Awakened- Chapter 15: Toward Evanston
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jenny’s POV

As I was watching from the mega breeder suddenly exploding in a big green ball of energy, I quickly erected a barrier that covers me and Jessica, whom it paralyzed her during their fight to the second brain. Jason… 

“Girl, I need you to take Jessica and get her out of here.” She handed me Jessica, whom they inflicted her with the paralyzing toxin. “It’ll wear off for her, but I need ya to get out there now while the thing is occupied. Tell Jack that I’ll be seeing him again soon...”

“Is Jason coming with us?” I was more worried about Jason since i saw he was fighting to stay conscious.

“Go. NOW!” She pushed us out of the body… We began to freefall in the air.

With the mega-breeder’s energy expand toward us, I was closing our eyes… Then nothing… The blast as I saw was only targeting the mindless dead which it was …

“Hmm… Jason…” She is stirring around, she needs to recover. “Is Jason…”

“If the fucking freeloader dies on me, you know I will haunt him. If he knows what’s good for him…” I know Jason can survive this… He gotta…


The battle is won! Is it worth the cost?

After the battle was over, the city of Price was safe from the army of the empties. Not without its price, however…

After telling Jack about Shandi’s last words to him, he broke down. I told him that Shandi also wanted to be strong for her and she’ll see him again, he can't afford to give on her or the city now that he is leading it. Brad would usually chew me out for being blunt toward people but he nodded, which he had to get some rest. His nose was bleeding, for god’s sake.

Burk had to go on the field to look for any survivors and if anything to bring their personal belonging back. I saw a lot of the empties being fried to crisp to having their heads blown off, I even saw some of them like Chad… he didn’t make it but at least he took them some of them... Touchdown…

“Hey! Found him!” Jessica was yelling at me for me to hurry.

“Freeloader!!” I yelled out in the air. “YOU BETTER NOT BE DEAD IN THERE!”

When I got near of the remains of the huge breeder… Jason was still alive, but he ain’t responding… Shandi…

“Oh god…” I tried to shield her from the sight but she was already tears when she saw it.

“What happened?” Samantha arrived after us. She looked at her… “We need to bring it back and prepare for the funerals of those that died. Let’s go!”

“How can you be so cold?!” I yelled at her for making it trivial. “She sacrificed her to save us and you are going to?” I heard moans in my direction… Jason! “Jason!” I’ve hugged him as he was stirring.

“Jenny! Are you alright?!” I punched him in the arm. He shrugged it off.

“Next time, don’t do something like that again!” He laughed it off… Seriously?

“Hmm… Where’s Shandi?” He looked around for her until he saw her remains... he gather them and he incinerated them?!!

“What the fuck is the matter with you?!!” Why he is burning her body parts, is he…? He’s…? Making a necklace out of it, he wrote some words from it. Then got parts of the remains and made it a pouch.

“Honor her by taking it back to Jack, he’ll know what do with it.” He sprinted back to the settlement… What is he?


2 weeks later

Afterwards, we held a funeral service for those that we lost in the defence of Price. Even Jack wore the necklace in a way to honor his late wife. It devastated Brad when he learned she died, but we had no way to consol him. The community rebuilded, like it has during the tough times in this world.

Burk, at least, softens up his stance against us ‘empties’. He lost a brother during the defense, and his sister had to put him down. He later explained that he now lost a brother in arms, his young brother, his community and his beloved. Of course, Christie had to ruin the moment by telling that he had appearances to keep up. 

Jason… Well?

“Are you sure you can’t stay with us here in Price?” We got our stuff packed and ready to go. Brad doesn’t want to stay despite us being a big help.

“Love to, but I had wanted to still see my folks. I had been wondering how they been.”

“I wanted to come and see the town again, someday.” Jason is smiling today. “When there is not a gigantic creature trying to destroy it.”

“Can’t promise you that.” We had a laugh. “Take care, Brad!” 

“Goodbye, Jack.” They shook hands before we got in the van to drive off.

“Jenny, where are you from?” What.. Why didn’t Jason ask sooner?!

“Scottdale, Arizona. That is all you need to know!” He just nodded and look into the scenic view. What has gotten into him, today?


Crossing the border to Wyoming

“So, Jason? Have you and Sam kissed yet?” I asked with a slick smile.

“Yes and no, we are not in a relationship. You forget I am a quest-”

“To reclaim your memories, yes. But Jason, you have been a nasty boy. Tsk Tsk” Oh! Way to make a comeback, Sam.

“Sorry, perhaps I should refresh your memories, ‘Sam’. You kissed me after our training is over. Besides, I think Jenny already knew about that.” He turned to me with a smile. “Unless.. You have a crush on me, already?”

What…? Now, he is trying to flirt with me? You got a lot of nerve, freeloader.

“I wouldn’t date you even if you were the most charming guy in the world.” I know Jason is acting like i wounded him. “I’m definitely not interested in you, Freeloader.”

“Here I thought I am not a freeloader anymore. Yet, I was the one who saved Price from a gigantic breeder by blowing its brain. And you hugged me.”

“Shut it, Freeloader!” I crossed my arms… It is unbelievable that we picked someone from the city of Sandy… He got new powers in his arsenal and he think he is all that… humph.

“Sorry, Jenny! I just enjoy your company. Even if you throw a fit.” Did he…?

“You are so dead, freeloader.” Everyone had a laugh as we began driving through the barrier to Wyoming.

Seth… I really wish you were here with us… I know you knucklehead would be a pain in the ass… but…

“Jenny…” He noticed I was daydreaming. “Are you all right?”

“I’m fine, why would you think that?” Jason frowns when he saw I deflect his question. But he left the matter be. “I’m all right, see?”

“Oh, yes, sure! ‘I’m all right’ until you decide you need to come clean on something. My door is always open.”

You are so stubborn, Jason...

0