Chapter 10: Wooden wind
35 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I’ll let you guys choose today,” Robin decided, nodding at Anna and Rob. The three of them decided to spend today doing quests as well, to help out the guild. Since Robin had been picking quests up until now, she decided to let the kids have their pick this time. She, of course, regretted it almost immediately when Robin came back waving a quest for killing some sort of creature in the swamp, being really proud of himself. Anna, fortunately, was more reasonable and came back with a quest for a four-eyed fish located at the now already familiar river in the forest. Robin was actually happy to do that one. Wooden Wind set off to the forest first as per Robin’s request.  Robin walked on the pathway with her head high, keeping an eye out for Nalin and Slate in case they show up again - Robin still wanted to make sure the dive didn’t have any long-term effects.

 

 The birds were chirping and singing in the distance. No bugs were flying about anymore, it was too cold for them. The closer they got to their destination, the louder the sound of water flowing got. Anna got distracted by flowers and other plants a couple of times during their journey, while Rob ran off chasing some animal he said he heard. Robin had to pull them out of the bushes a couple of times before they even made it to the river. When they finally did make it, Rob almost immediately ran off knee-deep into the water with no regard for how cold it was or how wet his clothes would get. Robin was forced to pull him out when he started saying that he couldn’t feel his toes just ten seconds in. Not bothering to start making a fire, Robin just used a spell to set her own hand aflame and used that to warm up Rob again. Anna stayed quiet the whole time and didn’t dare venture too far from Robin. Robin hadn’t stopped muttering about the river being deadly this time of year until Rob looked like he was about to cry - Robin didn’t want to be that harsh as to make a child cry, but he really did have to realize what he did wrong. She figured he wasn’t going to jump into a river anytime soon.

 

 When Rob was well enough to go running off in search of the fish they had to catch again, Robin advised them to split up in two directions and meet back up in the middle in twenty minutes. And so Robin was split off from the humans yet again, walking downstream while the two humans waltzed upstream. Robin still wanted to find Slate again but had no idea how far she could make it and if she would be fast enough to make it to Slate’s tree and back before time ran out. 

 

“BOO!”

 

“SORA!” Robin cursed as she turned around and crouched to a fighting stance, hands at the ready and sharp rocks already flying up from the ground, ready to attack. “Woah! Woah! Easy! It’s just me! Slate!” Sure enough, slate was standing in front of Robin with his hands in the air as a sign of surrender. Robin dropped the sharp rocks back to the ground and stepped closer. Slate dropped his hands and smiled. “What brings you back here?” he asked. Robin didn’t smile in return, instead scowling. “I forgot to mention it, but if you ever do something so stopid again you won’t be allowed to explore anymore,” she said almost casually. Slate paled at the threat, clearly not wanting to lose his freedom. He nodded hastily and Robin continued:“To answer your question, I’m here for a four-eyed fish.”

 

“Quests again? I thought you didn’t do those.”

 

“Robin and Anna decided to and I’m helping them,” Robin explained curtly. “Where’s Nalin?” she continued, noting the absence of a giant lizard. Slate shrugged and replied: “He hangs out alone sometimes. Today seems to be one of those times.” The two spirits stood in silence for a couple seconds, listening to the water flowing. “Well, I’ll head back then,” Robin decided. She had nothing else to really say to Slate since she had delivered her planned warning, but deep down she didn’t want to leave just yet. “I’ll come with you. I have nothing better to do right now. I never do,” Slate said nonchalantly.

 

“Is that why you jumped into a river?” Robin teased with a smirk creeping onto her face.

 

“Shut up.” Robin did so and started walking back upstream, back to the point where she had split up from Anna and Rob. Slate followed loyally, not falling further than three steps behind. The two spirits made it back before either of the humans had returned. “Well,” Robin said as she sat down on the ground. “I guess we have time now. Keep an eye out for that fish.” Slate followed her example and the pair stared at the water in search of a four-eyed fish swimming by.

 

“Robin, who’s this?” Robin heard a familiar voice ask. It was Anna! And human-Robin was probably with her. They had returned from their trip upstream! “Oh, this is Slate. He’s the local forest spirit,” Robin introduced him. Slate nodded and waved a greeting. “Nice to meet you. Robin’s been talking about you.”

 

“And how do you know Slate?” Rob questioned. “Met him yesterday,” Robin replied nonchalantly, not wanting to go deeper into detail. “While doing the quests?” Rob questioned anyway. Robin just nodded. “He does live here, after all.”

 

“Will he help us catch that fish?”Anna questioned.

 

“Sure,” Slate agreed. “Why not?” The four of them headed closer to the river and spread out to make sure they had it covered. They sat there for quite a while, waiting to see one of those four-eyed fish. Rob was first to spot one swimming closer. “Here it comes!” he whispered loudly. Anna raised her hand in signal for Robin, who was last in line and planned to catch the fish using some magic - none of them wanted to repeat what had happened earlier and get wet and cold again. Thus, Robin was ready with her signature razor sharp rocks gently hovering near her, aimed at the water. “Now!” Anna signalled and Robin set the rocks flying into the water.  The fish splashed for a few seconds but it didn’t last long against the barrage of attacks sent its way. Slate managed to manipulate the waterflow enough to get the fish closer to shore and the squad captured it successfully.

 

“Hey, Robin?” Anna approached the spirit. “Yes?” Robin questioned. “What is it?”

 

“Are you going to live here now?”

 

“What?”

 

“Well, you remember when we first met you?” Anna reminded her.

 

“What about it?”

 

“I told you that you would need a new forest to call home. I think you’ve found it.” The two girls turned to look at the boys - the other forest spirit and the blond human messing with the fish by the riverside a little bit further. They were both laughing loudly at some joke Rob had made. Robin smiled, thinking about her old forest and comparing it to this one. Slate had said that he would be happy to share it, after all... “I think you might be right,” she murmured in response.

 

“We will stay at the capital with brother for a week or so before heading on to our next location. You have time to decide if you want to stay. This isn’t far from our home either so it isn’t trouble to visit you and that dragon lives here so you have a new friend too. If I were you, it wouldn’t even be a question. I’d definitely stay here.”

 

“I’ll think about it. Go back with Robin and don’t let him do anything stupid,” the spirit replied with a borderline sad smile. “I think I’ll try out life in the forest again for a little bit. If I’m not back with you in five days, you know my answer.”

 

“Of course. I hope you had fun travelling with us.”

 

“I wouldn’t say that- Looking after Rob was a headache all alone,” Robin laughed. Anna agreed: “I think I know why! Look!” She pointed at the two guys now sitting by the river. Both of the girls could see Rob’s hand scooping water from the river. The blond splashed the freezing cold water at the green-haired spirit, who started protesting loudly and fighting back. “I think it’s just a boy thing,” Anna suggested. Robin was inclined to agree after yesterday’s troubles when Slate had jumped into the river.

 

 That night, Robin stayed in the forest with Slate and slept by the giant spruce tree with him and Nalin. The night was chillier and the air was crisp cold, but Robin enjoyed it. It truly reminded her of her life in her old forest. She decided to spend the few following days there too, but deep down she knew that the decision was already made. She would stay here, with Nalin and Slate, to keep balance in this new forest next to the capital city of the human country. Anna and Rob could visit her and she could venture out to Jason’s house if she started missing the old adventurer.

 

“This isn’t that bad at all,” she thought, looking at the stars shine in the sky. Robin kept her eye on her favourite constellation - the fox - as she drifted off to sleep and dreamt about her new and improved life in this forest.

3