Awakened- Chapter 16: Campfire Stories at Bear Creek
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hey Brad, now that we are near Evanston. Can we go camping out at Bear Creek?” Jenny asked if they can visit the park while they are heading to the city.

“I say, let do so since I’ve been fighting types of the dead horde for a long time… I’m sure it is no problem. Right, Brad?”

“How about you, Jason?” Jason waved him off. “I’ll take that as a yes, then. Ready, everyone. On to Bear creek!” Much to the cheers of the group.


Setting up camp

After arriving at Bear creek and getting settled in for 3 days’ stay, the group spend the 1st day catching fish, practicing and train their abilities and for Jason & Samantha to get further acquainted.

Afterwards, on the 2nd day, Jenny actually revealed that her family took her to bear creek years ago when she was a young kid. At first, she hated it and find it boring in the cowboy state. Eventually she agreed to give a chance on finding a lot more than originally thought. She even suggests that they need to get a fresh pair of clothing since wearing the same clothes would be tiresome.

On the 3rd day, took a walk through nature enjoying the view and the sights… Despite a few dead roaming around. Jason is even smiling upon enjoying the trip… while being teased by the girls about his lack of memories.

Originally, they had agreed to stay for 3 days if it wasn’t for the mist that arrived and forced them to stay. That when Jenny came up the idea of getting some ‘exercise’ by fishing and fighting the dead. They grab the fishing rod and went out to the lake to fish, fighting the dead as do so.

“Clean cut!” Jason sliced off the dead of a zombie. “Come here!” He lets a zombie take a bite out of his arm before punching it in the gut.

“Are you done toying with them, Jason?” She whips out her arm, hitting one of them in the face. “You’re lucky you are already dead.” One of them bites her on the neck while grabbing it and flipping it over. She then grabbed it and broke its neck.

“We got a good haul, guys! Let’s head back, I can get them cooked up!” You hear that? Fish fry!


Dinner at the campfire

After getting back from their day, they ate some for cooked catfish and salmon. Brad also used the seasonings he found from the resort there to give it flavor, which it made more delicious.

“This is the best fish fry I ever had!” Jenny is excited to eat foods again. “Also, cooking the fries from potatoes also helped.”

“Keep in mind, we can only eat foods like this while the mist is up. Afterwards, you don’t want to be regurgitate the food after taking a bite.” Samantha smiles at her. “Remember the last time you tried to have some ice-cream?”

“You don’t have to tell me about it.” The question annoyed her. “It was good Ice cream…”

“If the mist comes back, we’ll get some. Promise!” Jason tries to assure her.

“Oh, it is easy for you, freeloader? Since when you ever had time to eat some actual food?”

“I’ve only tasted some Applesauce. You mention ‘Argus Burger’?” Much to Jenny’s surprise.

“The Angus Burger? Yeah.” Brad brought some more fish to eat on the table.

“May want to make it quick, guys. The mist is clearing.” They opted not to have any more since at this point their digestive track will die again.

“Oh, God…” Jason ran to the nearest tree he can find.

“Yeah, excuse me.” Jenny left the table.

“Ha ha! I can guess my cooking must be that bad.”

“No. It is their digestive tracks. You forget too that once the mist clears up, our bodies will shut down again and any leftover food had would come back.”

“Wish that I can have a good beer to drink…” He laments with the mist cleared up, he misses a good drink.

“The best park of being dead…” She smiles at herself. “At least, you get to stay sober and the alcohol doesn’t be hitting your body as much if you were alive.”

“Yep!” Samantha and Brad watch as Jason & Jenny came back. “So, did you have to throw up your dinner tonight? If it is the cooking…” Both Jason & Jenny looked at each other and quickly nods their heads no.


At the Campfire

“Our next destination is Evanston, a human community. We simply heading to get some supplies and move on. They had little to no love for us, Sentients.”

“Of course, I’ve also asked around about these men wearing military uniforms to get more information about them.” This piques Jason’s interest on the matter.

“What do you know about them?” Samantha turns away as if the matter was heavy for her.

“The man that attacked you back at Provo, was part of a specialized unit of zombies that are sent to area infested with the mist to eliminate or capture their targets.”

“What kind of unit?” Samantha’s expression darkened as Jason pressed for more details. “Samantha, you are pulling the same bullshit with me. I noticed you are withholding details from me. I thought you trust me enough not to be hiding it from me.”

“Jason, look-”

“What are you hiding from me?”

“Jason… Look, I’m doing this for your good. I’ve just needed to let you know what I’ve found after the incident at Provo. That all I can get for the time being.”

Jason rose from his seat and walk toward Samantha. She is awashed with conflicts in her mind, and even Jason can see through it.

“Do you really think all you can get? I may not know more about you or your entire life, but you know more than what is going on! Are you in league with the man with the black mask? I bet you led him there to catch me in the very beginning?” Samantha rose from the seat, her eyes filled with fire, her teeth showed. Jason saw Samantha don’t respond well to accusations.

“Jason…” She struggles to keep herself calm on the matter. “Do not accuse me of being in league with that man…”

“Then why did you save me back at Sandy? What am I? An Investment to you? Someone that you can make a profit from?” Samantha’s hands clenched in sweat, increasing in intensity until they became infused with spikes.

“Jason… Please stop! You are pissing her off, man.” Even Brad knows what Samantha capable of should anyone push their luck one too many times.

“Why? So she can sprout more convenient lies? Do I look I was born yesterday?!” Jason is getting fed up with her withholding information from him.

“Jason, do not push me further or I am going to make you regret it later…” Outside she maintains a sense of calm, composed demeanor. Inside, she is like a ball of fire laying beneath.

When Jason realizes Samantha is getting a lot colder than she is usually is, it would have occurred to him he would be better off leaving it be, since he knows occurring her wrath is a bad idea. Especially she can move in a blink of an eye and chop a man’s head with her blade.

“Then you’re the one responsible for all the shit, I went through in Sandy. From my memories being lost, you releasing the dead into the city, probably tried to kill those survivors from Millcreek. All while reporting back to your superiors in the military that is probably watching us EVEN RIGHT NOW!” Samantha narrowed her eyes at him the moment he let spoke those words.


The fury of a woman scorned

Samantha kicked Jason high in the air and then slammed him down to the ground, then she wasted no time kicking him in where his children lived. Then let loose with a flurry of blows that even Jason cannot defend against.

Time slows down to a crawl… She is only getting started.

“I will not be accused!” She kicked square in the face and then toss him to the right. “I will not be threatened or let you make me into a monster that you claim for me to be.” She punched him with her spiked fist to the point he would be a mess when she is done with him.

She continued to pummel him with no mercy to make it clear on why she is very dangerous to have as an enemy. Jason should have just let the matter be, but he HAD to say it when he knows it’ll get him killed.

When time resumes, Jason is at the mercy of the woman who saved his life a couple of weeks ago. She glares straight into him, showing no emotion, drawing out her bio-blade to his face.

“Samantha! Just stop, okay! The freeloader didn’t know what he was talking about and far as I know, you wouldn’t be lying to us, anyway. But please just stop.” Jenny pleaded for Samantha to not kill him for what he said.

“Oh, you still call him a freeloader? Jen, I don’t plan on killing him…” She stomps on his chest. “Nor will I overlook this… You accused me of something I didn’t do. Don’t say another word and listen…” Jason realizes she means business on the matter.

“Don’t say any more at this point because I will not help if you do.” Even Brad clarifies he will not intervene should Jason say else at this point.

“For one, I am not responsible for what happened in Sandy. Two, yes, you are an investment only because Brad insists that I help you.” Jason’s eyes widen when he realizes she considers him as an investment. “Third, I am not and I AM NOT with the military and if I was, they would have surrounded us by now. I have warned you…” She moves the blade closer to his face to reinforce her point. “If you ever accuse me like that again, Jason…”

“You’ll kill me, right?” It only made her push the blade further.

“Yes. And do not finish my sentence while I’m talking to you.”

Jason realized that he should have left alone enough not to push the subject and silently cursed himself for not seeing coming.

“Now, I’m going to sleep in the car. Good night, Jason. I trust you won’t make that mistake with me, again.” She walks off to the van, Jason dust himself off.

“Brad…”

“Look, man!” He gets into his face. “I told you, don’t push her! And you had to anyway, you were fortunate that she didn’t kill you.”

“I did it so she would be more willing…”

“Enough, Jason! I’m going to sleep in the car tonight. Start up anymore shit tonight, you are walking on your own, got it?!”

“I got ya!” Brad walked off to the van, leaving Jason to sleep by the campfire. “Go ahead, say I deserve it, Jenny.”

“Actually, that was unexpected of you, Jason! Who knew your stubbornness would get your ass kicked?”

“Now Samantha hates me because I couldn’t leave well alone enough on the subject.”

“Jason… No, she doesn’t! Learn from this- She ain’t the type that sits well with being accused of something she didn’t do. You forget she was married to an abusive jerk who treated her as a trophy.”

“I suspect she privy to a lot of information that most normal people never even get. I know it connected somehow…” Jenny walks up to him.

“Accuse her won’t help the matter, and testing people’s patience on the matter isn’t always going to work. You hear them out and you understand them as a person, force out of them if necessary but not to the point of breaking a relationship.”

“Apparently, I’m on thin ice with her right now. My stubbornness almost got me killed for it.” Jenny holds his hands.

“Do you really think beating yourself up for it would help?” Jason is speechless at the way Jenny is speaking to him. “I’ve been pushing Samantha’s buttons for a long time. It was like what I did can barely faze her. You, my friend on the hand, did, and she almost killed you for it.”

“Better to leave her be rather than try to talk with her now where she might change her mind and finish the job.”

“Let me know if you are going to patch things up!” They slept at the campfire with Jason regretting what he said to Samantha since he knows she will not forget or forgive.

0