Chapter 3 – The Bane of Tandy’s Hopefulness
744 0 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

News Front

Good morning folks… today I bring you news of a horrific crime against not only our Law Enforcement Personnel but also against the newly publicized ‘mutant-kind'… Late last night, after a short basketball practice, there was an incident that took the life of a promising young basketball star and left the other one injured at the hospital in critical condition…

Reports are two brothers, Tyrone and Billy Johnson, got into an altercation on the basketball court… Tyrone accuses Billy of using his mutant powers to cheat during the game... Billy denied the accusation and the brothers went home arguing…

However, it seems that young Tyrone could not let the animosity go. In a fit of rage, he robbed a nearby store, and when his brother tried to convince him to return the goods, it is said that Tyrone Johnson brutally murdered his brother in cold blood just because he was a ‘mutant’…

Later police arrived on the scene, only to find Tyrone Johnson with a weapon, raping the store owner’s wife after he killed the store owner. Tyrone Johnson later managed to kill one of the officers before he was ultimately restrained…

The entire situation has caused an uproar amongst the black and mutant communities alike… some wishing Tyrone Johnson will receive capital punishment, while others say that the entire situation smells fishy and Tyrone Johnson is innocent…

However, what is the truth behind this strange incident? We will be finding out very soon since this case has been accelerated… it is the first case of its kind and people want to see if Mutant murders will be treated the same as every other criminal charged by our court system…

I am your favorite reporter, Christine Everhart… signing off!

∞∞∞

Two Weeks Later

Papers could be seen strewn all over Johnson’s household as Adina and Otis worked tirelessly to get many things in order before Tyrone’s arraignment the following week.

Adina and Otis were working without sleep or eating. It was only thanks to the people of the community supporting them that Adina and Otis were able to somewhat focus on what was important – freeing Tyrone from the legal system.

The charges against Tyrone were basically a publicity stunt that had to blow up to show the world that Mutants also had the same rights as everyone else.

However, the First Police Officer had a very strong background and somehow managed to twist the story until Tyrone was the only person anyone could think to blame.

The night neither of her sons returned home, Adina knew that something was wrong and started making all the calls she could to determine their whereabouts.

The startling information that her sons had been injured didn’t come from any officer or hospital, it came from a News Reporter that kept criminalizing Tyrone’s name for the world to see.

Otis and Adina didn’t even have time to grieve the death of Billy because Tyrone was going to be put on trial for several charges that made no sense whatsoever.

Ever since then, Adina had been making all the calls to collect all the favors she gained throughout her successful career as a lawyer but all of them gave the same reply ‘I cannot touch this case’!

Adina had to stop Otis from picking up the gun and running to the station to break their son out almost every day, but even she was getting tired of jumping through legal hoops.

We’re fighting a useless battle…” Adina whispered, tears leaking from her bloodshot eyes “What did our boys do to deserve this!?!

I promise you babe… whoever did this… I will find them and make them pay!” Otis promised but he also knew that there was no saving Tyrone or avenging Billy.

The entire investigation was botched and that could only happen if someone at the highest level was pulling the strings.

This incident caused a violent outage in both the black and mutant communities, which meant that should the names of perpetrators get out, they would die no doubt.

So far, everyone only had one person to blame – Tyrone Johnson.

I have one more contact that could be Tyrone’s defense attorney…” Adina stated, dialing the number of a fellow lawyer she had battled several times in court. 

∞∞∞

Nelson and Murdoch Law Office

Hello?... One minute please… transferring the call now!

Inside the adjacent office, the phone beeped and rung a couple of times before a handsome, former big-time corporate, lawyer answered the phone.

Yes? What can Nelson and Murdoch Law Office do for you today?” Matt asked seriously.

Matt used to be a corporate lawyer but with his sight getting worse by the day, he quit his job and turned his life around, deciding to fight for those who could not fight for themselves.

After some conversation back and forth, Matt looked at the files on his desk and agreed “I will be taking this case as the Defence Attorney but be prepared for everything… this case gives me the creeps.

Matt hung up the phone and Foggy walked into the office beaming “How does it feel to have your fellow enemy lawyer beg you for help when she looked down on you for all those years?

Under any other circumstances, it would feel good but now, a kid who barely started his life will be going to jail for a crime he didn’t commit,

Nelson frowned “What makes you so sure that the kid didn’t commit the crime?

Because the reports say that the Police arrived after the kid had killed his brother but the bullets recovered in the autopsy were from a police-issued rifle,” Matt replied dismissively.

Though, if Matt was being honest, he was sure that Tyrone was innocent because he felt like he was there.

Matt was jogging a few blocks away at the time of the shooting and with his vision fading, he was training his other senses to pick up the load.

When the incident happened, Matt felt his senses go into overdrive and suddenly, he could see everything happening around him like a world on fire – including the fact that Tyrone never had a gun on his person at all.

∞∞∞

Tandy and Tyrone at Boston Goal Prison

You’re healing up nicely?” Tandy asked from across the glass screen that separated her from her boyfriend and soulmate, Tyrone.

If anyone was taking the news of Tyrone’s imprisonment hard… it was Tandy since their argument had occurred the same day.

Even now, only their breakup was replaying over and over in Tandy’s mind.

Maybe if I would have said something different or done something different.’ was all that Tandy could think about.

Tyrone didn’t reply to any of Tandy’s questions, just looking at the ground in an attempt to hide the bruises and bumps that plagued his face from the minor beatings during his week in prison.

After the incident where Billy was killed, Tyrone spent exactly a week in the hospital before he was shipped to the Boston Goal Prison near the center of Boston.

Luckily, Tandy managed to pull some strings and get him a comfortable cell separated from other inmates but he could never stay hidden for long.

At the first sight of Tyrone during recess, three inmates worked together to beat him to the ground. Though, they were quickly stopped by some other inmates who felt sorry for the kid who clearly didn’t belong in prison.

Actually, Tyrone had asked Tandy to leave him alone on several occasions.

He was thankful to Tandy since he would already be dead in General Population but after losing Billy, Tyrone just didn’t have the will to continue living.

There was this overwhelming darkness clouding his mind, fighting to get out and take him wherever he wanted but for some reason, he couldn’t leave Tandy behind and the shadows would always retreat from his dreams by the time he woke up.

We will get through this… I promise you!” Tandy said, pressing her hand against the screen, expecting Tyrone to do the same as a show of commitment.

After all, Tandy was the only reason Tyrone hadn’t died along with his brother. The moment she arrived, the officer that was going to kill Tyrone recognized her as a rich kid and knew he was in deep shit so he refrained from killing Tyrone.

Even if she would do anything for Tyrone, Tandy also expected some show of gratitude in return for saving his life but that’s not what she got.

Tyrone tore the phone from the wall and tossed it at the screen separating him from Tandy.

Bang

Tandy jumped backward in fright even though the glass separated them.

Get through what Tandy? Can’t you see where I am?! My life was over the moment Billy protected me instead of himself… Don’t you see? A mutant is dead and they need someone to blame for that! We only dated for a fucking year… I don’t expect you to stay with me through it…

Tyrone began to cry “Tandy please! Just leave me be… People like me don’t get out of prison once we get in! My life is over and you’ll be dragged down with me… every fucking day, I stay in my cell trembling, wondering when the guards are going to leave the door open for someone to come in and shank me!

Tears dripped from Tandy’s eyes but she didn’t relent “I know you don’t see it now but you will win this case and get acquitted of all charges… we’ll be at school together again and -

And you’ll still be the whore of the school and I, the guy who got all the leftovers? I might as well take my chances in here… there is nobody to cheat on me!

Tyrone’s words pierced through Tandy’s fragile heart and she passed out on the spot, eyes blank, still holding the phone to her ear but her heart shattered to pieces and her mind in total disarray.

The guards that came with Tandy quickly noticed the situation and carried Tandy to the car while directing vicious glares at Tyrone.

Tandy’s mother was sick and her father was distant so Tandy had major abandonment issues but even then, anyone could see that Tyrone had no future so it was better for Tandy to get her heartbroken sooner rather than later.

Tyrone began smacking his head against the class as soon as Tandy was out of sight.

I’m sorry… I’m sorry… I’m sorry…

The guards did nothing until Tyrone passed out from bagging his head too hard. Then he was dragged back into his cell like an animal and tossed inside without any decorum.

∞∞∞

Day of Arraignment (Three Weeks After Incident)

Tyrone was escorted into the courtroom by two Officers who would also sometimes join in his daily beatings in prison.

Inside the courtroom, Tyrone saw his mother and father who seemed to have aged ten years in the three weeks since his lockup.

Lockup was not a new experience for most of the kids in South Boston but Tyrone had never been locked up for anything more than stealing a couple of pieces of candy from a nearby store.

It was one of those things everyone did as a kid and the police would lock them up as a warning to keep them on the straight and narrow.

Tyrone glanced around the courtroom as he was escorted to his seat but didn’t see Tandy anywhere. That made him both relieved and a bit sad simultaneously.

The judge cleared his throat and began the proceedings “We are here today to advise you, Tyrone Johnson, of your criminal charges… and might I add, these charges are more absurd than I have seen in all my career…

I understand!” Tyrone replied, trying to sound as casual as possible but the breaking of his voice could be heard by his parents.

Mr. Murdoch… will you be involving yourself at this point in time?” The judge asked, looking at the fancily dressed man who had just entered the courtroom.

Yes, your honor!” Matt replied, taking his seat next to Tyrone.

Matt bumped Tyrone’s shoulders as the judge continued to explain useless information “How have you been holding up kid? They rape you in prison yet?

If they had, why would I tell you?

I can tell they haven’t as yet!” Matt stated and then pointed to Tyrone’s legs “They usually push a broom up your ass so you wouldn’t be able to walk normally for a while and you sound like you walk pretty normal when you entered the room.

Excuse me? What do you mean sound?” Tyrone asked, having a bad premonition about the answer.

Because I am almost completely blind, obviously!

Tyrone shrugged “Oh well, I am glad my parents didn’t get me a good, expensive lawyer since I didn’t want to get my hopes up… so thank you!

After a long rant, the judge started “On the count of Violent Crime, Aggravated Assault, Attempted Rape, Robbery, Manslaughter… how does your client plead Mr. Murdoch?

Matt played with his collar for a while, bent down, and whispered into Tyrone’s ear “Okay, let me show you how it’s done. This way you can learn something about the world…

Your honor!” Matt paused for dramatic effect, glancing around the courtroom “My client has never had any incidents in the past and has always remained an upstanding citizen of this beautiful country of America. Even as his parents struggled to make ends meet, he stayed on the straight and narrow…

Otis and Adina felt some hope rekindle in their hearts since Matt was known to be the most exceptional lawyer that money couldn’t buy, but Matt’s next statement surprised everyone in the courtroom.

Still, his mother is a bitch and I can’t imagine someone remaining sane with a mother such as her… so sadly, even the best students break sometimes. My client pleads guilty to all charges and asks for the death penalty!

Tyrone was not expecting to get the charges dropped but Matt’s statement still sent a striking pain through his heart, making him bow his head as tears silently fell from his eyes.

Everyone in the courtroom didn’t know how to respond but the judge, being the professional he is, quickly came up with an adequate reply “Well, so be it! Who am I to stand in the way of such a repentant youngman... the maximum sentence of capital punishment will be carried out!

Matt looked at Tyrone’s sobbing shoulders and whispered a couple more words into his ear “Remember this kid! Everyone has a price! I came in here ready to defend you to my last breath but when someone offered me my sight back… well, even I wouldn’t bet against such a person…

Then the second tragedy in Tyrone’s life occurred.

Bang

Bang

Bang

Matt dropped to the ground, three shots through the chest and everyone in the courtroom scrambled to get away but there were also the cops returning fire. It had become a disastrous slaughter in a single second. 

Bang

Bang

Bang

Tyrone heard a pain-filled scream exit his mother’s throat and then raised his head to witness his father falling to the ground with a gun falling from his hands.

Otis had killed Matt for betraying his son and the officers had retaliated and killed Otis. Adina just crawled to the side, screaming and infinitely terrified by what had just happened.

Tyrone was pulled out of the courtroom by the officers as he struggled to get to his father’s side. As far as anyone was concerned, Tyrone Johnson had been found guilty of all the crimes in the world.

∞∞∞

News Front (One Week Later)

Here I am again folks… I am your favorite Reporter - Christine Everhart… here to bring you the first real account of what happened in the courtroom a week ago… Outside the courtroom, we heard a rain of gunshots that could only have come from a UZI or custom-made weapon of some kind…

Tyrone Johnson’s lawyer, Matt Murdoch, was said to have died in the altercation. During his brief time defending Tyrone Johnson, Matt Murdoch could not stomach the atrocities Tyrone had confessed to and broke his oath as a lawyer to become a man of truth instead. Sadly, Otis Johnson, Tyrone’s criminal father, would not let Matt do the right thing.

Right in the middle of the courtroom, Otis shot Matt dead and then proceeded to commit suicide. Sources believe that this was under the instigation of Tyrone Johnson, who is suspected of being a mutant with the ability to control the minds of others. This guess was later cemented when early this morning, we found Adina Johnson, Tyrone’s mother, having committed suicide by hanging...

The information is still forthcoming but this case had spiraled so much out of control that Tyrone Johnson will receive capital punishment for his crime in just a couple of hours... and so ends the tragedy of The Johnson Family…

∞∞∞

Tyrone in Boston Goal Prison

Tyrone remained in his cell ever since the courtroom incident; he refused to eat, talk or even move from his spot.

A couple of days ago, a group of men entered his cell to administer Tyrone’s daily beating but many of them left within an inch of their lives.

Tyrone had a lot of suppressed anger and the only thing he looked forward to was releasing it. Inside Tyrone’s hand was a letter mailed to him by his mother just this morning.

Tyrone didn’t even need to read the entire letter, just the ending “I am sorry I wasn’t strong enough son!

Tyrone folded the letter carefully and put it inside a small bag that he would always carry around. The guards didn’t mind him having such things since he was a kid.

The cell bars clicked open and Tyrone tightened his fist, ready for another fight but someone unknown walked into the cell.

It was neither an inmate nor a guard but judging from the way he was dressed; Tyrone could tell that everything about the huge man in front of him screamed ‘luxury’.

The huge man walked around the cell, not once giving Tyrone a glance.

And who the fuck are you, man?” Tyrone asked, trying to sound as threateningly as possible since it often worked with the other inmates.

The man shrugged “Tandy’s father… Wilson Fisk… I have come to offer you a deal.

Tyrone leaned back against the wall and dropped to the ground “I haven’t seen Tandy in weeks and I am a deadman walking… by later today, I will be dead and out of mind… so if you wait long enough, your problems will solve themselves…

Wilson nodded his head “That’s what I thought as well but it seems the girl refuses to let you go… though, she has fallen back into her old ways in your absence… let me show you!

Wilson snapped his fingers and an Officer quickly brought a tablet into the cell and handed it to Tyrone.

Tyrone watched the screen and it broke his heart all over again…

Tandy was sitting on the lap of a strange guy as they made-out intensely. It was the final straw that broke the camel’s back and Tyrone felt every bit of hope drain away from his body.

Black smoke clouded Tyrone’s mind and even without noticing it, everyone could subtly feel a colder chill running throughout the cell.

Tyrone smashed the tablet against the ground “We’re not together anymore so it’s not my problem!

But it is…” Wilson stated “I am here to offer you a way out… just promise you’ll never see Tandy again and you, Tyrone Johnson, will be free to live your life however you please… under the radar of course… think about what your mother would have wanted? It’s not a shame to run away until you can fight back and I see you have a lot of fight left in you, boy.

Tyrone shook his head “I don’t have any fight left… if you can get me out of here, I would disappear peacefully and neither you nor Tandy would ever see me again.

I hope so Tyrone… I really do hope so for both our sakes.” Wilson murmured, snapping his fingers as two men entered the cell, bagged Tyrone, and exited.

Then two more men entered the cell, dropped Justin inside the cell, grabbed a couple sheets, and hung him up, making the entire crime look like a suicide.

Then Wilson exited the cell and everything was set in place. As far as anyone was concerned, Tyrone Johnson hung himself inside his cell.

∞∞∞

Tandy Bowen

Ever since that argument with Tyrone inside the prison, Tandy had been feeling especially bubbly and filled with life.

Even after Tyrone had said all those bad things about her, Tandy couldn’t stay angry at him so she watched him from a distance, prepared to intervene should everything go awry.

Of course, she called her father to help him so Tandy was confident that Tyrone would be fine eventually.

For some reason, Tandy felt a lot of hope bubbling inside her: hope that Tyrone would be acquitted, hope that they would be together, hope that he would forgive her, hope that he would love her again.

Soon, the overwhelming feeling of hope began to trickle over and Tandy decided that she needed to burn the energy off by partying again and so she did.

With all the hope in her heart, Tandy hoped that Tyrone wouldn’t mind her enjoying herself a little while he was locked away.

The hope grew more intense as the days passed but something dark inside Tandy kept her aware of her boundaries… the darkness made her know that something was wrong with her behavior.

She should be supporting Tyrone and at his side instead of feeling so overwhelmingly hopeful about everything but Tandy couldn’t help herself.

She had been this hopeful her entire life and without Tyrone around to balance her out, Tandy just kept hoping and hoping… hoping until she crossed the line one night and brought a guy home.

Still, that last piece of darkness inside Tandy still held her back, and apart from a few kisses, Tandy was quickly growing irritated by her own attitude.

I think you should leave… there is something wrong with me!” Tandy said to her male companion for the night.

The guy gripped Tandy’s hand and pulled her onto his lap, giving a few more kisses along her neckline “We have come this far, we might as well go all the way. I know you feel the same about me as I do about you. I always watch you dance at the club and it’s beautiful…

Tandy sat there, on the lap of a stranger, an innate fear overcoming her heart, whispering to her that something bad was going to happen at any moment…

And it did…

Wilson activated the hidden camera in the room and Tyrone witnessed Tandy with another guy… the final hope inside Tyrone was extinguished and the final darkness inside Tandy also extinguished…

Without anything to balance the overwhelming hope bubbling inside her body, Tandy succumbed to the nuances of the party life and made out fervently with the strange guy.

A tear silently slid from the corner of Tandy’s eyes but instead of feeling pain, she could feel nothing but hopefulness.

17