Chapter 3: Virtual Reality Module and Simulation
60 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wright was checked again and again. The scene the medics create attracted attention from his surroundings.

 

“I am fine. Nothing serious since you all helped me. Let me go there and submit my paper please.” Wright even had to plead so that they would stop treating him like a patient with severe diseases.

 

“Hope that you will be fine. Although this place is not pleasant to your eyes we will strive for the best to serve people in need.” That was said by one of the people Wright had seen to give him that electrolyte drink.

 

After that, Wright returned to the previous place he had been queued for. He even asked Traza for securing it for a while. Fortunately, Traza did as he asked or else he had to start over again, he did not want that to happen.

 

“Thank you. Uhm…is there something wrong?” when Wright saw that Traza held his lunch box, he realized the sour and stink smell from that rotten veggie spread faster some people frowned at it. Traza stared when Wright returned, his expression told Wright that he was unpleasant by that fact.

 

“How the hell did you place rotten veggies as your lunch menu!? Don’t you have something better to eat?” Traza said in a low but cold tone. Wright swore that he could see the whole face of Traza turned red, the same as his eyes.

 

“Calm down, chill. This is just my usual day where I have to…” Wright struggled but in the end, decided to tell Traza when he was interrupted.

 

“Stop. That words of yours are going to be worse if I’m not stopping it. Is this the result of you lacking money and even refusing to use the allowance from the empire and donate it instead?”

“Yes. I can’t deny it since that’s the fact.”

 

-

 

“John, are you there?” after the noon arrived, it was also the time for break and Tanasha used it to call John. She felt that the only person that could help in this situation would be John. But she had to tell him the things that Wright had to face.

 

“Hm, is that you Tanasha? What’s wrong?” John recognized the voice and he had an ominous premonition since she called him this soon.

“Can you tell Mister Wright about the things I will tell you next, please? I met him and even served his registration process so I feel obliged to tell him but unable to do it.”

 

Then Tanasha told John about something that related to what Wright had to do to clear his debt in the unit. When John heard it, he was saddened. Tanasha told him all of this not only because John was involved but because she could see that Wright was in a tight situation despite the fact that the empire had given allowance to any unemployed people.

 

She then realized that Wright perhaps had his reason not to use the allowance, he may have been used a little portion of it and the rest of it was used to do other things. This piqued her interest since most people would use free money to justify their laziness but Wright did not look like someone who hated hard work.

 

“Wright, he…he has to do that kind of things!?” John was angry. What Tanasha told him was Wright had to receive extra training. John knew very well that with the food Wright consumed daily, it was already a miracle Wright did not get any sickness. Extra training was good and bad at the same time.

 

If Wright could pass it, he would gain another useful knowledge and prepared for any unexpected situation. But that also meant Wright had to spend more energy which was not good for someone like him with junk food as daily consummate.

 

“I’m sorry. I cannot do anything to that and you probably know the reason for that treatment. The least I can do is to tell you about this so that you will tell Wright to prepare himself. There is still time for him to consider this and you and I can help him.” Tanasha softly said.

 

She could only think of helping Wright occasionally and John also thought the same. The first time John encountered Wright, he left John with a very good impression. John became a bit happier and that was the reason he could meet Tanasha.

 

-

 

“Here is my paper and proof of registration.” Wright glanced at the person in front of him. The person in front of him had this sharp eyes and when their eyes met, Wright felt like his back was cold. The stare was so much pressuring Wright that he thought safety was at risk.

 

That person went straight to grab Wright’s paper and read it. Wright carefully looked at this person and realized that the person skimmed through that paper as fast as possible. He is too bored with the same paper the registrant presented, right? Such as what Wright thought.

 

“Hey, bring me the things related with this paper.” With a monotone, the person ordered the one beside him, who wore standard military clothes to get something.

 

“Here, your cluster, your training schedule and the time for anything else related to being in Temporary Militia Unit. I wonder why most people want to join this unit and it is the Air Force that gets the most. There are also Infantry and Navy to be considered but I think that is because of the advancement in aviation technology recently.” The person then gave Wright additional information in a paper with special material covered it.

 

“Young man, sorry to bother you but what is your purpose for joining this unit? Some people joined because of poverty, some others because of crimes and some because of their dreams?” Wright was surprised to be asked.

 

Wright then turned all of his body around, a smile covered his face. He opened his mouth, “Well, you can say that I fit to be in all of the three reasons you said. I don’t know why you sir mentioned those three that truly suitable for my situation but those are also my reason.”

 

Wright then went to the side, waiting for that person to register himself. The person in charge was surprised to hear that answer so much that Traza had to stand in front of him waiting.

 

‘That man, I do not know why but he has his reason. Hmm, according to the paper here he is here because of poverty resulting in light crimes and joining the Air Force to be able to fly is his dream. What a coincidence it is.’ This person then chuckled before he returned to his monotone voice and cold face.

 

After the two met again, they shared in which cluster they would be going.

 

“It says here that I will be joining the 44th Cluster. Traza, why are you looking me pitifully?” Wright read his part of information again when he realized Traza looking at him differently.

 

“You’re unlucky. Because it is you, I will tell you that I will be joining the 88th Cluster in the Air Force.” Traza laughed a little before he looked at Wright in a serious manner.

 

“What is this!? A number doesn’t bring any fortune nor misfortune, it’s our belief that brings it to us. The only unlucky thing for me is for you to be in the different cluster though.” Wright said with a hint of disappointment.

 

“So, to know each other even after this how about we shake our hands?” Traza suggested which Wright followed with his right hand raised. Then both of them clasped each other’s hand and shook it. They faced each other before a faint smile appeared on their face.

 

“May we meet again if fate permits.” That was what Traza said to Wright before he left.

 

Following the signs that already placed around, Wright arrived at the large hall with all kinds of devices in every place. Wright had seen the paper and he knew that he barely qualified in its standard. And he could hear some people screaming due to the pressure they experienced.

 

‘What is this place? This is so cramped, I believe that this room has been refitted to be a multi-purpose room perhaps. And damn, what are those spinning thing up there?’ Wright focused on the source of the scream.

 

It came from the spinning thing Wright had seen. After his eyes readjusted to the speed, he could see a small ball at the edge of it spinning at a rather high speed. That would surely put a lot of pressure to anyone inside it.

 

‘Am I able to endure that? I don’t know what kind of result I can achieve but let’s be optimistic a little.’ Thought Wright.

 

That human centrifuge Wright had seen was developed and created by Multinational Corporation Longen. Actually, Wright was impressed by the development of the aviation by this corporation because it caused an advancement in aircraft leaped by several years ahead.

 

Then a voice from the speaker could be heard to the entire hall if not being interfered by the scream.

 

“Welcome to the 44th Cluster. For the new recruits, please sign your attendance and follow further instruction. The attendance can be signed at the center of the hall.”

 

Wright then walked toward the center where a large table was located. There was also a line that separated it from the human centrifuge above it. It was a large barrier and Wright knew that it cost a thousand times of money he was paid in the past at the minimum.

 

“So here is the one who has the problem.” When Wright arrived at the table and wrote his signature, he heard a mocking voice right beside him. Wright frowned but decided to face the person anyway.

 

Then he could see the person. He was sneering while his eyes were looking down at Wright. Wright could feel the aura of a noble from that person and he looked good both in his physics and his appearance.

 

“Anyone joining this militia unit is a troublemaker in nature. Well, anyone like me is expected to make trouble but you, what did you do to be able to arrive here?” Wright was confused about where this person’s capability of arrogance came from. Temporary Militia Unit was also a place where people who had a problem come in.

 

Wright was a civilian so it was normal but the person in front of him was likely related to nobility. That was the problem. It meant that either it was a special task which Wright had read in a certain web on the internet or they had done something terrible, a heinous crime.

 

It was indeed dangerous to poke your nose against the nobility but this was in the military, everyone is as worthless as grass or the worthy unit that needs to be taught with a harsh but effective lesson. And discipline was of utmost important so Wright had not worried about dirty tricks.

 

‘Though I have to see what kind of person I have to face. It is destined that this person and I are going to be like cats and dogs. A direct confrontation is good since all of us are the same in this place.’ Wright though carefully and still had to accept it.

 

“What did you say!? I know you. You are Wright, the one who late to pay the taxes because of his own inability.” That person said.

 

“Yeah, inability to get good luck.” Wright shrugged his shoulders and instead spoke with the one that responsible at the table, “Sir, what should I do after this?”

 

Because Wright just ignored the person afterward, that person also did not say a word. But he looked at Wright with an ominous glint before he snorted and left.

 

“Well, we have to place you into the simulation and then placed you into the human centrifuge to test your endurance against the G-force you will experience in the future. After that, we will have to form your body and spirit so that you can both physically and mentally prepare. So hard for me and so hard for you all…” the responsible person at the table was someone with a chubby appearance but he gave an impression of easy to get close with.

 

Wright brightened and smiled before he said, “Okay. Thank you for your concern. Can I do the G-force test last?”

 

Truthfully, Wright was afraid to get on that thing! His spirit was stronger since he got to see what it felt like to be a part of Air force who had to do task mainly involved in the airspace. But he wanted to be a pilot, so he had to face that human centrifuge no matter what.

 

‘I can refuse but that means I am not qualified to use a jet plane. That is why my first choice will be the simulation.’ Wright thought of himself as someone who could at least capable of doing the simulation at the average on the first try.

 

-

 

The Simulation Room.

 

Wright then applied for one of the modules by the same Multinational Corporation Longen. He knew that at most his scores would be just average because he had never used or trained to do it in the first place.

 

“I can only give cheers to you all new recruits. It’s okay if the result is not up to your plan though. Good luck.” A man with a lab coat and eyeglasses cheerfully waved at Wright. Wright did not know the reason but he felt that person was here for some reason.

 

Wright could see perfectly when they were at a close distance that the identity card on his left chest was clearly stated his profession as a specialist in the Virtual Reality and Artificial Intelligence Development. He felt that his module was the one that four-eyed man was cheering for after Wright came to the realization.

 

“I know it. These models are not even in the military. Perhaps some of it exists in the special operation simulation but not for the militia! Looks like both I and this module are going on its new experience on the same day. Hahaha.” Wright could see as the module closed completely and Wright was put to lie position.

 

He saw the number of the model was indeed something he had never seen even in the common internet information.

 

The greatness of this module was it capable of moving the consciousness from the person to the simulation world.

 

[Welcome to the N-0821 Simulation Module]

[Registered as Wright by comparing the data on the server and from the physical appearance of the user]

[Flight Simulation Begin]

[Level 1: Use and Fly the single seated chopper to the location required while following the instruction]

 

Then the view changed into the interior of a single seated chopper above helipad. Wright then heard instruction as to how he should raise the chopper, how to lower its altitude, to move it forward and backward.

 

[Boom, chopper destroyed] the first prompt of failure when Wright tried to do some light maneuvers but then suddenly wind came to hit the chopper from the side, upturning it and instantly crashed to the ground.

 

Then Wright tried again and this time he grumbled in his heart, even he had to take account of the change in the air as that would also affect his flying. Wright was unaware that the module he used was actually the one that fully supported the user.

 

“That Module N-0821, how is the overall performance?” that person with the identity of the specialist in Virtual Reality and Artificial Intelligence Development asked seriously to one of the staff that overlooked the entire simulation room.

 

The room itself contained numerous Virtual Reality Module that was able to be used by a person. As for the one Wright was used at the moment, that was the newest model with a slight change to it.

 

“Sir, the performance is truly more realistic in that module. I dare to say that there are some weather effects that truly impacted the user so the failure chance increased and ask the user to increase his or her mastery to fly.”

 

One of the staff answered. The staff could only think of one thing and that was, Whoever that man in the experimented module, I can only pray for good luck to you. Not only that module is for the elite pilot but it also trains their flying mastery over their difficulty to fly in any condition given.

 

“Ha, ha. Did I pass the first test?” Wright realized that the instruction had stopped ringing into his ears. His ears went deaf because the instruction was the same but the situation in each trial was different. Wright now could fly the chopper perfectly but that was just the take-off part but it did not include the side wind that may come or perhaps the sand storm.

 

Wright glanced at the right corner of his eyes only to find that he barely passed the test. And he spent two hours going at it. He was tired both physically and mentally but he had to try all of the basic before he even could experience what it felt like to fly a jet plane.

 

‘Am I too selfish? This is already long enough for someone to start training in various vehicle and yet I’m still stuck here with this chopper. Let’s remember the basic first, perhaps this knowledge will be useful in the future. Next is some shooting and landing on the heli-carrier.’

 

[Warning! User experienced dizziness, attempting to assist the user through nutrition fluid. Checking for supply and availability….]

[All the type of nutrients available. Choosing the most suitable for the current user. Packing the nutrition fluid in the form of a medium sized box with lemon flavor]

 

Wright heard many voices, especially the one that gave a sound like it was important. He tried to just get this done with because he was afraid that he overdid his time. Two hours and the only progress he had was just the very first stage with a chopper as the training vehicle, he knew that some people were watching his progress too.

 

As he pressed the usual button to exit the simulation and open the module, he found that he was unable to successfully exit the simulation.

 

“What is happening!? Exit! I am done with this for today. If I’m lucky, I can come and train here tomorrow but now I am tired, I can only move my finger and mouth. The…hell is this?”

 

Wright saw the warning the screen had displayed and he read it all until the recent one where it gave Wright a nutrition fluid. Wright turned to his right where he could see a medium-sized box that appeared like juice box but the box was so unattractive.

 

“Sir Callahan, just now N-0821 started to release a portion of its nutrition fluid. Should we continue on?” the staff asked the man with the eyeglasses that currently grabbed something from his coat.

 

“Keep monitoring.” Callahan just said with a stern tone.

“But when Sergeant comes and question…” the other staff wanted to argue but Callahan gave his answer as fast as they open their mouth, “Just say to him that the module with the series of N-0821 is in experimental running and we are responsible to watch its every move and every record of the user at the same time, is that clear?”

 

“As you wish Sir.” They could only reply with the tacit agreement. They all knew that Callahan was a specialist affiliated with Multinational Corporation Longen and even their empire had a few connections with this corporation. Especially its military unit, they mainly relied on the technology Longen had given to run their military exercise and be their power.

 

Wright felt strange when he saw that announcement stating the nutrition fluid was flavored in lemon. That was his favorite flavor for drink actually and the module just gave it to him.

 

‘What is this module doing? I have never heard a module like this. But unfortunately, I can’t lift my hand…’ Wright thought were interrupted by the movement of something near the nutrition fluid box. Something entered the box and then something was placed onto his mouth.

 

‘This…is a straw. This module even assists me in this manner. Is it trying to make me ready for accomplishing the simulation?’

 

Wright forced himself to drink the fluid. He did not expect the nutrition fluid to be so effective at replenishing his stamina and his attention returned to him while he still savored the flavor of it, enjoying its sourness.

 

“Guess it’s time for a second round?” Wright continued on where he had left.

 

-

 

The Simulation Room was opened suddenly because some people entered it in haste. Mostly, the soldier appeared from the door that opened vertically walked neither faster nor slower and always following the movement of a man.

 

“Where is that Callahan!? How dare he just randomly pick someone to use that module.” The man shouted loudly, piercing the calmness the room usually had.

 

“Sergeant Hart, we are trying to get that module in the experimental running for the new recruits as to ascertain the module performance in support and the user capability to get the result they want.” Callahan dropped his eyeglasses slightly, looking at Hart with his cold eyes. He was going to Pasteur Branch Unit to do some test-run on the newest module on people like Wright so he did not want anyone from the military to use it.

 

‘That module is also experiencing its first time service. There is no way I will let him taint it with some experienced pilots. Anyway, he wants to pressure me both by his position or his uncle position in the corporation, that won’t work on me today.’ Callahan only looked at Hart, his eyes indicating that he taunted Hart.

 

“What do you mean by that!? This module here is the most suitable for an experienced pilot. Even better if you give it to the member of Skylark Squadron. But here you are, rationalizing your deed with such an argument. If you don’t explain clearly your reason for this then I can make anything you want to do to be delayed! See if you can still develop anything according to your strict schedule.” Sergeant Hart spoke with force in his voice.

 

“An explanation, I see. Let me be honest with you, the real purpose of this module is to create a better ‘nuggets’ for the Air Force around the world. Do you know that I come to this empire is because of the fact that this empire lacks potential in terms of a new talented pilot? This place is the best to test my module and train one subject to see the progress.” Callahan shrugged his shoulders, opening both arms while smiling confidently.

 

“But the problem is, we have a high chance to be engaged in a conflict with the neighboring country and we need to strengthen the entire military to prepare them in case the situation really happen. Besides, your experimental module is limited while the recruits this year is greater in number. What are you going to do to all of them?” Sergeant Hart thought that the usage of the module would allow the elite of their military to gain increased strength that allowed the empire to prepare for the worst and be able to turn the tide of battle.

 

Callahan understood what Hart wanted to achieve. Strengthening the elites of the empire was indeed a faster solution to increase the might of the empire but in war, they had to count every small unit that involved in it.

 

‘Although that is good, it is also gambling. I don’t understand the motivation behind his words but to only make their elite better. I feel that something is not right and I better keep going on with the subject is the new recruit.’ Callahan speculated that something behind his knowledge was brewing in this very empire but he was unable to do anything anyway other than continuing his experiment.

 

“All of them? I will only select a few people to be my test subject. If successful, I will consider the mass production of this module and your empire will gain special treatment for buying this module. Too bad I need approval and the positive rapport from the higher-ups. Besides, I also gained approval from Your Majesty Frizgerald X to conduct my experiment with this empire’s regulation. What are you going to do going against the emperor?” Callahan just casually spoke this when he noticed the stiffness from Sergeant Hart.

 

“You…don’t tell me about this from the start! If it’s from the Emperor then you should tell me sooner, damn it.” Hart barked when he heard it. He felt restless when Callahan used the approval from the emperor and it only showed for a moment before he conducted himself as usual.

 

‘Hmm, strange reaction.’ Callahan did not care about that slight change as it was obvious there was something inside that head of Hart.

 

Then Hart went away from the simulation room with a harrumph. The soldiers that followed him also left together in an orderly manner.

2