name, because how else were we going to find out what Snape was trying to steal?

But we'd been through loads of books already, and we hadn't found his name mentioned once. Harry and I were wondering if he could be in the Restricted Section. But the thing was - it was restricted, obviously.

We would need a signed note from a teacher to get in, and that wasn't happening.

---

Harry and I were staying at Hogwarts over Christmas, as well as Ron, Fred, George, Percy, Amy, Shannon, and Suzanne. Terry and Hermione were going home. We were all having much too good of a time to think about Flamel, though. Harry, Ron, the twins and I all sat by the fireplace in the Gryffindor common room toasting marshmallows over it. We were also plotting ways to get Floppy and Pratinson expelled, which was fun to talk about even if they wouldn't work.

Ron had also started teaching Harry and I wizard chess, something that Harry wasn't very good at, and I was. I was a champion at chess back in the Muggle world, and I seem to play it just as good with wizard chess.

Neville had lent me his bed in the Gryffindor first year boy's dormitory, as Lavender, Parvati, and Hermione had all gone home, and he, Dean, and Seamus had all gone too, so that I wouldn't be alone.

On Christmas morning, I woke up to a large pile of presents at the foot of my bed.

"Happy Christmas." Ron muttered sleepily to Harry and I, who seemed to have both woken at exactly the same time. Yay for twin powers!

"You too." We both said back. 

"I got presents!" Harry said.

"What did you expect, turnips?" Ron asked, as I opened my presents.

Dudley got me a hair-pin that had a little china daisy on the end. It was so cute! I immediately pinned it in my hair.

Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon got me a new mobile phone. I tried to turn it on, but it went all haywire and turned itself off again. Ooookay. Hogwarts, why you no let Muggle electronics work?

Padma and Parvati got me cute little bows which you tie your hair up with.

Anthony and Michael got me a plush lion and lioness. Were they conspiring?

Justin got me a Pygmy Puff key ring.

Ernie got me ink which turned from colour to colour as you write. Sweet!

Leanne, Lewis, and Kurt all got me sweets! So many sweets!

Katie got me a Snitch of my own. Yay!

Lavender got me some daisies. Did they all look at my list?

Neville got me a toy toad, which actually moves and croaks like an actual toad. Awesome!

Dean got me a football.

Seamus got me a leprechaun hat.

Lee got me lots of Zonko's stuff. 

Shannon got me a very realistic toy snake, which, like the toad, acted and hissed like a real snake. That could be good for pranks ...

Suzanne made me a friendship bracelet out of dried grass. I slipped it on. It was so pretty ...

Amy got me a huge Gryffindor banner with a moving picture of the Gryffindor lion on it.

Fred and George both got me fireworks ... hehe ...

Terry got me lots of Zonko's products, and another friendship bracelet.

Hagrid had made me a wooden flute that sounded a bit like an owl.

Hermione got me loads of books about Qudditch and spells to use in duels.

Ron got me sweets. Like, did he buy the entire shop or something?! There were so many sweets in that box that he got me! And he also gave me a Chudley Cannons hat.

Harry got me even more sweets, and a large poster, that, oddly, had me flying along at the Quidditch match. I didn't know they were taking wizarding photos of me!

And Mrs Weasley had made me a Weasley jumper! And some homemade fudge! That was so nice of her!

And then ... there was a small box left. I picked it up, and opened it. It was a glass dragon ... and there was a note with it. It said,

'Daisy, 

This dragon, when you put it on the windowsill, gives off images from your past that are your happiest memories. Hope you like, and I hope that I'm in one of them!

- Dragon'

And ... was my imagination deceiving me? Was that a faint scribbled-out 'x' at the bottom of the parchment? Hmm.

Oh well. I'm happy at least that I got one of these! They're awesome!

Then I saw a package on the floor beside Harry and I's beds. I picked it up. It said, 'To Daisy and Harry'

I showed it to him. 

"Why do they always put your name in front of mine? I'm the older twin." He grumbled. I sniggered.

We both opened it together.

A silvery grey fabric slithered onto the floor, where it lay in gleaming folds. Ron gasped.

"I've heard of those." He said in a hushed voice. "If that's what I think it is - they're really rare, and REALLY valuable." 

"What is it?" Harry and I said simultaneously.

"It's an Invisibility Cloak." Ron said with a look of awe on his face. "I'm sure it is - try it on."

Giggling, Harry and I stood up and wrapped ourselves in it, and Ron gave a yell.

"It IS! Look down!" 

We both looked down at our feet, but they had gone.

We were completely invisible, apart from our heads. Wow!

"There's a note!" Ron said suddenly. "A note fell out of it!"

I seized the letter. Written in narrow, loopy writing I had never seen before were the following words:

'Your father left this in my possession before he died.

It is time it was returned to you both.

Use it well.

A Very Merry Christmas to you.'

There was no signature. Harry and I stared at the note.

"I'd give anything for one of these." Ron was admiring the Cloak. "ANYTHING. What's the matter?"

I slipped the note into my pocket.

"Nothing."

The dormitory door flew open, and Fred and George bounded in. "Merry Christmas!" 

"Hey, look - Daisy and Harry's got Weasley jumpers too!"  

Fred and George were wearing blue jumpers, one with a large yellow 'F' on it, the other with a large yellow 'G'.

"They're better than ours, though." Fred said, holding up our jumpers. "She obviously makes more of an effort if you're not family."  

"Why aren't you wearing yours, Ron?" George demanded. "Come on, get it on, they're lovely and warm." 

"I hate maroon." Ron moaned half-heartedly as he pulled it over his head.

"You haven't got a letter on yours." George told me, looking at my emerald green one that had little daisies patterned on it. "I suppose she thinks you don't forget your name. But we're not stupid - we know we're called Gred and Forge." 

I sniggered. "Gred and Forge, hm?" 

"Oh no!" Fred groaned. "Now she's going to call us that in awkward situations, aren't you?" 

I smirked. "You read me so well." I said smugly.

"What's all this noise?" 

Percy Weasley stuck his head through the door, looking disapproving. He had clearly come halfway through unwrapping his presents, as he, too, carried a lumpy jumper over his arm, which Fred seized.

"P for prefect! Get it on, Percy, come on, we're all wearing ours, even the twins got them." 

"I - don't - want -" said Percy thickly, as the twins forced the jumper over his head. 

"And you're not sitting with the Prefects today, either." Said George. "Christmas is a time for family."

They frog-marched Percy from the room, his arms pinned to his sides by his jumper.

~~~

We all spent a happy afternoon having a furious snowball fight in the grounds. Amy, Suzanne, and Shannon joined us. Then, cold, wet, and gasping, we returned to the fire in the common room, where the twins and I stole Percy's prefect badge, and he chased us all over Gryffindor Tower.

Then, back in the boy's dormitory, Ron fell asleep immediately, but Harry and I stayed awake. I glanced over to Harry, and jumped to see that he was staring right back at me.

'Let's go explore the school!' I sent to him. 'Maybe we can search the Restricted Section!'

'Good idea.' He sent back.

'Indeed.' 

'Naturally!' We both sniggered quietly.

Five minutes later, we were both under the Invisibility Cloak, in the Restricted Section. Harry was holding up a lamp.

We couldn't read any of the titles, they were all in different languages. Harry shrugged at me, put the lamp down and grabbed a random book. It fell open, and it started screaming? Dafuq?

Harry immediately shoved the book back on the shelf, knocking over the lamp in the process, and it went out. 

Nice, Harry ...

"Quick!" I hissed, and we dove for the doorway. We slipped under Filch's arm, which was outstretched, and hurried away down the corridor.

"Come on, come on!" I hissed again, sprinting lightly down the corridor, tugging Harry along under the Cloak.

"In here, quick." I pushed open the door to a disused classroom. There was a random mirror standing in the middle. I wandered over to it.

"Weird!" Harry said, next to me.

There was an inscription carved around the top: Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi.

"The heck?" I muttered, reading it again.

"Oh, wait a moment ..." I read it backwards this time. "I show not your face but your heart's desire."

Harry was staring into the mirror, his hand pressed against it.

"Harry, what ...?" 

"Our parents, Daisy." He choked out. "Our parents." 

"Yeah." I muttered. "Heart's desire." 

My twin appeared not to hear me.

"Here, let me see." I stood in front of the mirror. A very pretty woman with long red hair and green eyes that were just like mine, was standing just behind me, with a man with hazel eyes and messy black hair that stuck up at the back just like Harry's did, and like mine did when I had that pixie cut in my fifth year at Muggle school.

Then the image flickered, and suddenly Terry appeared right beside me, holding my hand. He glanced over at me lovingly and pressed his lips to mine ...

Then it flickered again and Draco appeared beside me, his arm around my waist and the other entangled in my hair ... we were snogging ... then he drew back, and whispered something in my reflection's ear, and I giggled as he smiled lovingly at me ...

Then the image dissolved, and I was standing with my parents again.

What the heck?!

---

The next night, Harry and I dragged Ron to the mirror.

"I can see myself - only older - and I'm Head Boy - and holding the House and Quidditch Cups - I'm Quidditch Captain, too! And - I'm snogging Dais- I mean, um ..." Ron trailed off.

Harry punched him in the arm.

The night after that, my brother and I went back again.

"Back again, Daisy, Harry?" We both jumped. Professor Dumbledore was standing behind us.

"We didn't see you, sir." We chorused.

"Strange how short-sighted being invisible can make you." Dumbledore smiled. Harry scrunched up his nose, and pushed up his glasses. I sniggered.

"So, you, like hundreds of others before you, have discovered the delights of the Mirror of Erised."

"I didn't know it was called that, sir." I said.

"But I expect you've realised by now what it does?" 

I stayed silent.

"It - well - it shows Daisy and I our family -"

"And it showed your friend Ron himself as Head Boy." 

"How did you know -?"

"I don't need a cloak to become invisible. Now, can you think what the Mirror of Erised shows us all?" 

Harry shook his head.

"Let me explain. The happiest man on earth would be able to use the Mirror of Erised like a normal mirror, that is, he would look into it and see himself exactly as he is. Does that help?"

"It shows us our heart's desire." I spoke up.

"Yes." Dumbledore said quietly. "It shows us nothing more or less than the deepest, most desperate desire of our hearts."

"I'm going to kill Ron." Harry muttered. "He was going on about snogging Daisy. I mean, if she's his deepest, most desperate desire ..."

Dumbledore went on to explain how people have wasted away in front of it, and that it would be moved somewhere else tomorrow.

We both stood up.

"Sir - Professor Dumbledore? Can I ask you something?" Harry asked.

"Obviously, you've just done so." Dumbledore smiled. "You may ask me one more thing, however." 

"What do you see when you look in the Mirror?"

"I? I see myself holding a pair of thick, woollen socks."

We both stared.

"One can never have enough socks." He said. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books."

"Well, at least I know what to get you next Christmas, Professor!" I joked.

6