Chapter 37 – Chopping Legs
51 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Then why should we leave..." Tyrone argued, relaxedly taking another bite of his scrambled eggs "We are fugitives, but we don't have to behave that way... that's how you get caught..."

Laura and Sprite would have taken Tyrone's knowledge much more seriously if his face wasn't currently falling apart due to Sprite's waning powers...

It was amusing to see that Tyrone's face was becoming as scrambled as the eggs he was eating...

"We need to leave..." Sprite ordered, still unwilling to admit her illusions were failing "Unless you wanna go with PLAN B – wait until your ability miraculously returns?"

Tyrone sighed "My power is unstable at best... waiting till it recharges could take days, months, and maybe even years..."

"How long did it take when your ability first transported you across Universes?" Sprite questioned, already determining that Tyrone was not from her Universe...

After all, whenever they walked around, he would look at everything like he came from an entirely different world...

At first, Sprite thought he was a Country Bumpkin or something, but obviously, he was just from an Alternate Universe's Future...

That made more sense to Sprite than a Country Bumpkin...

"This is actually the first time I used my ability while conscious..." Tyrone admitted, causing both Laura and Sprite to frown in admonishment...

Tyrone hurriedly added "We need money, and I don't advise stealing since we are already wanted..." he was trying to shift their attention away from his unreliable ability...

Before Sprite and Tyrone could even argue about the methods through which they would acquire funds, Laura dropped a thick stack of hundred-dollar bills on the table...

Sprite's and Tyrone's eyes bulged...

Sprite had only recently regained some of her memories, so the hard life of a drug addict was still fresh in her mind...

Dropping money in front of Sprite could only mean one thing – PARTY TIME...

Before anyone else could lay eyes on her treasure, Sprite waved her hands and disguised the stack of cash as flashcards used to tutor children...

However, while Sprite was imagining the possibilities of the cash, Tyrone's hands already made a grab for the cash...

Sadly, his fast hands were met with a single claw extension from Laura...

"Ungrateful little child…" Tyrone complained, admonishing Laura in low grumbles…

Sprite raised her eyes fiercely, telling Laura that she also wanted the money, and she would take it if necessary…

The tension in the air caused Tyrone to frown…

Sprite didn't like Laura for some reason, and after her defeat the previous night, Laura was more than willing to go a couple of rounds with Sprite…

However, there was something else Laura wanted even more…

Without the need for any more threats from Sprite, Laura placed a picture on the table – a picture of someone her mother hoped she would find…

Tyrone glanced at the angry man in the picture, looked at Laura, then glanced back at the angry picture…

"That's definitely your father…" Tyrone confirmed his guess instantly "You both have neutral faces that look angry…"

Sprite would have usually made fun of Laura, but it was true – she could tell that the man in the picture was as wild as his daughter…

"Logan Howlett?" Sprite questioned, reading the name imprinted on the picture…

"Grrr…" Laura grumbled a little softer than usual, and Tyrone somehow knew that it meant 'yes' in Laura's Growling Language…

"She wants us to take her to her father…" Tyrone confirmed, turning to Sprite for her opinion…

After all, even if he acted like the leader, Tyrone knew that he and Sprite were a team, so if they both didn't agree, then they would not help Laura at all…

One thing to note was the fact that Laura had some shady organization chasing her…

It was probably more trouble than the money on the table was worth…

But Sprite had grabbed the money and stuffed it into her pockets without thinking as deeply as Tyrone had…

"Let's take her to her father!" Sprite cheered, pulling Tyrone and Laura towards the exit…

Her mind didn't think pass the money on the table…

Laura made sure to snatch the last sausage out of her plate before Sprite pulled her outside…

-----------------

A couple of seconds later, Tyrone and the girls exited the Diner without paying…

As cheap as Sprite was, she left a couple pieces of paper on the table and disguised it as money…

Usually, Tyrone would argue it was wrong, but there were times to care about morals, and there were times to avoid dishes at a Diner…

"We need a car…" Tyrone mentioned, scanning over the Parking Lot to determine an easy car to steal…

"No need…" Sprite beamed "Someone is volunteering for us…"

"Grr…" Laura's growl caused Tyrone to glance left…

Three guys dressed like the everyday thugs stood watching Sprite as if she was a meal ticket to the greatest dish in existence…

Just as Laura's claws were about to extend, Tyrone patted her head and signaled her to remain quiet…

He didn't notice at first, but thinking about the smirk on Sprite's face, Tyrone quickly realized that the three thugs were facing the wrong direction…

Without any warning, the three thugs burst into a sprint and dove headfirst into a wall on the far fight…

"What did you make them see?" Tyrone questioned curiously…

It obviously had to be something farfetched to get three guys to charge into a wall with such determination and anger…

"I showed them their girlfriends sleeping with other guys…" Sprite laughed evilly…

It was the best joke she had pulled in a couple of years…

"I didn't know your ability worked that way…" Tyrone frowned…

He always thought that Sprite's ability only extended to illusions, but now he knew she had the ability to somewhat pull things from the minds of those intended for her illusions…

Sprite shook her head "My illusions can also show something you already expect to see… these guys thought their girlfriends were cheating on them, so I just allowed them to see what they expected to see…"

"So, you can't read minds and stuff?"

Sprite shook her head "I can trick the mind, not control a mind… as someone from the future, you should know that the mind often tricks itself into believing things… I can exploit those gaps in the psyche… so in some ways, it can make people think I can read minds as well…"

"You seem comfortable telling me everything about your ability…" Tyrone smirked "What if we become enemies someday…"

Sprite's steps paused, and she sighed "I would never want to fight on the opposite side of a battle from you… because… I would probably kill you… but even then-"

"Even then… what?" Tyrone inquired, curious to hear Sprite's answer…

Sprite looked Tyrone in the eyes, and at that moment, everything faded away…

Tyrone suddenly saw Jessica staring into his eyes with her arms around his waist… the feeling of love that radiated from her eyes made him infinitely happy…

It was like the one thing he ever wanted, had always been there, right in front of his eyes…

But the illusion faded, and Tyrone came to his senses, staring into the eyes of Sprite a couple of feet away…

She stood next to a white car as she watched him with a sad smile…

"Human minds always have the same gap…" Sprite explained, "As long as I tricked you once, I can toy with you until the day you do…"

Tyrone frowned since he knew… it probably pained Sprite more than it pained him…

After all, she was looking for the one person she couldn't trick, and he was not that person…

"I'm sorry I am not that person…" Tyrone whispered…

"It's okay…" Sprite waved her hands dismissively "I have high standards…"

Tyrone brushed past Sprite and opened the car…

The car belonged to the three guys who had ill intention towards their group earlier…

Tyrone didn't even notice when Laura walked across the Parking Lot to pick up the bodies of the three guys…

They had rammed into the wall so hard that their necks were broken…

Without any decorum, Laura opened the trunk and tossed the bodies inside… it was a bit surreal, watching a small child throw massive bodies into a car trunk… 

Tyrone sighed and walked to the trunk, pushing Laura aside as he adjusted the bodies to fit more securely inside the trunk…

He was lamenting the fact that he was used to such events – people dying…

Sprite quickly joined Tyrone, fixing the bodies into the trunk…

"This reminds me of when we first met…" Sprite mentioned, referring to the way they thoroughly tied the bodies of Sprite's Drug Dealers to a rock…

"And this doesn't disturb you?" Tyrone questioned…

Sprite shrugged nonchalantly… she was growing irritated since one of the guys was particularly large, and his legs couldn't fit into the trunk…

There was no way they could leave the bodies behind since someone could track them…

Tyrone frowned, and Sprite also had no way to solve the matter… they definitely didn't want to put the guy in the backseat…

And that's when Laura had an idea…

Without asking permission, she simply extended her claws and slashed through the legs of the large dead body…

In one fluid movement, Laura grabbed the severed legs and tossed them onto the nearby highway…

Laura's thought was very simple – if the legs couldn't fit in the trunk, then she just needed to cut it off and throw it away…

Sprite and Tyrone froze as the leg was tossed onto the busy highway…

Without a single word, Tyrone and Sprite got into the car, and he started the vehicle…

Laura hopped into the backseat just before Tyrone hit the gas and they departed the Parking Lot of the Diner…

The next half-mile was traveled in absolute silence…

--------------------

About thirty minutes later, Sprite was the first to break the silence…

She materialized a belt in her hands and slashed it at the backseat, but Laura was on high alert and immediately dodged…

Before Sprite could perform another strike and escalate the matter, Tyrone managed to grab her hands as his other hand kept the steering wheel steady…

"Release me, Tyrone!" Sprite yelled, eyeing the furious Laura like a predator watching her prey "I need to teach her manners… this is how kids learn! You have to whoop their ass!"

Tyrone sighed "Let me ask… why are you going to punish her?"

"Because she threw the severed leg into traffic!" Sprite justified proudly…

"Not because she desecrated a body?" He pointed out, and Sprite calmed down…

Honestly, she saw nothing wrong with chopping up a dead body, but there was a proper way to get rid of the body…

Tyrone stopped the car at the next red light "Before you punish her… you need to make sure that you have the correct reason…"

Sprite sighed and relented while Laura had a smug smile on her face…

Laura had a bit more favorable impression of Tyrone, even if he smelled disgusting…

A couple of seconds passed, and the red light had yet to change…

Sprite glanced outside at the family in the car next to them…

It was an interracial couple – a black man with a white woman, and their kids seemed like a convenient mix of their best qualities…

"So… humans eventually change for the better…" Sprite admired…

"It's beautiful…" Tyrone admitted "But there will always be a form of discrimination…" he mentioned and gestured to a massive poster near the road…

'REPORT A MUTANT IF YOU SEE ONE… SAVE HUMANITY FROM THE CREATURES!'

"I guess the experiment was successful…" Sprite muttered, but what she was talking about, even she wasn't sure…

"Grrrr!" Laura growled out the window as the children in the opposite car waved at her…

She was not as anti-social as Sprite and Tyrone believed, but she had just lost her mother, so she wasn't feeling as calm as everyone else…

The car continued forward…

Five miles later, the car was passing through a small town…

"Turn left…" Sprite instructed, and Tyrone did as he was told without any question…

He knew Sprite was more attuned to detecting danger than he was… even Laura was surprised and began to sniff the air, hoping to detect what Sprite had discovered…

"We're being followed…" Sprite confirmed, and Tyrone finally realized that the earlier family was still trailing behind them…

He would have never noticed if Sprite hadn't pointed it out…

"What the fuck!" Tyrone cursed angrily "I know that couple was shady… how did we get discovered? We played our roles to perfection…"

"I don't know…" Sprite shrugged innocently, and Laura slightly blushed…

Neither of them wanted to admit that Sprite's illusions had been failing since the Diner…

"They are probably trained spies…" Sprite lied through her teeth without blinking an eye "Maybe they noticed something wrong…"

Suddenly, the car behind sped up, and a small child poked his head of the car's skylight…

The child held a bazooka in his hands, and took aim for the car holding Tyrone, Sprite, and Laura…

"Now that's just wrong…" Tyrone grumbled, swerving the car left, but that was not enough to avoid a targeted missile launch…

---BBBOOOOOOOOOOOMMM---

The next thing Tyrone felt was the spinning of the car through the air…

Laura's teeth were gritted as her claws slowly extended from her wrist…

Tyrone turned his attention to Sprite and slowly extended his arms, hoping to cradle her to offset any injury they might receive…

But that was when he noticed the abnormality…

Everything was moving in slow motion, and everything was spinning, but Sprite seemed unbothered as she watched him with a mischievous smile…

'Why is she smiling like that?' He thought, but could not discover anything amiss…

Well… there was one thing amiss – everything was moving in slow motion…

Tyrone knew he couldn't move at superspeed, so the fact that he could see everything moving so clearly in slow-motion was a bit odd…

"Figured it out yet?" Sprite asked casually, and Tyrone grew speechless…

"How?" He questioned…

Sprite's eyes flashed goldenly, and the next moment, the car that was floating in the air weightlessly after an explosion, was suddenly back on the ground driving normally…

---BBBOOOOOOOMMMM---

A loud explosion boomed from a couple of miles to the west, exactly where they would have been had Sprite not instructed Tyrone to turn left instead of right…

Not giving Tyrone a chance to ask the multitude of questions on his mind, Sprite interrupted "I can't keep this up for long so drive fast!"

Honestly, Sprite was a bit smug on the inside, and she could keep up the illusion for a couple more minutes, but she liked to move Tyrone around at her whims…

There was no greater joy in her heart than instructing Tyrone to do something, and watching him do it without complaint…

It was a bit perverted, but she often dreamed about opening her legs, and he would just crawl to pleasure her without the need for her to explain herself…

"Yeah, I would never do that…"

"Pardon?" Sprite was startled when she heard what Tyrone said…

'Did he develop a mind-reading power…' she questioned internally, wondering how much of her fantasy he witnessed?

It could ruin everything if he knew her goal so early on…

"I said… I don't know how you did that…" Tyrone repeated, confirming that Sprite had misheard him, and he was talking about the earlier slow-motion illusion…

"Yeah…" Sprite patted her non-existent chest in relief "That's what I heard…"

Their journey was rapidly approaching its next stage – a large city…

2