Chapter 7: First Real Life Mock Battle
42 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Meanwhile, at a certain place in Pasteur City, the downtown where some large layers of glasses showed numerous advertisement over the buildings was also the place the oldest orphanage known in the Pasteur City existed.

 

The building for this orphanage was in the old, middle age style where they still had their old artistic style for every aspect of the buildings. Every people who saw it can instantly recognize its difference from the other building because of that.

 

Around the building was a small garden, filled with various playgrounds for kids in the kindergarten, some lamps to light the garden and the grass that unique to the orphanage alone. After the announcement of war three days ago, the adults who usually took care of the people in the orphanage now was in great distress.

 

“What should we do? If this situation goes in the worse direction, I am afraid we will not sustain for even half a month.” An old woman sighed after letting the frustrating thing on her mind out.

 

“Please don’t be so pessimistic, Grandma Berchel. I am sure there will be a way for people like us in these difficult times. It’s just that I don’t find it yet.” Beside the old woman was someone who tried to comfort her.

 

“But Cynthia, you still don’t understand how severe conflict can bring us, the commoner, to what extent we will have to suffer. Sadly, you don’t experience those conflict in the past so you will not understand.” Grandma Berchel smiled when she heard Cynthia said things with her confidence.

 

“Even if the possibility is there, but we still have a chance to avoid those right?” Cynthia asked but she did not know the exact answer.

 

“That, I don’t even know. Hey, little angel…” some kids then ran to the front of Grandma Berchel, asking her to pat them. She only did what she had done for so long, greeted every child that comes to her.

 

“Granny…is something the matter?” a curious girl asked after feeling the unusual atmosphere around. Her eyes only reflected her curiosity, there was no impureness in her gaze and her tone.

 

“Yes, there is. Why did you come to find granny this time?” Granma Berchel also understood that the girl came at a slightly wrong time. And as she anticipated, there was something that caused all of this.

 

“Can one of you tell me what is this all about?” Cynthia also urged the children to quickly answer her question.

 

“Someone is just outside and the uncles are meeting the person now. Because of that… no one can accompany us.” A nine-year-old boy said. He just followed the other because the others were more familiar with the situation and what to do about it.

 

“Is that so? Well then, why don’t we go there together?” Cynthia suggested Granma Berchel. The children became excited to go together.

 

“It’s better to look for our guest. There is no harm in seeing them anyway.”

 

What they did not expect was the people who visited them. They came from the government as someone among them was responsible for the orphanage. It was rather unexpected because they acted rather fast to do something just after the negotiation at the Hourglass Tower failed.

 

‘It is them? How can they come so fast? There is no possibility of any open war and yet they already prepare something in mind.’ Looking at the clothes the government people wore, some of them were even nobles from a prestigious family. And this only made Cynthia restless as well. The orphanage was mostly populated by kids and teenagers, their necessities were quite big and now the possibilities of them seeing the soon-to-be hell on earth called war was a possibility made Cynthia worried.

 

Cynthia unconsciously grabbed her clothes, gripped it tightly without the intention to let it go.

 

“Greetings to the elder everyone, don’t embarrass your family.” One of the visitors suddenly said so loudly, letting the rest of their group stood up and properly said their greetings.

 

“You all should just tell us immediately, if this is important enough then you can do without formalities.” Grandma Berchel said calmly although she knew one or two things about it.

 

“No can do. This is the morals and principle of our parents and empire, there’s no way we will just go to the conversation without respecting the elderly first.” That was their reason for the greetings.

 

“Alright, we have something that needs the permit and the agreement from the elder, the time is short on our side so while looking at this paper…I will explain the general situation the entire civilian in the empire is going to do.” Some of the government people came with some paper, moving rather slow and when they arrived in front of Grandma Berchel their body lowered and their gaze was at the very least equal in position.

 

“So you all have the same thought about this? That the war has a high chance to get far inside our territory. Honestly, I know that this is rather inevitable but are you sure this will even work?” for Berchel who had experienced her share of wartime, she knew the lowest point in a war and the action she would take from this had a higher chance to save the lives of the people under her. When she thought about it, there was also someone else that flashed inside her mind.

 

“That’s the plan, more or less. Honestly, Madam, we don’t even want to do this but since the negotiation failed, the best we can do is to evacuate the civilian from the potential danger zone.”

 

-

 

All the matter for Orwan Empire was to establish their military forces as fast as possible. The condition for the negotiation was rather unreasonable even for standard, it felt like there was no intention for peace talks from the very start. The reporters that day, on the other hand, felt excitement as the news was a hot piece of meat ready to be served.

 

For three days, the main theme from newspaper and daily news were related to the negotiation and the preparation for the conflict. No joke, the entire continent spread and knew about this conflict but they were playing side watch, silently observing the entirety of the situation. As for the superpower from another continent, they jumped at the opportunity to gain some relation to Ridgar Empire. The main reason because the Orwan Empire was the main backyards for Longen Multinational Corporation. One thing for sure, this conflict was a ‘Proxy War’.

 

And in the middle of it all was Wright. Now some result of the training in the militia bore some results. His stamina increased and his build was a bit tough than before.

 

At this time, it marked one month after the failed negotiation. Its detail was not disclosed but instead, a treaty was made to buy time for the civilian of Orwan Empire to get them to safety. This was in their doctrine after all.

 

Wright moved his body again to the Virtual Room as instructed by the Instructor. Although there is some change in the attitude, Sheperd still seriously did his job.

 

Entering the designated module, Wright begins his virtual training once again. He just wanted to test his capabilities as of now. The most hateful training for Wright was the G-force training as he was still not used to it.

 

Now he adjusted his physical capabilities with his skill. He wanted to know whether it is already in a good state or his physical limitation restrained his movement.

 

“Ah, I don’t know really. Should I be happy or sad? Sure I can improve my flying skill and my physical capabilities but it is because of the impending conflict. Even a month ago, I barely reach the finish line and marked as the last sheep by Instructor Sheperd.” Wright was reminded of his time at the militia.

 

“Ugh…fifteen…” when Wright tried to do push-ups, he just got past ten and his arm felt heavy and hard to move. Only after a month of rigorous training menu did Wright could surpass fifty push-ups in one go.

 

Wright then focused himself on the simulated mission inside the virtual world. His plane was the same as before and this time Wright had to shoot down all the bombers in the airspace.

 

He moved his plane rather fast to get to his target as soon as possible. Only after that Wright shot the missile to the easy target bomber.

 

“Missile hit!” Wright exclaimed but the bomber still flew albeit the speed and its turning speed decreased so much it looked pathetic. He thought that the missile did not hit the critical area of the bomber or the entire bomber was rather sturdy.

 

Then Wright slowly closing his distance. He wanted to see that part of the bomber. After only he determined the place did Wright use his mounted gun to shoot at that particular place. After ten rounds, something exploded from inside.

 

“Aiming at its bomb bay sure is effective huh.” Wright took note of this information. There was a formation after he met the closest bomber which he had to intercept. Otherwise, they could bomb the place Wright had to protect.

 

Then Wright did an Immelmann Turn in the quickest way possible and applied full thrust to his craft. Since this virtual mission was solely air to air combat, Wright equipped his jet with all air-to-air missile.

 

He switched to the secondary weapon which could target multiple targets and had longer distance than his standard primary weapon, the heat-seeking AMRAAM. Three of the four targets was hit and shot down while they let out flares as to not let the missile hit.

 

The last one managed to dodge it since the missile aimed towards the flare instead of the bomber craft. In the same way, Wright gunned that last survivor to its demise.

 

“Fortunately, they consist of the bomber without an escort. No, the type of the bomber is also not the one with various guns in it so it can be said to be easy.” But to Wright, he used his real physical condition as to test his capability.

 

It was barely enough…he felt tremendous pressure when he did that Immelmann Turn. If he had to do it continuously, he might even faint and risked himself to get crash.

 

“Time’s out.” Wright then looked at the clock and it was thirty minutes since he entered the module. The module opened up and Wright could see several faces he recognized. One of them was Callahan Straight that grabbed his glass while his hands held several papers.

 

Other than that there was also that young man who was so chatty if not noisy. His silver-colored hair was apparent and obvious in the militia so even Wright could identify him at once. He was talking like his life depends solely on it.

 

“He’s here, everybody. The unofficial favorite recruit this time should have asked for relation purpose but looks like it is still too late.” He said.

“Excuse me? You are the one that gives everyone my moniker, huh. I should give you one in kind then, Motormouth.” Wright smiled wryly when anyone mentioned about that nickname and he thought about this person.

 

Since he was always talking, might as well regard that mouth of his ran by something like a motor. Of course, this is only Wright opinion and no one ever called him that.

 

“What did you just say!?” somehow he was triggered and looked angry.

“Oh, come on now. I think you expect this turn of events already since you look mostly disappointed than angry for being called that.” Wright did not expect that the man was triggered for a different reason though.

 

“Yeah, but Motormouth sounds like I will keep talking until I am out of juice.”

“Imagine that, coming from his mouth…” a fellow recruit pointed out.

 

“Hahaha…” they laughed for a short moment before coming out of the room. And once again, Wright had to meet with Callahan once more to do something. As for what it was, only the two of them knew.

 

But in the evening, Instructor Sheperd barged to the barrack and residence of the recruit, giving them an immediate notice with the speaker in front of his mouth. His voice could be heard throughout the entire Branch and the 44th Cluster unit had to ready.

 

“On this day, you from the 44th Cluster unit finally have its turn to visit one of our operational airbases. I don’t know whether this is fate or something else but we are going there with the 88th Cluster unit. And should I mention to you all that this is not a fricking summer camp!?” Instructor Sheperd screamed like directly in front of Wright.

 

Wright felt annoyed. He knew that somehow or not, he was the only one to get the most difficult time when just doing something basic. Wright endured it because he better made that his motivation instead.

 

‘At first, I am angry at being picked by Instructor Sheperd but now, I do not care anymore as long as I can improve myself.’ Wright thought for himself.

 

Wright could see everyone gazes at him was different compared to a month ago. At first, they looked at him with pity, hell some of them looked at him with disdain. Being picked by the instructor and also by Callahan when they underwent Virtual Training. Because of this, he gained the nickname of ‘Unofficial Favorite Recruit’ among his peers.

 

The location of the airbase was 10 km away from Pasteur City and also at the region of Taz Mountain Range. Hence the name of the airbase was Taz Air Base. They came to that place by military truck and they even had to bring their clothes, necessities, as well as the latest performance score in both virtual training and G-force training.

 

At that day, the recruits saw numerous training jets around the airbase. Wright could see that they would train their ability in this place.

 

-

 

“All right, then. So how are you feeling there?” a voice came from the radio. Wright who had worn his pilot clothes now seated on the cockpit of the real jet fighter. It was the CS-12 Crow in the flesh and Wright took a long, deep breath when he saw numerous device at the front of his face.

 

“Good, just like in the virtual module,” Wright replied. Now he was on his way with his jet to the runway for take-off.

 

“Good to hear. Now then, you are Mosquito Twenty. You fellow wingman is already up and good. After you start going up there can the mock training start.” The voice continued.

 

Wright raised his head and saw numerous small dots in the sky. He was the last one to take-off and his 44th was named Mosquito Squadron.

 

“Roger that, Air Trafic Control. Make sure to remember that my TAC name is Raven and it is good as done.” Wright felt excitement this time. He was in one, genuine aircraft that would take him to that sky. And before he went to the cockpit, Instructor Shepherd gave them all something.

 

And that was about their first real training. Wright then accelerated his jet, raising its speed so it could reach the necessary speed to gain altitude. And then the next order came for Wright from his unit.

 

“Is that you Unofficial Favorite Recruit? You better regroup with us at three thousand feet. This is Mosquito one to Mosquito Twenty, regroup and form an element.”

“Wilco, flight leader.”

 

Wright could recognize his squadron by the mark they had on their tail. Wright’s “Crow” as people called CS-12 also had one. It was the picture of the mosquito with its black body and some white spot on its belly while its proboscis was like a rapier. That was the emblem of Mosquito Squadron.

 

Then Wright gained altitude, positioned himself at the back of the squadron and wait for further orders. For this mock training, they were unequipped and only had a gun as their only weapon. The formation was good and the weather was also as the clouds did not hinder their movement.

 

“Both squadrons prepare for battle in 10 seconds.” The tower gave instructions to all the aircraft in the air. Wright could see far away in front of him the same number of his opponents' aircraft from the 88th Cluster Unit.

 

“5, 4, 3, 2, 1…begin the battle!”

 

The distance between both squadrons got closer before they had to pass each other and then the mock battle finally began. Wright and his wingmen had to take some distance before they turned around and see the other’s jet.

 

How to win this battle? It was simple as its main objective was to get a lock-on in five seconds to be recognized as downing a bogey. But with the numbers of participant alone, this could turn into a furball quickly.

 

“Hehe, I got you.” One of Wright’s wingmen got a lock-on with one of the opponent’s aircraft.

“Hey, Sparrow Six. Enemy Radar Spike!” one of the wingmen from the opposition warned the one that got a lock-on.

“Taking evasive maneuvers.” The one recognized as Sparrow Six then banked to the right as fast as it could and its speed surprised its pursuer. Meanwhile, some of their wingmen locked-on the aircraft from Mosquito Squadron.

 

“That voice…it sure is a long time.” Wright was surprised to hear that voice to be honest. But he had to put it aside as two Sparrow Squadron’s aircraft was tailing behind him. He jinxed to the left before he did a Split-S and managed to shake off one of them.

 

Some tried their best to get a lock and maintain that situation while some others had to be the one to get a lock-on and shake off their opponent. The situation turned into a furball as each aircraft was restrained by each other.

 

But Wright was also watching both his friendly and his opponent was mixed and it was easier for him to change his target in immediate. Rather focusing on one, he better look for a perfect opportunity to lock-on to a target that could fall into his range.

 

And the opportunity presented itself as one aircraft was passing overhead of Wright’s aircraft. With an optimistic smile, Wright decided to take this aircraft out of the battle.

 

“Raven has locked-on the opponent,” Wright announced.

“Damn! He got a lock on me. I’ll not let you!” the one Wright had a lock had already raised his altitude. Wright kept following on his tail in hot pursuit. Some of his wingmen also locked-on Wright’s plane but Wright moved his plane so that the lock his opponent got was interrupted while maintaining his own.

 

“Phew, it is hard to lock on your opponent while they also have a lock on you,” Wright commented as he did several maneuvers already just to do that. The G-force he got was quite large even for the current him.

 

“3…2…1…you’re done for!” the moment Wright counted it to the exact moment his enemy had been eliminated from his radar, he turned right as soon as possible.

 

“The first blood confirmed for Mosquito Squadron.” Mosquito One commented and he finally noticed a single aircraft was chased down by six.

 

“Whoa, they are so passionate about getting a lock on me now. Guess gaining attention is not as good as it should.” Wright felt the difficulty in escaping their line of sight as there were more than five of them and shook them off prove to be difficult.

 

“That Favorite Recruit…well he is still part of our squadron so let’s make him owe us a favor. Here I come. Mosquito One engaging!”

“Wait a minute. Motormouth!?” Wright was confused at first when he heard the voice came from his flight leader but that person was the Motormouth.

 

“Shut up! I am here for the kill. Got a lock!” Wright looked back and saw behind his pursuer three more CS-12 with mosquito emblem on their tail. This situation was exactly like a certain line, Mantis stalks the cicada unaware of the oriole behind.

 

Wright then raised the nose of his craft, he wanted to make a loop so that the planes on his tail reduced. And indeed some of them broke out of pursuit because even if they followed him, they would be a goner since they got a lock and they should break the lock from their craft.

 

“Another one down!” shouted the Motormouth. Sadly, it was also the case for their squadron as well.

 

“Ugh, he’s persistent.” The pilot was glad when some of Sparrow Squadron’s aircraft was reduced but he did not have time to savor it as another two jets was tailing him from his six and eight.

 

While the furball happened, the one on the ground still looked at the condition of each pilot. Callahan also watched things unfold from the airbase as the dogfight continued. In front of him was a monitor which showed the status of each pilot.

 

Meanwhile, on his hands, several papers that contained the previous data from virtual training was used as the reference. He readjusted his glasses and separated one paper from another.

 

‘There is indeed an improvement. A big gap of progress with that prototype module is seen in this training.’ Thought Callahan. Several profiles could be seen on the paper, including Wright.

 

‘Their endurance of high G-force as well as a basic understanding of the situation with only their instinct…hmm…’

 

Many thoughts of other possibilities raced inside Callahan but he just had to observe the result of the first month. He could see good results but would this last or just temporary? Furthermore, what their reaction to the real conflict would like and would it affect their current ability?

 

These question would be left unanswered if there was no conflict. For Callahan though, the conflict was both a blessing and a disaster. He just hoped the empire planned well of their citizen, otherwise…

 

“Mosquito Twenty, watch your six!” Wright heard the warning and he accelerated when he could single out his pursuer. After his third successful elimination of the target, Wright was chased by this one aircraft.

 

“Sparrow Six, you better do it to that pilot. He’s rather annoying.” One of Sparrow Squadron suggested.

“Roger that.”

 

Wright then moved in an unpredictable pattern, trying to see what response the one on his tail would give. When Wright looked behind, he could see the aircraft slowly lost its lock on him. What surprised Wright was that the aircraft then moved in a manner so that Wright would be brought to where it wanted Wright to be.

 

‘The pilot is good. I am going to give him that.’ Wright then banked to the left while the one on his tail moved to the right. And then they changed their turning directly to the exact opposite of their previous turn, directing their planes to meet each other.

 

Wright could not turn his situation around as their capabilities were similar. Their craft crisscrossed each other for the first time and then Wright tried to lower his speed so that he would make the opponent overshoot instead.

 

‘Now is the time!’ Wright finally saw the jet of his opponent and ended the scissors, effectively got a lock.

 

But to his expectation, his opponent moved upward suddenly and Wright could not respond quickly in kind. Wright lost the lock and moved his jet to find another target that was easier to target.

 

And then just as their training ongoing, a strange event occurred in the vicinity of their airspace. One of the squadrons noticed this and got distracted.

 

“Wait a moment, all units…” one of the Mosquito jets then stopped maneuvering and leveled his plane which the pursuer used to get a lock on him and made this person lost the mock battle. But for this person, something was bothering him and it was far more important than their mock battle.

 

“What? You want to make an excuse for your loss?” mocked his pursuer.

 

“No, it is not like that. ATC, do you see that on your radar?” asked the pilot.

“All aircraft on the current airspace, please cease action and listen.” The guys from ATC immediately contacted everyone on both cluster unit and then send the notification to sound the siren.

 

“We’ll restore all your IFF to friendlies. I just hope it is not like that pilot said…”

 

At a high altitude above the clouds, several objects were moving at high speed. The numbers were not much but their presence was rather troublesome since they could only detect it now.

0