Chapter 12: Bonds
477 3 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My consciousness swam, flickering in and out as I tried my best to open my eyes. The headache assaulting me made it difficult to form coherent thoughts, but I slowly came to the realization that I had faceplanted into the ground. My ears were ringing and my vision blurry, showing me nothing but dirt and grass. I could feel my nose stinging, refusing to let air pass as it was clotted with blood. I felt lost and confused for a moment, trying to stir my memory of what happened and Lucie's face flashed in my mind.

Right. Another sneak attack. Where are they?

An involuntary groan came from me as I turned my head, pain pulsing like a heartbeat across my skull. My hearing was clearing and I could hear very muffled shouts but little else. I blinked my eyes multiple times to clear them and regain focus on the four shapes moving back and forth in the darkness. An occasional flash of light would blind me for a second, leaving spots in my vision.

As my mind cleared and the pain burning at the back of my head subsided, a new sensation of discomfort flooded into me as if it was always there but had simply not registered it. A feeling of insatiable hunger. It was as if my stomach had been twisted and wrung, and I could feel shudders creeping up on my limbs. A sharp scent of blood hit the back of my mouth as I breathed in, smelling it despite my clogged nose. My vision refocused and sharpened, eyes instinctively darting to search for the source.

I could see it. An abundance of cuts riddled the werewolf, but the truly mouthwatering sight was the gaping, gushing wound on its back where Lucie had stabbed it. The wound from the rock was gone but I did not care. I needed that blood. I wanted that blood.

I propped my arms underneath me and pushed myself up, only to recoil and fall back down with a yelp of pain as my head impacted something hard right above me. I could not help but curl up on the floor and grab my head as the pain from moments ago resurfaced, but as I peeked out I could see four gazes linger on me. Three contained shock and one a threatening, teeth-baring growl.

In the brief moment of clarity with my vision restored and the fighting interrupted, I finally took in the scene before me. Within a dome clear of fog surrounding us all, an exhausted-looking Tristan was backed up against the house, leaning on what was left of it for support while spikes and segments of the wood protruded out to shield him. He held out his palm in the direction of the werewolf with his sword planted in the ground next to him. Lucie and Larry were both standing on either side with their backs to him, spread out to flank the beast. Larry's sword was once again glowing red hot like a torch in the night. He did not look much worse for wear than before I was knocked out, but Lucie was holding her sword in her left rather than the currently limp right. The sleeve of her jacket was perfectly fine so I could not tell what was wrong.

The fighting quickly resumed with the werewolf gunning for Lucie, causing Larry to spring into action to strike from behind while she backed off with light steps like a fairy dancing on the surface of a lake. Whenever it turned to Larry, it would be peppered with jets of water as a distraction to keep it from landing any decisive blows, if it even could truly injure him. The occasional flash of light supplemented them in keeping it always wary of where it looked. They were playing a game of cat and mouse as it did not seem like there was any way for either side to finish each other off. I could not tell who would run out of steam first, but Tristan seemed to be the biggest contender.

I looked upward to see what I had hit earlier and saw Qubit to be the perpetrator. Shoving it aside in frustration but also thankful it helped clear my head a bit, I sat up and unsteadily brought myself to my feet. I kept my mouth closed shut to avoid the scent of blood getting to me again, feeling the hunger gnawing away at me but it would have to wait. It took all of my willpower as well as the throbbing pain to keep me focused.

That was when I noticed Larry occasionally throwing me glances and looking to shout something, but everything sounded muted, distant. I realized what he wanted and covered my mouth with my sleeve.

"Qubit, go drop rocks on it." Even my own voice sounded as if it was underwater.

I gave Larry an acknowledging nod and watched Qubit rise up in pursuit of the werewolf. I spotted my sword in the corner of my vision and quickly grabbed it while waiting, which seemed like an eternity but as soon as its target was directly beneath, one started to materialize.

This time it was not nearly as effective as the first as the werewolf stepped away, relenting in its brief pursuit of Lucie to watch the skies. What it did not expect, however, was for the rock to suddenly curve and slam full speed into the side of its head as it tried to turn away, sending it tumbling to the ground. The resulting damage was a much more gruesome caving in of its snout and skull than when it bit down on Qubit. It was not out for the count yet though as it weakly tried to get up, but before it could actually do anything, two swords skewered it in the heart and neck. Its entire body shuddered for a brief moment before falling limp.

A moment of stillness fell upon us all as we watched the corpse, still tense but slowly and surely, we each let out our held breaths one by one. I saw each of the three fall down and relax, with Larry looking like he was laughing. I, however, could not share in their elation as I had a whole new concern right now. I could feel my focus slipping as my eyes were drawn to the blood flowing down the two blades. I dug my nails into my arm in the hopes that the pain will once again clear my senses but it was not enough. I had to drink but not in front of them.

I did the only sane thing I could at that moment. I ran. I turned in the direction of the farmhouse and bolted without looking back. I could hear a muffled sound reminiscent of a shout coming from behind but I ignored it as the fog swallowed me. I nearly slipped and fell into the stream when I reached it but caught myself as I clambered up the bank. The broken-down doorway soon greeted me and I ran into the bedroom, shutting the door behind me as soon as Qubit caught up.

"Quick. Give me the wolf and rabbit. I need the blood!"

What materialized in front of me were not corpses but rather five clay jugs from the pantry, three full of blood and two mostly, with a pair being warmer. I did not question it as I dived right into the still-warm rabbit blood, not caring as some dripped down my chin. Unfortunately, it was not nearly as satisfying as either the hare or woman and merely left me craving for more. I quickly moved on and only on the fourth one did I start to feel myself calm down a notch. The pain assaulting my head lessened considerably to the point where it was more nuisance than a hindrance. My hearing was also restored as I heard the sound of footsteps approaching from outdoors.

I quickly stash away the last of the blood along with the jars, glad with how versatile the storage was. I wiped my mouth as well and hoped it would be masked with my nosebleed. Now I just had to think up an excuse as to why I ran away.

It would be a shame but if I end up looking like a weirdo, so be it. I need to stay behind anyway as the sun is about to rise.

I waited in the room while sitting on the bed, hoping whoever it was would pass by so I made no effort to help them. I used the time to try and think up an excuse but was coming up blank.

"Valerie?" It was Larry.

A pang of guilt for still hiding suddenly hit me when I heard him call my name and decided not to lie. I could only hope they will accept it and move on as they did not seem like people that would force others against their wills.

I knock came from the door, letting a sad smile played upon my lips at the courtesy despite not knowing I was here.

Or maybe he knows. I'm not exactly a master of stealth.

"It's open."

The door slowly creaked open to reveal Larry's head peering in, opening it fully only after seeing me.

"Is this your home?" he asked, still standing in the doorway and watching me, his expression kept neutral.

I nodded in response. It basically was ever since I found myself here so it was not a complete lie.

"A bit fit for the part, but, are you alright? It looked like it got you good."

Once more I bobbed my head but the words meant to accompany the gesture were stuck in my throat. I found myself unable to look him in the eye as my voice cracked upon my next words.

"I don't know."

I moment of silence passed by us as I searched for the words to fill the void but came up empty.

How they must see me. This is how they will all see me now.

"We will leave around midday after we rest. You can still come with, meet up the rest of the village folk in Arenol rather than stay here on your own. Don't know who made it but..." He trailed off and I could tell he was hesitating. "The uhm... I'm sorry, but, the girl you wanted to save..."

"It's alright. I didn't know her." I said in a quiet, meek voice.

I had very complicated feelings about her survival, as she was a witness and victim of my actions but she did not deserve any of what happened to her. At the very least, not as far as I know.

I could not bring myself to look up at Larry and see what kind of expression he had after the reveal.

"If you are worried, I won't pry about your enhancement, or past for that matter. It was pretty obvious there was no other way you lived there but we all have our circumstances, I understand. We owe you too, and I'll damn well make sure they don't bother you if you decide to come."

"Thank you. I'll think about it. Please tell Lucie I'll be alright. She seems so caring and I don't want her to worry. And my best wishes for Tristan and his recovery."

"I'll tell Lucie alright, but at least see us before we leave, regardless of your decision. You can wish him well then, and maybe it will help you decide when the time comes."

With that, he turned and left without saying goodbye. Even with him gone I could not bring myself to look up as I felt ashamed with how my words failed me.

23