Chapter 36 – No Reason
59 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tyrone and Sprite continued to watch television, switching from one movie to the next…

Around an hour later, Tyrone was lying on the ground and Sprite stood on his back, using her toes to relieve the tension in his muscles…

Out of all the positions they had adopted over the past couple of hours, this was the most comfortable for them both…

“Little more to the left…” Tyrone groaned, enjoying Sprite’s massage while watching the new movie – PROMETHEUS…

Sprite was also enjoying the movie while stomping down on Tyrone…

It was a win-win situation…

Soon, the end of the movie came in the form of a Space Ship shooting off into the unknown void of Space, desperate to get back to a home countless galaxies away…

Usually, it would be Tyrone’s job to draw inspiration from the movies on Television, but this time, it was Sprite that found inspiration…

It was a longshot, but it was a chance nonetheless…

“I have an idea…” Sprite murmured, hopping off Tyrone’s back to adapt a look of absolute concentration…

Sprite closed her eyes and projected a golden globe of the Earth that occupied the majority of the room… 

Tyrone was instantly startled… not by the projection, but by the fact that whenever his fingers brushed a location on the map, an illusion of the place would enter his mind…

At one moment, he was in the depths of the Amazon Jungle, then with another brush f his fingers, he was within the waterless planes of the desert…

A kind of desolate feeling accompanied each location, like Sprite, herself, had traveled all over the world and experienced nothing but pain…

Slowly, the projection of the Earth shrunk while simultaneously isolating key locations… until finally, one location remained lit on the entire Earth…

“An Island in the middle of the Bermuda Triangle?” Tyrone questioned and then turned a bit sarcastic “Well…that’s not ominous at all…”

Sprite opened her eyes to glance at the location “That location is going to be a bit tricky because-”

Tyrone groaned and clutched his head as a bit of information rammed into his mind…

“That Island is the forgotten entrance to Weirdworld - one of the domains on Battleworld, one that contained sorcery and strange perverted science for it was composed of fragments of many magical realms including Crystalium, Polemachus, and the original Weirdworld…”

After he was finished reciting the information like a robot, Tyrone knelt on the ground due to exhaustion “How do I know that?” He questioned, looking at Sprite suspiciously…

Sprite also frowned, not having much of an idea since Tyrone knew things that were a mystery to her as well…

She knew about the entrance to Weirdworld, but everything else was news to her…

The only reason she could think that would allow him to possess such Ancient Knowledge is the…

“Curse…” Sprite shrugged “Maybe it’s the curse…”

Due to the sudden distraction from Tyrone, Sprite lost her grip on the illusion and the projection faded into thin air…

Tyrone rose to his feet “So… what was that just now… did you find a way back home?”

“In some Universes… we have our counterparts…” Sprite explained, slumping onto the bed exhausted “This is the Multiverse… sometimes we don’t exist – I don’t sense anyone like me on this planet so maybe I never came… or something else could have happened, but just now… for a moment… I was able to detect the location of the ship that brought me to Earth…”

Tyrone frowned “So you are like what?... an Alien that came to take over the world?”

“Not the thing we should be focusing on…” Sprite dismissed Tyrone’s nonsensical question because, honestly, she didn’t know the answer “The ship in question runs on Cosmic Energy and has advanced technology that can help us break the barrier between Universes… then you just need to navigate us back to the right Universe…”

“Are we sure that’ll work?” Tyrone asked, doubtful…

Sprite nodded “It’s basic Logic… you need to build energy to break the barrier, then you get pulled into the Multiverse… I am taking energy out of the equation by shattering the barrier enough to let us through, then you just need to navigate us…”

“I am not sure I can do it…” Tyrone frowned, not liking all the guesses involved with the plan “You said we have counterparts in this Universe, right? What are the chances we find another version of me to do the job?”

“Not very high…” Sprite reluctantly answered, “If there was more of you, the Multiverse would have been destroyed a long time ago… considering all versions of you are idiots…”

Tyrone laughed nervously, deciding not to tell Sprite about the version of himself from another Universe that gave him these abilities in the first place…

That version of him died… so…

It was best not to follow the example…

“So-”

“SHSHSH!” Sprite signaled, hopping from the bed and pushing Tyrone behind her…

A couple of minutes passed in absolute silence until, a sharp adamantium claw cut the knob from the door, forcing the door open to enter inside…

A baggily dressed Laura walked into the room but saw no one… Sprite had already cast an illusion that disguised the room as if she and Tyrone were not there…

Sprite and Tyrone watched in absolute silence as Laura examined the room carefully, sniffing the bed here and there to determine their whereabouts…

Due to the tense situation, a bead of sweat rolled down Tyrone’s cheek and silently fell onto the ground…

But what was silent for Tyrone could not evade the superhuman sense of Laura…

“Rawg!” Laura yelled, extending two adamantium claws from both wrists and jumping into action, slicing at the position of Sprite…

Sprite's eyes glittered with golden radiance as she waved her hands and reduced Laura’s sharp claws into colorful butterflies…

Before Laura could react, Sprite showed no mercy and used her illusions to increase the size of her feet and stomped Laura in the face…

Just as Sprite was about to become smug about beating a child, a single claw extended from both of Laura’s feet and she slashed at Sprite…

Tyrone watched as the girls fought for no reason at all… he would have stopped them but the fight looked like children fighting over a toy – a deadly battle for a deadly toy…

It wasn’t until one of Laura’s claws drew a bit of blood from Sprite did Tyrone see it fit to intervene…

Unlike Laura who was genuinely a child, he knew Sprite had the tendency to embrace her darker side when push came to shove…

And Sprite did push back…

With a wave of her hands, Laura knelt on the ground deprived of all her senses…

Tyrone stepped behind Sprite and gently rubbed her shoulders “Just calm down…” he urged “She is just a child…”

Sprite sighed and restored Laura’s senses…

Just as Laura was about to start another rampage, Sprite waved her hands and Laura fell into a deep sleep…

Tyrone sighed “Remind me again, why you couldn’t do that in the first place?”

“I thought she wouldn’t be able to hit me…” Sprite admitted though she was more concerned with showing Tyrone that she was not a child…

Sprite walked to Laura and picked her up, pushing the animalistic little girl onto the bed…

“Little Devil!” Sprite cursed, punching Laura twice in the face to relieve her frustrations “I wonder who she killed to steal that clothing… doesn’t even fit her!”

“She is a kid…” Tyrone argued, covering Sprite with a blanket “She didn’t kill anyone… probably stole it from somewhere…”

“Didn’t you see her in the forest, slicing people in half?” Sprite reminded, and Tyrone’s steps faltered…

He was unconsciously treating Laura as he would any child at the Outreach Center, but this was obviously not the Outreach Center… it wasn’t even the same Universe…

“I see your point but…” Tyrone sighed sadly “I don’t understand why they would train a kid to become a killer… she doesn’t even look like she knows anything beyond roaring and killing people…”

Sprite shrugged “Humanity has always been the same… they just got better at hiding it… I have seen child killers for thousands of years – even trained a few myself…”

“Get some shut eyes…” Tyrone urged, pulling Sprite along as they curled in a corner to get some sleep…

The morning was a couple of hours away, and they were both exhausted…

-----------------------

JAMES HOWLETT (WOLVERINE) xx OUTSIDE EL PASO HOSPITAL

Logan hopped into his Limo frustrated…

Just as he was about to get his hands on the boat that would deliver him and the Professor to freedom, the person who owned the boat raised the price…

Had it been the past, Logan would have taken the boat without a second thought, but now that his body was weakened by age, such actions were beyond him…

Not just his body, but also his temperament had faded over time…

Logan was prepared to drive off when the door opened and shut, signaling that an uninvited guest had chosen to enter his vehicle…

“Has she found you yet? ...Gabriela?” Daniel questioned, not even a bit careful considering he was talking to one of the Legendary X-Men…

Logan replied with a blank look that promised a world of hurt if Daniel didn’t exit his vehicle immediately…

But Daniel continued unbothered “See, I’m not looking for you…” he explained nonchalantly “Not really. I’m looking for someone who’s looking for you…”

“Grrrrr…” Logan’s reply was a grunt of annoyance, but the tired look in his eyes betrayed his show of hostility…

“Now, that woman Gabriela… she took something of mine. Something for which I am responsible. When I wasn’t looking. She is a Mexican lady. Long hair, long legs, long gone. Has her sights on you…”

“I don’t know any fucking Gabriela… so leave me the fuck alone…” Logan snorted, and Daniel rolled his eyes…

“I just need a little cooperation and we will have no issues…” Daniel stated and slid outside the limo “Call me if you hear anything…” he said, and tossed his business card into the Limo’s front seat…

Logan caught the card and read it…

DONALD PIERCE -- CHIEF OF SECURITY

TRANSIGEN RESEARCH, A DIVISION OF ALKALI

Tossing the card away, Logan started the car and went to pick up his next appointment – a group of stinky brats…

------------------------

Laura awakened and jumped towards the wall, ejecting her claws and clinging to the wall as she prepared for whatever was to come…

The last thing she remembered was fighting Sprite and then… there was nothing else…

But obviously, she lost if she ended up asleep on the bed – not that a good night’s sleep could be considered a loss anyway…

Laura retracted her claws back into her body, and took in all the scents around…

She was used to battlefields, so when she didn’t smell any blood, rubble, or overall destruction, her tense nerves calmed a bit…

It was only when she trusted her sight, which came secondary to all other senses, Laura realized that she was indeed in a motel room…

Still, a distinct unpleasant scent assaulted her nostrils…

It was, of course, Laura herself…

Being in an explosion after gutting numerous soldiers and the person who owned the clothing she was wearing made her smell a little unpleasant…

Laura dashed into the shower, and thirty minutes later, she exited the bathroom to find suitable clothing waiting on the bed…

Without care for the consequences, she lit her previous clothing on fire inside the bathroom, and exited the door without a care in the world…

She was busy following the scent that had become all-too-familiar to her – Tyrone’s Scent…

Ignoring the smoking room behind, Laura leaped over the balcony and dropped to the ground, tracking Tyrone’s scent for about a mile up the road until it intermixed with the smell of food…

Entering the diner ahead, Laura instantly saw Tyrone and Sprite around a table, eating very slowly while discussing a topic she could only vaguely hear…

Next to Tyrone and Sprite was an empty seat and a plate of waffles…

Without decorum, Laura dashed across the diner and hopped on the seat, munching the food like an animal as she side-eyed Tyrone and Sprite suspiciously…

Laura gouged the food like there was no tomorrow… sometimes, she didn’t even chew before she swallowed, causing Tyrone and Sprite to blush in embarrassment as more heads turned in their direction…  

“Easy, kid…” Sprite kicked Laura from under the table “The food won’t run away…”

“Grrr!” Laura grumbled and Tyrone was quick to pull his chair further away, afraid to be on the end of one of those sharp adamantium claws…

Sprite remained unbothered until Tyrone pointed something out she would rather have forgotten…

“A couple of days ago, you were eating like that…” Tyrone reminded, speaking of their times hustling for food on the streets of New York like it was last year, but it was just a couple of days ago…

Sprite choked on her food, and made the fork in Tyrone’s hand disappear in retaliation for embarrassing her in front of the animalistic child named Laura…

Tyrone bit into his fingers but didn’t groan…he had become used to Sprite’s antics…

Actually, Sprite was desperate to differentiate herself from Laura because they both looked child-like, and weren’t that far apart in height…

Realizing he had brought up one of Sprite’s many insecurities, Tyrone coughed to change the topic “So… a deserted island in the middle of nowhere is our best bet to get home?”

“Yes… and we need a boat to get there… a very good boat…” Sprite grumbled, not willing to answer Tyrone but also unwilling to be silenced by his poor choice of words…

After all, men were known to misplace their words at times, and Tyrone was a pseudo-man at best, so he was bound to get a lot of things wrong…

“Maybe we should-”

Sprite was about to suggest another course of action, but Soldiers walked into the Diner at that exact moment, causing Laura’s stuffed mouth to growl once more…

Laura’s claws slowly extended from her fist, but Tyrone was quick to grab her hands and ruffle her hair as if he was consoling his own child…

“No fighting, SQUIRT…” He shouted, ensuring everyone in the Diner heard him…

The Soldiers walked by the table three times, and then exited the Diner… Laurel’s growl grew every time the soldiers passed by, but all the soldiers heard was the giggling of a child…

As far as the soldiers were concerned, Tyrone was a white father ruffling the hair of his disobedient black daughter(Laura) as a mature busty beauty(Sprite) watched over them with a gentle smile on her face…

Sprite had cast the illusion the moment she and Tyrone entered the Diner, so there was no one to suspect a happy mixed-race family…

“We need to leave…” Sprite hopped to her feet the moment the soldiers exited…

Tyrone frowned “Why?”

Sprite looked at Tyrone… or rather, the illusion she had overlaid on his physical features…

Sure, the illusion started out like a normal one, but whether by accident or her passive-aggressive thoughts towards him, Sprite had slowly warped the illusion to become a goo-like monstrosity…

There was no way the guards didn’t notice that…

They probably just went for some backup…

Still, when Tyrone asked why, Sprite could only shrug “No reason…” She replied, not wanting to own up to her wrongs…

2